Determine the position vector of ##C##

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of summarizing content. The person speaking is an expert in summarization and only provides a summary of the content, rather than responding to questions. The instruction is to write a summary without any other information before it.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations
Vectors
Highlighted part only...

1686587242715.png

Part (a) was easy ##2\sqrt 5##.

For part (b),

...##BC=4i+2j##

it follows that,

##OC=OB+BC##

##OC=3i+5j+4i+2j=7i+7j## correct? any other better approach guys!

For part (c),

I will form the equations as follows;

Let ##D(x,y)## then,

##x-4=2(4-3)##

and

##y-4=2(4-5)## where M=##(4,4)##

##x=6, y=2##,

part (d) - Kite.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (b). you have simply asserted that [itex]BC = 4\mathrm{i} + 2\mathrm{j}[/itex]. This is correct, but you need to justify it by solving [tex]
20 = |AB|^2 = |BC|^2 = (p - 3)^2 + (p - 5)^2.[/tex]

Likes chwala

Related to Determine the position vector of ##C##

What is a position vector?

A position vector is a vector that extends from a reference point (often the origin of a coordinate system) to a specific point in space, representing the position of that point relative to the reference point.

How do you determine the position vector of point C in 2D space?

To determine the position vector of point C in 2D space, you need the coordinates of point C, say (x, y). The position vector is then given by ##\mathbf{r_C} = x\mathbf{i} + y\mathbf{j}##, where ##\mathbf{i}## and ##\mathbf{j}## are the unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

How do you determine the position vector of point C in 3D space?

In 3D space, the position vector of point C is determined using its coordinates (x, y, z). The position vector is given by ##\mathbf{r_C} = x\mathbf{i} + y\mathbf{j} + z\mathbf{k}##, where ##\mathbf{i}##, ##\mathbf{j}##, and ##\mathbf{k}## are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

What is the significance of the position vector in physics and engineering?

The position vector is fundamental in physics and engineering as it allows for the description of the location of points in space. It is used in various applications such as determining displacement, velocity, and acceleration vectors, as well as in fields like mechanics, electromagnetism, and robotics.

Can the position vector of point C change over time?

Yes, the position vector of point C can change over time if point C is moving. In such cases, the position vector is a function of time, and its time derivatives can provide information about the velocity and acceleration of point C.