Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to share with everyone what I found earlier today. Check it out. It's awesome! NASA Goes to the FIFA World Cup 2010::biggrin:
http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/worldcup2010/index.html

I feel grand. Sort of like I'm there in a special kind of way. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Results 26-27th:

Uruguay - South Korea (2-1)
U.S.A. - Ghana(1-2)
Germany - England (4-1)
Argentina - Mexico (3-1)

Scoring Table
Code:
Member      June 26-27 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------------
Monique           1-2                   29
D H               L-2                   26
Bob               2-2                   25
cristo            L-1                   24
zomgwtf           3-2                   22
estro             o-o                   16
Dadface           1-1                   16
Borg              2-1                   12
I fixed my score as well. +1 point

Netherlands - Slovakia (2 - 0)
Brazil - Chili (2 - 0)

I'm only interested in Brazil winning.:biggrin:

Brazil - Chili (4 - 1)

Am I the only one bothered by the continual insistence in the media that Ghana is Africa's white knight in the tournament? I'm not going to turn the TV on the cheer on Mexico as the last North American team; I can't imagine that everyone in Africa is desperately hoping that Ghana wins their next game. Unfortunately Africa doesn't have American media, so we don't have ten thousand online polls informing us of their opinion

Office_Shredder said:
Am I the only one bothered by the continual insistence in the media that Ghana is Africa's white knight in the tournament? I'm not going to turn the TV on the cheer on Mexico as the last North American team; I can't imagine that everyone in Africa is desperately hoping that Ghana wins their next game. Unfortunately Africa doesn't have American media, so we don't have ten thousand online polls informing us of their opinion

Uh the vast majority of Africans are definitely supporting Ghana... You from Canada around the GTA? Go check out Jane and Wilson after/during a game. All those Africans aren't just Ghanaian.

EDIT: Actually I think you're a white American. Obviously you aren't going to go and cheer on Mexico as the lasst remaining team from North America. I hardly expect you to understand what goes in Africa since white Americans always compare the rest of the population of the world to what goes on in their nation.

Office_Shredder said:
zomgwtf said:
Uh the vast majority of Africans are definitely supporting Ghana... You from Canada around the GTA? Go check out Jane and Wilson after/during a game. All those Africans aren't just Ghanaian.

EDIT: Actually I think you're a white American. Obviously you aren't going to go and cheer on Mexico as the lasst remaining team from North America. I hardly expect you to understand what goes in Africa since white Americans always compare the rest of the population of the world to what goes on in their nation.

You two are spoiling my fun! This is the first time I’ve done this poll stuff.
As I stated in post #319:
ViewsofMars said:
I'm only interested in Brazil winning.:biggrin:

Brazil - Chili (4 - 1)

By the way zomgwtf, I am an American. Born and raised in America. I’m Irish, French, German, and Latin. Yeah, I'm a white American, but I'm San Tropez tan now since I've been sun bathing at the beach. Color of a person has nothing to do with sports as far as I am concerned.

Brazil is a huge national soccer team. People from everywhere cheer them on regardless of nationality. That comes as no surprise either. As well it's not colour that I was talking about, it was culture.

Junior just sent me these links:

http://i.imgur.com/C4XYT.png

From the top:

Optical illusions
right orange circle looks to be larger
parallel lines look as if they were skewed
elephants look as if they were of different sizes
ball looks as if it were behind goal line

http://i.imgur.com/Tj5ie.jpg

zomgwtf said:
Brazil is a huge national soccer team. People from everywhere cheer them on regardless of nationality. That comes as no surprise either. As well it's not colour that I was talking about, it was culture.

I wouldn't describe culture as a color. You did say to zomgwtf, "Actually I think you're a white American. Obviously you aren't going to go and cheer on Mexico as the lasst remaining team from North America. I hardly expect you to understand what goes in Africa since white Americans always compare the rest of the population of the world to what goes on in their nation." I am rooting for Brazil because I have *friends* from Brazil that are Brazilian. I'll leave it at that. I was having fun on this topic until now. Good day.

Brazil 1 - 2 Chile

Been watching the World Cup 2010 since the beginning and was sorry to see USA go out in the first game of round of 16.

However it looks like Argentina will be the team to beat in this series.

With no North American teams to root for I will be watching the Argentines closely.

ViewsofMars said:
I wouldn't describe culture as a color. You did say to zomgwtf, "Actually I think you're a white American. QUOTE]

Right because African-American culture is the same as white American culture. Don't be naive. White American is a colour AND a culture. I'm pretty sure it was clear I was talking about the culture aspect when I started talking about AFRICANS, since that's not a colour. Or do you just assume all Africans are black?

Let's just stop assuming things. I've seen many people cheering for Ghana, if that makes them happy, why not.

Tomorrows matches:
Paraguay - Japan (1-0)
Spain - Portugal (2-0)

Paraguay - Japan (1 - 1 in regulation) Final (2 - 1)
Spain - Portugal (2 - 1)

Paraguay-Japan(1,2)
Spain-Portugal(2,1)

Paraguay - Japan (1-2)
Spain - Portugal (1-1) [Portugal wins in penalties]

Paraguay - Japan (2-0)
Spain - Portugal (1-0)

I would have been real interested to hear what the referee and the assistant referee said to each other after the first Argentinian goal yesterday. You know the center referee just couldn't believe Tevez could possibly have been onside.

Really strange game after that. I couldn't believe there was no card for the two handed shove (nor could I believe Ian Darte's commentary on it). Plus whatever the heck was going on near the tunnel at halftime.

Bad call and Mexico responded with a total meltdown. England at least has a beef about their call. Sure they got burnt on break-aways at the end, but at least they were still plugging away at finding a tying goal.

Last edited:
Paraguay - Japan (1-0)
Spain - Portugal (1-0)

Paraguay - Japan (1-0)
Spain - Portugal (2-1)

Hmm Spain/Portugal not sure what to make of it both are great teams, I'm sure Spain will win but the score? Not so sure about that one lol :-p,

Haven't been around for a while. What has been decided about overtime/penalty shoot-outs?

Wow! That was heart-breaking!

Gokul43201 said:
Haven't been around for a while. What has been decided about overtime/penalty shoot-outs?

Guess the score for entire game + overtime. If it goes to penalty shots then it's counted as a draw. I think at least.

So todays game Japan/Paraguay was 0-0 tie.

zomgwtf said:
Guess the score for entire game + overtime. If it goes to penalty shots then it's counted as a draw. I think at least.

So todays game Japan/Paraguay was 0-0 tie.

And no paradinhos and no sports bras. I guess they save the sports bras for the final?

Any picks on the Germany vs. Netherlands game?

Germany vs Netherlands?

My predictions for the friday games:
Netherlands - Brazil (0 - 2) :cry:
Uruguay - Ghana (1 - 0)

I am a little late, but I believe from the 28', to the 70' in the Ger - Eng. game was one of the greatest games I have watched since the 07-08 champions league championship match!

Results for 28th & 29th :

Netherlands - Slovakia (2-1)
Brazil - Chile (3-0)
Paraguay - Japan (0-0)
Spain - Portugal (1-0)

Using the scoring system described in zomg's post (#338) above:

Scoring Table
Code:
Member      June 28+29 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------------
Monique           2+1                   32
D H               2+2                   30
Bob               2+2                   29
cristo            3+1                   28
zomgwtf           3+1                   26
Dadface           1+1                   18
Borg              3+1                   16
estro             o+0                   16

Please make sure scores are accurate.

Last edited:
Netherlands-Brazil (1-3)
Uruguay-Ghana (2-0)

Netherlands - Brazil (1-2)
Uruguay - Ghana (1-1) (Ghana winning in shootout HOPEFULLY)

Blackstarsss!

All of you will be wrong.
Netherlands vs. Brazil (0-3)
Uruguay vs. Ghana (1-0)

Let's see who gets the most right. I'm going to go watch the games now.

oops, got the names mixed up Brazil-Chile
sorry

Mr.Penguin said:
Let's see who gets the most right. I'm going to go watch the games now.
Now? That must be an awfully long pre-game show!

Gokul43201 said:
Wow! That was heart-breaking!

Japan vs. Paraguay, or Spain vs. Portugal?

My grandparents (on my father's side) are from Vila Real, Portugal. I am, indeed, heart-broken. They played very well, though.

Edit: Nevermind; I just noticed the time of your post. :redface:

Last edited:
Netherlands - Brazil (1 - 2)
Uruguay - Ghana (2 - 0)