Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
ZapperZ said:
Evo, Moonbie: wish you were here.

Zz.
Will you be able to post pictures?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
This is definitely going on the wedding registry. :biggrin:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=13527&Product_Id=175844
god, Zz, you'd better have an american express platinum card with moonbear as your wife..

Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
god, Zz, you'd better have an american express platinum card with moonbear as your wife..
:smile: No, that's why it goes on the registry, to hope someone else might buy it for us. It's sooooooo cute, but WAY out of my budget, and after ZZ buys me that big house with the big yard for me to plant a Mickey garden for him, I don't think we'll have much left for splurging on artwork. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
Will you be able to post pictures?

Yes, I can. Haven't been doing that since I basically got back to the hotel exhausted. But tonight was an easy evening since I spent a wonderful time at friends' house and a quite lovely dinner.

So here are a few pictures from the past 2 days. The first one was on the first day and the obligatory picture of the most wonderful sight - the entrance into Disney World.

The second is the view from my room on the 16th floor of the Grosvenor hotel looking right at Downtown Disney. The third is my attempted at an "artistic" shot at the "golf ball", which is Spaceship Earth at Epcot.

We had a great time today at The Animal Kingdom. I found out that I misread the location of the surprise pin that was released a few days ago. It is at the Animal Kingdom LODGE. I'll go there in a couple of days and get it then when we go out there for our dinner at Boma. I also got the It's A Small World jumbo pin that was released more than a month ago. I sort of lost hope of getting it since I didn't see it at the Pin stores at Downtown Disney, Magic Kingdom, and Epcot. But surprise, surprise, the Animal Kingdom Merchantile store had it! And it's as gorgeous as it was in the picture!

Tomorrow, I pick up friends from the airport, and we'll be doing the Magic Kingdom all day and evening. We have a dinner researvation at the Liberty Tree Tavern at the theme park. This is dinner with the characters (Minnie and friends, it says). And then we will stick around for Spectromagic if it isn't raining. The park will be closed at 8:00 pm, so no Wishes fireworks.

I'm off to bed early so I can up and perky tomorrow. So good night, sleep tight, and have a magical dream!

Zz.

Last edited:
More pictures!

The first one was from inside the "canyon" at the Contemporary Resort, where we had our lunch after picking up the surprise "Bored Meeting" pin. The second is the evening view from Cinderella's Castle looking down at Main Street, USA at the Magic Kingdom. It was obvioiusly a wet evening.

Zz.

Last edited:
Where's your wedding party held?

I got the pin! I got the pin! I got the pin! And it's adorable! Thanks ZZ! :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)

Moonbear said:
I got the pin! I got the pin! I got the pin! And it's adorable! Thanks ZZ! :!) :!) :!) :!) :!)

Oh goody! I'm so happy! Hopefully, Evo got hers.

Had a great day yesterday. Did Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mickey Philharmagic, teacups, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc. But the highlight of the day was the dinner with the characters at Liberty Tree Tavern. Evo and Moonbie, if you ever join me at WDW, we MUST do dinner there! It's a hoot! You have Minnie, Goofy, Chip&Dale, and Pluto, all dressed up in colonial outfit (except Pluto) and walking around the place visiting all the tables multiple times. I got a lot of pictures (will upload it later when I have better connections).

We stayed for Wishes (no spectromagic) even though it was raining. Got partially drenched, but I didn't care. I was having a lot of fun.

Today, we do Disney/MGM Studios in the morning, and then hop on over to Epcot for afternoon/evening.

Zz.

Here are a couple of pictures from our fun dinner. Both Pluto and Dale found the food so good, they came and sit at our table!

Zz.

Last edited:
Yesterday was one of those RARE days that will be remembered for a long time. We started out at Disney/MGM Studios. We did Tower of Terror twice, Rock 'N' Rollercoaster, Muppets 3D, and The Great Movie Ride. Then we hopped to Epcot and did Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, had dinner at Marrekesh in the Morroco pavillion, and then ended the evening with Illuminations.

But while at Epcot, since I own a Disney Visa card, we had another special character greetings. It is common to have a character picture with Mickey, or Minnie, or Goofy. But when was the last time someone had ALL THREE in one location at the SAME TIME? Certainly never happened to me. That's what we got yesterday! We had pictures with all three of them at the same time, in one picture! It was wonderful! Mickey and Minnie in one picture alone is rare, but having Goofy at the same time is just unheard of!

And the bad part about it was that there weren't any lines waiting for such a picture. Either not many Disney visa cardholders knew about it, or most of them have left. The theme parks were very, very sparse (again, as I've said before, this is one of the best time to come to WDW - no crowds!).

Today, we will be doing the Animal Kingdom again, and hop back to Epcot later in the afternoon to pick up our registration packages for the Happiest Pin Celebration event that will officially begin tomorrow. All the cast members we have talked to unanimously said that it will be the largest pin event every held anywhere in Disney property. And us amateurs will be a part of it! :)

Zz.

Spent the morning yesterday at Animal Kingdom, and then the afternoon at Epcot to register for the pin event. It was a ZOO, and I mean the pin event registration, not Animal Kingdom (AK is Notahzu, remember?). The progress on Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom is stunning (see picture). They are now putting up "snow peaks" on the structure. Still schedule to be open in 2006. I can't wait!

Today, it will be more pin events. I am putting a random selection process order for the Walt Disney framed pin set that I didn't get last time. So cross your fingers!

Zz.

Last edited:
X <my poor immitation of fingers

Sounds like your having a good time :smile:

Yesterday was spent at Epcot, specifically the Happiest Pin Celebration pin event. All I can say is WHOA!

I can see how someone can easily get sucked into the pin mania. There were people hauling suitcases full of pins! We get to see truly hardcore pin collectors and get to talk to them, especially in learning which pin series are worth collecting and which aren't. However, what was more fun was the interaction with people having the same interest, and doing pin trading. I got a number of very rare pins that a few pin traders were simply getting rid of. Plus, the pin event had several games and trading events where we could get the just released cast lanyard series. These pins will soon become very sought after on ebay (I got 3 of them so far).

Anyway, today, we will be doing Magic Kingdom in the morning, and then back to the pin event at Epcot in the afternoon. There are more surprise pins to be released there today, so we hope to be lucky enough to get them. The pictures below are from the pin event held at the World Showplace at Epcot. Even Mickey Mouse was there and looking over the previous cast lanyard series.

Zz.

Last edited:
This is a very sad day, in more ways that one.

It is of course, the 4th anniversary of the day that changed many of our lives. On a lesser degree, it is also our last day here at Disney World. I fly back to good old Chicago late in the afternoon (and back to work tomorrow). It has been a terrific visit.

Yesterday, we did the Magic Kingdom in the morning, and then back to Epcot and the Pin event in the afternoon. Did more pin trading, and stayed to watch the auction of very rare pins. I'm just aghast that some of the pin sets were fetching up to $900! On average, the winning bids were around $200. That's a lot of money! On the other hand, I'm sure I've spent a lot more than $200 for the haul of pins that I'm bringing back this time. I don't even want to know how heavy my luggage is. This is in addition to the 4 packages that I am having them mail directly to my home.

We also got news that our Disney Vacation Club membership has been approved, and that we will be getting the agreement package in a few days (or maybe it has even been mailed already). I'm looking forward to using it for the first time this coming January, especially at our new "home" at Saratoga Springs resort here at WDW. Have to work on Evo and Moonbie to get them to come to Orlando during that time.

Will post more pictures after I get home. Till then, so long from the Happiest Place on Earth!

Zz.

<sigh>

It's back to reality. It really amazes me. I would be running on barely 4 or 5 hours of sleep each day that I'm at WDW, and I hardly feel tired. Back at home, and I need my 7 hours of sleep or else I'm lethargic the whole day! Someone once told me that's the Tinkerbell effect. I'd buy that!

:)

Even with the 4 packages that we shipped home, our luggages were still OVERWEIGHT! It has never happened before. We ended up paying $50 for the two overweight luggages! Oy! I blamed in on all the pins we got on this trip, and that includes the pins from the pin event. Without a doubt, this is the largest number of pins that we have ever, ever, brought back. I'm looking at this pile on the dining room table and would guess that it would take at least a week to sought, categorize, and put them up into the pin album. I have no idea what to do yet with the pins that come in their special display boxes. I have to find some way to display them or else they'll be in storage somewhere, and that's not good.

Humm... maybe I'll start giving away some of the pins on here? :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oh goody! I'm so happy! Hopefully, Evo got hers.
I don't have mine yet, but it arrived. The Child of Evo picked up the mail and I found out that she's had it in her car ever since. She works two jobs and goes to school, so the few times I've seen her, I've forgotten to get it from her. :frown: :cry:

Evo said:
I don't have mine yet, but it arrived. The Child of Evo picked up the mail and I found out that she's had it in her car ever since. She works two jobs and goes to school, so the few times I've seen her, I've forgotten to get it from her. :frown: :cry:

Oh no. I hope she's not holding them out for ransom!

Zz.

September 12, 2005.

Today is the memorable opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. And just in time for the grand opening, a bunch of fake Disney merchandise has appeared.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eastasia/view/167431/1/.html

Zz.

So, want another hint on a pin that WILL do nothing but increase in value over the years? Try this one. It's the opening day pin at Hong Kong Disneyland. I predict it will start appearing on ebay within the next 24 hours, if it hasn't already.

At the last pin event at Epcot that just ended over the weekend, there were already pin collectors either on their way to, or having contacts in, Hong Kong trying to get the dated pins. Like the dated pins for the Disneyland 50th birthday, this one will command high prices.

Zz.

P.S. The Disney Pin Trading website listed this pin at $75. Before anyone falls off his/her chair, that's HK$75. :) Hong Kong Disneyland is the only place where this pin can be purchased.

Last edited:
If you drive on the Florida Turnpike to go to Disney World, there will soon be a very convenient way to get there and bypass the nasty and congested I-4!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-disneyroad1305sep13,0,4815539.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

The Mouse does everything it can to make it easy for you to get there and spend more time and money.

Zz.

For a change, I'm posting a picture of Disney World taken by someone else.

With his permission, kevlightyear at WDWMagic took this unbelievably gorgeous picture of the Sorcerer's Hat at Disney/MGM Studios. When I saw it, I immediately contact him and asked his permission to repost it here (in a smaller form to fit the attachment size). This has become one of my all-time favorite picture from WDW.

Hope you like it too. And thanks, kev!

Zz.

Last edited:
I found out that a grad student in my new lab has a relative who works at Disney! But she's leaving soon for another job. I was telling her about the pin you sent me and she admitted to owning a few pins herself. :biggrin: I told her she should join me in January, but she'll be working on her thesis by then and doesn't think she will be able to spare the time. :frown:

Oh, I just remembered a dear friend of mine used to work at Disney as an animator.

ZapperZ said:
For a change, I'm posting a picture of Disney World taken by someone else.

With his permission, kevlightyear at WDWMagic took this unbelievably gorgeous picture of the Sorcerer's Hat at Disney/MGM Studios. When I saw it, I immediately contact him and asked his permission to repost it here (in a smaller form to fit the attachment size). This has become one of my all-time favorite picture from WDW.

Hope you like it too. And thanks, kev!

Zz.
Oh, that is beautiful!

Moonbear said:
I found out that a grad student in my new lab has a relative who works at Disney! But she's leaving soon for another job. I was telling her about the pin you sent me and she admitted to owning a few pins herself. :biggrin: I told her she should join me in January, but she'll be working on her thesis by then and doesn't think she will be able to spare the time. :frown:

And I bet there are more closeted Disney pin collectors out there (Come out, come out, where ever you are!). :)

One day, we shall take over the world! Resistance is Futile!

I brought my pin haul from this trip to work yesterday. Half of the people were quite impressed with (i) how many there were and (ii) the design, especially on the boxed set. The other half just shook their heads in disbelief. I just told them that if they think this was bad, wait till they see those people who came to the pin trading event with those rolling suitcases.

Speaking of which, Evo, have you gotten your pins yet?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I brought my pin haul from this trip to work yesterday. Half of the people were quite impressed with (i) how many there were and (ii) the design, especially on the boxed set. The other half just shook their heads in disbelief. I just told them that if they think this was bad, wait till they see those people who came to the pin trading event with those rolling suitcases.
I'd be in that category that was doing both! It would probably go something like this: "Ooh, cool pins. Awww, how cute. How many did you say you got? What?! Really? Wow, oh my...we really need to find you a girlfriend." :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I'd be in that category that was doing both! It would probably go something like this: "Ooh, cool pins. Awww, how cute. How many did you say you got? What?! Really? Wow, oh my...we really need to find you a girlfriend." :biggrin:

Moonbie dear, you are forgetting that I don't have to take my pins out on dates to wine and dine. They also don't mind that I walk around in my boxers scratching myself and belching all day!

Zz.

P.S. I saw on ebay last night that one of the keepsake souvenir pins from the pin event that I attended is now going for $65 at the last bidding. If it goes above $200, I am very tempted to put mine up for sale! :)

You know, every time I look at this thread, it seems to have gotten itself a new name...like a fussy, little kid. :wink:

Gokul43201 said:
You know, every time I look at this thread, it seems to have gotten itself a new name...like a fussy, little kid. :wink:

Little did you know that it is a trick to make you look.

And it worked!

The "Disney Only" name was "cute" when there were also active "Men Only" and "Women Only" threads. But those two have fallen off to the wayside, and the "Disney Only" name now somehow has lost its "context". Calling it "Disney Mania" is a lot more appropriate now, don't you think? :)

Zz.

Gokul43201 said:
:smile: I hadn't even noticed. I just see Disney and know I'm in the right place. :smile:

More pictures from the last trip. This is still one of the most recognizable sight anywhere.

I miss the damn place already...

Zz.

Last edited:
he's having withdrawls :rolleyes: