Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #1,611
As for looking for a job near there, don't think that I haven't looked. But as much as I love WDW, I also love my profession. I don't think I can just do teaching. That will cause a complete hault to my advacement as a physicist. There are also no outstanding physics research activities (at least in the areas that I am interested in) going on at the local universities around central Florida.
Yeah, I know how that is. I would love to go back to uni and teach the material that one only learns by doing. However, like you, I couldn't just teach - I'd have to be able to do R&D. And your right about the limited opportunities in that area, and the ones that are there, for me at least, come and ago according to the Federal budget.

Maybe one could do a sabbatical!? :cool: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,612
Ok you two, what is your most favorit thing you bought this trip?

• #1,613
hypatia said:
Ok you two, what is your most favorit thing you bought this trip?

Bought? What makes you think I bought anything on this trip? <whistles and innocent look>

Considering that I've been there that many times, I don't have too many most "favorite" things left. But since I was on a mission to buy a few pins, I suppose my most favorite thing I bought was the jumbo pin that was released on my final day there. It was again one of those very intricate jumbo pins that had a lot of going-ons.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10932940.jpg

Other than that, I love equally all the stuff that I got - if only I can remember what half of them were since I still haven't seen them since I bought them. They're being shipped home.

Zz.

• #1,614
So this is the reason why I'm going back to WDW in late January - the DVC/Passholder preview of Expedition Everest. On various fan websites, this is THE most highly anticipated attraction at WDW in years. Even Mission Space didn't have this much hype.

img16867cg.jpg
This is a picture of the evening performance of Cinderellabration at the Castle at Magic Kingdom.

img17317zn.jpg

This is one last look at Main Street at the Magic Kingdom before we left. It was still chilly that morning.

img22272uw.jpg

Zz.

• #1,615
:smile: Those must be the native Floridians in the foreground of that last photo. Hats! :smile: There's definitely a psychological component to temperature perception...the temperature here today was about the same as it was my last day at Disney, except here I thought it was unseasonably warm and even a light jacket felt a bit too warm, while at Disney, it was unseasonably cold and I was bundled up in all my winter layers and still felt cold.

So, I think I got about a half day's worth of work done today and spent the other half of the day telling everyone about my Disney trip. One grad student and one post-doc both sounded like they very much would like to try to go sometime if they can budget it...as long as they don't snore, I'm sure we can share a room and make it more affordable for all of us if I can convince them to join me for another trip. :biggrin:

• #1,616
While people here at work do want to listen to my latest WDW trip, you can understand that it doesn't usually take that long since they hear about this every few months or so. :) They usually want to know if I did something different or special, or if I found any good pins. Most just simply walk into my office and start snooping around to see if there's anything new that I brought into add to the Disney decorations.

Zz.

• #1,617
ZapperZ said:
While people here at work do want to listen to my latest WDW trip, you can understand that it doesn't usually take that long since they hear about this every few months or so. :) They usually want to know if I did something different or special, or if I found any good pins. Most just simply walk into my office and start snooping around to see if there's anything new that I brought into add to the Disney decorations.

Zz.
Well, if any of them are cute and single and available and straight men (yeah, I'm so picky), make sure you show them all the pictures with me in them. :biggrin: :-p

• #1,618
I for one have really enjoyed my virtual Disney trip. Thanks for all of the great photos and updates. It was fun.

...gotta do Disney Florida, there is no doubt about it.

• #1,619
The Chronicles of Narnia continues with it strong box office success throughout the world over the New Year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001807711

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,620
I think Moonbie (and maybe even Evo) may cry over this one.

They released a pin on 1/8, but at Disneyland, that you may want to have. It's another Chip and Dale pin. Drat! I would like to have this one too!

Did they use peanuts as the snowman's eyes?

Zz.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10247288.jpg

Edit: Ooh... it's an open edition pins. You might be able to get it via mail. Here's the info:

"Contact Disneyland® DelivEARS Merchandise Guest Services at 1-800-362-4533 or send an e-mail: DLR.DelivEARS@disney.com to place an order."

SKU: 10247288
Retail Price: $8.95

• #1,621
Yep, looks like peanuts for eyes to me. :biggrin:

• #1,622
An blurb from this month's DVC members newsletter:

'Golden Ears' trends
As reported in the winter edition of Vacation Magic magazine, The Walt Disney Company recently contracted independent research firm Directive Analytics to conduct the first-ever national "Golden Ears Survey" to gauge Americans' perspectives about Disney Theme Parks.

The detailed survey analyzed responses in a variety of demographic categories, measuring trends based on everything from hometowns to political affiliations.

When asked to name the Disney Theme Park character with whom they most identify, for example, American executives made Mickey Mouse their No. 1 answer. Teachers, meanwhile, chose Minnie Mouse, Doctors called out Dopey, Nurses went with Cinderella and U.S. Military personnel admitted to being a bit Grumpy. Political lines divided respondents when asked to identify their dream Disney Theme Park job, with Democrats coveting posts as Walt Disney Imagineers and Republicans eyeing those Disney Tour Guide roles.

Democrats went on to say that they'd rather visit a Disney Theme Park with Oprah Winfrey than with any other star (Oprah was the top star among all respondents), while Republicans leaned toward Clint Eastwood. (And, in case you were wondering, more Democrats than Republicans admitted to having worn Mickey Mouse ears at some point in their lives.)

While those Imagineering and Tour Guide jobs emerged as the clear favorites (with each garnering 21 percent of the vote), Jungle Cruise skipper lurked close behind (14 percent). Any guess as to which surveyed American city has the largest skipper-wannabe population? Well, it must be a jungle in Sacramento, Calif., as 24 percent of surveyed Sacramento residents said they'd love nothing more than a faux pistol, a campy script and an opportunity to guide a boatful of Guests past "the backside of water."

I've always been under the impression that Republicans would like to take us for a ride. Now I have statistical evidence.

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
  • #1,623
Why would people want to visit with Oprah? She would steal all my ice cream! :eek:

I don't see Chip and Dale on that list of characters people relate too. :frown:

• #1,624
Fortune magazine's profile of Disney's CEO Bob Iger.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/10/magazines/fortune/disney_fortune/

Zz.

• #1,625
More pictures from the last Disney trip. These are the inhabitants that we saw during the Harumbe Safari ride at Animal Kingdom.

Zz.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4223/img16649dd.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5124/img16592jr.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9125/img16508wz.jpg

• #1,627
OK, I HATE THIS, HATE THIS, HATE THIS! I simply hate this because they are TEASING me with something that they have up their sleeves. This is either a pin event, or a pin pursuit that they're planning this summer, but this teaser is just too much! I can't stand it!

Please, tell it to me now so that I can make plans to be there! Why are they torturing me like this? <sobbing>

:(

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/event?id=14022

Zz.

Last edited:
  • #1,628
The Walt Disney World Resort had record attendance over the holidays.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-disney1106jan11,0,2911102.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Just think, Moonbie, that we had a part in this. :)

Zz.

• #1,629
ZapperZ said:
The Walt Disney World Resort had record attendance over the holidays.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-disney1106jan11,0,2911102.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Just think, Moonbie, that we had a part in this. :)

Zz.
I think I noticed a few crowds. :rolleyes: No wonder it seemed so packed!

• #1,630
More pictures from the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights (yes, I took TONS of pictures).

Zz.

img18952lc.jpg

img18807kl.jpg

img19136xk.jpg

• #1,632
Could you explain this Osboure family thing?... I keep wondering what Ozzy and Sharon have to do with Disneyland?

• #1,633
  • #1,634
Integral said:
Could you explain this Osboure family thing?... I keep wondering what Ozzy and Sharon have to do with Disneyland?
:biggrin: I had wondered the same thing until I got there and saw the information explaining that it was some other Osborne family (even spelled differently). When I was thinking Sharon and Ozzy, a whole different sort of spectacle was coming to mind. :smile:

• #1,635
Hah! I was going to ask that question but thought better of it and Googled first. :-p

• #1,637
During the last trip to WDW, I didn't buy that many dated pins of the new year (i.e. something with 2006 or 06 on it). But they're releasing this jumbo pin on the 17th of 06 on it, and it's adorable! I may just break down and get this pin when I go there at the end of this month, Yes, that trip is now all confirmed.

Moonbie, are you coming along? :)

Zz

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904520.jpg

• #1,638
Alright Moonbie, hold on to yourself...

They have just announced the release of a surprise pin TODAY, avaiable only at Disney's All Star Resort - Movies and Sports. Yup, you guessed it, it's Chip and Dale!

Now even *I* would like to have this pin, and I don't collect Chip and Dale pins.

Let's see, I leave for WDW on the 27th. That's 2 weeks from today. There's a very small chance that they would still have this by then, but if we have time, we'll go check. Besides, the All Star Resort isn't that far from Animal Kingdom, which is where we're going for the Expedition Everest preview.

Zz.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904572.jpg

• #1,639
OK, so not only did Disney World and Disneyland saw record-breaking attendance over the holidays, Disney Online also saw a 30% increase in sales!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/09/news/companies/disney.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest

I swear, this has NOTHING to do with me!

Zz.

• #1,641
More pictures from the last Disney World trip. The first is a group picture of the three of us with a couple of friends we just happened to bump into. You get no prize for guessing which ones are us, and which ones are the Disney friends. (and yes, we have no faces.)

img17578kd.jpg

But after we were done with this, Moobie still can't keep her hands off the dog. It appears that she's doing the tango with Goofy.

img17587oe.jpg

Zz.

• #1,642
OMG! My face! It's melting! :smile: Protecting the guilty I see. :biggrin:

• #1,643
Secrets of World Showcase

From the Disney Vacation Club newsletter:

Situated around a 40-acre lagoon with an almost 1.2-mile promenade is the World Showcase area at Epcot, filled with re-creations of landmark architecture familiar to world travelers. That architecture hides some secret stories that I'm pleased to share with you as part of the Disney Vacation Club family.

World Showcase upholds the philosophy and vision of Walt Disney, who had a great deal of respect, affection and curiosity about other cultures and enjoyed traveling to other countries.

As early as 1953, designers considered an internationally themed area for Disneyland Park. By 1956, that concept was developed as "International Street," which would run parallel to the Main Street, U.S.A.® area. Soon, this concept evolved into an entire "International Land" to be located at a site near the current location of the Theme Park's Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction. The area would have featured architecturally authentic buildings separated by landscaping.

While those Disneyland concepts never materialized, Walt's dream of a global community came to life in the form of World Showcase at Epcot, a place to experience not only the differences, but the similarities between people around the world.

Here are a few details and back stories to enhance your next World Showcase visit.

MEXICO: The Cantina de San Angel is a recreation of an old Carmelite Monastery that became a restaurant in 1915. In 1847, General Santa Anna planned the "Chapultepec Battle" at this location. Within its walls, the famous pact between Pancho Villa and General Zapata was formalized, giving Pancho Villa control of the North of Mexico and General Zapata the South. The main patio fountain served as a drinking trough for their horses.

NORWAY: The statue of Grete Waitz near the Stave Church honors a Norwegian athlete who was a nine-time winner of the New York City Marathon (1978-1988). Waitz also won the silver medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Marathon, adding that to the gold she won a year earlier at the Helsiniki World Championship Marathon.

CHINA: The circular Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest, pictured above, is a one-half-scale reproduction of its counterpart inside the Temple of Heaven complex near Beijing. As you enter, there are four red columns decorated in gold representing the four seasons. If you stand in the exact center of the columns and speak, the acoustics are like the actual Hall of Prayer, so you'll hear your voice echo, but your friends won't. (They'll hear their own echo, but not yours.)

GERMANY: Every hour, underneath the clock on the tower in the back of the pavilion, huge Hummel figures appear and chime the hour. Also look above the clock, where a wooden rooster pops out and flutters its wings at the same time.

ITALY: When you enter the pavilion, the building on the left is a reproduction of the Doge's Palace. That building inspired architect Robert Stern when he designed the Walt Disney World Casting Center on Buena Vista Drive.

THE AMERICAN ADVENTURE: This pavilion originally was meant to be at the front of World Showcase and be made of glass and steel. The eventual design featured 110,000 handmade Georgia clay bricks decorating the outside of the building. The bricks were colored and aged to look authentic to the Colonial period.

JAPAN: The Yakitori House is a small version of the Shoken-tei (teahouse) in the Kyoto Imperial Villa gardens at the Katsura Summer Palace. "Tori" means "chicken," and "yakitori" refers to broiled skewers of chicken.

MOROCCO: Inside the lobby of the restaurant is a replica of a signed letter from President George Washington to the people of Morocco. Morocco was the first country to officially recognize the United States of America as a sovereign nation.

FRANCE: The Eiffel Tower is a one-tenth reproduction of the one in Paris and was constructed using Gustav Eiffel's original blueprints. The Epcot version is more tan and pink than the one that exists today in Paris. The reason is that the France pavilion represents "La Belle Epoque" of the late 1800s, so the Eiffel Tower is the same color it would have been at that time, when it was new.

UNITED KINGDOM: The term "pub" comes from the expression "public house." The Rose and Crown Dining Room combines elements from three basic pub designs: the street pub, the waterfront pub and the country pub. The exterior design was modeled after the Elizabethan period of the late 16th century. The interior decor was patterned after Victorian architectural forms of the 1890s.

CANADA: That 30-foot totem pole near the Trading Post, pictured here, was carved by renowned Tsimshian Indian carver David Boxley from seven hundred pounds of red cedar and placed there in April 1998. The top of the pole depicts the story of Raven tricking the Chief of the Skies to release the sun, moon and stars from a carved cedar chest.

Jim Karkis.

• #1,644
So, I went out and got some frames to display my new pin collection today. The wall where I mounted them needs better lighting, so I had a hard time getting pictures, but I know Zz wants to see, and some of the rest of you might be curious as to just how badly he's infected me with the pin-collecting bug. I took one of the frame closed, then opened it up so I could get some shots without the glass over the pins. These are mounted in my living room, so no Disney print background like the ones at the office (I try to achieve a bit better decorating at home than in my office). I didn't take a picture of both together, because then you'd see that one of them ended up crooked. I'm going to have to re-mount it on the wall...I slipped when putting one of the nails in the wall. It also solves my problem of having a big blank wall that really needed something on it.

One set is my Chip and Dale pins, and the other is the Mickey and Minnie pins. I need to swap out my Grumpy pin with the Chip and Dale pin that's in the frame at my office so I can have all the Chip and Dale pins together and then my office will have all the miscellaneous other characters.

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3873/img01735jo.jpg

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/647/img01903uw.jpg

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/5337/img01917xe.jpg

• #1,645
Wow! Those look very nice! I forgot that you got two cast-member pins. You and Chuck have this pin-trading bug! No cast member with a lanyard is safe around the two of you!

Zz.