Dynamics - Blocks on an Incline Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a system in a diagram, as well as determining the values for T1 and T2. The diagram shows a ramp angled at 35 degrees with a coefficient of friction of 0.15. The experts provide feedback on the solution and discuss the direction of motion and resulting tensions. The conversation concludes with the clarification of the correct direction of motion and tensions.
fobbz

Homework Statement

In the diagram below find the 1) acceleration of the system 2) T1 and T2
The ramp is angled 35degrees to the horizontal and coeff of friction is 0.15

Homework Equations

The image at the top is the problem's figure.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4176/centralkootenayj2011122.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I've redone this problem and I believe my answers are now correct. In my picture all necessary FBDs are drawn. Do I have the right idea?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers appear correct, but I have the following comments:

1.) Drawing a Free Body Diagram of the system of 3 blocks, which you have done to calculate the acceleration of the system, is generally not a good idea for these particular type problems where motion of all blocks is not in the same direction, even though you did get the correct answer.
2.) Are the 5kg blocks accelerating up the plane or down the plane?

PhanthomJay said:
Your answers appear correct, but I have the following comments:

1.) Drawing a Free Body Diagram of the system of 3 blocks, which you have done to calculate the acceleration of the system, is generally not a good idea for these particular type problems where motion of all blocks is not in the same direction, even though you did get the correct answer.
2.) Are the 5kg blocks accelerating up the plane or down the plane?

Fair enough, I see your point on the direction. As you point out, the blocks are going up while the 20kg block is going down, so what is correct for the acceleration? Would it be correct to say that the 20kg block accelerates at 4.26m/s2 [down], but the other blocks accelerate at 4.26m/s2 [up] ? I suppose however this would change the tensions would it not? ahhh...

You can consider such problems one-dimensional, saying that the motion happens along the rope and all objects move with the same acceleration. Decide the direction of the acceleration: this is the "forward" direction, and the forces act along the rope forward or backward.
Write the equation of motion for each body, and add up all three: the tensions cancel and you get an equation with the acceleration of the system as variable. The hanging body will move downward, and those on the slope will slide upward. Your arrow points in the wrong direction.
I suggest to type in the solution, I can not follow your handwriting.

ehild

fobbz said:
Would it be correct to say that the 20kg block accelerates at 4.26m/s2 [down], but the other blocks accelerate at 4.26m/s2 [up] ?
yes, correct
I suppose however this would change the tensions would it not? ahhh...
No, you have the correct tensions, because you assumed the correct direction of motion in your FBD's, even though your arrow shows otherwise.

PhanthomJay said:
yes, correct No, you have the correct tensions, because you assumed the correct direction of motion in your FBD's, even though your arrow shows otherwise.

Oh, I now see the arrow you're referring to. That was a silly error, due to the net force the 20kg block would be successful in accelerating downwards. Sorry about that arrow.Thanks though guys!

FAQ: Dynamics - Blocks on an Incline Plane

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of a block?

The acceleration of a block on an incline plane is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle increases, the acceleration also increases.

2. Is the weight of the block a factor in the acceleration on an incline?

Yes, the weight of the block plays a significant role in the acceleration on an incline. The force of gravity acting on the block, which is determined by its weight, is one of the forces that contribute to the acceleration of the block.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the normal force on the block?

The normal force exerted on the block by the incline is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle increases, the normal force also increases. At a 90-degree angle, the normal force is equal to the weight of the block.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of a block on an incline?

The coefficient of friction between the block and the incline affects the motion by adding an opposing force to the movement of the block. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more it will resist the motion of the block, resulting in a slower acceleration or even a stationary block.

5. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration on an incline plane?

The mass of the block does not directly affect its acceleration on an incline plane. The acceleration is determined by the net force acting on the block, which is the difference between the force of gravity and the force of friction. However, a heavier block will require a larger force to move it up the incline, resulting in a slower acceleration.

Back