Explore Old TV & Radio Series: Space Patrol & UFO

In summary, the conversation on Coast to Coast discussed old radio and TV series such as Space Patrol and UFO. The discussion also brought up the possibility of being able to watch any TV show ever made in the future. Some shows mentioned included The Brady Bunch, Twilight Zone, Green Acres, Ivor the Engine, Superted, Bananaman, Fireman Sam, Thundercats, Bertha, and Green Claws. The conversation also touched on the idea of passing on TV show traditions and the obscure nature of most programs. Lastly, the conversation mentioned the show "It's About Time" and its theme song, which some members of the conversation could still remember.
Evo said:
My favorite - Rocky & Bullwinkle. The Fractured Fairytales, Aesop & Son and "Improbable History" With the Dog Mr Peabody and his pet boy Sherman that would back travel through time in the "way back machine".
What! No Dudley Doright?! One bloody Canuk in the whole show and you neglect him! Was it something I said... :redface: :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Since I see a bunch of old favorite cartoons...anyone remember Magilla Gorilla?
Yup, but I don't brag about it.

Danger said:
Never heard of the next 2.
Mr. Fantastic and Captain Wonderful:
Two short-lived series that premiered the same season on different networks that had almost identical premises.
Mr. Fantastic was a guy who worked for some government agency who, when he took some pill acquired superpowers. The pills came in 1/2hr and 1hr doses. And of course, hilarity ensued when the pill's effect ran out at the wrong moment.
Captain Wonderful was a scientist who discovers a chemical formula (this one in liquid form) that would, you guessed it, give him super powers for a limited length of time. In one episode he has to do battle with a caterpillar that has supped from one of the bottles in which he kept his formula.
The Starlost--made in (you guessed it) Canada; concept and original screenplay entitled 'Phoenix Without Ashes' by Harlan Ellison, who was so outraged by the treatment of it that he insisted he be credited as 'Cordwainer Bird'.

One episode that sticks in my mind is the one where the scout ship Pisces returns to the ship. The Pisces was traveling close to the speed of light and due to time dilation, some 400yrs has passed while only ten years time elasped for her crew. One of the silly things about this episode is that the crew is surprised about this outcome.
The other silly thing is that the crew begins to suffer from accelerated senility, supposedly because even though their bodies only aged ten years, they were really centuries old.

Awww the Friendly Giant, I loved that dude...can still hear his magical fife playing in my head.

Janus said:
Mr. Fantastic and Captain Wonderful:
Two short-lived series that premiered the same season on different networks that had almost identical premises.
Actually, I mentioned these back in #21, but you've got the titles wrong. Mr. Terrific starred Stephen Strimpell as Stanley Bemish, a scientist who was attempting to create a cure for the cold when he came up with his 'super pills'. Captain Nice had William Daniels as Carter Nash, a government clerk or accountant or something. He had to pick the name 'Captain Nice' out of the air in a hurry when someone noticed the CN on his belt buckle. :smile:

hypatia said:
Awww the Friendly Giant, I loved that dude...can still hear his magical fife playing in my head.
Yeah, I even watched occassionally as an adult. Bob Homme died in 2000, but he was inducted into the Order of Canada for his work. We can't take full credit for him, though. He started the show in Wisconsin and then moved up here. :smile:

Danger said:
Actually, I mentioned these back in #21, but you've got the titles wrong. Mr. Terrific starred Stephen Strimpell as Stanley Bemish, a scientist who was attempting to create a cure for the cold when he came up with his 'super pills'. Captain Nice had William Daniels as Carter Nash, a government clerk or accountant or something. He had to pick the name 'Captain Nice' out of the air in a hurry when someone noticed the CN on his belt buckle. :smile:

Blasted Memory!:cry: I was nine when the showed aired and somewhere along the line in the last 37 years the titles "morphed" in my mind.

Janus said:
Blasted Memory!:cry: I was nine when the showed aired and somewhere along the line in the last 37 years the titles "morphed" in my mind.
Not to worry, mate. If you check back, you'll see that the same thing happened with me re: the "It's About Time" song.

My brother liked Atom Ant and Fearless Fly, It use to upset me because they came on the same time as Bandstand. Its a wonder I ever learned to dance at all.
As a young kid Bozo the Clown scared the crap out of me..I still don't trust clowns.

hypatia said:
My brother liked Atom Ant and Fearless Fly, It use to upset me because they came on the same time as Bandstand. Its a wonder I ever learned to dance at all.
As a young kid Bozo the Clown scared the crap out of me..I still don't trust clowns.

I remember Atom Ant, but don't remember Fearless Fly. Bozo scared you? :bugeye: Actually, all I can remember is that there was a Bozo the Clown show that I watched, but I don't remember anything about the show.

hypatia said:
As a young kid Bozo the Clown scared the crap out of me..

Bozo225DD1.jpg

http://kidshow.dcmemories.com/bozopt5.html

OH DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How could that NOT scar a child for life?

Looks like John Wayne Gacy - ready to pounce on a victim.

Geeze Ivan, I'm going to have nightmares now!

Ivan, you a$$. :rolleyes:

Did Bozo scare everyone away? :biggrin:

That really is a creepy picture, isn't it.

I saw something last night that reminded me of Here Come the Brides. Does anyone remember that one? Do we have any Bobby Sherman fans here? :biggrin:

Talk about hokey...
Donny and Marie
Sonny and Cher

I hate to admit it but we watched both shows regularly. I noticed the other day that a commercial running now uses the "little bit country, little bit rock-n-roll" theme. Strange after all of these years. This must be a strong target audience - you know, old guys like me. :biggrin:

Flip Wilson
Ed Sullivan
Red Skelton :cool:
Carol Burnette
Lassie
Disney [Sunday nights after Lassie :biggrin:]

Also, Evo, I had to laugh when channel surfing the other day. I saw that Magilla Gorilla was on.

I loved Mister Ed, so much so that the first horse I got had the same blond/tan coloring. Of course I never could get mine to talk.

Has anyone mentioned Auggy Doggy and his Doggy Daddy?

Or Felix the Cat and Poindexter.

TopCat?

Here is something surprising:
Electronic TV Broadcasts
Began in 1928 with Felix!

During the early days of television development it was necessary to monitor and adjust the quality of the transmitted picture in order to get the best definition. To do this, engineers required an 'actor' to constantly be under the burning studio lights as they tweaked and sharpened the image, and Felix fit the bill perfectly. He was the right colour (black and white), impervious to the heat from the lights and worked cheaply [continued]
http://www.felixthecat.com/history.htm

first-felix.gif

Ivan Seeking said:
Did Bozo scare everyone away? :biggrin:

That really is a creepy picture, isn't it.
That's the Detroit Bozo. I'm sure the Cape Cod Bozo was far less intimidating.

Iowa Bozo was the really scary one..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/39/150px-Johnwaynegacyclown.jpg

ok, I can't sleep now. :cry: oh, God, he wants to make balloon animals out of my internal organs. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
he wants to make balloon animals out of my internal organs. :cry:
That would put a new spin on 'enlarged liver'.

I don't know where I heard this, I guess on the news...but I'm pretty sure that one of the Bozos was fired when, while he thought he had gone off the air, he muttered the words, "well that oughta hold the little b'stards for a while."

Has it occurred to anyone else that Bozo is just an anagram for Zoob?

Just a coincidence?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/39/150px-Johnwaynegacyclown.jpg
You be the judge. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know where I heard this, I guess on the news...but I'm pretty sure that one of the Bozos was fired when, while he thought he had gone off the air, he muttered the words, "well that oughta hold the little b'stards for a while."
The quote is real, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Bozo. In fact, I think it was a radio host, not TV. I've got it on Kermit Shafer's "Super Bloopers" album. Unfortunately, there's no printed info, and I can't access my turntable because it's behind the computer.

Danger said:
The quote is real, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Bozo. In fact, I think it was a radio host, not TV. I've got it on Kermit Shafer's "Super Bloopers" album. Unfortunately, there's no printed info, and I can't access my turntable because it's behind the computer.

That would probably be it. When I was a kid I was a huge PMB fan.

Hmmm...I really thought it was a Bozo. :cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
I really thought it was a Bozo. :cry:
There, there, little fella... I'm not certain that it wasn't. I haven't listened to the thing in nearly 25 years.
PMB? :confused:

PMB = Pardon My Blooper, you BOZO! :smile: :smile:

(Sorry. I just couldn't resist... :wink: :biggrin:)

Math Is Hard said:
Iowa Bozo was the really scary one..
[/URL]

OH MY GOD! :eek: Thats HORRIBLE!

CLOWNS ARE SCARY! :bugeye:

Tsu said:
PMB = Pardon My Blooper, you BOZO! :smile: :smile:
And I used to think you were so cute... :biggrin:
Was that maybe a local show? Or another record? I can't remember ever hearing of it.

Evo said:
OH MY GOD! :eek: Thats HORRIBLE!
Looks like the Michelin Man after a scrap with the BF Goodrich Tiger...

How about Sigmund and the Seamonsters or Speed Buggy? And of course the classic H.R. Puffnstuff. Or even Lancelot Link.

Danger said:
And I used to think you were so cute... :biggrin:
Was that maybe a local show? Or another record? I can't remember ever hearing of it.

We had one or two of the Pardon My Blooper records, and my dad had several books, as I recall.

Ivan Seeking said:
We had one or two of the Pardon My Blooper records, and my dad had several books, as I recall.
I forgot that you said it was when you were a kid. Might be too early for me, depending upon what stage of kidness you were in. If it was pre-65, I hadn't moved from here down to the Detroit/Windsor area, so had no exposure to Yank media. If it was after that, I probably did know about it and just can't remember. :redface: