Exploring Non-Locality in dBB Theory: Insights from EPR and Bell's Inequalities

In summary, dBB is a non-local theory that is often used as an alternative to non-realist explanations. The non-locality in dBB arises when trying to make a 2nd order differential equation for the trajectories, while the 1st order equation remains completely local. Some researchers have proposed adding non-realistic elements, such as the Quantum Trajectory Method, to make the theory more useful, but the non-locality in dBB remains a topic of debate and is not fully understood. More research and potential explanations for the non-locality in dBB would be appreciated.
inflector said:
It sure looks like the density matching the square of the wave function simply emerges from the dynamics of the effects of the wave field. The densities go from one that doesn't match the wave function squared at all to one that closely tracks by the third column. Which means that the Born Rule is emergent in dBB. Right?

Correct! If you happen to live in the same country as me, then I'll send you a coconut.

If the electron density distribution is not equal to the square of the wave field, and the system is evolving according to the laws of QM, then it will become so distributed over the course of time. Once so distributed, it will stay like that for ever. Psi^2 is the only distribution with this property.

This is entirely analagous to the usual approach to thermal equilibrium, which is why one talks about 'quantum equilibrium' and 'quantum-nonequilibrium'

The reason why the Born rule seems to be true whenever we make a measurement now is that the universe has a long and violent astrophysical history and it has had plenty of time to come into equilibrium. The current state of the universe is analagous to the the usual thermodynamical `heat death' - except it's just happened quicker.

Note that this has potential observable consequences. Look far back in time enough (e.g. by looking at the cosmic microwave background) and maybe you'll find something that isn't in equilibrium yet..

Just to make this result aesthetically pleasing, look at http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/raw_movie.gif" from the same site I gave earlier. This shows the whole process of approaching equilibrium for a system in a 2D box. The cool thing is effect of nodes. Do you see all those little vortices moving around, stirring everything up? Those are the nodes - the singularities in the velocity field where the wave field goes to zero.. The more of them you have, the more chaotic the system, and the quicker the approach to equilibrium. Cool, or what?
nismaratwork said:
from: http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.o...3/253.full.pdf

Is the Born rule truly helpful here?

Good link. Indeed, as far as I know, Valentini and Westman were the first people to do calculations like the above..
LukeD said:
My only disagreement with this viewpoint that it is a proof of the Born rule is that if we have the wavefunction, then we already have the distribution.

No you don't. That's a postulate of orthodox QM, not of de Broglie-Bohm..
ThomasT said:
Thank you. Just point us to the best sources that you know for learning dBB, especially for non-experts if possible, and then you probably won't have to, er, endure, any of our questions for at least a few days. Possibly weeks, who knows.

The http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/pilot_waves.html" has a full graduate lecture course, popular lectures, links to pretty much every deBB paper ever published including lots of review articles. I would start there.

Start with the `Supplementary Popular Lecture' called 'The return of pilot waves, or why Bohr, Heisenberg, Pauli, Born, Schrödinger, Oppenheimer, Feynman, Wheeler, von Neumann and Einstein were all wrong about quantum mechanics' - very funny.

By the way, a good intro into the relativistic non-locality stuff that this thread is supposed to be about is in Lecture 5 of the course.

OK - next question. Demystifier's turn, I think. I have to go away for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasT said:
Thank you. Just point us to the best sources that you know for learning dBB, especially for non-experts if possible, and then you probably won't have to, er, endure, any of our questions for at least a few days. Possibly weeks, who knows.
In my opinion, the best source is the book by P. Holland. But if it is too much for a start, then you can start, e.g., with these two reviews:
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/local_papers/bohm_hiley_kaloyerou_1986.pdf
http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/local_papers/passon_2006.pdf

Thank you to both Zenith8, and Demystifier... I have a lot of reading to do.

zenith8 said:
Correct! If you happen to live in the same country as me, then I'll send you a coconut.

Just credit me one virtual coconut and I'll be fine. I spent 6 years in the U.S. Virgin Islands so I have had my share of the real ones.

What I find remarkable is how this is the first time I have heard of this result. Seriously? The Born Rule just falls out of the dynamics of dBB? That is an astounding result. The fact that I haven't heard of this before despite my interest in dBB for at least 18 months is just testimony to the effects of the status quo on people's thinking.

I fail to see what is surprising about deterministic particle trajectories guided by a Schrodinger Equation having (and evolving to) an invariant probability density given by |Psi|^2. Since we already know that |Psi|^2 is the conserved probability density for the SE!

unusualname said:
I fail to see what is surprising about deterministic particle trajectories guided by a Schrodinger Equation having (and evolving to) an invariant probability density given by |Psi|^2. Since we already know that |Psi|^2 is the conserved probability density for the SE!

What's surprising is NOT the result

[tex]\rho = |\psi|^2[/tex]

which is, as you stated, what we already knew.

What is surprising is how this behavior—which we already know is true through experimental observation—emerges from the equations for the dynamic guidance of the particles.

Consider the second paper Demystifier linked to above:

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/local_papers/passon_2006.pdf

In this paper, it states three postulates for dBB theory. The third is:

3. The position-distribution, [tex]\rho[/tex], of an ensemble of systems which are described by the wave function, [tex]\psi[/tex], is given by [tex]|\psi|^2[/tex]. This postulate is called the quantum equilibrium hypothesis.

So in dBB the Born rule is postulated.

Note from: http://www.math.ru.nl/~landsman/Born.pdf on the last page, the first two sentences of the last paragraph of the paper:

In most interpretations of quantum mechanics, some version of the Born rule is simply postulated. This is the case, for example, in the → Consistent histories interpretation, the → Modal interpretation and the → Orthodox interpretation.

I always found the mere postulation of the Born Rule to be unnatural and evidence of a weakness in the theories that required it.

So now with these results from Valentini et al. and Towler more recently, we have a deep and important postulate emerging from only the first two postulates of dBB thereby removing the need for the third postulate entirely. So now rather than relying on three postulates, dBB only requires two, the wave function and the guidance equation alone since the Born Rule emerges naturally from the first two postulates.

You don't find this surprising?

unusualname said:

It might be obvious to you, Mr. name, but it sure isn't obvious to anyone else. Take the recently published "Compendium of Quantum Physics" (published by Springer in 2008) - available at Google books http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false". At the end of the article on the Born rule, the author states (p. 69):

"The conclusion seems to be that no generally accepted derivation of the Born rule has been given to date, but this does not imply that such a derivation is impossible in principle."

What he does not mean is "I've considered the deBB explanation of this but it's not generally accepted." He just (of course) doesn't mention it - though he mentions most of the other 'interpretations'. That a guy can do that in a well-researched Encyclopedia article is just scandalous but entirely typical.

So, if it's so obvious, can you derive it mathematically? How would you go about doing that? :smile:
inflector said:
So now with these results from Valentini et al. and Towler more recently, we have a deep and important postulate emerging from only the first two postulates of dBB thereby removing the need for the third postulate entirely. So now rather than relying on three postulates, dBB only requires two, the wave function and the guidance equation alone since the Born Rule emerges naturally from the first two postulates.

Inflector - I entirely agree with you. Funnily enough, even the guidance equation doesn't really have to be postulated (though there are some subtleties). If you simply state that probability means 'probability of a particle being at x' as opposed to 'probability of a particle being found at x in a suitable measurement' then the guidance equation is essentially just a transcription of the usual expression for the probability current (which is non-zero only in a non-stationary state with a moving charge distribution, obviously)...

Early presentations of the deBB theory did indeed include [tex]\rho = |\Psi|^2[/tex] as a postulate, but it is now widely understood that this is not necessary. That doesn't stop people still writing this in review articles though, as you've seen.

zenith8 said:
Take the recently published "Compendium of Quantum Physics" (published by Springer in 2008) - available at Google books http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false". At the end of the article on the Born rule, the author states (p. 69):

"The conclusion seems to be that no generally accepted derivation of the Born rule has been given to date, but this does not imply that such a derivation is impossible in principle."

The Born Rule chapter in that compendium appears to be the same as the one I quoted from and linked to earlier at http://www.math.ru.nl/~landsman/Born.pdf. The author must have posted an excerpt of his chapter separately.

zenith8 said:
Early presentations of the deBB theory did indeed include [tex]\rho = |\Psi|^2[/tex] as a postulate, but it is now widely understood that this is not necessary. That doesn't stop people still writing this in review articles though, as you've seen.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the help and updates.

inflector said:
The Born Rule chapter in that compendium appears to be the same as the one I quoted from and linked to earlier at http://www.math.ru.nl/~landsman/Born.pdf. The author must have posted an excerpt of his chapter separately.

Ah, sorry.. I didn't make that connection.

zenith8 said:
It might be obvious to you, Mr. name, but it sure isn't obvious to anyone else. Take the recently published "Compendium of Quantum Physics" (published by Springer in 2008) - available at Google books http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false". At the end of the article on the Born rule, the author states (p. 69):

What he does not mean is "I've considered the deBB explanation of this but it's not generally accepted." He just (of course) doesn't mention it - though he mentions most of the other 'interpretations'. That a guy can do that in a well-researched Encyclopedia article is just scandalous but entirely typical.

So, if it's so obvious, can you derive it mathematically? How would you go about doing that? :smile:

No I probably couldn't derive it, but I'm pretty sure that this type of result is common in ergodic dynamical systems, admittedly the general mathematical theorems from that subject aren't always easily applicable to real-world examples (or in fact even to many simple toy systems), but it's often difficult to get analytic rigour in theoretical physics (these days)

By "not surprising" I just mean it's common with chaotic deterministic dynamics to have the phase space trajectories evolve to an invariant probability density, but I may have misunderstood the technicalities which are being addressed here with regard to specifying the problem. I do agree that mathematically it is a difficult result to derive, but it sounds a bit like the proof that the Lorentz Attractor exists (Tucker ~1999) which was difficult but no one was really surprised. :smile:

inflector said:
So now rather than relying on three postulates, dBB only requires two, the wave function and the guidance equation alone since the Born Rule emerges naturally from the first two postulates.

You don't find this surprising?

Yes I do. I find it very surprising, but maybe in a 'slightly' different manner...
What you always wanted to know about Bohmian mechanics but were afraid to ask said:
Postulate 3
. . .
However, while it is ensured that the quantum equilibrium hypothesis is satisfied for a configuration which is |ψ|2 distributed once, it is by no means clear why any configuration should be accordingly distributed initially.
. . .
However, there exists a more convincing approach to justify the quantum equilibrium hypothesis. Work by Dürr/Goldstein/Zanghi (1992) shows, that the quantum equilibrium hypothesis follows by the law of large numbers from the assumption that the initial configuration of the universe is "typical" for the [tex]|\Psi|^2[/tex] distribution (with [tex]\Psi[/tex] being the wavefunction of the universe).
. . .
According to this view the quantum equilibrium hypothesis is no postulate of the de Broglie-Bohm theory but can be derived from it.

?:bugeye:?

The initial configuration of the universe is "explained" by the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers: The expected value of a single die roll is 3.5, with the accuracy increasing as more dice are rolled.

I have to tell you that chance that the initial configuration of the universe can be "explained" by the law of large numbers, is the same as a dice will actually show 3.5, if you just roll it long enough...

This does not look like derivation, but a mathematical variant of the dreadful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antropic_principle" .

unusualname said:
For those interested in the historical origins and early objections to de Broglie's pilot wave idea you shouldn't miss:

Quantum Theory at the Crossroads: Reconsidering the 1927 Solvay Conference (pdf)

this is a draft of the 533 page book published recently by Cambridge University press

THANKS unusualname! Extremely interesting, goes straight into the HDD archive!

I’ll be back later, h**l of a lot to read...

DevilsAvocado said:
Yes I do. I find it very surprising, but maybe in a 'slightly' different manner...?:bugeye:?

The initial configuration of the universe is "explained" by the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers: The expected value of a single die roll is 3.5, with the accuracy increasing as more dice are rolled.

I have to tell you that chance that the initial configuration of the universe can be "explained" by the law of large numbers, is the same as a dice will actually show 3.5, if you just roll it long enough...

This does not look like derivation, but a mathematical variant of the dreadful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antropic_principle" .

There are two 'schools of thought' on this in the deBB community.

(1) Sheldon Goldstein's crew believe that the initial conditions of the universe were such that, because our universe is 'typical', the particles were distributed as [tex]\Psi^2[/tex] right from the Big Bang. They aggressively promote the view that anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot.

(2) Almost everyone else (including, for what it's worth, me) believes that one should show that [tex]\rho=\Psi^2[/tex] arises dynamically, irrespective of the initial conditions. This is what Valentini, Westman, Towler et al. appear to have done.

To me it's completely obvious that the second view is the correct one - assumptions about initial conditions can always be wrong.

You seem to be mixing up these two diametrically opposed point of view.

zenith8 said:
(1) Sheldon Goldstein's crew believe that the initial conditions of the universe were such that, because our universe is 'typical', the particles were distributed as [tex]\Psi^2[/tex] right from the Big Bang. They aggressively promote the view that anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but this seems self-evidently to be a crock of male bovine excrement.

Unless you can establish that the dynamics tend towards an equilibrium of [tex]\rho=|\Psi|^2[/tex] then the theory rests on shaky ground. That's the whole reason, I never liked the [tex]\rho=|\Psi|^2[/tex] distribution having to be specified as a postulate.

Who knows what the initial conditions were?

Besides, anytime I see an aggressive promotion that "anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot," on any subject, I have found that this generally indicates a lack of confidence and is often a substitute for intelligence and insight.

inflector said:
Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but this seems self-evidently to be a crock of male bovine excrement.

Unless you can establish that the dynamics tend towards an equilibrium of [tex]\rho=|\Psi|^2[/tex] then the theory rests on shaky ground. That's the whole reason, I never liked the [tex]\rho=|\Psi|^2[/tex] distribution having to be specified as a postulate.

Besides, anytime I see an aggressive promotion that "anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot," on any subject, I have found that this generally indicates a lack of confidence and is often a substitute for intelligence and insight.

Well, quite.. :wink:

zenith8 said:
If the electron density distribution is not equal to the square of the wave field, and the system is evolving according to the laws of QM, then it will become so distributed over the course of time. Once so distributed, it will stay like that for ever. Psi^2 is the only distribution with this property.
This is fine when you consider electrons. This is not fine if you consider photons.
Electrons are not moving at c and they can get feedback from environment and as a consequence undergo rapid decoherence. Photons on the other hand move at c.

There is even something from experiments that as I see directly contradicts with such picture for photons. Would you care to go into analysis of HOM effect?

zenith8 said:
There are two 'schools of thought' on this in the deBB community.

(2) Almost everyone else (including, for what it's worth, me) believes that one should show that [tex]\rho=\Psi^2[/tex] arises dynamically, irrespective of the initial conditions. This is what Valentini, Westman, Towler et al. appear to have done.

To me it's completely obvious that the second view is the correct one - assumptions about initial conditions can always be wrong.

You seem to be mixing up these two diametrically opposed point of view.
I agree that the Valentini et al camp uses a much nicer way of promoting their views than the Goldstein et al camp. Yet, I think that each of the approaches has certain advantages over the other. For example, in the relativistic-covariant Bohmian mechanics I am promoting, the Goldstein et al approach seems to work much better.

inflector said:

Cosmologists.

700px-WMAP_2010.png

700px-CMB_Timeline75.jpg

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkinson_Microwave_Anisotropy_Probe" for more info.

DevilsAvocado said:
Cosmologists.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkinson_Microwave_Anisotropy_Probe" for more info.

Quite right. Which is why Valentini et al. are looking for deviations in the CMB which are a signature of quantum nonequilibrium predicted by de Broglie-Bohm theory (this will probably have to wait for the higher accuracy results of Planck in 2012 or whenever).

See his talk at "http://www.vallico.net/tti/deBB_10/conference.html" " entitled "In search of a breakdown in quantum theory" for the details.

zenith8 said:
Quite right. Which is why Valentini et al. are looking for deviations in the CMB which are a signature of quantum nonequilibrium predicted by de Broglie-Bohm theory (this will probably have to wait for the higher accuracy results of Planck in 2012 or whenever).

See his talk at "http://www.vallico.net/tti/deBB_10/conference.html" " entitled "In search of a breakdown in quantum theory" for the details.

Cool. I must read faster... information over-load right now... hopefully I’ll be back in a couple of days with some comments worth reading... :smile:

DevilsAvocado said:
Cosmologists.

Well since we are currently lacking a coherent theory of quantum gravity, even cosmologists are guessing and back-extrapolating from when the universe was about 487,000 years old.

Demystifier said:
Iin the relativistic-covariant Bohmian mechanics I am promoting, the Goldstein et al approach seems to work much better.

Interesting. Can you explain what about the Goldstein approach makes it work better with your relativistic- covariant Bohmian mechanics?

inflector said:
Well since we are currently lacking a coherent theory of quantum gravity, even cosmologists are guessing and back-extrapolating from when the universe was about 487,000 years old.

Well, the cosmologists are not the only ones 'guessing', right? At least they have 'some' data! :smile:

Last edited:
zenith8 said:

Would the absence of those artifacts at the proper resolution falsify dBB?

nismaratwork said:
Would the absence of those artifacts at the proper resolution falsify dBB?

There is no "proper" resolution. The absence of nonequilibrium signatures at a particular length and time scale would only put constraints on the possibility of nonequilibrium. DeBB theory, as it currently stands, does not require that nonequilibrium states should have existed in the early universe, only that they are possible states of the early universe.

However, it's worth mentioning that Valentini himself would find the deBB theory scientifically implausible if, after a 1,000 years of searching the universe, no evidence of quantum nonequilibrium were ever found.

Last edited:
inflector said:
Interesting. Can you explain what about the Goldstein approach makes it work better with your relativistic- covariant Bohmian mechanics?

Yes, Hrvoje, I'm also curious to know how the Typicality approach helps your covariant theory more than dynamical relaxation does.

Maaneli said:
Yes, Hrvoje, I'm also curious to know how the Typicality approach helps your covariant theory more than dynamical relaxation does.
It's actually very simple. In nonrelativistic BM, relaxation does not work for a stationary wave function which does not depend on t. Likewise, in relativistic BM with spacetime probabilistic interpretation, relaxation does not work for a wave function which does not depend on s. And of course, the relativistic wave function (in my approach) never depends on s.

Demystifier said:
It's actually very simple. In nonrelativistic BM, relaxation does not work for a stationary wave function which does not depend on t. Likewise, in relativistic BM with spacetime probabilistic interpretation, relaxation does not work for a wave function which does not depend on s. And of course, the relativistic wave function (in my approach) never depends on s.

I see your point, but then there seems to me a contradiction in your relativistic theory, since, in the NR limit of your theory, you get back the usual nonrelativistic deBB wavefunction where psi dynamically evolves with respect to the single time t. So it's as if in the relativistic case of your theory, you won't get dynamical relaxation, while in the nonrelativistic case, you would expect to get dynamical relaxation (with respect to t). That would suggest to me that one just has to think harder about how dynamical relaxation can occur in the relativistic case of your theory.

Last edited:
Maaneli said:
That would suggest to me that one just has to think harder about how dynamical relaxation can occur in the relativistic case of your theory.

What about Holland's result that, if you consider the non-relativistic spin 1/2 theory as the limiting case of the relativistic Dirac theory, then this fixes the guidance equation uniquely (recalling there is a 'gauge freedom' in the standard one) and that this unique equation has a 'spin term' in addition to the gradient of the phase? With such a guidance equation, the electrons are no longer at rest in the stationary wave function case.

Maaneli said:
That would suggest to me that one just has to think harder about how dynamical relaxation can occur in the relativistic case of your theory.
I agree. And I would be very happy if I were not the only guy who is actually doing it (thinks hard about that).

zenith8 said:
What about Holland's result that, if you consider the non-relativistic spin 1/2 theory as the limiting case of the relativistic Dirac theory, then this fixes the guidance equation uniquely (recalling there is a 'gauge freedom' in the standard one) and that this unique equation has a 'spin term' in addition to the gradient of the phase? With such a guidance equation, the electrons are no longer at rest in the stationary wave function case.
The Holland's approach does not work for
1) particles with other spins (0, 1, ...)
2) systems of more than one entangled particles with spin 1/2

Demystifier said:
The Holland's approach does not work for
1) particles with other spins (0, 1, ...)
2) systems of more than one entangled particles with spin 1/2

OK. Can you explain (2)?

zenith8 said:
OK. Can you explain (2)?
The Holland's paper
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0305175
does not discuss the many-particle case at all.

A many-particle case (for spin 1/2) is studied in
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/9801070
where it was found necessary to introduce a preferred foliation of spacetime, which is certainly not unique.

The only (currently known) way to avoid preferred foliation is the evolution with respect to a scalar parameter s. But then, as I explained, the natural probabilistic interpretation does not seem compatible with the idea of dynamical relaxation towards the equilibrium. A typicality approach works much better.