Fake News and Science Reporting - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Science
In summary: People should be careful about trusting articles that they only read the headline to. They should also make sure to investigate the sources.People don't have time to fully read anything these days. Marketers know this extremely well and craft catchy and sometimes down right deceiving headlines. It's the problem with news information being a business. Social media has made it worse.The best part of it is your example:Wendelstein 7-X is the world’s largest fusion device of the stellarator type. Its objective is to investigate the suitability of this type for a power plant. In summary, the device is a scientific tool to investigate the possibility of a stellar
BTW, I want to come back to the original article and relate something I did when I was president of the math club at my University. This could easily be extended to other fields. (probably more easily than math).

The students (mostly undergrads) weren't at a point where they could give talks about research and whatnot. So I did a project called "math in the media." I had them pick a math related news story (it didn't have to be super recent) and asked them (via a form) to answer the following questions:

What is the title of the News Article?
What is the main idea of the news article?
What is the title of the original paper the news article was based off of?
What type of math was used in the article?
Do you feel the newspaper article and the original research communicated the same idea?

I had them just give like 10-15 minute talks during our math club meetings. So one meeting would be 3 or 4 students. It was really cool. The really fun part, especially in physics I think, is the comparison of the news title to the original paper.

-Dave K

Likes mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
What was reporting has morphed into "journalism" which succeeds by providing exposés rather than simple facts. At one time, a typical article in the local paper might have been, "Joe Smith suffered minor injuries in an accident when struck by a city bus at the intersection of 1st and Poplar..." Now, it's more likely "Councilman Peters declined comment on his ongoing opposition to installing a flashing light at the intersection of 1st and Poplar. Peters, also president of Peters Concrete, has opposed anything that would slow traffic on 1st street..."

Why the change? Obviously a story about corrupt politicians gains more interest than a run-of-the-mill fender bender.

What was reporting has morphed into propaganda in many outlets. I think they why is an embrace of power, enabled by arrogance. Power is now obtained by the sensational, and power then enables the age old utopian notion that "It is I that will save the world", a better cover for power than arrogance. Outlets that frown on personalities are much better at reporting. See e.g. CSPAN, where hardly anyone knows the on air reporters.

Likes Bystander
One of the things we've done for students we mentor is have them author and/or edit several Wikipedia articles related to their research topics. The Wikipedia verifiability and reliable source guidelines are pretty good, and by the time students have learned to comply and written a few articles, they have learned much more than most high school and college students about distinguishing between sources and spotting the fakes when something seems off. A bonus is when a Wikipedia editor runs afoul of their standards, someone comes along and points it out, so the teacher/mentor does not have to be constantly policing and correcting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Reliable_sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources

Likes OCR, mfb, jim mcnamara and 2 others
There are several different things that are called "Fake News"

One is sources like The Onion and The Enquirer which are fiction. These occasionally get reported as actual fact when they are a fiction type entertainment. I don't believe anything that comes out of those publications any more than I wonder why there is no crater in place of the White House even I saw it destroyed in the movie Independence Day.

A second class of "Fake News" is as discussed in the insights article. Take some true statement or evidence and either following it to a possible future conclusion as in the article or fill in any missing information with whatever you want. The latter happens all the time when a public figure or agency declines to answer a question. Not answering proves that any statement on the subject not directly contradicted by available evidence must be true. Even if it completely boggles the mind. I was originally tempted to give some examples but that would only encourage the perpetrators. This class of misinformation is more an invalid conclusion rather than a Fake News.

Increasingly I am seeing people call anything they disagree with "Fake News". As in "The Onion (Enquirer, etc.) reported [insert news like comedy sketch here] therefore [unrelated news item] is wrong because "FAKE NEWZES!". Or [highly polarized talking head] said [inflammatory opinion statement] therefore anything in the ballpark of their political/social affiliation is wrong because "FAKE NEWZES!" This argument is essentially made up news like entertainment exists therefore we can't believe any news ever. Or someone was wrong once therefore don't believe anything they or any even remotely like minded person says ever.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
There are several different things that are called "Fake News"

One is sources like The Onion and The Enquirer which are fiction. These occasionally get reported as actual fact when they are a fiction type entertainment. I don't believe anything that comes out of those publications any more than I wonder why there is no crater in place of the White House even I saw it destroyed in the movie Independence Day.

I don't see The Onion and the Enquirer being the same thing, even though one may consider both sources as "fictions". The Onion doesn't take itself seriously, and freely admits to being a parody. The Enquirer THINKS itself as "serious news". So one can easily compare The Onion as being the Alan Sokal's infamous hoax (its creator knows it isn't true), while The Enquirer as a crackpot (its creator seriously thinks he/she is producing seriously legitimate work... seriously!).

Zz.

Likes Evo
rbelli1 said:
One is sources like The Onion and The Enquirer which are fiction.
No, The Onion is satire, it is not news and does not pretend to be news, The Enquirer pretends to be news.

Last edited:
Likes edward, 1oldman2 and Kevin McHugh
ZapperZ said:
The Enquirer THINKS itself as "serious news".

It really doesn't. I've talked to a former Enquirer staffer, and nobody believes Bigfoot is Elvis' love child. Or the reverse. However, everything they print has to be sourced. The paper has to be able to point to something for every article and say "Here's where we got it from." And, as you might imagine, they don't look too carefully at the quality of these sources - where's the profit in that?

Vanadium 50 said:
It really doesn't. I've talked to a former Enquirer staffer, and nobody believes Bigfoot is Elvis' love child. Or the reverse. However, everything they print has to be sourced. The paper has to be able to point to something for every article and say "Here's where we got it from." And, as you might imagine, they don't look too carefully at the quality of these sources - where's the profit in that?
Well, it's a tabloid. Sensationalist, but not intentionally comic or satire. That's why it's not an allowable source.

I agree it shouldn't be allowable. I was just commenting that the creators usually don't think it's real. ("Hillary Clinton Adopts Alien Baby" didn't happen). They did break the John Edwards/Rielle Hunter story, although I am not sure they thought it was real at the time either.

Vanadium 50 said:
I agree it shouldn't be allowable. I was just commenting that the creators usually don't think it's real. ("Hillary Clinton Adopts Alien Baby" didn't happen). They did break the John Edwards/Rielle Hunter story, although I am not sure they thought it was real at the time either.
Is that really a National Enquirer story? It sounds more like something coming from the Weekly World News (which is arguably satire).

Here are some headlines in National Enquirer online version, as of today:
TAYLOR SWIFT SHUNS JESSICA SIMPSON

MEGHAN MARKLE NUDE -- PRINCE HARRY'S NEW ROYAL SCANDAL

MUHAMMAD ALI: FBI FILES REVEAL REPORT OF FIXED FIGHT​

Sensationalistic garbage, but I wouldn't call it satire. Satire is supposed to be funny. These are just mindless slops of gossip.

Last edited:
It is not practical to become an expert and research the sources of everything we need to know. One has to trust certain sources of information without checking each one. I tend to trust professional people and scientists who are not political. Once that decision is made, I am largely at the mercy of those sources. Alternatively, not trusting those people leaves one either responsible for researching every fact individually or routinely trusting politicians, religious leaders, and friends.
PS. Regarding the first example of the unemployment rate, there are 6 numbers, U1, U2, ..., U6, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. U3 is the standard one, but U6 is much more inclusive (includes discouraged people who have stopped looking but want a job). They are all valid sources for what they measure. Although those numbers vary greatly from each other (currently from U1=1.8% to U6=9.3%), they all show similar consistent trends.

Ohhh... Sooo much to say

To start with, after the marathon of primaries and then the election, I'm TIRED.. I'm SICK and TIRED of being FORCED to check every single 'fact'. I have a pretty good BS detector.. so perhaps I'm actually a skeptic, or worse, a cynic.. How far do I have to dig to find the sources?.. I know it's not infallible, but Snopes is usually a good start.
Example: On my facebook someone was warning of people picking up your keyfob clicks when you lock your car and they'd unlock it when you turned your back and steal you blind.
Right away red flags went up.. I also know that consumer encryption systems are not infallible.. So a quick check on snopes said it has been done.. but on OLD cars from the 1980's.. I'm certain it's POSSIBLE to crack keyfob codes, but the computing power to do it is probably not going to be on a laptop in the next car, and not in the time it takes for you to pay for your gas.
I posted the snopes link and right away someone has to pipe up "But snopes isn't always right".. sigh..

On a different level, How do you verify what Wikileaks posts? I lost a little faith in them in the last few months by being evidently partisan... and honestly, how can you prove or disprove any of their releases? Sounds a lot like you just got to take their word for it that the leaked emails were actually ever written! I'm not a person who puts a lot of trust in any government, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... I can't with certainly believe anything either side says, just have to look at both of them as 'plausible'.

@dkotschessaa Good links on the logical fallacies.. though some of the examples I think are flawed... The one that struck me is The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all guns". A better example would be "The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all vehicles". Yes, Guns kill.. it's what they're designed to do, whether they're handguns or any other, so it would follow that controlling one will lead to the control of the other.. However, vehicles are equally capable of killing people, but they have other uses and killing isn't what they're designed for... Sooo.. a logical fallacy in the logical fallacy article :P

I had more points I wanted to talk about but it's getting late

Likes FactChecker
Rx7man said:
@dkotschessaa Good links on the logical fallacies.. though some of the examples I think are flawed... The one that struck me is The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all guns". A better example would be "The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all vehicles". Yes, Guns kill.. it's what they're designed to do, whether they're handguns or any other, so it would follow that controlling one will lead to the control of the other.. However, vehicles are equally capable of killing people, but they have other uses and killing isn't what they're designed for... Sooo.. a logical fallacy in the logical fallacy article :P

I had more points I wanted to talk about but it's getting late

It's supposed to be an example of what a slippery slope fallacy would look like, so I think it's fine as it stands. It's certainly the kind of thing people say.

Your counterexample would serve another purpose. It's an example of a slippery slope fallacy stretched to absurdity, so I would use it as a counter argument. So if someone says "The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all guns". You could respond "That's like saying 'The inevitable result of handgun control is the government seizure of all vehicles." and show how their reasoning leads to an absurdity. (Kind of like a proof by contradiction..sorta).

We might be veering off into another topic though.

-Dave K

Last edited by a moderator:
Rx7man said:
On a different level, How do you verify what Wikileaks posts?

Has anyone even claimed what has been posted about them is untrue?

Rx7man said:
#1 google hit for "False wikileaks claims" is this http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...inton-wikileaks-emails-doctored-or-are-they-/
So yep, Tim Kaine questions it...

Result #5.. though I don't think Heavy.com is an authoritative source, it seems well written
http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/is-wi...e-podesta-emails-russian-hackers-trump-putin/

Wikileaks is a tough one for me. It seems to influence a lot of opinions, but it is at the same time is a kind of "inadmissible evidence." It's also a secondhand source of information, so it begs the question whether the original source is even valid.

-Dave K

Likes russ_watters and Rx7man
Greg Bernhardt said:
How do you stay informed?

Greg, I'm a news junkie, so I can appreciate what John101 said. I read all the news sites, CNN, Vox, HuffPo, Brietbart, Drudge, Fox, Townhall, American Thinker, etc. They all pretty much stink with regard to unbias (i.e. very good at bias). As I get older, I'm finding myself in John's camp. Staying informed only elevates the blood pressure, because of the foolishness on both sides. I have no inclination to become an activist for change Much of the foolishness doesn't affect me personally, so why get all out of sorts over it? I can only control how I react to it. In the large scheme of things, I can't say I see any value in "staying informed."

Regards, Kevin

Davek, Yes, it is hard to believe for the very reasons you state.. Now depending on your political lean, you may want or not want to believe it, and that will (or should) be at odds with your desire to base your opinions on fact... Sadly, these days thought and fact are no longer required to form an opinion, whatever pulls on your heartstrings is good enough.
For that, I appreciate PF.. I'm on a very rural, right wing forum and the last year was insufferable on there, despite the rules of "No politics"

I am not a news junkie... I come across more than I need by accident.. most of the time I'm less than a week behind the times, and it really doesn't matter to me in the grand scheme of things...

Carl pretty well "nailed" the whole problem years ago in "The demon Haunted world". Lately as I peruse news I have done some serious revision on acceptable sources. Thanks for the Insights Zz, good show. :thumbup:

We have a huge problem with fake science news, and I think much of it is due to a corporate and political movement to keep the Americans ignorant.

For example, we have fake news every day from the right-wing corporate media on the global warming issue. Just last week I heard a right-wing talk show host say that some heavy snowfall in parts of the country is yet more evidence that global warming is some kind of globalist hoax. They say things like "the climatologists hide the fact that their models have been wrong in recent years." Which models? Have they said which models? Not that I have heard. People hear lots of rubbish, but they do not hear that, according to NASA, 2016 was the hottest year on record.

Another good example is that evolution is still controversial in American education. Here is a link to what has been going on in Texas. The problem is that Texas has a major influence on what textbooks become widely used in the USA as a whole. This is a part of the country where many people still want equal time in science class for evolution and creationism. Actually many religious people would prefer to teach only creationism.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...schools_undermining_the_charter_movement.html

I think this sort of antiscientific disinformation campaign is extremely dangerous. I care about this much more than about the latest fake news story about this or that candidate.

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
Folks, it appears that "Fake News" is now passe and old news. It is now "Alternative Facts".

Zz.

Likes EnumaElish and Greg Bernhardt
Some quotes from Propaganda (1928) by Edward Bernays:

"Universal literacy was supposed to educate the common man to control his environment … But instead of a mind, universal literacy has given him rubber stamps, rubber stamps inked with advertising slogans, with editorials, with published scientific data, with the trivialities of the tabloids and the platitudes of history, but quite innocent of original thought."

"Ours must be a leadership democracy administered by the intelligent minority who know how to regiment and guide the masses."

"If you influence the leaders, either with or without their conscious cooperation, you automatically influence the group which they sway."

"Political campaigns today are all sideshows, all honors, all bombast, glitter, and speeches."

Likes Bystander
I definitely think such education is necessary as part of a critical thinking course -- among the many things people don't learn in school but should. The California law mandates it for 7-12, which is where I think it should be...perhaps even parallel to the early Physical Science courses where kids learn about the scientific method, difference between precision and accuracy, etc.

I do have concerns about both the effectiveness and the slant, but I don't know that that can be helped. And in my opinion having the skills is better than not having them, even if they are taught only to apply them to FoxNews and never to CNN.

Likes PeterDonis
David Reeves said:
They say things like "the climatologists hide the fact that their models have been wrong in recent years." Which models? Have they said which models?

They might not have (I agree the media is not always good at citing sources, although I don't think this is limited to the "right-wing corporate media"), but the claim that the models are divergent from reality is not itself an "alternative fact". See, for example, here:

https://judithcurry.com/2015/12/17/climate-models-versus-climate-reality/

David Reeves said:
People hear lots of rubbish, but they do not hear that, according to NASA, 2016 was the hottest year on record.

This was reported extensively in the media, including Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2017/01/18/2016-declared-hottest-year-on-record-for-globe/

David Reeves said:
I think this sort of antiscientific disinformation campaign is extremely dangerous.

I think it's worth observing in this connection that scientists themselves should bear a part of the responsibility for this. As any PF staff member can tell you, we spend a lot of time correcting misconceptions that come from, um, less than careful statements from scientists in pop science venues--books, articles, TV specials, etc. I think a key factor contributing to this is that scientists in these pop science venues, and more generally in their communication with non-scientists, too often give into the temptation to present Science as an authority. They make flat statements without any attempt to give the reader or listener a sense of the generative models that actually make up the scientific theories they are describing. Those statements are often ambiguous, and often do not distinguish between theories or hypotheses with greatly varying levels of confidence and experimental support.

What happens here on PF is that the small minority of readers or listeners who are actually curious about the science come here, and after some discussion they realize (hopefully) that what they thought they heard or read was in fact very misleading, and start to learn the actual underlying theories and models. But most people don't do that. They just think they've received a statement from Science the authority, when in fact they've gotten a distorted and misleading view of the science. Plus, when Science eventually makes a statement that ends up being plain false--which will happen sooner or later--those who took it as authoritative draw the incorrect conclusion that Science can't be trusted at all (instead of the correct conclusion that Science the authority is not actually the same as science the body of valid, experimentally tested theories), and go looking for some other authority to tell them what to believe.

Likes weirdoguy and mheslep
PeterDonis said:
They might not have (I agree the media is not always good at citing sources, although I don't think this is limited to the "right-wing corporate media"), but the claim that the models are divergent from reality is not itself an "alternative fact". See, for example, here:

https://judithcurry.com/2015/12/17/climate-models-versus-climate-reality/This was reported extensively in the media, including Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2017/01/18/2016-declared-hottest-year-on-record-for-globe/

Thanks for the links.

The Fox News Weather Center article is all right. But as far as being reported "extensively,' I wonder how many people read it, compared to those who watch or listen to reports which describe man-made global warming as a hoax?

In any case, I recommend these links. They represent the overwhelming consensus of world scientists who specialize in study of the climate.

http://jamespowell.org/

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GlobalWarming/page2.php

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/global-warming/bibliography/overview.html

http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/presse/i...-klimawandel-begann-vor-180-jahren/index.html

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

David Reeves said:
as far as being reported "extensively,' I wonder how many people read it

I don't know, and I don't know that there's any way to find out. But that is not the same as knowing that a negligible number of people read it. If we don't know, the proper thing to say is just that we don't know--and then to refrain from speculating without any basis for it.

(Also, by "reported extensively" I just meant that many, many news sites reported it, not that lots of people necessarily read it.)

David Reeves said:
I recommend these links.

Please note, first, that this thread is not about climate change (and I was not making an argument either way about climate change as a policy issue), and second, PF has a policy specifically about that subject because of how easy it is for discussions of it to go off the rails. My point was simply about carefully distinguishing what is and is not "fake news", which is the topic of this thread. Claims that you happen to disagree with can still be valid news and not "fake news".

Donald J. Trump said:
The leaks are real. You’re the one that wrote about them and reported them. I mean the leaks are real. You know what they said. You saw it, and the leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake because so much of the news is fake.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/real-leaks-bring-fake-news-trump-says-as-he-blasts-media-214217042.html

Well apparently even if you agree with the truth of a particular fact reporting of that fact is "FAKE NEWS!" if you don't like the implications of that fact.

Can someone please explain this for me?

BoB

PeterDonis said:
Please note, first, that this thread is not about climate change (and I was not making an argument either way about climate change as a policy issue), and second, PF has a policy specifically about that subject because of how easy it is for discussions of it to go off the rails. My point was simply about carefully distinguishing what is and is not "fake news", which is the topic of this thread. Claims that you happen to disagree with can still be valid news and not "fake news".

I see your point. I think my point, which I did not express clearly enough, is that I think it is biased to keep broadcasting fringe opinions on a scientific question, while attributing the mainstream scientific view to some kind of globalist conspiracy, if it is even mentioned. One of Dr. Powell's videos addresses the conspiracy theory.

So I was trying to emphasize the viewpoint of mainstream science, which I believe is underreported by Fox News TV and also by many right-wing talk shows. But I would call it biased news, not fake news.

Regarding"fake news" I am already getting very tired of hearing that term. People now call any news story they disagree with "fake news." I don't watch TV any more, but when I turn on radio I hear this term several times a day. It's not helpful. People should point out specifically what is "fake" about a news story.

Thanks for the reply. I'm done with this topic now!

David Reeves said:
I think it is biased to keep broadcasting fringe opinions on a scientific question

But you didn't give an example of that (at least not for climate science--your example about evolution seems fine to me as an example of fringe opinions). Saying that the models diverge from actual temperatures is not a "fringe opinion"; it is an opinion held by some climate scientists, and they can back it up with data, as the link I gave shows. If you had found a report of someone claiming that the climate hasn't changed at all, or that CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas, that would be a "fringe opinion".

David Reeves said:
People should point out specifically what is "fake" about a news story.

I agree 100% with this.