Favorite Avatars - Share Yours Here!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I mean, I don't even have an account!In summary, members can change their avatars, but they have to join and pay the membership fee. There are more perks for "real" members.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I love some of the avatars that members have. If you've seen someone with a great avatar, post their member name here and their avatar. This isn't a contest, just sharing what you've seen.

I'll go first with Redbelly98's avatar. I can't put my finger on it, but I *LOVE* that woodpecker! Maybe it's that sultry parting of the beak... :redface:

Another favorite is Hootennany's House picture.

And who doesn't love Moonbear's sniper kitten?

Attachments

• Redbelly.gif
    Redbelly.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 590
  • Hootennany.jpg
    Hootennany.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 499
  • MB.jpg
    MB.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh, I made the top three! :biggrin:

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was thinking of Redbelly too! There's something very friendly about that bird.

I like MIH's Barbie series that changes outfits to match the occasion.

Oh, and Tsu's avatar...I LOVE that grumpy puppy! TOOOOOO cute. :biggrin:

Okay, I'll be here all night if I try to list them all. It's funny how I will not recognize someone if they change their avatar. Maybe if we have another PF gathering, people should bring along a picture of their avatar so we all know who they are. :biggrin:

Oh, I love the MIH Barbie series! Tsu also. She's done some great alterations of her puppy to meet the current topic. :smile:

Wow top three! :blushing:

I agree that there's something charming about RB's woodpecker.

One of my favourite's is Doc Al's, although I have no idea what it is!

I miss Ivan's old avatar, there is just something about a three legged Gray, but his new avatar is pretty, I think it's algae. Also turbo's ferret is adorable.

Attachments

• Ivan.jpg
    Ivan.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 456
  • turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 506
My favorite french fries G01 and of course our beloved woolyram, not like I picked out his avatar, or anything. <cough>

Attachments

• G01.jpg
    G01.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 526
  • wolram.jpg
    wolram.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 506
Math Jeans has the funniest avatar...

Attachments

1.9 KB · Views: 588
Unfortunately for MB I've seen her av on a few other sites

I don't really think about whether or not I like someone's avatar but I do, absolutely, identify people with them. As Moonbear pointed out, if someone changes their avatar, I cease to recognise them. If Evo changed hers, I'd likely never see her again. Funny how that works.

Speaking of cool avatars...how do you even get/change them? I've wondered this for quite some time now.

mcknia07 said:
Speaking of cool avatars...how do you even get/change them? I've wondered this for quite some time now.

You have to join officially (cough...pay the membership fee...cough). I have to confess: I'd been holding off on this until now myself. That is until this thread popped up.

FrancisZ said:
You have to join officially (cough...pay the membership fee...cough). I have to confess: I'd been holding off on this until now myself. That is until this thread popped up.

Awesome, then how much would being a "real" member put me back?

FrancisZ said:
Math Jeans has the funniest avatar...

I have to agree, that's one of the funniest I have seen.

I've seen a lot that I like. I can't really remember my favourites. Always liked Greg's Harry and the Hendersons av and Evo's avatar is probably a favourite.

mcknia07 said:
Awesome, then how much would being a "real" member put me back?

$14 and change I believe it was for the year. Not sure about pounds.

FrancisZ said:
$14 and change I believe it was for the year. Not sure about pounds.

Oh $14, that's really not too bad. I'll have to do some looking into that and might end up doing that :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Oh $14, that's really not too bad. I'll have to do some looking into that and might end up doing that :biggrin:

Though I wasn't expecting it, now that I've "contributed," I really must say that I am quite impressed with myself--thanks entirely to my little merit badge over there in the corner of course.

Honestly, I had always just assumed that meant you'd contributed something useful (as by imparting your knowledge upon a fellow poster, say for homework help, or something to that effect). But I guess money is helpful also.

Anyway, I appreciate it. Thank you physics forum! :biggrin:

Might I ask...What does becoming a "real" member get more that the rest of us don't get? Do you get more rights and stuff?

No ads, avatar, sig, make yourself 'invisible'... I think there might be some other things too but I don't really remember.

Is there somewhere in which I can read more about this? and how to become a member that way?

mcknia07 said:
Might I ask...What does becoming a "real" member get more that the rest of us don't get? Do you get more rights and stuff?

This is going to sound stupid but: all I was interested in honestly was getting an avatar. But they also mentioned something called Boolian searches. Not sure what that is. The various perks are listed in the section were you apply for the upgrade. No advertisement too.

Anyway, it really isn't right for me to say "officially." I'm just a jerk who hangs out here.

mcknia07 said:
Is there somewhere in which I can read more about this? and how to become a member that way?
More detailed can be found if you click upgrade on the bar at the top of the page.

Just for the record, one get get most of these benefits by becoming a Homework Helper or Science Advisor.

Evo said:
I'll go first with Redbelly98's avatar. I can't put my finger on it, but I *LOVE* that woodpecker! Maybe it's that sultry parting of the beak... :redface:

Moonbear said:
As soon as I saw the thread title, I was thinking of Redbelly too! There's something very friendly about that bird.

That's pretty obvious, ladies. It looks like Woody Woodpecker. We all know that you both love woodies, and you both love peckers, so... :wink:

Danger said:
That's pretty obvious, ladies. It looks like Woody Woodpecker. We all know that you both love woodies, and you both love peckers, so... :wink:

Nobody knows where the line is, but I think you crossed it.

Chi Meson said:
Nobody knows where the line is, but I think you crossed it.

Hey, they're the ones who started the 'clinic'...

Moonbear said:

Oh yes, so friendly and innocent ... and oblivious to the cat that has him in the rifle's cross hairs!

When I see Hoot's avatar, I am thinking "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit ... heh heh heh"

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

mcknia07 said:

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=88

Info there (^) and as Hoot says click on the upgrade link in the top menu bar and there will be a bit more info there.

On the avatar front I like cristo's.

Congratulations FrancisZ on becoming a contributor! You have just helped us get a bit closer to being able to get a larger server. Thank you.

I like your avatar. I can't attach your picture from this computer for some reason.

Last edited:
Cool, are we getting a real server?

I can hardly believe nobody mentioned Borek yet :confused:

Evo
MIH
Moonb
Andre
Danger

All look great.

I forgot Turbo's critter.

And Monique's is cool.

I like Janus's computer-generated floating head.

https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/avatar4_5.gif

And Integral's simple figure:

https://www.physicsforums.com/customavatars/avatar13_1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a good place to discuss how to change your avatar. I don't have a clue, but then I haven't tried yet.

My PF (top left) > Edit Avatar (Left menu on MY PF main page)

(gets back to work on project :redface:)