Find the amount of work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket

sdfsfasdfasf
Homework Statement
Find the amount of work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket from the surface of the Earth to 18000 km above the center of the Earth.
Relevant Equations
E = -Gmm/r
I started by calculating the energy at the Earths surface, which is just -G(150)(6 x 10^24)/(6400 x 10^3) = -0.9 x 10^10, and calculating the energy at the orbit radius, E = -G(150)(6 x 10^24)/(18000 x 10^3) = -3.4 x 10^9, then doing some subtraction we have -3.4 x 10^9 - (-0.9 x 10^10) = 5600 x 10^6 J. The answer provided in my textbook is 6 x 10^5 J which is clearly not what I got. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
sdfsfasdfasf said:
Any tips?
Get a better textbook?

• Haha
Likes MatinSAR
Possible typo in the textbook. The answers section.

Likes MatinSAR
So my answer is correct?

sdfsfasdfasf said:
So my answer is correct?
Yes.

Likes MatinSAR

Related to Find the amount of work done against gravity in moving a 150kg rocket

1. How do you calculate the work done against gravity?

To calculate the work done against gravity, you use the formula: Work = Force x Distance x cos(θ). For lifting an object vertically, θ is 0 degrees, so cos(θ) = 1. The force is the weight of the object, which is mass (m) times the acceleration due to gravity (g). Therefore, the formula simplifies to Work = m * g * h, where h is the height the object is lifted.

2. What is the value of the acceleration due to gravity?

The standard value of the acceleration due to gravity (g) on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How do you determine the height the rocket is moved?

The height (h) is a given parameter in the problem. If it is not provided, you need to specify or measure the vertical distance the rocket is moved against gravity.

4. What is the work done if the rocket is lifted 10 meters?

If the rocket is lifted 10 meters, the work done against gravity can be calculated using the formula Work = m * g * h. Substituting the values, we get: Work = 150 kg * 9.8 m/s² * 10 m = 14,700 Joules.

5. Does the direction of movement affect the work done against gravity?

Yes, the direction of movement affects the work done against gravity. Work against gravity is only done when moving the object vertically upwards. Moving the object horizontally or downwards does not contribute to the work done against gravity.

Back