Finding Angle of Twist at Gear A Relative to Motor

In summary: Something like that.You've already calculated J for the 20 mm dia. shaft. You need to calculate J for the 38 mm shaft.In summary, in order to find the angle of twist at gear A relative to the motor, you can use the equations θ = ∑ (TL/JG) or θ = Lτ/Gr. It is important to make sure that all torques acting on the gear are taken into account and to check for any missing factors in the equations. In this particular problem, the torque produced by the 11 kW motor operating at 60 Hz should also be considered, along with the torques from the other gears on the shaft. It is necessary to calculate J for the 38
Jonski

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 10.06.51 am.png

What is the angle of twist at gear A relative to the motor? (Round to the closest 6th decimal)

Homework Equations

I know to find the angle its θ = ∑ (TL/JG)
but it can also be θ = Lτ/Gr

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used both these equations, and I got (-29.18*0.052)/(1.57x10^-8 * 83x10^9) = -1.163833x10^-3 rad, which was the same result for the other one too. However, this was wrong and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonski said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 98919
What is the angle of twist at gear A relative to the motor? (Round to the closest 6th decimal)

Homework Equations

I know to find the angle its θ = ∑ (TL/JG)
but it can also be θ = Lτ/Gr

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used both these equations, and I got (-29.18*0.052)/(1.57x10^-8 * 83x10^-9) = -1.163833 rad, which was the same result for the other one too. However, this was wrong and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong?
G = 83×109 Pa

You should check your arithmetic. θ seems to be missing a couple of factors of 10.

When you isolate gear A, you should draw a free body diagram to make sure you have the correct net torque acting at that location. I don't think you can say that the angle of twist is caused only by the torque acting from the left of the gear, and that the torque acting to the right has no effect.

SteamKing said:
G = 83×109 Pa

You should check your arithmetic. θ seems to be missing a couple of factors of 10.

When you isolate gear A, you should draw a free body diagram to make sure you have the correct net torque acting at that location. I don't think you can say that the angle of twist is caused only by the torque acting from the left of the gear, and that the torque acting to the right has no effect.
But the -29.18 is the internal torque between them, so doesn't that account for torque both sides of the gear

Jonski said:
But the -29.18 is the internal torque between them, so doesn't that account for torque both sides of the gear
If you do a check, that 29 N-m is the torque produced by the 11 kW motor operating at 60 Hz.

Looking at the rest if the gears on this shaft, there are much greater torque loads being applied than this piddly 29 N-m, and these torques are turning in different directions.

SteamKing said:
If you do a check, that 29 N-m is the torque produced by the 11 kW motor operating at 60 Hz.

Looking at the rest if the gears on this shaft, there are much greater torque loads being applied than this piddly 29 N-m, and these torques are turning in different directions.
So would it be more like:
(-29.18*0.052)/(1.57x10^-8 * 83x10^9) + (1100.82*0.092)/(J * 83x10^9) + (-249.18*0.111)/(J * 83x10^9) + (-779.18*0.138)/(J* 83x10^9)

Jonski said:
So would it be more like:
(-29.18*0.052)/(1.57x10^-8 * 83x10^9) + (1100.82*0.092)/(J * 83x10^9) + (-249.18*0.111)/(J * 83x10^9) + (-779.18*0.138)/(J* 83x10^9)
Something like that.

You've already calculated J for the 20 mm dia. shaft. You need to calculate J for the 38 mm shaft.

Related to Finding Angle of Twist at Gear A Relative to Motor

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle of twist at gear A relative to motor?

The angle of twist at gear A relative to motor is used to determine the amount of rotation or displacement that occurs between the motor and gear A. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing gear systems, as it affects the performance and efficiency of the system.

2. How is the angle of twist at gear A relative to motor calculated?

The angle of twist at gear A relative to motor can be calculated using the equation: Φ = TL/GJ, where Φ is the angle of twist, T is the torque applied to the gear, L is the length of the gear, G is the shear modulus of the material, and J is the polar moment of inertia of the gear.

3. What factors can affect the angle of twist at gear A relative to motor?

The angle of twist at gear A relative to motor can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the gear and motor, the torque applied, the length and diameter of the gear, and the stiffness of the system. External factors such as temperature and vibrations can also affect the angle of twist.

4. Why is it important to consider the angle of twist at gear A relative to motor in gear system design?

The angle of twist at gear A relative to motor is crucial in gear system design as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the system. If the angle of twist is too large, it can result in misalignment and decrease the lifespan of the gears. By considering this angle in the design phase, engineers can ensure that the gear system operates smoothly and efficiently.

5. How can the angle of twist at gear A relative to motor be minimized?

The angle of twist at gear A relative to motor can be minimized by using materials with high shear modulus and increasing the diameter and length of the gear. Additionally, proper alignment and maintenance of the gear system can also help reduce the angle of twist.