Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
The Hindenburg had a smoking room. There were little cups filled with water for the ashes. A crew member was assigned to be sure that not one ash fell on the floor
- Antiques Roadshow

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to a bar filled with archeologists, you might see a knock-down drag-out fight about whether one should us a triangular trowel, or a square trowel, at acheological dig sites.
- The Time Team

They’re talking about banning cigarette smoking now in any place that’s used by ten or more people in a week, which, I guess, means that Madonna can’t even smoke in bed.
- Bill Maher

10^50 is a long way from infinity.
- Daniel Shanks

Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

Easy things should be easy, and hard things should be possible.
- Larry Wall

Now if you had a milkshake and I had a milkshake and I had a straw, you see watch it. My straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!
- Daniel Plainview (There Will Be Blood)

What I cannot create, I do not understand.
- Richard Feynman

Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possesses ourselves.
- Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)

But I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
- Milo Minderbinder (Catch-22)

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three.
- Catch-22

I will tell you what I am talking about," he said. "Most kinds of power require a substantial sacrifice by whoever wants the power. There is an apprenticeship, a discipline lasting many years. Whatever kind of power you want. President of the company. Black belt in karate. Spiritual guru. Whatever it is you seek, you have to put in the time, the practice, the effort. You must give up a lot to get it. It has to be very important to you. And once you have attained it, it's your power. It can't be given away: it resides in you. It is literally the result of your discipline.
Now what is interesting about this process is that, by the time someone has acquired the ability to kill with his bare hands, he has also matured to the point where he won't use it unwisely. So that kind of power has a built-in control. The discipline of getting the you so that you won't abuse it.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes.
- Najavo proverb

And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
- Milton (Office Space)

Why don't they make Band-Aids for black people?
- Colbert

It never even occurred to me before! He also pointed out that "flesh" colored crayons are really "caucasion" colored.

I have seen lots of flesh (as opposed to skin). Surprisingly, there is no discernible difference across races and species.

Whoops! Good point. But the color of the crayon was still that of "typical" caucasian skin.

I must confess that I have never butchered a human (It's true!), but once you get past the obvious gross differences, most mammals are pretty easy to figure out as you take them apart, and muscle tissue fed oxidants via hemoglobin looks pretty darned similar on fine scales, no matter where it came from.

(tastes like chicken)

turbo-1 said:
I must confess that I have never butchered a human (It's true!)

That is nothing to be ashamed of...

(tastes like chicken)

On the Marquesas Islands it was called long-pig.

Um, hey, are you going to eat that?
- Jeffrey Dahmer to Lorena Bobbit

Ivan Seeking said:
That is nothing to be ashamed of...

Ooh! that last one was a zinger.

Ivan Seeking said:

Also: the other other white meat.

Ivan Seeking said:
Um, hey, are you going to eat that?

I can't believe you said/wrote that.

I had to check Dehmer on wikipedia. Bobbit case was heard about even here.

The manuscript for the first Harry Potter novel was rejected by eight publishers before finally being accepted. Only 1000 copies were printed on the first run with 500 copies destined for libraries. Each of those copies is now worth upwards of $50,000.
- Biography; The Harry Potter Kids

You spend way too much time at the computer.
- Everyone around me.

"A hundred failures would not matter, when a single success could change the destiny of the world" -- Arthur C. Clarke

This nicely captures the spirit of scientific research.

Here are a couple of fake quotes:

I'm not a knowledgeable person, but I play one on TV.
-- Alex Trabek

That's too bad. And how did I do?
-- Dan Quayle, election night 1992

Imagine Jesus on Twitter

Today we will read the Tweet according to Luke.

Economic forecasting makes weather forecasting look like physics
- Ben Bernanke

There are no experts on China.

Dr. Romie F. Littrell

A truly free and independent press is the red beating heart of democracy and freedom
- Dan Rather

The best [most effective] way to reduce your carbon footprint is to not reproduce
- the latest study released by the EPA [~today]

Last edited:
Journalist Cokie Roberts, on This Week with George Stephanopoulos, commenting on the people who are intentionally disrupting town hall meetings with lies and false accusations about health care reform:

Roberts: We need more nuns.

Stephanopoulos: Why nuns?

Roberts: No one raised by nuns would act like that.

Last edited:
Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell Obama what comes after "trillions"
- a buddy :smile:

A week before he was killed during a commando raid that freed his colleague, New York Times reporter Stephen Farrell, from Taliban captors, the Afghan journalist Sultan Munadi wrote a post for the Times’s “At War” blog. His conclusion:
Being a journalist is not enough; it will not solve the problems of Afghanistan. I want to work for the education of the country, because the majority of people are illiterate. That is the main problem facing many Afghans. I am really committed to come back and work for my country.
Ref: http://www.cjr.org/the_kicker/sultan_munadi_rip.php

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2341757

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of learning a new language,

an inability to handle language is not the same thing as stupidity.

- David Hare

:biggrin: I like it

"History doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes".
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

I believe every educated person should study physics. Why? Because it is interesting – the natural world is a remarkable and fascinating place; because it is liberating – the universe is not arbitrary, but rational and comprehensible; and because physics is unequivocally the most powerful and profound system of thought ever devised. Perhaps, after all, I do agree with my parents. My purpose is to teach students how to think, by exposing them to the most brilliant and successful example of human thought: physics.
David Griffiths in Illuminating physics for students, PhysicWorld, Sept 2, 2009
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/40214

"You'd think I could predict the future" - my father.

and

"It ain't wrong but this will make it right" - not sure.

and from Point Break

"This the guy? Yeah. Ohh so this is where you tell me how locals rule and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing the break and all that. Nope. That would be a waste of time. Were just going to f*** you up. Ohh."

Thanks
Matt

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools,
but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
Mark Twain

"Well educated person should know everything about something, and something about everything."

Sławomir Kalembka, Polish historian (died today)

hi newbie here...

"when there is great love there are always miracles" i just got this from a song hits...i know don't know who wrote this but i liked this quote...this one is one of my favorite quote.

Wow, youtube has an infinite supply of retards.

a youtube video comment

Your favorite motto and "words to live by"

Do you have any motto or words to live by ? What are your favorites ? Drop a few of them in this thread !

Ill start with three of them.

1. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180 )

2. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

3. "The only easy day was yesterday"
Attributed to US Navy Seals.

The first two are expressions of my beliefs that humans should constantly step outside their comfort zone.

The last one, I find it very reassuring and comforting , in a twisted and perverted way.