Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
http://books.google.com/books?id=C4...iness and misery"&pg=PT12#v=onepage&q&f=false

I was reading above book today. I was surprised how generic and modern they were..
Some of my favorite ones:

Wealth can be a source of both happiness and misery. To accumulate wealth is fine so long as you know how to use it properly

Each of us has the right to our own opinion and views. But unless you want to be totally isolated, adjust your perspective from time to time so that you are in sync with the society around you. If you must have your own way all the time you will never be able to live in harmony with others

Assess a religion on the basis of its teachings. The deeds of its followers are a different matter; whether good or bad, they belong to individuals and not to the teachings. Don't mix the two

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rootX said:
http://books.google.com/books?id=C4...iness and misery"&pg=PT12#v=onepage&q&f=false

I was reading above book today. I was surprised how generic and modern they were..

?

The author is 24. Did you expect something else?

I liked the end of his intro. It was.

Ogyen Trinley Dorje said:
Even if you find nothing useful in this book, please do not be angry. You can always throw it away!

Wisdom knows no age.

Buddii.jpg

OmCheeto said:
?

The author is 24. Did you expect something else?

[/PLAIN]

Unless I am mistaken, he represents Buddhism in its present form. If that is true, this religion has evolved remarkably to meet with the needs of the current people. You would see similar tone in some material originally by Dalia Lama/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Nhat_Hanh" . They comfortably accept that you are not going to become part of their religion and neither try to be persuasive.

Last edited by a moderator:
People tell me that Facebook is a great place to network with old friends. In order for me [age 88] to network with old friends, I'd need a Ouija board
- Betty White, SNL

tribdog said:
I taste salty

Same here, LOL

This thread will reach 100,000 views very soon.

-Character Limit

Not sure if I've posted these before.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred, Bruce Wayne's Butler

The Mighty Boosh said:
"The thing about Hash Cakes is this: Start off with one, wait about an hour see how you feel. Don't eat fifteen in one go, cause you will see the devil, and he'll try to rip your heart out through your kneecaps" (Naboo The Shaman aka The Croydon Mystic aka Michel Fielding)

Bladerunner said:
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?”

Voltaire said:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."(St. Vaast or St. Medard)

"What's the difference between God and a surgeon? Answer: God knows that he's not a surgeon."

From a movie I used to dislike but it's becoming one of my favorites:

"The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides, the drift of the continents, the very position of the sun along its ecliptic. THESE are just a FEW of the things I control in my world!"

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

'The only substitute for manners is fast reflexes.'

Anticitizen said:
'The only substitute for manners is fast reflexes.'
All too true.

In today's world five times more time and money is being invested in drugs for male virility and silicone implants for women, than in the cure of Alzheimer's disease ..
In a few years to come we’ll have grammas with large breasts and grandpas with hard ****s, but they won’t remember what it’s for.

Drauzio Varella, Brazilian oncologist

Last edited:
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -- Sherlock Holmes

Frame Dragger said:
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?”

From a film with some of the most memorable quotes in moviedom (I've seen things you've never dreamed!), why do you see this one as quoteworthy ?

The Irish have conquered the world through peaceful penetration
- my Irish friend

I have a good one:

In a butter fight, there are no winners.

Quote Combinations...

Never bring a sword to fight a land war in Asia with guns.

Make no sense!

''I had a wonderful moment...when the radio went off as I was just waking up in my own bed at home.

''I heard, 'This morning, the Prime Minister will...' and I thought, 'Oh God, what's he doing now? And then I thought, 'Oh no, hang on a second - it's me!'''

~David Cameron

“Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.”

Probably a repeat, but still one of my favorites:

I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~ Albert Einstein

Lancelot59 said:
I have a good one:

In a butter fight, there are no winners.

There's no winners in a contraceptive foam fight, either. Plus, the next morning, the kids are wandering around wondering what in the world happened to the house.

BobG said:
There's no winners in a contraceptive foam fight, either. Plus, the next morning, the kids are wandering around wondering what in the world happened to the house.

How about this:

Kids in the back seat cause accidents, but accidents in the back seat cause kids.

What do we call Glenn Beck fans, Becker-heads?
- Colbert

"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoUpF7rvfnk

Ah Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire

To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire,

Would not we shatter it to bits -- and then

Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

Al- Khayyam. Translated by Edward J. Fitzgerald

Unknown -

Modern science hopes to bring immortality but
instead all it can bring is false hopes. The
reason for this is simple the goal of science
is to study and immortality requires one to
have mastered all that there is to study.

magpies said:
Unknown -

And better left that way. What is your source for that quote? I realize that you don't know the original source, but where did you get it? It sounds like something a high school kid made up.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe"

Carl Sagan

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just f@ck off and leave me alone!"

~Maharishi Phucknuckle

"What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what's coming around...And sometimes you are what's coming around." - Jim Butcher

Алты́нного во́ра ве́шают, а полти́нного че́ствуют. Translation: One hangs the thief who stole altyn(3 kopecks), and honors the one who stole poltinnik(50 kopecks).

A couple of additions:

"With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly."
(Tolkien)

Duke of Exeter. 'Edward the Third, he bids you then resign
Your crown and kingdom, indirectly held
From him the native and true challenger. '

King of France. 'Or else what follows?'

Duke of Exeter. 'Bloody constraint; for if you hide the crown 1000
Even in your hearts, there will he rake for it:'(Henry V act II)

On the lightest of all possible notes:

Family Guy said:
(Brian and Stewie are on a German tour bus.)
German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany's contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian : Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.
Tour guide: Everyone vas on vacation. On your left is Munich's first city hall, erected in 15...
Brian : Wait, what are you talking about? Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and...
Tour Guide: We were invited. Punch vas served. Check vit Poland.
Brian : You can't just ignore those years. Thomas Mann fled to America because of Nazism's stranglehold on Germany.
Tour guide: Nope, nope. He left to manage a Dairy Queen.
Brian : A Dairy Queen? That's preposterous.
Tour guide: I vill hear no more insinuations about the German people. Nothing bad happened. Sie werden sich hinsetzen. Sie werden ruhig sein. Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland. You will sit down. You will shut up. You will not insult Germany. (Throws his hand up in a Hitler salute.)
Brian : Uh, is that a beer hall?
Tour guide: (Snapping out of it) Oh yes, Munich is renowned for its historic beer halls.

IcedEcliptic said:
"With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly."
(Tolkien)

"Instead of a Sith Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Tempestuous as the sea, and stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!"
- paraphrased Tolkien

DanP said:
- paraphrased Tolkien

Heh, very good!

King Lear said:
Turn all her mother's pains and benefits
To laughter and contempt; that she may feel
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless child!
Away, away!

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." - Isaac Asimov

"And crawling, on the planet's face, some insects, called the Human Race. Lost in time, and lost in space, and meaning." (RHPS)

"To reign over the kingdom of the world. To make its peace and write its laws. To be generous to the obedient and merciless to all those who would stand against you. Nothing ever changes. 2000 years and you still act as if the world is yours." (Alucard from Hellsing speaking to a Vatican envoy)

Wisdom is to know that rest is rust and that real life is in love, laughter and work - Elbert Hubbard

There are some days when I think I am going to die from an overdose of satisfaction - Salvador Dali

Fate seems to work with dice rather than a T-square - George Ade

Anyone can win, provided there's no second entry - George Ade

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing is best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting - e.e. cummings

qspeechc said:
Wisdom is to know that rest is rust and that real life is in love, laughter and work - Elbert Hubbard

There are some days when I think I am going to die from an overdose of satisfaction - Salvador Dali

Fate seems to work with dice rather than a T-square - George Ade

Anyone can win, provided there's no second entry - George Ade

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing is best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting - e.e. cummings

Those are really good.

"It's fun to be a sucker, if you can afford it."
-Diamond Jim Brady