Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,122
Ivan Seeking said:
Someone here had it as a sig... not sure who now.
I saw it as a signature in the old PF 2.0.

• #1,123
petm1 said:
When in trouble,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and Shout!

I have seen this work it was not a pretty sight but effective. One night I stopped for a frantic young lady in the fast lane of a six lane highway. She was running in circles while screaming and waving her arms. Within her circle was a person who had already been hit and then ran over by multiple vehicles. After the victim was loaded into an ambulance for transport to the hospital, I asked her why? Her reply “nothing else would get people to stop”.

I was caught a bit off guard by a tsunami once.(April 23rd, 2006. ~2:17pm) I was calm and collected as usual. But this very pretty young lady was running in circles, screaming and shouting before the wave hit. It totally distracted me.

Ah! This isn't random thoughts!

Ah!

:redface:

• #1,124
The first law of mechanics: Righty tighty lefty loosey.

• #1,125
The first thing we teach people visiting our flight simulators:
Stick forward, houses get bigger. Stick backwards, houses get smaller.

• #1,126
jhae2.718 said:
The first thing we teach people visiting our flight simulators:
Stick forward, houses get bigger. Stick backwards, houses get smaller.

:smile:

OK, that's classic.

• #1,127
Ivan Seeking said:
The first law of mechanics: Righty tighty lefty loosey.

Unless you're using propane hoses or any right hand threaded screws.

• #1,128
Lancelot59 said:

...And just like that *poof* the safe bubble in which I've lived evaporates! :wink:

• #1,129
Lancelot59 said:

You mean left hand threads, right?

• #1,130
jhae2.718 said:
You mean left hand threads, right?

Yes. Those ones. :rolleyes:

• #1,132
OmCheeto said:

Heh... good pal of mine has his birthday on the 15th... that's how I've said, "happy birthday" to him for over 20 years.

I was a prick even as a kid... big shocker right? :wink:

-----

"This is a psychiatric failure, it's not a political failure; it's a failure of our ability to provide basic care for people who have 'brain diseases- that are seriously mentally. If these people had kidney diseases we wouldn't stand for it, but they don't understand the brain well enough and we have completely failed them." (Dr. E Fuller Torrey on CNN regarding the Loughner incident, in an hour dedicated to Schizophrenia.)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,133
If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup.

-Turkish Proverb

Especially true in the modern era.

• #1,134
"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft

• #1,135
Lancelot59 said:
Yes. Those ones. :rolleyes:

Let me repeat that: Right tighty lefty loosey! :biggrin:

• #1,136
"Eugene is a very natural people. You see, his way of saying 'thank you' is to get drunk and not go to work." (Eugene Mirman)

• #1,137
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
— Albert Einstein

• #1,138
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." (James Keller)

• #1,139
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

• #1,140
nismaratwork said:
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle." (James Keller)

"As the eagle was killed by the arrow winged with his own feather, so the hand of the world is wounded by its own skill."
(Helen Keller)

• #1,141
"I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace."
(Helen Keller)

• #1,142
Tom Mattson said:
I think the last straw was when he reported Integral (a Mentor!) to Greg. LOL
:smile:

• #1,143
"Sometimes the journey towards a destination can be more fruitful than the destination itself"

I actually heard it in a cartoon many years ago:biggrin:

• #1,144
Guitars are probably the only things in the world that don't lose their value.

A friend of mine :)

• #1,145
Lacy33 said:
"As the eagle was killed by the arrow winged with his own feather, so the hand of the world is wounded by its own skill."
(Helen Keller)

That's a truly amazing quote... I'd love to be able to have a thought of that quality just ONCE in my life.

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so." (Douglas Adams)

House MD said:
"Wilson: [standing in the back] Do you think he was dead? Do you think those experiences were real?
House: Define real. They were real experiences. What they meant… Personally, I choose to believe that the white light people sometimes see, visions, this patient saw. They’re all just chemical reactions that take place when the brain shuts down.
Foreman: You choose to believe that?
House: There’s no conclusive science. My choice has no practical relevance to my life, I choose the outcome I find more comforting.
Cameron: You find it more comforting to believe that this is it?
House: I find it more comforting to believe that this simply isn’t a test."

• #1,146
A few of mine (pardon if any are repeats):

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them." -Galileo Galilei

"Life is sweet but honor is sacred!" - Tara of Helium (from E.R.Burroughs' "Chess Men of Mars")

"The ultimate minority is the individual" -Ayn Rand

"If someone tries to kill, you try try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal (Firefly)

"They're going to need some more FBI guys, I guess." -Dwayne T. Robinson (Die Hard)

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."- Rat (Wind in the Willows)

• #1,147
jambaugh said:
"If someone tries to kill, you try try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal (Firefly)

Or, you could force them to watch daytime TV until they promise to never try and kill you again. Like these guys:
aggggh-a-spider.gif

Firefly had a bunch of good lines. For instance:
"We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!" - Wash

• #1,148
This is one I came up with. Does it make sense?

"If something is over your head, reach up and grab it."

• #1,149
FtlIsAwesome said:

"if something is over your head reach up and grab it...,or else it might poop in your hair"

• #1,150
FtlIsAwesome said:

Actually it does. Nicely done.

• #1,151
I was thinking of the common saying that something's over your head, such as advanced physics, when you don't understand it. So pursue it and gain more knowledge.

• #1,152
"If you are good at some thing never do it for free"

The Joker from the "Dark Knight"

• #1,153
"Perfection - a beautiful fairy tale that always leaves you hating yourself"
- http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/disease-called-perfection.html

• #1,154
FizixFreak said:
"If you are good at some thing never do it for free"

The Joker from the "Dark Knight"

A bit of charity now and then is fine, I think, but there is some wisdom in what you say. A hobby or casual skill can prove to valuable. I now get paid to do things I used to do for fun.

On the flip side, there is the idea that one should never make a job out of a hobby.

6 Reasons to Keep Your Hobby a Hobby (and Not Make Your Hobby a Business)
http://www.carolroth.com/unsolicited-business-advice/?p=3236

• #1,155
Ivan Seeking said:
A bit of charity now and then is fine, I think, but there is some wisdom in what you say. A hobby or casual skill can prove to valuable. I now get paid to do things I used to do for fun.

On the flip side, there is the idea that one should never make a job out of a hobby.

http://www.carolroth.com/unsolicited-business-advice/?p=3236

Well there are degrees to what people like to do there are hobbies and then there is passion i don't see any thing wrong with getting paid for doing some thing you love to do or you are passionate about to some extent i see it as a luxury but then again there are somethings you will never do for money even if they needed it badly i don't think there is a word in English language to describe that but you get the idea right?