Free time while pursuing my undergraduate degree

• Thread starter whatamievendoing
  • Start date
Tinker how you will. But consider this. For every $10K you borrow you can expect a monthly payment for the loan of about $100. The current starting salary for most BSs in ME is between $78K and $84K. Since the trade-off between living on campus and in a van off campus is probably less than $8K/year, a debt of $32K is a monthly payment of $320. Unless you developed some exorbitant lifestyle this is a piece of cake for a single person. You can better concentrate on your studies and get to know your classmates better.

Physics news on Phys.org
One more comment to throw into the pot. When it is crunch time (exams, unexpectedly long/difficult homework, group projects, etc.), "easy" living is even more valuable. You're hungry and out of food? Drop into dorm cafeteria or student union and grab something quick---no grocery shopping needed. Laundry needs doing? Down the hall from dorm room. Need a book from the library at 10PM? Walk across the street to the library.

A part of me still thinks OP should try the van scheme. Young with lots of energy and many life lessons to be learned through failure or success. But the real trouble with the van is what happens if mid-semester it just isn't working. It is hard to see an easy way to switch to a plan B.

Likes russ_watters, whatamievendoing, ohwilleke and 1 other person
Haborix said:
A part of me still thinks OP should try the van scheme.
The OP should be trying to create an environment that is conducive to success. His idea introduces risks beyond those of a normal college student. He is investing time (4 years) and tuition ($60k to $160k). It only takes a couple of blown tests to significantly depreciate this investment.

Likes russ_watters, gmax137 and Vanadium 50
I agree that the OP is going to keep asking and asking and asking until he gets the answer he wants.

There are also plenty of students who are doing well at 15 and struggle getting into the college of their choice at 17. The OP has repeatedly told us that he is too smart for that, but as they say, talk is cheap.

But the number I really take issue with is 600-630 hours. The idea that one knows the effort required for such an ill-defined task to 5% is implausible. Heck, I don't think one knows how much effort it takes to wash a van to 5%.

Likes PhDeezNutz, whatamievendoing and PeterDonis
gmax137 said:
Yes. But I wanted to do a lot of things when I was 15 that I had forgotten about by the time I was 17 or 18. Make of that what you will.

CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>> Simply "forgotten", correct? Not "logically persuaded by others to drop them when I asked whether they were good ideas or not". There's a significant difference.
And both of you are right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters
whatamievendoing said:
Clemson University is in Clemson, South Carolina. As far as I am concerned, living on family owned land is not illegal, and considering it is less than a 15 minute bike ride from campus, I think it would actually be a better idea than spending over 20 grand per year for 8 years, plus the cost of tuition. I do see your point as to how I would save up the money, however I could take out a loan if need be (already would be required for college). As for the whole freezing thing, I would invest into climate control, such as insulation and heating for the mediocre winters I would experience. I am a hard worker and am very capable of making and saving money, despite my inexperience.
Do you have experience installing such devices? What if there is a snow? Many people in the midwest still die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year...

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
My two cents...

Going to college and trying to work is fraught with a lot of pain. You simply cannot balance the two. I know this from experience.

I went to a local college to study physics. Compared to neighboring schools my highschool was behind the times. Our most advanced math course was Precalculus. It was a great course taught by a master teacher but it wasn't Calculus.

Over the summer, I learned Differential Calculus everything except the limit proofs. To me they were an unnecessary inconvenience. Fortunately, my college staggered the courses you needed to take to ensure that you would have both parts of Calculus under your belt by the time you started Introductory College Physics.

But I was working 20 hrs a week and I was in a hurry to learn more physics so I tested out of Differential Calculus. The prof was kind enough to approve after a brief test and a question on the meaning of the epsilon-delta limit proofs. That was the gotcha, I got it wrong and had to visit with him a couple of times explaining it in my own words. Finally in exasperation, I recited the book definition and he said you know I think you got it and smiled.

I thought I was pretty smart jumping ahead like that into meatier courses. I didn't care much about GPA or grades just learning. In hindsight, it would have been an easy A, and I let it pass me by.

During the first two years, I was able to glide through the important classes related to physics and math, but I was not too fond of chemistry for its afternoon 4-hour lab work. I was a commuter and tried to get all my classes in the morning so I could get the bus home in the afternoon, do some homework, and then go to work at the local Big-N department store. Big-N was a competitor to Kmart and very much like it, except we didn't have the blue light specials.

I even managed to take a few extra classes, which the college allowed without additional cost. Our college used a trimester system, with 10 weeks per trimester and three courses worth 3 and 1/3 credit hours each. Learning was very compressed. I knew of one student who doubled up taking six courses per trimester and effectively graduated with a four-year degree in two years while only paying for two years of college.

The third year, courses and homework started to get really tough and I had trouble keeping up. Each year of college is like 3 years of high school and if you don't stay on top of things or have the time to do so you will falter and fail.

My classical mechanics class (book Classical Dynamics by Marion) was taught on Mondays and Fridays. On Monday, we were given our homework for the week to be due the following Monday. I planned to wait until the weekend since I had no free time during the week which in hindsight was not a good plan.

In those days, we had no internet, only the college library, but being a commuter who worked, I had little time to go there and relied on my ability to get through the work. It always took me longer looking at whatever books I had to piece together an answer.

What made matters worse was that the Professor said, "Well, since you all are almost finished with Monday's work, here are a few more problems to be due on Monday, too." I was floored. I did my best, but I always managed to hand in my homework a few days late. The professor would tell me, "Your homework is good, its organized with clarity of thought but since it's late, I have to dock you a grade."

This pattern continued until I graduated with a low B average.

When my younger brother, who was 10 years younger than me, went to college, I told my parents that he shouldn't work because it would affect his grades. He didn't, and eventually, he got his PhD in physics. In contrast, I have a MS in Comp Sci and somehow I felt I failed in my mission. However, later while working full time managed to accrue almost enough graduate credits for an MS in Physics too.

My work allowed me to pay off my college loans six months after I graduated, but it impeded me from getting a higher academic degree like my brother did.

Please consider this story as relevant to your plan:
- working 20 hrs is too much
- no time to study / no time to play
- college gets tougher each year/people hit brick walls in their junior year
- don't skip courses you can do easily they will help your GPA
- don't work if you don't have to / it might give you 10 hours per week free time
Although I do agree, that ideally one should not work at all if one goes to college. Since thats time away from studying.
Not everyone has this luxury as you yourself did not. What I will say, is to work the necessary hours to survive. Nothing more.

The majority of kids, not saying the op falls into this category. Are more preoccupied with looking fresh, and having the latest and newest gadgets. Which causes them to work unnecessary hours to buy these things.

Not to mention the low standards highschools have today. Many students are not mature enough to balance both. I believe maturity is true culprit.

Im part Mexican part Comanche, and grew up on the reservation most of my life, and moved to Compton around 15. I had ill parents [ my mom is 75 and father would have been 80]. Hence, I started working around this time and eventually dropped out. It was either work full time or be homeless.
As I turned 21, I enrolled into a GED program and started college. Had to take remedial mathematics [arithmetic] and from memory, I took about 12 to 13 math classes to transfer.

Fast forward, I recently got an MS in mathematics, while working 30 to 40 hours a during undergrad/grad. Moreover, I had a family to take care of. Had no free time. Just work/school. I did have female companionship, but never a gf. My situation was on the severe side, I believe.

I have seen students work 20 hours, some did well and graduated. Others flunked out. The common denominator was students who were mature eventually graduated, and those who were not flunked.

Likes gentzen, whatamievendoing, gmax137 and 2 others
MidgetDwarf said:
Fast forward, I recently got an MS in mathematics
Wow, what a success story! Good job. :smile:

Likes pinball1970, PhDeezNutz, WWGD and 3 others
I really think OP’s best interests would be served by building up money by taking a few years off and working.

Don’t you think coming home to a van would take a mental toll on you? I respect your SAT scores. I respect your accomplishments. I respect your passion but I think you’re overzealous.

As @Vanadium 50 as repeatedly pointed out the logistics of living in a van is not feasible (for most people at least). Imagine having to drive to take a P or an S. C’mon man.

You’re young. You have time. Do yourself a service and build yourself up to be in a better position first.

Likes whatamievendoing, pinball1970, gleem and 1 other person
I’ll add though my friend recently graduated with a degree in software engineering. He lived in his car for a non trivial amount of his schooling.

If this is really what you want to do. Get a gym membership at 24 hour fitness so you can use their bathroom for the usual body functions and a shower.

Maybe in the meantime you can get jacked.

Assuming you can cook in your van…..

• Informative
Likes whatamievendoing and berkeman
PhDeezNutz said:
Get a gym membership at 24 hour fitness
I know they offer a senior discount (don't ask me how I know that); do they offer a student discount?

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz
berkeman said:
I know they offer a senior discount (don't ask me how I know that); do they offer a student discount?
Apparently they do not. But I’m gonna assume that it’s about $40 a month. $480 is not a bad price to pay for using a restroom when you have no other options.

Total side note: I recently squatted 305 pounds for a personal record……..pretty good for a person that has worked out sporadically over the last 4 years….and had only worked out seriously for the last 5 weeks.

Old man strength at 36.

"Hey, my plan is to join the ranks of the homeless when I go to college!"
"And here at PF we think this is such a good idea that we're willing to help you."

What did the OP ever do to us?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, CrysPhys and Frabjous
Cross-referencing another thread. "Ten Simple Rules to Live By":

(1) Suffering is good for the soul.

ETA: "Ten Simple Rules for Responding to PF Threads":

(1) When an OP seeks validation for choices they've already made, humor them. "Why, yes of course, you are making the right choices."

ETA-1: In case it's not obvious, all of the above is intended sarcasm.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
There is another path. Graduate from high school, join the military for four years, save money. A savings account with $50,000 is easy, with more than that possible. The person would also get the GI Bill scholarship program. And the military encourages education, so getting the first year or more of college online is very doable.

I did something similar. I left college after two years for a number of reasons. I was in the wrong major (EE), didn't know what major I really wanted, was tired of poverty, wanted to do some traveling, tired of school, and needed a break. So I dropped out, and joined the US Air Force. Four years later, I had traveled across the country by hitchhike, motorcycle, small airplane, and antique truck. I had a savings account, knew what I wanted to do (ME), had the financial resources to do it, and was mentally recharged. I graduated college with no debt and enough money to make a down payment on a house.

Likes russ_watters, WWGD, PeterDonis and 2 others
CrysPhys said:
(1) When an OP seeks validation for choices they've already made, humor them. "Why, yes of course, you are making the right choices."
While some go too far in criticizing foolishness, one should never validate it.

Likes Vanadium 50
Good point, @jrmichler . I recalled applying to the US Coast Guard Academy in 1970 and having the SAT and grades they sought. I had an Explorer Scout mentor who had gone to the Academy. He said it gave him an excellent education and some serious sailing skills.

Coast Guard personnel are eligible for the GI Education Bill, which pays 100% for college after three years of active duty. Much of their work involves patrolling coastal areas, rescue work, and drug interdiction.

---

What stopped me from going was the physical. I had terrible vision in one eye, aka amblyopia, more commonly known as lazy eye. It was correctable with glasses, but their physical requirements were no worse than 20/100, correctable to 20/20 with glasses, and my right eye was measured at 20/400.

I remember going to the Albany Post Office, where all military physicals were done. We were treated very cordially by everyone. They asked us to line up for inspection and then ran us through several tests. When I failed the eye exam, the doctor apologized but said the army would gladly take me. As I was leaving, another group of recruits was ushered in, and I heard the army sergeant yell, "Alright, you draftees, line up over there! Now!"

---

Amblyopia is funny because I can see the same image in both eyes but it's like I'm seeing it through a heavy screen. One side effect is that it impairs my ability to target anything using a bow since I'm right-handed and use my right arm to pull the bowstring back, and I can't sight down the arrow like better archers can.

jrmichler said:
join the military for four years, save money
Not everyone who plans on doing this saves money. Sadly, many joining the military adjust their spending upward to match their new income.

Given the OP's resistance to advice, I would question how well he will do in the military. People entering the military, especially in the early phases, get a lot of...well, lets call it advice and feedback from more senior members.

Vanadium 50 said:
People entering the military, especially in the early phases, get a lot of...well, lets call it advice

1725129720685.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_instructor

Hollywood made several great movies on military boot camp:

1) The most notable "Band of Brothers" series, where the first couple of episodes depict the harshness of the training. My dad was in the WW2 Battle of the Bulge and wanted to see this series, but after the first few episodes, he just stopped when they arrived in England before any combat happened. It was then that I realized the true impact the war had on him nearly sixty years later, in 2004.

2) Stripes: A Bill Murray comedy on boot camp with a group of rejects eventually getting into the groove with Bill Murray's help.

3) Tribes: A Darren McGavin and Jan Michael Vincent (Airwolf) movie where Vincent is a new draftee recruit from California and very laid back.

---

I've never been to boot camp. My closest recollection is a three-day Taekwondo camp at a school north of West Point. It was a grueling three days that, on reflection, improved our TKD skills by at least 6 to 12 months of once-a-week two-hour classes on Fridays.

We did a two- to three-hour morning session at 6 a.m., had breakfast and rest, then another two-hour noon practice followed by a two-hour late afternoon practice. Our South Korean 80-year-old grandmaster was there and ran everything like clockwork. He was the most demanding teacher I ever met.

Likes berkeman
Frabjous said:
While some go too far in criticizing foolishness, one should never validate it.
Just to avoid any misunderstanding: My Reply #84 in its entirety was intended sarcasm. I thought about adding an appropriate emoticon when I first wrote it, but then judged it superfluous. I've since added a clarifying comment after reading your response.

Last edited:
Likes Frabjous
CrysPhys said:
Just to avoid any misunderstanding: My Reply #84 in its entirety was intended sarcasm. I thought about adding an appropriate emoticon when I first wrote it, but then judged it superfluous. I've since added a clarifying comment after reading your response.
Written sarcasm is frequently missed.

Frabjous said:
Written sarcasm is frequently missed.
sarcasm.jpg

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
whatamievendoing said:
I am sure some of my other friends will get into Clemson as well
If that comes to pass, have you considered sharing an off-campus apartment with one or more of them? I suspect it might be cheaper than living in a dorm, although you’d have to run the numbers for the situation in Clemson.

I didn’t have to consider that option for undergrad, because my parents were able to pay my way. But I did do it for grad school, with other physics grad students as roommates. It definitely helped make ends meet on a grad-student stipend.

The other big factor that helped was not owning a car, but instead bicycling, walking and using public transportation.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and gleem
jedishrfu said:
Hollywood made several great movies on military boot camp
The Boys in Company C and Full Metal Jacket both have good portions about boot camp.

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
Folks, we are way jumping the gun here.

(1) The OP hasn't even gotten into Clemson yet. Yes, he did well in junior high school, but that is only a start. It is not guaranteed, and my estimate is that it will require a lot of work for the rest of high school.

(2) There is no financial aid package yet, so there is no way to determine what is an is not affordable. Furthermore, the OP has said that this plan is to save money and he has said that it isn't.

(3) There is a strong consensus that an engineering degree is a full-time job (or close to it). Yes, the OP doesn't want to hear this, and yes, some people without engineering degrees have said otherwise. A plan that requires the OP to hold down essentially two jobs is highly unlikely to succeed.

To my mind, PF does the OP an extreme disservice by encouraging the "vantasy." Instead we should be encouraging him to excel in high school.

Likes jtbell, Frabjous and jedishrfu
Yep, first things first…

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Just a comment for the military option recommended by some posters. Several of my co-workers at one company were in the Army Reserves. They talked about the benefits they received, with relatively little risk at the time. Then in the aftermath of 9/11/2001, several were deployed to Iraq. So those contemplating the military option should not overlook the risks.

Likes PhDeezNutz and jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
Not everyone who plans on doing this saves money. Sadly, many joining the military adjust their spending upward to match their new income.

Given the OP's resistance to advice, I would question how well he will do in the military. People entering the military, especially in the early phases, get a lot of...well, lets call it advice and feedback from more senior members.
I do tend to struggle with authority, as i had been basically used as a doormat my entire life. As a result of being bullied, i am resistant to authorities, especially those who are roughly my age.

For all of the people who have said to join the military, i have contemplated this option. The only problem i see with it is the spot that i would like in the air force (either in engineering or on the space program) is not guaranteed. This then causes me to not like the idea, because my whole plan isnt to fight for this country, as i plan to expatriate myself to an asian or european country eventually.

I overall feel that this option carries too much risk, especially for my physical well being (ie. fighting wars). I do consider myself a good shot with pellet guns, however I just simply dont see the appeal of guns in general, so there is no reason for me to learn how to use one. If i could guarantee either one of the two out of ten jobs i would like, this option would be more feasible, however at the moment i feel that the risks and drawbacks outweigh any gains.

Another option that i have would be go get an apprenticeship at a local engineering firm. I would get a full ride, plus i would be paid to get my degree. I could have this option my junior year in high school, and this would allow me to graduate debt free, attend a trade school (which honestly seems less and less of a scam) all whilst receiving on the job training and not being tied to any contract or company.

Likes .Scott
PhDeezNutz said:
I’ll add though my friend recently graduated with a degree in software engineering. He lived in his car for a non trivial amount of his schooling.

If this is really what you want to do. Get a gym membership at 24 hour fitness so you can use their bathroom for the usual body functions and a shower.

Maybe in the meantime you can get jacked.

Assuming you can cook in your van…..
This was my plan, and yes, i do also plan to install an induction cooktop/oven with the 800w solar system. I also love to cook so i see this as a win-win.

whatamievendoing said:
I do tend to struggle with authority, as i had been basically used as a doormat my entire life. As a result of being bullied, i am resistant to authorities, especially those who are roughly my age.
You will submit in the military lol. By force or by choice.

I have mixed feelings about someone joining the military.

Ie,, the possibility of being killed.
chance of ptsd , particularly for combat vets. The world is not a nice place, and it appears to be more conflict than usual brewing. I came to this conclusion, since I keep getting pestered by recruiters for officer school [all branches], and im 34.

There are some positive. You will always have a paycheck, GI Bill, discipline, and a roof over your head. Hell i knew people who joined the military since they can carry guns and shoot people and not go to jail lol.

I am of the belief of rather than send people to jail, maybe they can be given to choice to join the military instead.

Did you think of the van idea by seing a few TiKToc videos of people converting and living in one? I was told that the majority of those people making TiKToc videos of RV life are actually financed by parents or even sugar daddies/mommies.

The van idea a terrible one. When you are old enough and ready to attend college. Get a part time job and share a room with someone. Or you can suck it up for 5 years and live with family. Its only 5 years.

Likes symbolipoint
whatamievendoing said:
<<Emphasis added>> This is an odd statement. You're a sophomore in high school. What authorities are you referring to who are roughly your own age? Or is there another backstory here, and you're significantly older than a typical sophomore in high school?

whatamievendoing said:
I do tend to struggle with authority
Not to worry. Military drill instructors are real good at explaining exactly who is in charge. I finished Air Force Basic wondering where all the stories about Basic being difficult came from. "I though this was supposed to be tough?". My daughter had no trouble with Marine Corps Basic, and she had never been a person interested in proving herself physically.

whatamievendoing said:
As a result of being bullied
The military is very much into teamwork. Bullying tends to get stopped immediately and firmly by one's coworkers / fellow GI's without involving superior officers.

I spent most of my enlistment in a photo lab in Southern California. The worst part of my job was walking out of a 70 deg F building, getting on my bicycle, and pedaling six miles to the barracks at 110 deg F.

Likes russ_watters and PeterDonis