Homemade Electric DC motor for school project

harsh1
Homework Statement
I made a simple electomanget motor, I am using copper magnetic wire with 120 turn on each side of a iron nail, this issue I am getting is that it's is not spinning. Specifically the iron nail is always attracing to the permanent magnets and is not giving the repulsion force needing it to create the spin.
Relevant Equations
No equation needed
No solution given

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you might need a commutator. Google might be a good next step.
"I tried to build this thing and it didn't work". Isn't a question, and if it was, it would be really hard to answer.

Also, those simple motors WILL NOT start on their own. You have to give them a good spin to get them going. Depending on construction details, the may have a preferred direction of rotation, however most wil spin either direction.

Reading other posts listed below in the Similiar threads section may help too.

Likes DeBangis21, berkeman, russ_watters and 1 other person
harsh1 said:
I made a simple electomagnet motor, ... , this issue I am getting is that it is not spinning.
Welcome to PF.

Once you have looked at the similar threads below, if you still have no luck, attach a picture of the motor you built so we can see the detail, and give us a link to the instructions you have. That will make it easier for all.

Likes Tom.G, DeBangis21 and DaveE