How much time do you spend on various devices each day?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: I have XM on my computer, and an actual radio integrated into my tuner. I never go without... sound. Often NPR, and classical.My best pal for a couple of decades is a radio junkie too. We both grew up listening to AM/FM radio.We both grew up listening to AM/FM radio.

What you have?

• cell, landline phone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cell

• landline phone

• Total voters
rootX
See above.

How much time you spend (daily basis) on:
internet
landline
cell
tv
handheld devices?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Cell, internet, and no TV :biggrin:.

lisab said:

Crap! I forgot TV :frown:

I have a TV but I don't use it.

I use my cell phone the least, its mostly for emergency's when I'm on the road.

I only have cell and internet. I live in residence at the U of Saskatchewan, but even if I had my own place I doubt I would have a TV. Anything I want to watch on TV I can find online. I also doubt I would have a landline, I don't see much of a point having two separate phones.

Cell, landline, intertoobs and TV

Cell makes and receives phone calls and the occasional text. That's all it does.

Time:
Cell: as little as humanly possible
Land: as little as humanly possible
TV: most evenings
Intertoobs: some at work, several hours at home, most of it on PF

lisab said:

rootX said:
Crap! I forgot TV :frown:

I have a TV but I don't use it.
I'm a little different. I have a TV (and it's now been close to 3 yrs since I bought it - what was I thinking?), but it's still in its original packing! Maybe someday it'll come out of the box, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

We do a lot of internet viewing on our TV. Just place icons for your favorite connections on the desktop and you effectively have a channel selector. A wireless mouse is the new shooter. The down side is that the shooter doesn't come apart if you throw it to your partner; the mouse does. Still need a toss-hardened mouse.

I usually have CNN, the BBC, or PBS on in the background while I work. Due to the continuous stream of emails for work, I am usually online... which is why I am often tempted to play here when I should be working.

Here is one distinction that I've noticed: TV doesn't waste my time like the internet does. The internet can be a real time sink. If I need to meet a pending deadline, I have to cut the internet connection.

Last edited:

lisab said:

Same here. :biggrin: Now my spouse talks to our middle child... before all they did was watch TV together.

physics girl phd said:
Now my spouse talks to our middle child...
Child (yelling): "WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY TV?"
Spouse: (yelling): "I DON'T KNOW. ASK YOUR MOM! THEN TELL ME WHAT SHE SAYS!"

The waste heat from my electronics is generally sufficient to heat my home in winter. 'nuff said.

Last edited:

DaveC426913 said:
Child (yelling): "WHY DON'T WE HAVE ANY TV?"
Spouse: (yelling): "I DON'T KNOW. ASK YOUR MOM! THEN TELL ME WHAT SHE SAYS!"

Sometimes... especially now that it's March Madness. But my spouse is usually in agreement that no tv is good for the family.

More often... they are both hunched together over my spouse's Blackberry, discussing some news article or wiki-link (yesterday they were looking at lists of the best and worst movies of all time.).:mad:

Ivan Seeking said:
Here is one distinction that I've noticed: TV doesn't waste my time like the internet does. The internet can be a real time sink. If I need to meet a pending deadline, I have to cut the internet connection.

I have radio for that. I run my radio while working (sometimes even more than 10-14 hours).

rootX said:
I have radio for that. I run my radio while working (sometimes even more than 10-14 hours).

Music, Talk, Mix?

nismaratwork said:
Music, Talk, Mix?

Oh I think we need a poll :biggrin:!

Last edited by a moderator:

lisab said:
Oh I think we need a poll :biggrin:!

I don't think too many people here listen to radio, do they?

rootX said:
I don't think too many people here listen to radio, do they?

I have XM on my computer, and an actual radio integrated into my tuner. I never go without... sound. Often NPR, and classical.

My best pal for a couple of decades is a radio junkie too. I don't know if it's common or not, but we're both 30, so... maybe it is?

Oh, and good choices.

For landline, I use Caller ID. For TV, I listen from my computer in another room. CDs, mostly unused, rest in their cubbyholes. No subwoofer for the car, as it a temptation.

Radio seems to be my option for car and night listening. Radio & XM sounds cool.

I have never heard any XM radio (neither I know anyone who listens to XM) .. I am still on FM while my parents are on AM :)

rootX said:
I have never heard any XM radio (neither I know anyone who listens to XM) .. I am still on FM while my parents are on AM :)

XM is great for the dedicated channels to a given genre, and variety, but I still mostly go FM.

Don't worry old man, you'll catch up! :wink:

I listen to the radio frequently. While I drive, probably 50% radio 50% CDs. I like listening with headphones when I do chores around the house or exercise. Listening to NPR right now, in fact.

I has a cell phone and an interblag.

lisab said:
I listen to the radio frequently. While I drive, probably 50% radio 50% CDs. I like listening with headphones when I do chores around the house or exercise. Listening to NPR right now, in fact.

We should have a new poll! :biggrin:

rootX said:
We should have a new poll! :biggrin:

If you do, make sure to include Pandora. It's all that I listen to.

FAQ: How much time do you spend on various devices each day?

1. How do you measure the amount of time you spend on devices each day?

As a scientist, I use a variety of tools and methods to accurately measure the time I spend on devices. These can include time-tracking apps, self-reporting, and observational studies.

2. What devices are included in the measurement?

The devices included in the measurement can vary depending on the study or individual. However, common devices that are often included are smartphones, computers, tablets, and televisions.

3. What is considered a "device" in this context?

In this context, a device is any electronic tool or machine that allows for communication, information retrieval, or entertainment. This can include but is not limited to cell phones, laptops, gaming consoles, and e-readers.

4. Is there a recommended daily limit for device usage?

As a scientist, I cannot make recommendations for daily device usage. However, various health organizations and experts suggest limiting screen time to 2 hours or less for children and no more than 7 hours for adults.

5. What are the potential effects of excessive device usage?

Excessive device usage has been linked to a variety of negative effects, including eye strain, poor posture, sleep disturbances, and social isolation. It can also contribute to decreased physical activity and a sedentary lifestyle.