How to Correctly Solve for the Minimum Distance Between Two Electrons?

In summary, when the first electron has an initial velocity, the second electron is at rest at a long distance. However, when they get closer to each other, they have kinetic energy and will continue to move.
Jake357
Homework Statement
An electron, having the initial velocity of 10^6 m/s, is approaching from a long distance another electron, which is free and at rest. Calculate the maximum force of interaction between the particles. The answer must be 2.26*10^-10 N
Relevant Equations
KE=mv^2/2
F=ke^2/d^2
I tried to make the kinetic energy of the first electron equal to the electric potential work.
mv^2/2=ke^2/d
We have to solve for the minimum distance between them: d=2ke^2/mv^2=5.05*10^-10 m
The force is: F=ke^2/d^2=9*10^-10 N, which is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second electron is free to move. Will both electrons ever come to rest?

TSny said:
The second electron is free to move. Will both electrons ever come to rest?
When the first electron has the known initial velocity the second electron is at rest (not moving) at a long unknown distance between them. And I think that when they will get the closest possible to each other they will still be moving, thus both having kinetic energy. So no, I don't think they will be at rest.

Jake357 said:
When the first electron has the known initial velocity the second electron is at rest (not moving) at a long unknown distance between them. And I think that when they will get the closest possible to each other they will still be moving, thus both having kinetic energy. So no, I don't think they will be at rest.
Yes. So, the initial KE is never completely converted into potential energy.

You might consider analyzing this problem form a different frame of reference that is moving relative to the original frame of reference.

If you want to keep the analysis in the original frame, then think about the relation between the velocities of the electrons when they are at minimum separation. Is there another conservation law besides energy conservation that could be helpful here?

Likes PeroK
TSny said:
Yes. So, the initial KE is never completely converted into potential energy.

You might consider analyzing this problem form a different frame of reference that is moving relative to the original frame of reference.

If you want to keep the analysis in the original frame, then think about the relation between the velocities of the electrons when they are at minimum separation. Is there another conservation law besides energy conservation that could be helpful here?
I think the conservation of momentum also should be used.

Jake357 said:
I think the conservation of momentum also should be used.
Yes.

Related to How to Correctly Solve for the Minimum Distance Between Two Electrons?

What is electric potential?

Electric potential, often denoted by V, is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential (V) is the electric potential energy (U) per unit charge (q). Mathematically, it is expressed as V = U/q. This means that the electric potential at a point is the work done to move a unit positive charge from a reference point to that specific point in the electric field.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential difference?

Electric potential refers to the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential difference (also known as voltage) is the difference in electric potential between two points. The potential difference is what drives current between two points in a circuit.

How is work related to electric potential?

Work done by an electric field in moving a charge from one point to another is related to the electric potential difference between those two points. The work (W) done in moving a charge (q) through a potential difference (ΔV) is given by W = qΔV.

How do you calculate the electric potential due to a point charge?

The electric potential (V) at a distance (r) from a point charge (Q) is given by the formula V = kQ/r, where k is Coulomb's constant (approximately 8.99 × 10^9 N·m²/C²). This formula assumes the potential is zero at an infinite distance from the charge.