Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
UK politics are silly. Even sillier are NZ politics.

Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
Holey moley, I've just seen the most amazing megalarge rainbow I've ever seen. I just looked outside my window by chance and almost couldn't believe my eyes... I rushed for my camera and took a set of pictures...will prepare them and then post a photo here :smile:. (by now the rainbow is almost gone)
I remeber the day i saw the most incredible sundog I've ever seen, no pict6ures have ever been posted of anything this awesome. Of course not one single camera in my house had working batteries and this was before I had a cell with a camera.

It was a solid inch wide column of hot pink rising straight up into the sky. Never seen anything like it posted online.

Evo said:
I remeber the day i saw the most incredible sundog I've ever seen, no pict6ures have ever been posted of anything this awesome.
I didn't know what sundogs are, so I had to look it up :smile:. Interesting!

Evo said:
Of course not one single camera in my house had working batteries and this was before I had a cell with a camera.
Aaargh!

Here's a photo of the rainbow - regretfully the pictures were not as good as I thought they would be (it's just a compact camera, handled by a mediocre photographer :smile:). I took a number of photos since the rainbow was too big to fit into the camera screen - and I will try to make a panorama later.

14276735127_97be8daf86.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a panorama of the megarainbow I talked about in post #738:

14461721521_1b1e63a7c5.jpg

Likes 2 people
Nice. 'Don't see that everyday.

I'm posting this with the app. Neato.

Psinter said:
Chocolate - Nutrition Facts :!)
Serving Size: 1/3 cup
What I serve myself: "until satisfied"

Vegetables - Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/3 cup
What I serve myself: "1/64 cup"
*fills the rest with chocolate*

Yeah, I just made some cookies. Servings per container: 16.
I ate them all in about 30 minutes.
Every box of any food I get is just one serving for me.

I'm so happy you looked out of the window and were able to share this gigarainbow with us.

I am 62 years old according to this Test...

I ate lots of sour cherries today!:rolleyes:

Wasn't there a member recipe thread? I perfected my no flour pancakes recipe! Well, perhaps it's random enough for here:

My oatmeal pancakes (no flour) recipe. -OR- How I've been getting my wife to eat oatmeal every sunday for the past year. Perfected at last! I believe this also qualifies as gluten free.

1 cup whole oats
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 oz (really 3.9) apple sauce VERY IMPORTANT
1 tbsp brown sugar
dash of vanilla
cinnamon to taste
as much water as needed for desired consistency

Run in food processor for..awhile.

The applesauce I am using is basically those little Mott's snack packs that come 6 per pack. I throw one of those in there. The applesauce holds it together well and gives it a nice little flavor.

It is pancake sunday in our house!

-Dave K

I only just recently picked up on some of these jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9cVCaOsBSA

(27:00-ish)
Rocky: "What kind of game can you play with girls?"

[pause]

Bullwinkle: "Boy! This really is a children's show, isn't it?" :smile:

if I was a transistor id probably be a generic like a 2n3055.

a high power sanken in a to-big package is what I aspire to be

thankz said:
if I was a transistor id probably be a generic like a 2n3055.

a high power sanken in a to-big package is what I aspire to be

I must admit, "if I were a transistor" is a phrase I have never heard, nor even thought :smile:.

lisab said:
I must admit, "if I were a transistor" is a phrase I have never heard, nor even thought :smile:.

Me neither. I'd rather be a capacitor.

Resistor suits me best. Alternatively, any system with a large time constant. My Mom used to say I am so slow I even fall slower than others.

dkotschessaa said:
Me neither. I'd rather be a capacitor.
Borek said:
Resistor suits me best. Alternatively, any system with a large time constant. My Mom used to say I am so slow I even fall slower than others.

You two could form a band. :-p

electronic+jokes_2c10e5_4846288.jpg

Borg said:
You two could form a band. :-p

electronic+jokes_2c10e5_4846288.jpg

You just couldn't resist, could you...

dkotschessaa said:
You just couldn't resist, could you...
It was futile.

Borg said:
It was futile.

You have a capacity for understatement.

Thought:

Maybe the reason the U.S. isn't that interested in the world cup is that we're trying NOT to be a barbaric third world country?

Homophobic chants, people biting each other... no thanks.

dkotschessaa said:
Homophobic chants, people biting each other

You really want me to list Americans doing exactly that?

Borek said:
You really want me to list Americans doing exactly that?

Touche.

I'm not usually Mr. rah-rah America, mind you. It just seems that the whole spirit of this game is something humans should be moving away from, and here it is being celebrated.

But I am moving away from the required level of stochasticity for this thread, so I'll end it there.

Do you like me?

Yes OR No

Analysis:
Yes = 1
No = 0
1 || 0 = 1 = Yes

So he/she likes you.

Psinter said:
Do you like me?

Yes OR No

Analysis:
Yes = 1
No = 0
1 || 0 = 1 = Yes

So he/she likes you.

:biggrin:

[tex]2B\vee\neg 2B =?[/tex]
(To be, or not to be, that is the question)

Mandelbroth said:
I'm having fun reading these codes. :smile:

From the tutorial page:
By prefixing a noun with an adjective, you multiply it by two. Another adjective, and it is multiplied by two again, and so on. That way, you can easily construct any power of two or its negation. From there, it's easy to construct arbitrary integers using basic arithmetic, such as ``the sum of $X$ and $Y$'', where $X$ and $Y$ are themselves arbitrary integers.

For example, ``the difference between the square of the difference between my little pony and your big hairy hound and the cube of your sorry little codpiece''. Substituting the simple constants with numbers, we get ``the difference between the square of the difference between 2 and 4 and the cube of -4''. Now, since the difference between 2 and 4 is $2 - 4 = -2$, and the cube of $-4$ is $(-4)^3 =
-64$, this is equal to ``the difference between the square of $-2$ and $-64$''. The square of $-2$ is $(-2)^2 = 4$, and the difference of 4 and $-64$ is 60. Thus, ``the difference between the square of the difference between my little pony and your big hairy hound and the cube of your sorry little codpiece'' means 60.

OMG. Got a TAship. I actually didn't see it coming.

Bear-in-the-Big-Blue-House.gif

Mandelbroth said:
I'm having fun reading these codes. :smile:

I cannot grasp the "Hello World" code.

But alas, methinks, that perchance, Windows 8, utilized SPL developer suite, version 3.