Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,786
nuuskur said:
Human imagination knows no bounds :D

And still many choose to remain within the confines of the familiar, maybe because it is scary to
let your imagination fly away and not know where it will lead you. I like a statement in Metallica's
Eye of the Beholder : " ...limit your imagination, keep you where they must.." imagination is a ticket
out, the possibility of more, different options.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,787
OmCheeto said:
I decided that they'd all just pulled out of the above train station. But the laughing all started with one lady looking at her smart phone. I was curious what it was she had just seen.

I believe her laughing was staged. Whatever happened then was just a natural reaction of other people around.

• #1,788
Borek said:
I believe her laughing was staged. Whatever happened then was just a natural reaction of other people around.

I had a dream about you yesterday. Probably inspired by your post about "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter".

It was very segmented, and totally incomprehensible.

hmmm...

Is the concept of, and our allure to, video games, based on the human fascination with dreams?

Sorry if this has come up a million times before, but, I'm a bit slow.

• #1,789
OmCheeto said:
Is the concept of, and our allure to, video games, based on the human fascination with dreams?

What about books, movies, plays, paintings?

Good computer game is either 'just' a product of a good craftsmanship, or a piece of art.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,790
Borek said:
What about books, movies, plays, paintings?

Good computer game is either 'just' a product of a good craftsmanship, or a piece of art.

hmmm... After some googling, regarding dreams: "What Dreams May Come", and the ending line of "A.I." , and some analyses by different folk, I think I like the following answer the best:

• #1,791
I forgot what I was going to post so have a fractal:

flamewarrior.png

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto and lisab
  • #1,792
No dream ever comes true via playing a game.

Likes lisab and RonL
  • #1,793
Enigman said:
I forgot what I was going to post so have a fractal:

View attachment 75026

Fractals sure have come a long way since when I first saw them.

In your fractal, I see a mind numbed angel, making a very boring piece of pottery.

It took my first computer, 24 hours to render the following:

pf.2014.11.02.1040.madelbrot01.jpg

hmmm... Not sure why I was impressed with it back then. Maybe, I saw, a butt.

I love the Minions. :)

• #1,794
Medicol said:
No dream ever comes true via playing a game.

I love your profile picture, but I have to say that it and a serious comment just don't belong on the same page (I do enjoy most of your post):D

Likes Medicol
  • #1,795
So LIKE please...

Likes nuuskur and RonL
  • #1,796
Medicol said:
So LIKE please...
Feel better ??;):D

Likes Medicol
  • #1,797
Note to the squeamish: move along, nothing to see here.

On my last backpacking trip several weeks ago, I got a pretty bad blister coming down the mountain. It was under my left toenail! I've never seen (or even heard of) that before. It hurt pretty bad. It got infected, I went to the doc and got some antibiotics. By now, as you would expect, the infection is all cleared.

Meanwhile that toenail is, erm...detaching, checking out, separating, paring ways with the rest of my body. No pain at all, though.

I remember many years ago jtbell had this happen in a sudden incident. I have to think that's the preferable way for it to go, if it has to go...sigh.

• #1,798
lisab said:
Note to the squeamish: move along, nothing to see here.

On my last backpacking trip several weeks ago, I got a pretty bad blister coming down the mountain. It was under my left toenail! I've never seen (or even heard of) that before. It hurt pretty bad. It got infected, I went to the doc and got some antibiotics. By now, as you would expect, the infection is all cleared.

Meanwhile that toenail is, erm...detaching, checking out, separating, paring ways with the rest of my body. No pain at all, though.

I remember many years ago jtbell had this happen in a sudden incident. I have to think that's the preferable way for it to go, if it has to go...sigh.
I hope you don't lose the nail for good:nb)
I did have a brother-in-law that had problems with his toe nails, he had them all removed, I was surprised his toes did not look that bad or funny at all.:)

• #1,799
RonL said:
I hope you don't lose the nail for good:nb)
I did have a brother-in-law that had problems with his toe nails, he had them all removed, I was surprised his toes did not look that bad or funny at all.:)
There's no turning back at this point - it's a "dead toenail walking", so to speak.

I've seen pics on the innerwebs of toes without toenails. I completely agree, it's not a bad look at all! It's not the aesthetics that bother me. It's just the deed itself I have to get through now.

What happened to your b-i-l that necesitated his nails be removed?

• #1,800
lisab said:
There's no turning back at this point - it's a "dead toenail walking", so to speak.

I've seen pics on the innerwebs of toes without toenails. I completely agree, it's not a bad look at all! It's not the aesthetics that bother me. It's just the deed itself I have to get through now.

What happened to your b-i-l that necesitated his nails be removed?
I think it was diabetes related, he was in pretty bad health for several years before his death last year.

• #1,801
RonL said:
I think it was diabetes related, he was in pretty bad health for several years before his death last year.
Diabetes can be nasty condition.

I mentioned a while back that a friend of mine just hit his toenail the wrong way and it flew off his toe. No particular pain, and he had no conditions. It was a freak happening.

• #1,802
had my thumb slammed in a door a few years ago, sucks to live like a month without a proper thumb when the nail is peeling off and it just hurts like there's no tomorrow :/

• #1,804
I thought moose was Canadian spelling for mouse.

• #1,805
WWGD said:
I thought moose was Canadian spelling for mouse.
That's mau5.

• #1,806
Random find, which for some reason cheered me up:

There was a young lady named Eva
Who went to the ball as Godiva,
But a change in the lights,
Showed a tear in her tights,
And a low fellow present yelled "Beaver"

Likes Medicol and RonL
  • #1,807
Borek said:

Amusing, but "Godiva" rhymes with "fiver" here so it doesn't work as well as it could.

Likes Medicol
  • #1,808
The only thing holding me all together at this point: hydrogen bonds.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,809
Borek said:

I know everyone has thought it, should we change the letter a to o ?

• #1,810
lisab said:
Thank God for hydrogen bonds:nb)

• #1,811
lisab said:
zJrsa.jpg

A bit of humour to pull you together.

Likes lisab, DennisN, Medicol and 1 other person
  • #1,812
RonL said:
Just thinking about it could be dangerous for you. Just sayin'

Likes RonL
  • #1,813
RonL said:
care to share with the rest of the class? :D which "a"?

• #1,814
lisab said:

Returning your hug.​

:)​

Likes lisab
  • #1,815
nuuskur said:
care to share with the rest of the class? :D which "a"?
oo):))?:):(:eek::eek::eek::nb) no sharing today:nb):D

Likes dlgoff
  • #1,816
Jonathan Scott said:
Amusing, but "Godiva" rhymes with "fiver" here so it doesn't work as well as it could.

It sort of works if you read it with a quasi-Russian/English-cockney sort of accent.

• #1,817
Jonathan Scott said:

Good point. As I don't speak English (I only read) it wasn't obvious to me. Godiva in Polish is pronounced as rhyming with "beaver".

• #1,819
Borek said:
Good point. As I don't speak English (I only read) it wasn't obvious to me. Godiva in Polish is pronounced as rhyming with "beaver".
In Austin, Tx there's a popular name "Bevo":)...that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
  • #1,820
My name is Bond. Hydrogen Bond.
EDIT: Just saw that Enigman had already done that joke above... :H

Likes lisab