Lame parameter mu = shear modulus derivation (rogue factor of 2)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the shear modulus and Lame parameter in the context of linear, symmetric, isotropic stress-strain formulas. The individual is trying to derive this relationship but encounters an issue with their substitution of a shear strain, leading to the conclusion that μ = G. The conversation also mentions the importance of including a ½ in the equation to account for a tensor.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I am trying and failing to derive that the shear modulus ##G## is equal to the Lame parameter ##\mu##. I start with the linear, symmetric, isotropic stress-strain formula: $$\sigma = \lambda \mathrm{tr}(\epsilon) \mathrm{I} + 2\mu \epsilon$$ I then substitute a simple (symmetric) shear strain: $$\epsilon = \epsilon_{xy} (\hat{x} \otimes \hat{y} + \hat{y} \otimes \hat{x} )$$ But then I end up with $$\sigma_{xy} = 2\mu \epsilon_{xy}$$ or equivalently $$G = 2\mu$$ What did I goof up?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Twigg

FAQ: Lame parameter mu = shear modulus derivation (rogue factor of 2)

What is the Lame parameter mu, and how is it related to the shear modulus?

The Lame parameter mu (μ) is one of the two Lame parameters used in the field of elasticity to describe the mechanical properties of materials. It is also known as the shear modulus (G) and represents the material's ability to resist shear deformation. Mathematically, μ = G, and it quantifies the rigidity of a material when subjected to shear stress.

Why is there a "rogue factor of 2" in the derivation of the shear modulus?

The "rogue factor of 2" often arises from different conventions and definitions used in the derivation of the shear modulus. This factor typically appears when relating shear stress and shear strain in the context of Hooke's law for isotropic materials. It is important to carefully follow the derivation steps and the specific definitions used to avoid confusion.

How do we derive the shear modulus from the Lame parameters?

The shear modulus (G) can be derived from the Lame parameters (λ and μ) using the relationship G = μ. In the context of isotropic materials, the Lame parameters are defined in terms of the material's Young's modulus (E) and Poisson's ratio (ν). The shear modulus is then given by G = E / [2(1 + ν)].

What role does the shear modulus play in material science and engineering?

The shear modulus is a critical parameter in material science and engineering as it describes the material's response to shear stress, which is a type of deformation where parallel planes slide past each other. It is essential for understanding and predicting how materials will behave under various loading conditions, such as torsion, bending, and shear forces.

Can you provide an example where the "rogue factor of 2" might cause confusion in practical applications?

An example where the "rogue factor of 2" might cause confusion is in the calculation of the shear strain energy in a material. If the factor is not correctly accounted for, it can lead to incorrect predictions of the material's behavior under shear stress. For instance, in finite element analysis, using the wrong factor could result in significant errors in the simulated stress and deformation fields.