[Magnetism] Determine the direction of the force experienced by a (+)C

In summary, the given solutions may be incorrect and further clarification may be needed to determine the correct answer.
Abood
Homework Statement
A proton travels with a speed of 3.0*10^6 m/s at an angle of 37 (degrees) west of north. A magnetic field of 0.30 T points to the north. Determine the following:
a) the magnitude of the magnetic force on the proton.
b) The direction of the magnetic force on the proton.
c) The proton's acceleration as it moves through the magnetic field
Relevant Equations
(Magnetic Force equations and Newton's Second Law)
F = Bvqsinθ
F = BILsinθ
F= ma

Alternative Right Hand Rule
Given:
q = 1.6*10^-19 C
B = 0.3 T north
v = 3*10^6 m/s north-west
θ = 37 (degrees)

Solution Attempt:
a) F = Bqvsinθ = (0.3)(1.6*10^-19)(3*10^6)(sin(37)) = 8.7*10^-14 N
b) Via right hand rule, F is into the page
c) a = F/m = 8.7*10^-14/1.6 × 10^−27 = 5.4*10^13 m/s^2

When I checked my answers with the given solutions, I found that answer b is incorrect which I didn't understand why.

I pointed the proton's direction to the west, the field to the north, and found my palm going inwards (into the page) but the solution shows that it should be out of the page. Did I do something incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abood said:
Did I do something incorrectly?
Don't think so. Given solutions can be in error, too.

Likes Abood
BvU said:
Don't think so. Given solutions can be in error, too.
I see, thank you very much!

Related to [Magnetism] Determine the direction of the force experienced by a (+)C

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other due to the motion of electric charges within them.

2. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is caused by the alignment of magnetic domains within a material. These domains contain electrons with aligned spins, which create a magnetic field. When two objects with magnetic fields interact, they can either attract or repel each other based on the orientation of their magnetic domains.

3. What is the direction of the force experienced by a positively charged object in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force experienced by a positively charged object in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the object's velocity. This is known as the right-hand rule.

4. How can we determine the direction of the force experienced by a positively charged object in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force can be determined by using the right-hand rule. This involves pointing the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the positive charge's velocity, and curling your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction in which your fingers point is the direction of the force experienced by the positive charge.

5. How can we use magnetism in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in a variety of everyday objects, such as refrigerator magnets, speakers, and computer hard drives. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in power generation for electric motors and generators. Magnetism also plays a role in compasses, which are used for navigation.