Melting of Ice: Temperature, Light & Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ice melting and the factors that influence this process, such as temperature and light. The speaker also expresses interest in learning more about how energy is transferred into the ice from its surroundings. They request any information or resources on this topic.
NanakiXIII
I sincerely apologize for the broad and generic nature of my question, but I hope someone will be able to give me some guidance.

I'm looking to learn more about the melting of ice, more specifically about the influence of a rise in temperature and the influence of light (most likely just visible light) on the process.

I'm also interested to know how energy is conveyed into the ice from its surroundings. I can, of course, guess that it happens from the outside in, but I'm looking for some more details.

If anyone could tell me anything about any of these topics or relating ones, or can link me to a site or tell me of a good book (though the latter is not much preferred, as I don't live in an English-speaking country), I would very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ice melts when it is heated. Ice melts at 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit). Water is made of hydrogen and oxygen. Water is made of 2 gases, hydrogen, and oxygen.

FAQ: Melting of Ice: Temperature, Light & Energy

1. What is the melting point of ice?

The melting point of ice is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Does the temperature affect the melting of ice?

Yes, the temperature plays a crucial role in the melting of ice. As the temperature rises above 0 degrees Celsius, the ice begins to melt and turn into liquid water.

3. How does light affect the melting of ice?

Light can also contribute to the melting of ice. When light from the sun or other sources hits the surface of ice, it can absorb the energy and increase the temperature, causing the ice to melt.

4. Can ice melt without a change in temperature?

Yes, ice can melt without a change in temperature if it is exposed to a source of energy, such as light or heat. This is because the energy is used to break the bonds between the water molecules, causing the ice to melt.

5. What happens to the energy when ice melts?

When ice melts, the energy is used to break the bonds between the water molecules, causing a phase change from solid to liquid. This energy is known as latent heat and is released when the water freezes back into ice.