Moments question help requested, unsure where I went wrong

TheePhysicsStudent
Homework Statement
Hello! I was doing this question from a textbook and I am Unsure why my answer is slightly different to that of the textbook
Relevant Equations
M = Fd
SF1 + SF2 =SFT
1706720889229.png
The Question
1706720910104.png
What I did
1706720956273.png
The Answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the data is given to only 2 significant figures. So, the answers might be rounded to 2 significant figures.

Also, the support forces at each end might be considered as acting in the middle of the 1-meter width rather than at the edge (dashed):

1706724571612.png

TSny said:
Also, the support forces at each end might be considered as acting in the middle of the 1-meter width rather than at the edge (dashed):
The problem states explicitly that the forces are assumed to act where the bridge meets the supports. I’d go with the rounding option.

Likes TSny
Ah, thank you yep, I believe it is an SF error, Thanks again for the help everyone!

Likes TSny
Orodruin said:
The problem states explicitly that the forces are assumed to act where the bridge meets the supports. I’d go with the rounding option.
Yes, I overlooked the comment about the location of the forces. Thanks.

FAQ: Moments question help requested, unsure where I went wrong

What are moments in physics?

Moments in physics refer to the turning effect produced by a force acting on an object at some distance from a pivot point. It is calculated as the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the pivot to the line of action of the force.

How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force is calculated using the formula: Moment = Force × Distance, where the force is measured in newtons (N) and the distance is measured in meters (m). The distance is the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

What could cause an incorrect moment calculation?

Incorrect moment calculations can result from several factors, including using the wrong distance (not perpendicular to the force), incorrect force values, or not considering all forces acting on the object. Ensure all measurements are accurate and correctly oriented.

How do you determine the direction of a moment?

The direction of a moment is determined by the direction of the force and the point of application relative to the pivot. Moments can be clockwise or counterclockwise. Use the right-hand rule: if your right-hand fingers curl in the direction of the force, your thumb points in the direction of the moment.

What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments about a pivot point must equal the sum of the counterclockwise moments about that same point. This principle helps in solving problems involving multiple forces and moments.

Back