Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
Yes, it is Mars, see the link for details.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks (there is written "in representative colour" ...it means nature col. or image is additional coloured?

Hi and lot of succes :)

The moon is quite clear tonight!
IMG_7802.JPG

Likes DennisN
TaurusSteve said:
The moon is quite clear tonight!View attachment 258261

Good effort :smile:
Tell us about the photo. gear used, scope, camera, lens, settings etc ?
That way we can suggest things for you to improve, particularly with the focus :smile:cheers
Dave

davenn said:
Good effort :smile:
Tell us about the photo. gear used, scope, camera, lens, settings etc ?
That way we can suggest things for you to improve, particularly with the focus :smile:cheers
Dave
Cheers.
My settings were: 1/125 sec. f/5.6 300 mm
ISO : 100.
My camera is a Canon EOS 350D.

Likes davenn
Slightly better!
IMG_7827.JPG

Likes DennisN and davenn
TaurusSteve said:
Cheers.
My settings were: 1/125 sec. f/5.6 300 mm
ISO : 100.
My camera is a Canon EOS 350D.

OK :)

some hints
1) hopefully you were using manual focus
2) up the shutter speed at least 1/500th - 1/1000th sec and increase the ISO as needed to
compensate for a slightly dimmer image. A higher shutter speed helps to overcome any
camera motion/vibration etc
3) focussing can be tricky, most of us seasoned nightsky photographers use the rear LCD
viewscreen in live view ( not sure if the 350D had that) and use the magnify ... it really helps
my canons ... 700D, 6D and 5D3 all do
TaurusSteve said:
Slightly better!

much better :smile:

full moon is difficult to image well, it's just so damn bright !
and the details get washed out somewhat. earlier phases ... around first quarter to gibbous are the best for lots of crater detail along the terminator ( day/night line)cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Cheers!

Likes davenn
Hello, I send moon from yesterday, little sharpened and saturated (and sky with some stars.. not sure which ones..) Unfortunately full moon therefore no condition for any object capturing.. :frown:

Hi and lot of succes

Attachments

• CC1.jpeg
    CC1.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 124
  • CC2.jpeg
    CC2.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 125
  • CC3.jpeg
    CC3.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 114
Likes davenn, DennisN and Borg
Hi still two moon images... :smile: :smile:

Attachments

• CC4.jpeg
    CC4.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 119
  • CC5.jpeg
    CC5.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 122
Likes DennisN and davenn
bruha said:
Hi still two moon images... :smile: :smile:

Those are the best two so far :smile:

keep up the good work, concentrate on getting the images sharper and clearerDave

Hi and thanks :smile:

Likes davenn
Hi, I send two images which I obtained when attempting Orion Nebula .. (just for opinion..) I have just small simple compact Sony and Newton 600 x 120 mm with Hyperion 8 mm. :frown:

Attachments

• DSC03044CC.JPG
    DSC03044CC.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC03046CC.JPG
    DSC03046CC.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 107
Likes davenn
bruha said:
Hi, I send two images which I obtained when attempting Orion Nebula

A start, at least there is something recorded :smile:

I am assuming the camera was handheld ?
I am assuming the telescope doesn't track ?

As with a long time ago, I still suggest you purchase a second hand DSLR camera and assoc T-ring adaptor
It's going to improve you astrophotography no end :smile:

Take lens off the camera and the eyepiece out of the telescope and mate the camera, t-ring and scope together
Any decent DSLR as long as you can get a T-ring adapt to suit it

For deep space objects, timed exposures are essential, 30 sec or more. Or a bunch of 30 sec images stacked.
and a ISO setting around 1000 - 3000. Else you will capture very little. And this requires a scope that can track across the sky. It's very different to photographing a big bright moon

Keep experimenting and posting
Ask questions on things you don't understand, it's what we are here for :smile:

cheers
Dave

Hello and thank you for information. Yes I surely understand .. it is obviously question of money. :confused: Have you
not by chance some tips for suitable second hand camera ? ( I have t-ring adapter as one year ago I bought old Nikon body for cca 3500,- Kc (120 eur ) which showed to be suitable just for moon:confused: .
Have nice day :smile:

Hi its my GIMP work (but in fact just saturated and sharpened) of some older images ... :smile:

Attachments

• aCC-min.JPG
    aCC-min.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 102
  • SaturnCD.JPG
    SaturnCD.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Jupiter.jpg
    Jupiter.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Love
Likes DennisN
Argh! So, since our state has closed down a lot of stuff, the night skies are measurably darker- for the past few nights I've gotten excellent viewing of the Rosette nebula, the Leo triplet, M44, and M51.

Except my stacking computer is at work and thus inaccessible. Even worse, new anti-virus software that was installed last month plays havok with apps using disk swap space, meaning that DSS won't run- and it could be weeks before the anti-virus stuff can get uninstalled. I'm considering installing Astro Pixel Processor on my replacement (Mac) laptop and when I am able, retrieving the hard drive with all my astro images and going from there... anybody use that software package?

Likes davenn
Somewhere on the moon. Taken through my 9.25" SCT with an adapted webcam. AVI frames stacked and stuff with Registax 4 (I think). Exposure by slider using a long forgotton (Windows 95 compatible!) program that wasn't all that. Seeing was terrible so I could only use a few hundred frames of so-so quality.

IMG_0070.JPG

The main crater is Copernicus showing the central uplift peaks at sunrise. At 9 o'clock just to left is crater Gay-Lussac showing a tiny central uplift and the Rima that also bears the name Gay-Lussac at the 8 o'clock position relative to Copernicus. The larger crater to the right is Reinhold just showing its central peak.

• Love
Likes Andy Resnick, davenn and DennisN
Moon 1-16-16.jpg

The baby moon through my 80 mm Astrotech ED using an adapter just like the one @davenn mentioned. This was my first DSLR picture that was not afocal. Camera was a Canon 30D so focusing was a bit maddening as it had no LCD viewer. Used a simple tripod without tracking. This is directly out of the camera with whatever noise reduction Canon applies. I believe the exposure was about 1/200". Telescope is about F6. The color fringing at the limb is from atmospheric refraction (I keep telling myself).

• Love
Likes Andy Resnick, davenn and DennisN
chemisttree said:
The baby moon through my 80 mm Astrotech ED using an adapter
A couple of awesome posts. Didn't know you were into astronomy and astrophotography
welcome to the growing list of PF members that are :smile:

You mentioned a 9.25 scope in your first post. I assume a Celestron CPC925 ?

I have had my CPC925 since Jan 2012

camerapiggyback.jpg
cheers
Dave

Likes DennisN
davenn said:
You mentioned a 9.25 scope in your first post. I assume a Celestron CPC925 ?
Yes, of course. During quarantine I’ll go through my archived photos and post a couple. My favorite is the Venus transit through a NOS Carton 60 mm scope that I assembled from parts being sold (~2010) at the time.

Likes davenn
6 am 20th Mar 2020 ... Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Moon and Mercury ...
Canon 6D, ISO1000 , f4, 1 sec exp, fl = 24mm fl.
From Sydney Australia

IMG_1430sm annot.JPG

Likes chemisttree, Tom.G and Andy Resnick
Hello, I send still 3 images processed by GIMP -Jupiter, Satum and Moon .. if some have experience in image processing by GIMP or similar software I will appreciate ... thanks and lot of success :)

Attachments

• 0008C.jpg
    0008C.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 114
  • SaturnCC.JPG
    SaturnCC.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 114
  • 0010C.jpg
    0010C.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 107
  • Love
Likes davenn and chemisttree
bruha said:
Hello, I send still 3 images processed by GIMP -Jupiter, Satum and Moon .. if some have experience in image processing by GIMP or similar software I will appreciate ... thanks and lot of success :)
There are very good! They are all single images? Keep up the good work!

awesome effort :)

Hello, thank you yes its all single images-sharpened, denoised , saturated and highlights/shadow balanced.
(Nowadays I am on the country house carantena and this night should be clear (but for ex. Andromeda galaxy is already to low when getting dark... :confused:

'First Light' using Astro Pixel Processor on images taken post-lockdown of M101, 1700 seconds integration at 400/2.8 ISO 1600:

M101.jpg

Not bad, especially since I am still learning how to use APP. The full field of view (DX format) shows pretty good flat field correction:

Result of M101_1755_s copy.jpg

Lots of NGC objects are visible, although maybe not as this downsampled size.

• Love
Likes chemisttree and davenn
looking good :)

Hello I send two images of yesterday Venus (by Bresser camera on ocular) just sharpened.. M101 images is very impressive-do you know arc size of this galaxy?

Hi and lot of succes...
:smile: :smile: :thumbup:

Attachments

• 0011CCV.jpg
    0011CCV.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 100
  • 0007CV.jpg
    0007CV.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 95
Likes chemisttree and davenn
Here's the 'Leo Triplet', 1 hour integration time @Iso 1250, slightly downsampled:

Leo_Triplet_56m copy.jpg

• Love
Likes chemisttree, Borg, davenn and 1 other person
Andy Resnick said:
Here's the 'Leo Triplet', 1 hour integration time @Iso 1250, slightly downsampled:

View attachment 259406
What telescope/lens is that camera seeing this through?

This one?

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
What telescope/lens is that camera seeing this through?

This one?

Yes, sort of- a 30-year old manual focus version of that lens. It's amazing!

Likes chemisttree
Next, finished processing the Rosette nebula, 78 m integration @ISO1250: cropped and downsampled 33%

Result of rosette-4632s-2.jpg

Still a bit faint, but the color rendering is fantastic.

Likes Borg and davenn
Comet Lovejoy from a few years back
2015-01-14

2015-01-14  C Lovejoy.jpg

Image data

2015-01-14 C Lovejoy image data.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Andy Resnick and Borg
Andy Resnick said:
Next, finished processing the Rosette nebula, 78 m integration @ISO1250: cropped and downsampled 33%

View attachment 259455

Still a bit faint, but the color rendering is fantastic.

Good image, but so faint for 78 minutes. I still can't figure out why your long exp. images are all quite faint.
At that length of exposure time, regardless of if it's a bunch of stacked images or a single image should be blasting off the screen

here's 21.5 minutes made up of 30 sec exposures 44 lights, 9 darks

Rosette 44L9D Sequator-PSsm.jpg

Likes Borg