Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
  • #1,646
Hello, I attch my last attempt of Orion Trapezium with longer and shorter exposition (on this one is possible to discriminate four central stars) , Alnitak with tis bright surrounding and Belelgeuse-SV Ebony 105 eyepiece camera with Skywatcher f 1000, ap.200, Bohmerwald. o_O :smile: :wideeyed:

Lot of succes ...

Attachments

• Trapezium.jpg
    Trapezium.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Trapezium 4.jpg
    Trapezium 4.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Alnitak.jpg
    Alnitak.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 71
  • Betelgeuse.jpg
    Betelgeuse.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 69
Likes collinsmark, Drakkith, Oldman too and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
DennisN said:
Congratulations, very nice!
I'm glad you like it.

Even though I'm applying a spray duster I still have sometimes unpleasant dark spots on the image caused by tiny almost invisible dust particles on the sensor of the Sony. So I have started to learn how to make flat frames, hopefully this will help.

The image below shows Markarian's chain with M87 and some friends, about 60 Million Light Years away. How many civilizations might be existing over there - each isolated in vast space?

Conditions: 154x30" frames unguided, ISO 3200, SQM 21,1
Software: DSS, Siril, LightZone
MarkKette DSS 24.3.22 154x30 Siril ISO3200.TIF_lzn-2.jpg
MarkKette DSS 24.3.22 154x30 Siril (#) ISO3200.TIF_lzn-2 Astrometry.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes davenn, Andy Resnick, collinsmark and 4 others
  • #1,648
Here's the Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237) and Harp Cluster (NGC 2244). Imaged from my back patio in Feb-Mar of 2022. The Rosette Nebula, NGC 2237, is about 5,200 ly away from Earth, and about 130 ly across. It can be seen (from Earth) in the constellation Monoceros, the unicorn.

RosetteHarp2022_Final_smallForPF.jpg

At the center of the nebula lies the Harp Cluster (also called the Satellite Cluster), NGC 2244. It has that same appearance of that split second when my head hits the floor or table due to drinking a few too many pints of Guinness. Below is a zoomed in crop showing some of the central detail.

RosetteHarp2022_Final_DetailCropForPF.jpg

Equipment:
Explore Scientific ED80-FCD100 piggybacked on an LX200-GPS mount on an equatorial wedge.
Orion Field Flattener for Small Refractors.
Baader 3.5-4 nm Ultra-Narrowband filter set.
ZWO ASI6200MM-Pro camera.

Software:
Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy (N.I.N.A.)
PixInsight
Topaz Labs Denoise AI

Integration:
Bortle Class 7 (maybe 8) skies
Colors mapping: SHO (Hubble) palette.
SII: 52×600s = 8.67 hours
Hα: 46×600s = 7.67 hours
Oiii: 55×600s = 9.17 hours
Total integration time: 25.5 hours

• Love
Likes phinds, davenn, DennisN and 7 others
  • #1,649
Since it's been cloudy for a month, I've had the chance to re-visit some sessions imaging Cynus @105mm last summer that I had problems stacking, here's the result:

105mm_cygnus-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-St copy.jpg

It's a panorama composed of 10-ish different nights using my 105/1.4 lens, this image is downscaled to 7% of the original size (11.3k x 8.3k pixels). Even at this extreme downscaling, a lot of features are clearly visible. To give you an idea of what this image actually looks like, visible above the veil nebula (NGC 6992/NGC 6960) is the open cluster NGC 6940 below at 1:1

105mm_cygnus-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-St 2 copy.jpg

And an intriguing dust cloud near NGC 6874 (also 1:1), visible near the center of the full image:

105mm_cygnus-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-St3 copy.jpg

Attachments

• 105mm_cygnus-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-St copy.jpg
    105mm_cygnus-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-St copy.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 57
Likes DennisN, timmdeeg, Drakkith and 3 others
  • #1,650
The Sunflower Galaxy, M63 (also called NGC 5055), in the constellation Canes Venatici, imaged from my back patio in March-April 2022. The galaxy is 29 million light-years away and contains approximately 400 billion stars.

The national flower of Ukraine is the sunflower. The sunflower is progressively becoming a symbol of resistance against Vladimir Putin's unprovoked, unjustified, and increasingly brutal invasion of Ukraine.

Sunflower2022_FinalSmallForPF.jpg

Here's a zoomed in crop showing more detail within the galaxy:
Sunflower2022_FinalCropForPF.jpg

Equipment:
Meade 10" LX200-ACF on an equatorial wedge
ZWO RGB filter set
Baader 3.5 nm ultra-narrowband Hα filter.
Optolong L-Pro filter
ZWO ASI6200MM-Pro camera

Software:
PixInsight
Topaz Labs Denoise AI
Topaz Labs Sharpen AI

Integration:
Bortal class 7 (maybe 8) skies
All subframes binned 3×3
R: 52×300s = 4.33 hours
G: 92×300s = 7.67 hours
B: 49×300s = 4.08 hours
Hα: 30×600s = 5.00 hours
L-Pro: 90×300s = 7.50 hours
Total integration time: 28.58 hours

Normally I try to inject some light humor into these astrophoto descriptions, but not this time. Not today.

Last edited:
Likes phinds, timmdeeg, bruha and 5 others
  • #1,651
collinsmark said:
The Sunflower Galaxy, M63 (also called NGC 5055), in the constellation Canes Venatici, imaged from my back patio in March-April 2022.
Beautiful! Not only is it a stunning image, but it's also cool that you get sort of a "3D feel" when you look at it. Very nice! :smile:

Likes Oldman too and collinsmark
  • #1,652
NGC 2403 (also designated as C7) in the constellation Camelopardalis, imaged from my back patio during March-April 2022. The intermediate spiral galaxy is somewhere around 8 to 10 million light-years away from Earth.

NGC2403_2022_Final_SmallForPF.jpg

NGC 2403 (shown here) has many similarities to M33, the Triangulum galaxy (not shown here), but that's a totally different galaxy.

What I find intriguing about NGC 2403 is that it doesn't have a common name. Granted, it's not unusual for galaxies not to have common names; most of them don't. Only a few dozen galaxies have common names (out of "billions and billions") and they're all relatively close to Earth (i.e., close to the Milky Way galaxy). But NGC 2403 is closer to Earth than many other galaxies that do have names, and also has a larger angular size (as seen from Earth) than many. So for a galaxy this close to Earth, and this large of angular size, it is a bit unusual for it not to have a name.

Here's a zoomed in crop showing a little more detail around NGC 2403's center:
NGC2403_2022_Final_CenterCropForPF.jpg

So my first thought was that maybe NGC 2403 should have a name. Maybe "Sally" or "Charles" might be good. But then, after thinking about it for awhile, I have a different take...

Equipment:
Meade 10" LX200-ACF on an equatorial wedge.
ZWO RGB filter set.
Optolong L-Pro filter.
Baader 3.5 nm Hα filter.
Main camera: ZWO ASI6200MM-Pro.
Guide camera: ZWO ASI174MM-Mini w/off-axis guider (OAG).

Software:
PHD2 guiding (goes without saying)
PixInsight
Topaz Labs Denoise AI
Topaz Labs Sharpen AI

Integration:
Bortle class 7 (maybe 8) skies
All subframes binned 3×3
R: 66×300s = 5.5 hours
G: 83×300s = 6.92 hours
B: 48×300s = 4.00 hours
L-Pro: 100×300s = 8.33 hours
Hα: 25×600s = 4.17 hours
Total Integration Time: 28.92 hours

I've concluded that NGC 2403 doesn't need a common name, and probably wouldn't want a common name, if galaxies could want names. No, NGC 2403 is a goth galaxy. It's quirky, unconventional, intriguing, a bit odd, maybe even a little spooky, and yet it revels in the darkness and obscurity. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. That's my kind of galaxy. Yeah, NGC 2403 will get on just fine.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Likes davenn, pinball1970, Drakkith and 3 others
  • #1,653
collinsmark said:
No, NGC 2403 is a goth galaxy.
That would be a cool name, The Goth Galaxy. :)
When I first saw your image I came to think of "Polka Dot Galaxy", but "Goth Galaxy" sounds cooler.
I tried briefly to look on the net if there was a way to suggest names to the NGC, but I couldn't find any info.

Likes Oldman too and collinsmark
  • #1,654
collinsmark said:
[have a name. Maybe "Sally" or "Charles"]
When I read that, I'm thinking, why not "Bob and Alice"but got distracted by the images again and...

Anyway, I thought I'd post something but I don't have the gear or knowledge to put together anything like you guys are doing here. Very cool stuff. I decided to go with my old standby, APOD, found what I considered to be "Very cool stuff" so here's it is.
From: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200409.html Flow of time

Flow_of_time_APOD1024.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, berkeman, DennisN and 2 others
  • #1,655
Oldman too said:
Anyway, I thought I'd post something but I don't have the gear or knowledge to put together anything like you guys are doing here.
No problem! This thread actually started more like a general thread for astronomy photos and videos (I started it once upon at time), but the last couple of years there have been more photos done by PF members themselves, which is very cool.

But, by all means, go ahead and post astronomy photos or videos you like, I don't think anyone of us would mind that. I certainly wouldn't. I like such things regardless of from where it comes, and it can also be inspiring and give ideas of possible things to do. :smile:
Oldman too said:
APOD
A very nice site, one of my favorites! :smile:

Likes Oldman too
  • #1,656
Perseverance Mars rover used its Mastcam-Z camera system to shoot video of Phobos, one of Mars’ two moons, eclipsing the Sun. It’s the most zoomed-in, highest frame-rate observation of a Phobos solar eclipse ever taken from the Martian surface.

• Wow
  • Love
Likes TSny, pinball1970, ondrejbruha and 4 others
  • #1,657
Oldman too said:
Perseverance Mars rover used its Mastcam-Z camera system to shoot video of Phobos, one of Mars’ two moons, eclipsing the Sun. It’s the most zoomed-in, highest frame-rate observation of a Phobos solar eclipse ever taken from the Martian surface.
Marvellous clip! Something I've never seen before.

Likes Oldman too
  • #1,658
@Andy Resnick , you shoot with Nikon and you like to travel light, if I remember correctly?

I saw and ad for a Nikon lens on facebook today: :smile:

She looks like she's waiting to blow up a tank with this gear:
Girl and lens 1 (NIKKOR Z 800mm f6.3 VR S).jpg

...or maybe it's an anti-aircraft missile launcher?
Girl and lens 2 (NIKKOR Z 800mm f6.3 VR S).jpg

It's the NIKKOR Z 800mm f6.3 VR S, so maybe it's not suitable for deep sky objects.
But maybe for some planets and the Moon.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,659
DennisN said:
@Andy Resnick , you shoot with Nikon and you like to travel light, if I remember correctly?
Interesting! That lens has a Fresnel element to reduce the weight, which is why the model can hand-hold the thing. Fortunately, I'm perfectly happy with my 40-year old 400/2.8 and don't need to mortgage my house :)

I would be interested in seeing some astrophotography using a lens containing a diffractive element, tho...

Likes davenn and DennisN
  • #1,660
Andy Resnick said:
Fortunately, I'm perfectly happy with my 40-year old 400/2.8...
That's nice. And if I understand correctly such fast vintage lenses can still cost quite a bit. I would be interested in something with similar specifications, but I haven't looked around for such lenses much on internet auction sites yet. But sometimes I see a fast tele when I'm browsing vintage lenses (ca f/2 - f/3), and they usually cost quite a bit.

Andy Resnick said:
...and don't need to mortgage my house :)
I know what you mean. New high-end fast tele lenses come with price tags that can give heart attacks when you see them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes davenn and Oldman too
  • #1,661
DennisN said:
That's nice. And if I understand correctly such fast vintage lenses can still cost quite a bit. I would be interested in something with similar specifications, but I haven't looked around for such lenses much on internet auction sites yet. But sometimes I see a fast tele when I'm browing vintage lenses (ca f/2 - f/3), and they usually cost quite a bit.

It was a splurge, for sure- even at 10% the cost of a new one. But it's also nice not to wish I had gotten a better lens in the first place.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,662
I'm reading this thread now sitting on the bus. I'm going to a new place a bit outside of the city. I hope it will be a bit better (Bortle 5 IIRC). The sky is crystal clear at the moment. :)

I'm going to see if I can get at least some of the Milky Way with my fast wide-angle lens. I'll also try some objects I quickly checked out in Stellarium.

Regretfully this was not the right time for Andromeda, Orion nor the Pleiades, which I've initially thought of trying to start with.

I hope I'll catch some stuff tonight, and if so, I'll post later in the thread.

Likes davenn, collinsmark, Drakkith and 1 other person
  • #1,663
DennisN said:
Marvellous clip! Something I've never seen before.
My thoughts exactly, wonder how often the chance to shoot that comes along at Perseverance's location?

Hubble's Happy 32 birthday image.
hubble_32nd_hickson40.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Maarten Havinga and 2 others
  • #1,664
Saturday was one of the rare moonless clear weekend nights, and I didn't want to waste a moment of it. This time of year, I am able to view 4 photogenic galaxies. Because the weather has generally been so spotty, I chose to spend a little time on each rather than choose 1 or 2. All images taken @ 800mm:

M63 (sunflower galaxy):
M63-St-10661s copy.jpg

In total, I have about 2.5 hours viewing time on M63.

Then M51 (Whirlpool galaxy)

M51-St-29116s copy.jpg

This one, with a total of 8 hours, is almost print-worthy. The bright stars have very clear and clean 18-point starburst patterns (from the 9-bladed iris).

Then M101 (Pinwheel galaxy):

M101-St-18070s copy.jpg

I have accumulated 5 hours imaging this region so far and look forward to when this one is ready to print.

And finally, M104 (Sombrero galaxy):

M104-St-1248s copy.jpg

M104 is a new one for me, this image only has 20 minutes view time.

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, Borg and 3 others
  • #1,665
Andy Resnick said:
All images taken @ 800mm
Are you shooting with your 400mm lens and a 2x teleconverter?
(and if so, which teleconverter (model) are you using, I wonder?)

• #1,666
DennisN said:
Are you shooting with your 400mm lens and a 2x teleconverter?
(and if so, which teleconverter (model) are you using, I wonder?)

Yes- when I shoot @800mm, it's my 400mm with a 2X tele (model # TC-301). Works great!

• Informative
Likes DennisN
  • #1,669
I did not know there is going to be a lunar eclipse soon (16 May 2022).

On Wikipedia: May 2022 lunar eclipse
"The eclipse will be completely visible over most of North and South America, seen rising over Northwest North America, and the Pacific Ocean, and setting over Africa and Europe."

It will only be partial here. My gear is ready for it, but will the sky be? We'll see. Or not. :smile:

FYI: @collinsmark , @Andy Resnick , @davenn , @bruha, @Drakkith , @chemisttree, @Devin-M , @timmdeeg and others.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Drakkith, Oldman too, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #1,670
DennisN said:

On Wikipedia: May 2022 lunar eclipse
"The eclipse will be completely visible over most of North and South America, seen rising over Northwest North America, and the Pacific Ocean, and setting over Africa and Europe."

It will only be partial here. My gear is ready for it, but will the sky be? We'll see. Or not. :smile:

FYI: @collinsmark , @Andy Resnick , @davenn , @bruha, @Drakkith , @chemisttree, @Devin-M , @timmdeeg and others.
Sadly not visible in Australia

• Sad
Likes Oldman too, DennisN and pinball1970
  • #1,671
davenn said:
Sadly not visible in Australia
Europe? Specifically UK? Edit: Yes Europe and Africa get some.

• #1,673
A perfectly good zoom of the Crab Nebula, ruined by an asteroid.
Asteroid passing in front of Crab nebula 2.PNG

• Wow
Likes DennisN, Bystander, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #1,674
DennisN said:

DennisN said:
It will only be partial here. My gear is ready for it, but will the sky be? We'll see. Or not.
The sky is perfect, the Moon is beautiful, my gear is ready, there's very little wind and pretty nice temperature outside (nice for me, that is), and there will be a partial lunar eclipse in less than 6 hours. I'm feeling very excited! :smile:

Edit: Hmm, I checked with Stellarium and this picture, and it seems that here in Sweden it will be partial at moonset, so I have to find a better location than where I'm at if I want to see it.

Visibility_Lunar_Eclipse_2022-05-15.png

Last edited:
Likes davenn, pinball1970, Drakkith and 1 other person
  • #1,675
I've had 2 hours of sleep, I'm in bed with covid, and the sky is overcast with possible showers later. Don't think I'm going to see the eclipse.

• Sad
Likes chemisttree, timmdeeg, davenn and 1 other person
  • #1,676
Drakkith said:
I've had 2 hours of sleep, I'm in bed with covid, and the sky is overcast with possible showers later. Don't think I'm going to see the eclipse.
Stepped outside when I got up to eat some soup and saw the rising moon through some wispy clouds. Might catch some of the eclipse after all.

Likes DennisN, Oldman too and collinsmark
  • #1,677
I went down to the waterfront, and the sky treated me nicely :smile:.
Here are two photos in the meantime (I've got some stacking to do for the Moon itself):

My view from a pier, waiting for the moonset:
(the pylons of Öresund Bridge can be seen to the right, and the pylons themselves are lit up in blue and yellow, honoring the flag of Ukraine)

52077400625_0ea2106d7c_k.jpg

A red moon setting during the partial lunar eclipse (and partly covered by clouds):

52077145299_ef1a2794ab_k.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes chemisttree, collinsmark, timmdeeg and 4 others
  • #1,678
We had perfectly clear skies all week... except for one evening: 5/15, the date of the lunar eclipse. Here's the best shot I took before the clouds rolled in:
DSC_9368 copy.jpg

But then we had heavy cloud cover- really heavy cloud cover. The best I could manage near totality before giving up and going to bed:

DSC_9395 copy.jpg

But... since the rest of the week was clear, I have good images of M101 and surroundings- a total of 11.2 hours, 800/8 ISO 200, 10s subs:

M101-St-40490s copy.jpg

And now M13 is rising. Historically, this object has served as an annual performance exam for me, since the image consists entirely of point spread functions:

M13-St-7032s copy_2.jpg

2 hours total exposure, 800/8, DX format, ISO 64, 8s subs. I'm finally getting the hang of this one, after (ahem...) about 6 years of attempts. Even at 400%, the image is still acceptable:

M13-St-7032s.tiff (RGB)-1.jpg

Good color rendition, good acutance (contrast). And the bright stars have those cool sunstar effects:

M13-St-7032s.tiff (RGB)-12jpg.jpg

Attachments

• M101-St-40490s copy_2.jpg
    M101-St-40490s copy_2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes hutchphd, DennisN, Oldman too and 4 others
  • #1,679
89566C72-080E-4A30-ADBC-B3AD91CDCCC7.jpeg

From 390 feet AGL just before totality. Taken from a DJI Mavic Air II.

• Love
Likes Oldman too, DennisN, davenn and 2 others
  • #1,680
chemisttree said:
DJI Mavic Air II
Very cool, and a cool photo! I've got a friend who has got a very nice Mavic drone with great camera (quite expensive). He's done some amazing filming with it. He can also pilot real aircraft, so I was not surprised :smile:. I've been thinking about getting a drone myself for some time, and maybe one day I will.