Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
  • #2,241
pinball1970 said:
Its green!
Is that real or some atmospheric/ camera effect?

I'm going to venture a guess here without knowing the full story:

I'm guessing the video/images were taken with the Nikon's white balance set to "Auto." But since the camera was just pointing up at the darkness, for the most part, it's just white-balance metering on the noise. Perhaps since there are fewer red and blue pixels, compared to green, in the Bayer matrix, it means there is more noise (as in SNR) in the red and blue channels, resulting in the greenish hue, after the camera's automatic white-balance adjustment.

If my guess is right, the problem could have been alleviated somewhat by setting the white balance to "Daylight." But even then, Saturn would appear a bit yellow due to typical atmospheric scattering (same reason our Sun looks yellow).

Getting the color right invariably takes some adjustments in post processing no matter what you do.

[Edit: it's still a fine image and I appreciate it regardless of the color nuances.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
Milky Way

Date: 09.16.2023
Camera: Sony A7III with Clip Filter
Lens 1.8 / 14 GM - focal length 14 mm

Frames: 15x25s - ISO 800

Software: Siril - Graxpert - LightZone

1724316035280.jpeg