Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
  • #2,241
pinball1970 said:
Its green!
Is that real or some atmospheric/ camera effect?

I'm going to venture a guess here without knowing the full story:

I'm guessing the video/images were taken with the Nikon's white balance set to "Auto." But since the camera was just pointing up at the darkness, for the most part, it's just white-balance metering on the noise. Perhaps since there are fewer red and blue pixels, compared to green, in the Bayer matrix, it means there is more noise (as in SNR) in the red and blue channels, resulting in the greenish hue, after the camera's automatic white-balance adjustment.

If my guess is right, the problem could have been alleviated somewhat by setting the white balance to "Daylight." But even then, Saturn would appear a bit yellow due to typical atmospheric scattering (same reason our Sun looks yellow).

Getting the color right invariably takes some adjustments in post processing no matter what you do.

[Edit: it's still a fine image and I appreciate it regardless of the color nuances.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Stavros Kiri and pinball1970
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
Milky Way

Date: 09.16.2023
Camera: Sony A7III with Clip Filter
Lens 1.8 / 14 GM - focal length 14 mm

Frames: 15x25s - ISO 800

Software: Siril - Graxpert - LightZone

1724316035280.jpeg

Milchstraße mit kleiner Magellanscher Wolke - einige Objekte bezeichnet

• Love
Likes davenn, DennisN, Stavros Kiri and 3 others
  • #2,243
The Lagoon Nebula (a.k.a., M8, NGC 6523) from my back patio, imaged from April-July, 2024.

Lagoon2024_Final_SmallForPF.jpg

M8 is about 4000-6000 light-years away from Earth. It is fairly large (angular wise) and bright, comparatively, but you'll need a telescope or binoculars to see it. You can find it in the constellation Sagittarius.

Equipment:
Explore Scientific 80ED-FCD100
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro
Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors
Off-axis guider (OAG) with guide camera
Baader 3.5/4nm Ultra-Narrowband filter set
ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro main camera

It reminds me of Gilligan's Island.

Software:
N.I.N.A.
PHD2 guiding
PixInsight with RC-Astro plugins

It's bigger than the lagoon on Gilligan's Island, of course.

Acquisition/Integration:
Bortle class 7 (maybe 8 ) skies
All subframes binned 1x1
Stacked using the drizzle algorithm
SHO mapping
SII: 72×480s = 9.60 hrs
Hα: 77×480s = 10.27 hrs
Oiii: 81×480s = 10.80 hrs
Total integration time: 30.67 hours.

• Love
Likes davenn, DennisN, Stavros Kiri and 4 others
  • #2,244
pinball1970 said:
Its green!
Is that real or some atmospheric/ camera effect?
If you say so- I can't tell :)

Normally I use APP to auto- color correct (via star colors), but I skipped that step here and don't trust myself to do it manually. Honestly, I had no idea!

Likes pinball1970
  • #2,245
collinsmark said:
I'm going to venture a guess here without knowing the full story:

I'm guessing the video/images were taken with the Nikon's white balance set to "Auto." But since the camera was just pointing up at the darkness, for the most part, it's just white-balance metering on the noise. Perhaps since there are fewer red and blue pixels, compared to green, in the Bayer matrix, it means there is more noise (as in SNR) in the red and blue channels, resulting in the greenish hue, after the camera's automatic white-balance adjustment.

If my guess is right, the problem could have been alleviated somewhat by setting the white balance to "Daylight." But even then, Saturn would appear a bit yellow due to typical atmospheric scattering (same reason our Sun looks yellow).

Getting the color right invariably takes some adjustments in post processing no matter what you do.

[Edit: it's still a fine image and I appreciate it regardless of the color nuances.]
I set the camera WB to 'direct sunlight' b/c 'auto WB' would likely drift as the sky darkens and streetlights turn on, assuming it works at all under low light conditions.

But yeah- color correction is tricky, especially since I don't trust my eyes. :)

Edit: actually, upon reflection, I think the problem was focus error. Longitudinal chromatic aberration (sometimes called 'purple fringing') is the likely culprit for the green tint.

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri and collinsmark
  • #2,246
Heh- no sooner had I completed an analysis of my imaging system when I enjoyed 10 clear nights over 2 weeks, a rarity. Using my conclusions, I put together a 2 x 3 panorama centered on the North America Nebula:

NAN-112044s small.jpeg

(obviously this is downscaled, the original is 11k x 9.7k pixels).

This only took 2 weeks! Had I been using my (now prior) settings, this would have taken 2 *years* to put together. Really happy I can make out IC 5068. Deneb is the super-bright star.

Nikon D810 + Nikkor 400/2.8 @ f/4. 13s subs ISO 200. Losmandy GM-8 mount, all stacking and post-processing done in APP.

• Love
Likes DennisN, Stavros Kiri, jim mcnamara and 5 others
  • #2,247
This entire past week was clear skies- unheard of! Stephan's quintet is in a good viewing location, so I had another chance to check my model predictions, this time at 800mm focal length.

Here's the whole field of view:

Stephans_quintet-St-33476s.jpg

(Nikon D810+ Nikkor 800/5.6 @ f/8, Losmandy GM-8 mount, 8s subs, ISO 200, 9.3 hours integration time, stacking in APP)

The smudge is NGC 7331. Stephan's quintet is in the center, barely resolvable at this focal length, shown here at 250%:

Untitled.jpg

Serious imaging of this object requires significantly longer focal lengths than I have access to. But in terms of brightness, my model predicted the results pretty well- the model predicts that I am barely able to detect magnitude 18 stars. Zooming into the group of stars in the lower left:

Untitled-2.jpg

According to the SIMBAD catalog, the brightest star on the left is (apparent) magnitude 13.0 and the nearby second-brightest is magnitude 15.2. Comparing the brightness values in the image, I extrapolate the third bright star (upper right) as magnitude 17, and the three faint dots decorating the brighter stars are extrapolated to about magnitude 18.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,248
The Trifid Nebula (a.k.a. M20, NGC 6514) captured from my back patio, April-July 2024. M20 is approximately 4100 light-years away and can be found (looking from Earth) in the constellation Sagittarius. It's a comparatively bright emission nebula. Its declination is -23 degrees, making it a fairly easy target if you live in the Southern hemisphere. Although if you live in the Northern hemisphere (like me), it's still visible so long as a you have a good view to the South (although you may need binoculars or a telescope).

Trifid2024_Final_SmallForPF.jpg

If you notice any diffraction spikes in my image, they're not from spider vanes in my telescope, but rather from the corner of my storage shed that the Trifid Nebula drifted behind each night.

This image is "first light" for the Antila SII (sulphur-II) and Oiii (oxygen-III) filters that I installed several months ago.

Equipment:
Celestron C14 EdgeHD telescope
SkyWatcher EQ8-R Pro mount
Celestron 0.7x Focal reducer (for C14 EdgeHD)
Antlia 3nm Narrowband (SII, Hα, Oiii) filter set
ZWO ASI6200MM-Pro Main Camera

Software:
N.I.N.A.
PHD2 Guiding
PixInsight with RC-Astro Plugins

Acquisition/Integration:
Bortle Class 7 (maybe 8 ) skies
All subframes binned 2×2
Stacked using drizzle algorithm
SHO mapping
SII: 83×600 sec = 13.83 hrs
Hα: 82×600 sec = 13.67 hrs
Oiii: 88×600 sec = 14.67 hrs
Total integration time: 42.17 hours

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes davenn, DennisN, Andy Resnick and 3 others
  • #2,250
Hello, I attach Saturn, Jupiter and Sunspots (with green filter-unfortunately I have defected lens of mobile camera:H:confused:) Saturn was in opposition last weekend and rings plane was directed to earth as seen...}..:wideeyed:
(little Gimp corrected)
Lot of succes.....👍:smile::smile:

Attachments

• Saturn7B.JPG
    Saturn7B.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Jupiter 2U.JPG
    Jupiter 2U.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SunGreen2U.JPG
    SunGreen2U.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
Likes Stavros Kiri, collinsmark and Andy Resnick
  • #2,251
SH2-125, "Cocoon Nebula", IC 5146, Caldwell 19, Barnard 168... lots of names for the same object:

Sh2-125-crop-lpc-cbg-St-35142s-1.jpg

Nikon D810 + Nikkor 400/2.8 @ f/4, Losmandy GM8 mount. 10s subs, 10 hours total integration, image stacking with APP. A 1:1 crop:

Clipboard.jpg

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, Stavros Kiri and 2 others
  • #2,252
Hello, here is my Saturn image with better resolution.. :wideeyed: :smile:

Saturn opposition.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DennisN, davenn, Astronuc and 2 others
  • #2,253
Upcoming event - Watch a partial lunar eclipse during Tuesday’s Super Moon (Harvest Moon) and Saturn.
https://www.astronomy.com/observing/how-to-watch-a-partial-lunar-eclipse-during-tuesdays-super-moon/
Additionally, if you’re up early and ready to pregame on Tuesday morning, the Moon passes in front of the planet Saturn in the pre-dawn sky for those in the western half of the U.S. (including Hawaii) and Canada. All other observers will still see the two objects hanging close together in the early-morning twilight.

• Informative
Likes DennisN, Stavros Kiri, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #2,254
SH 2-92 (LBN 145) imaged from my back patio, June-August 2024. SH 2-92 is an emission nebula that can be found (as seen from Earth) in the constellation Vulpecula, near the border of Cygnus. It's an HII region ionized by the Wolf-Rayet star, WR 127.

SH2_92_2024_Final_SmallForPF.jpg

While it's not an extremely challenging/dim nebula, it's not particularly bright either. I wouldn't bother trying to observe this target visually, even with a telescope or binoculars.

It's also right up against one of the arms of our Milky Way galaxy, so there's a plethora of background stars, all around. What at first appears to be noise is really just stars and stars galore. I did my best in post processing to implement some star reduction techniques to enhance the nebulosity.

To me, SH 2-92 looks like a phoenix or maybe a depiction of a winged person you might find on a trophy top.

Others have affectionately named it "The Scream" based on the famous painting by Edvard Munch (this hasn't totally caught on yet). I suppose that works too. To see the similarity, imagine the dust lane in the lower-right is the person's mouth, and then mentally picture the hands to the sides of a face.

Equipment:
Explore Scientific 80ED-FCD100
Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro
Orion Field Flattener for Short Refractors
Baader 3.5/4nm Ultra-Narrowband filter set
ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro main camera

Software:
N.I.N.A.
PHD2 guiding
PixInsight with RC-Astro plugins

Acquisition/Integration:
Bortle class 7 (maybe 8 ) skies
All subframes binned 1x1
Stacked using the drizzle algorithm
SHO mapping
SII: 102×480s = 13.60 hrs
Hα: 81×480s = 10.80 hrs
Oiii: 93×480s = 12.40 hrs
Total integration time: 36.80 hours.

• Love
Likes davenn, DennisN, Stavros Kiri and 5 others
  • #2,255
NGC 188, imaged over 2 nights (total integration time 4 hours):

NGC_188-St-14440s copy.jpg

Deets: Nikon D810 + Nikkor 800/5.6 (shot @ f/8), Losmandy GM-8 mount, stacking in APP.

NGC 188 is abnormally old.

NGC 188 is very close to Polaris so tracking errors are minimized- I was able to keep 90% of the 20s subs resulting in an efficiency rating of 75%, which is great. I didn't perform any alignment procedures (other than visually sighting Polaris/2nd star), so I probably could have shot 30s subs with some alignment corrections.

Likes DennisN, bruha and collinsmark
  • #2,256
Hi,
here is Venus by Sunset (Kefalonia Island september) :smile: :wink:

IMG_2290U.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Stavros Kiri and 2 others
  • #2,257
Some Aurora in the North West of the UK

c/o astranut

1728656173710.png

1728656209893.png

and my work colleague Katie

1728656267890.png

• Love
Likes davenn, Astranut, DennisN and 2 others
  • #2,258
Saturn and several of its moons last Thursday night.
To the left is Dione.
The bright one to the upper right is Titan.
Below Titan is Tethys.
Mimas and Hyperion are also in the picture but are too dim to make out.

Saturn_2024_10_11_0618_3_Final_ForPF.jpg

'Not my best image of Saturn; I had issues.

I won't complain about San Diego's entire month of night-haze/fog, since it's trivial compared to the devastation in other parts of the country here. But it did keep me from getting an image closer to Saturn's opposition in September.

This is my first planetary image with the new telescope setup. There's still a few kinks that need to be worked out. I did not use the atmospheric dispersion corrector (ADC), nor a barlow/Powermate for this one. I need to make a few tweaks to the mount's control interface before I attempt that. I'm still learning/experimenting.

Equipment:
Celestron C14 EdgeHD telescope
SkyWatcher EQ8-R Pro mount
ZWO ASI585MC camera

Software:
FireCapture
AutoStakkert! 4
PixInsight
WinJUPOS

Acquisition/Processing:
Atmospheric Seeing: Slightly on the sad side of "meh."
Midpoint timestamp: 2024-10-11 06:18.3 UTC.
Several hours worth of 1-minute videos were captured with FireCapture.
Nine contiguous 1-minute videos were selected.
Each video processed with AutoStakkert!
Each of the 9 images sharpened and processed in PixInsight.
Each of the sharpened images derotated and combined in WinJUPOS.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes davenn, DennisN, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
  • #2,259
Saturn seems rather oblate. Optical illusion from the rings or are the poles dark in this picture.

Clearly Saturn needs more moons too!

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,260
Has anyone seen Comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS? I think I saw it tonight. This was about 8 pm. Note the smudge above the sign on the fence. Venus is at far left, and Arcturus is at top right. There was some light haze near the horizon. I'll try again in another day or two, when I might get a clearer view.

IMG_0694.jpeg

Likes davenn, collinsmark, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #2,261
A clear moonless week of nights, so I continued to image Sh2-125 (Cocoon Nebula):

Sh2-125-St-72002s-1.jpg

Nikon D810 + Nikkor 400/2.8 @ f/4 mounted on Losmandy GM-8. 10s subs, 20 h total integration time. A 1:1 crop:

Untitled.jpg

Likes davenn, Tom.G, Bystander and 1 other person
  • #2,262
Quick stack and edit of comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) shot using a simple tripod from earlier tonight (CET). 11 individual 6s exposures with 70 mm focal length (Canon 70-200mm F4L @ F/5.6 and a Canon 5D mk III @ ISO 6400). Note the faint anti-tail and globular cluster Messier 5 (fuzzy spot just left of 12 O'clock from the comet nucleus)

Not sure why some bright stars are square, must be a DSS stacking artifact, haven't used it in a while. Weather looks good tomorrow as well, will go back with a wider lens.

The comet was pretty nice naked eye and gorgeous in 7x50 mm binos.
C2023 A3 (quick stack and edit).jpg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark