Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible

In summary, a 18-kg child sliding on an icy surface towards her 62-kg mother, who is moving towards her at 2.0 m/s, is asked for the percentage of original kinetic energy that is convertible in the inelastic collision. Using the equations for kinetic energy and coefficient of restitution, the relative velocity between the two is found to be 2.225 m/s. The percentage of original kinetic energy that is not recoverable in this collision is 16.8%.
Sunbodi

Homework Statement

A 18-kg child is sliding on an icy surface toward her mother at 3.0 m/s. Her 62-kg mother starts toward her at 2.0 m/s, intending to catch her.

Homework Equations

KEi= (1/2) (m1)(v1)^2 + (1/2) (m2)(v2)^2
KEconv= (1/2)μ(v12)^2
μ= (m1m2)/(m1+m2)
v12= |v2 - v1 |

The Attempt at a Solution

KEi= 205 kJ
μ= 13.95 kg
v12 = 1 m/s
KEconv= 6.975

6.975/205= .034
Percent would be 3.4%, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement appears incomplete, there's no question.

Sunbodi said:
v12 = 1 m/s
Is this supposed to be their relative velocity?
Sunbodi said:
toward her mother

billy_joule said:
The problem statement appears incomplete, there's no question.
@Sunbodi has used the sadly common approach of putting the question into the thread title and the details in the body of the first post. This is, of course, improper. The body of the message should contain everything the reader need to understand it. This applies in Physics Forums just as in all other forms of communication.

In this case we are asked for the "Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible".

The KE that is not recoverable in the collision would be the KE corresponding to the combined mass of the mother and child moving at the velocity of their combined center of mass. It is not recoverable because conservation of momentum requires this motion to remain. The least KE the system can have (barring external forces) is with mother and daughter both motionless in their combined center-of-mass frame.

@jbriggs444 Thank you. It was a very stupid mistake of me to not add the question in the body of the message. It's my first thread and I created this account because of this stupid class that I'm in and this stupid stupid online site we're using to log our answers.

haruspex said:
Is this supposed to be their relative velocity?
That's what I meant however because it's an inelastic collision I also attempted to find their combined velocity using the conservation of momentum equation. That velocity would end up being: 2.225 m/s. The final answer in that would end up being .168 and the percent would be 16.8%. I typed in .168 earlier and it didn't have a notification that I had a significant figure error so I'm a bit afraid of typing in 16.8 as I only have 3 attempts remaining.

I've solved the problem, it isn't 16.8% or 3.4% as those numbers are way too low and they'd make no sense at all. I made an error in calculating the relative velocity, if you need the actual solution and how I got there feel free to imbox me. Thanks to all of you kind souls who helped me solve this problem.

Related to Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible

What is the definition of "Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible"?

The Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible refers to the amount of initial kinetic energy that can be converted into a different form of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy.

How is the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible calculated?

The Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible is calculated by dividing the energy that is converted into a different form by the initial kinetic energy, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What factors affect the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible?

The Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible can be affected by various factors, such as the type of object or material involved, the speed at which the object is moving, and the presence of external forces or friction.

Why is it important to know the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible?

Knowing the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible can help us understand the efficiency of energy conversions and how much energy is lost in the process. This information is crucial in designing and improving energy systems and technologies.

Can the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible be greater than 100%?

No, the Percentage of Original KE that is Convertible cannot be greater than 100%. This would violate the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.