Physicists and physics majors, was it worth it?

In summary: I enjoy the work, but I would not recommend pursuing a physics degree if you want a job in academia.In summary, most people who pursue a physics degree end up enjoying their job and major. However, if you want a job in academia, it is not worth the heavy debt that comes with it.
I don't mean my personality, but absolutely nowhere

Physics news on Phys.org
Zap said:
I don't mean my personality, but absolutely nowhere

Then you have nothing to base on to claim that you, as a person, has more to offer to employers than your "dumb degree".

Zz.

Of course I do. I am aware that I’m not a very charasmatic person, and my personality is most of the time weird and introverted. However, I do believe that I am a fast learner, creative, artistic and a leader in the sense that I enjoy developing or expanding on ideas. That got me through a chemistry and physics degree. It is not the result of the degree. I'm not saying I'm a big shot, and I know people who are smarter and harder working than I, but I know that not everyone could have done that. I knew people who were repeating remedial mathematics for the third time in a row or dropped out because they couldn't do it.

Last edited:
Likes math_denial
Zap said:
Of course I do. I am aware that I’m not a very charasmatic person, and my personality is most of the time weird and introverted. However, I do believe that I am a fast learner, creative, artistic and a leader in the sense that I enjoy developing or expanding on ideas. That got me through a chemistry and physics degree. It is not the result of the degree. I'm not saying I'm a big shot, but I know that not everyone could have done that.

You don't seem to get it.

You claim that you have more to offer an employer than your degree. I claim that you have no evidence to support this, since you haven't had a meaningful employment yet. What you wrote above is speculation, which is a dime a dozen. Furthermore, you are not the best person to evaluate whether you are a good fit to an employer. I would not have hired you, because you seem to blame everyone and everything else for your bitterness.

Zz.

Zap,

You have a degree in I lost track in what; and either you and your degree are useful to an employer or are not useful to an employer. You and prospective employers want to determine, what can you do for the employer that the employer wants done or needs done. Your laboratory instruction may be much too limited to let you figure how you have any lab related value, but any longer term activity might allow you some way to gain on understanding yourself and what you might like to accomplish. Are you or can you become a technician? Did you solve any specific problems with processes or with equipment which if you share, might be thrilling for your employment prospect to know?

Likes Zap
I was saying that completing my degree is evidence that I have some competency that not everyone has, but I don't think my degree gave me that competency. It is part of who I am. If I completed a project or did something meaningful, it was because of me, not my degree. That is my opinion.

And that's all I have to offer an employer, myself, because I don't have a developed skill like programming, or project management, or something like that. I've essentially been a lab technician for three and a half years (I'm an RA), but I don't think following SOPs is a skill. I managed to teach myself how to use a program they gave me and a little bit of programming, which allowed me to analyze a lot of data, but it's not much. I can say that my degree has given me a lot of background information that might allow me to learn at a faster rate than someone who didn't go to college, but it's a tough sell, and there's a lot of competition, even for technician jobs.

I'm shooting for this start up company tomorrow. I would be excited to work there, and I am interested in the product they are developing, but I don't know what I have to offer other than that. I am hoping that they are desperate enough for employees to give me a break. The position is related to data science. I know they are looking for CS and EE grads, and I know it's a long shot. I just had the idea of volunteering for the company to get some experience. I can walk to their headquarters. It's a 20 minute walk, but that's a short distance for walking. (Notice how we use time to describe distance?) I honestly hate graduate school. I pretty much hate physics now, and I don't enjoy my thesis project outside of learning Python. I only have one more worthless class to take, but honestly I'd take dropping out for a bit of real non-lab experience over the stupid master's degree. All I need is 12 dollars a day to buy McDonald's. Heck, I saw a homeless guy chillin outside the headquarters the other day. I wish I had 12 dollars. I would buy about two pounds of McDonald's. All I really need is McDonald's. I might consider applying there. I used to work at Burger King. I got all the cheeseburgers I wanted. Those were honestly better times, simpler times. I was making like 400 bucks a month. Rent was 200 bucks. I had all the cheeseburgers I wanted. I had to steal them, but they were free nonetheless. No debt. No obligations. I didn't have enough money for television, but I was care free, only worrying about my next cheeseburger. I still love Burger King and McDonald's. You can't make chicken or burgers taste the same at home. They got polydimethylsiloxane in the chicken nuggets, and who knows what else. It is very tasty.

Last edited:
Everyday is a struggle. I need to vent to someone. My family thinks I am not getting a job because I'm simply not trying. They also don't realize how draining and miserable grad school is. I know it's not this way for some, but it is for me. I'm just taking it one day at a time. Everyday is a brainstorm of how I can get out of this, who do I need to talk to, where should I be looking, what should I be looking for, what are my qualifications, what should I be working on. I wasn't looking for jobs on physics forum. It didn't cross my mind.

Likes math_denial
Zap said:
Everyday is a struggle. I need to vent to someone. My family thinks I am not getting a job because I'm simply not trying. They also don't realize how draining and miserable grad school is. I know it's not this way for some, but it is for me. I'm just taking it one day at a time. Everyday is a brainstorm of how I can get out of this, who do I need to talk to, where should I be looking, what should I be looking for, what are my qualifications, what should I be working on. I wasn't looking for jobs on physics forum. It didn't cross my mind.

It is irresponsible and a misuse of resources to use PF as a place for you to vent. You are disguising your venting as “advice” to someone seeking answers to question like this.

Go elsewhere to vent. You need a psychiatrist, or a baby sitter, whichever is more appropriate.

Zz.

Likes Bystander, russ_watters and Dr. Courtney
Zap said:
This just reminds us that a degree in Physics is an education for gaining understanding, but not for job training. A degree in Engineering is more for job training. You might try to compare this to earning a degree in Chemistry, again which is an education for gaining understanding, but again is not specifically intended as job training. Some people had at least some courses from Engineering and computerization skills, which more likely will make such students more marketable and therefore are more appealing to prospective employers. The more specifically you can tell the employers what you can do for them, the better for you in actually finding employment. This was one of the things motivating the earlier question about "what vocational education or training did you have which was useful in getting or doing a job...".

ZapperZ said:
It is irresponsible and a misuse of resources to use PF as a place for you to vent. You are disguising your venting as “advice” to someone seeking answers to question like this.

Go elsewhere to vent. You need a psychiatrist, or a baby sitter, whichever is more appropriate.

Zz.
That is the more pessimistic way to view Zap's discussion. Mine, in post #183 might be more in line with maybe Zap should consider that he might need other skills and knowledge which may come from going back to school for one or two terms in order to learn something practical. Or he should take whatever job in Physics or Chemistry he can find, and be sure he can later identify what he learned from it. Otherwise, he needs to find a job; ANY JOB.

Likes math_denial and atyy
symbolipoint said:
That is the more pessimistic way to view Zap's discussion. Mine, in post #183 might be more in line with maybe Zap should consider that he might need other skills and knowledge which may come from going back to school for one or two terms in order to learn something practical. Or he should take whatever job in Physics or Chemistry he can find, and be sure he can later identify what he learned from it. Otherwise, he needs to find a job; ANY JOB.

He has a pessimistic view of what he can do with his “dumb major”. I’m simply following along the path he has set for himself.

Zz.

Likes Bystander
Zap said:

I would tell you to focus on finishing your grad school for now, and see if that helps you finding a job afterward. If it doesn't, there are many jobs out there that don't require an engineering degree, such as anything in Data Science and many jobs in programming (which seems like something you'd enjoy based on your posts). I would make a list of such jobs in your area, and their requirements, and get training based on what would be useful (you could even start before finishing grad school, if you got the time). You could get training by taking some affordable online courses (which is perfectly fine for data science and programming), and by looking for internships that some companies offer.

In the meantime, you'll probably have to get through by having a crappy job to make ends meet; it sucks, but that's life. Keep your head straight - competence shines through eventually. Good luck.

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
I realized today that a minimum wage job would be a 20k salary where I am. That's almost double what I'm making as an RA. We don't get tuition waivers here, and the tuition is almost half of the stipend. So, if I end up with a minimum wage job, I'd actually be moving up. I think I'd be okay with that. My brother can get me a job working in construction that pays 30k. I'll be a laborer, but that's just about how much a chemist makes. I could try and teach myself programming in the meantime. I'm still going to head over to that tech startup to see if I can volunteer in data science. I decided to wait until after the holiday week in hopes of catching the dude I spoke with about the company. If they hire me, that would be awesome, but I would be happy gaining experience in my free time. I'm going to try to chill out.

Last edited:
I am a 30 year old man, with geophysics background. During my undergraduate studies, I have mainly supported myself by working casually as a tutor for my university. The fact that I graduated allowed me to get hired by my university to teach a physics class at sub-bachelor level (think high school level). I now hold a permanent part-time role, earning enough so that I can support myself and my little sister, who is studying to become an engineer. This is all thanks to the wonderful people who have helped me on my journey. Was my degree worth it? Hell yeah!

I won't stop there. Once my sister graduates (and I bridge the geophysics-physics difference), I will start applying to grad schools worldwide. I have a world to conquer!

On a side-note, I spoke to my Physics 101 professor the other day, who was surprised not to see me making money at Chevron, ExxonMobile, etc. I told him, I'm dirt-poor, but beyond happy!

For the first time in life, I have perfect clarity. Why physics, you ask? Because it is my calling. This is what I was born to do.

You must not live in the United States

Being able to support yourself and your sister is not dirt poor.

Last edited:
What did you guys do to get a job? I don't mean a job in physics, but any decent career path?

Likes symbolipoint
Zap said:
What did you guys do to get a job? I don't mean a job in physics, but any decent career path?

With physics degree, you can do much better than Burger King, I can tell you that much. You just need a game plan; you need to demonstrate that you understand the issues their business is facing, and explain how you would handle such issues, or why you are the right guy for the job.

Here is an example. If I was applying for a teller job in a bank, I would premeditate the following (for interview situation):

Unlike Harvey Norman or Target who sell physical products their customers can see and touch, your products are financial and abstract. It is therefore crucial that your customers understand what it is that they are signing up for. As a maths and physics tutor throughout my undergraduate years, I've been communicating the difference between simple interest and compound interest to kids and mature-age students alike for years. In this time, I have learned to communicate clearly to a wide range of personality types, I have sufficient technical background, etc.. (you get the idea).What you want to say: I am smart. Hire me.
What you actually say: Well, in my free time, I like to read books. My favourite topics are philosophy, formal logic and books on self-improvement. I'm reading Bertrand Russell at the moment, and finding it... (etc..)

What you want to say: I share your values.
What you actually do: Research them and ask yourself if you do, in fact, share their values. If you do, write down a situation where you have exemplified such value.

There is huge amount of resources online regarding how to find a job. You may even wish to get a book, such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/0958104107/?tag=pfamazon01-20, or something similar. Abandon the "system is rigged" attitude, and adapt to whatever life throws at you.

Also, this advice:
ZapperZ said:
You need a psychiatrist
You may wish to take it seriously. As in - consider getting professional help. If you are currently filled with negativity, people that interview you will be able to sense it. Your first attempt in generating positive energy should be getting enough sleep, healthy diet, and exercise. If all that fails - yes, drugs. Anti-depressants, or whatever your doctor thinks best. Think of it as a temporary solution, to help you break free of that cycle.

Good luck, buddy.

Likes math_denial and Zap
That was pretty good advice. Thank you. However, a psychiatrist is not going to fix my problems, and neither is a positive attitude. I need a job, and I need to get out of this school. It should be apparent that I am not able to afford a doctor, anyway. I don't have the money or patience for graduate school. It is extremely difficult to focus on schoolwork while I am in constant anxiety about finding employment. I'm not in danger of failing, but I'm definitely not excelling. I can't excel at something that I've lost value in.

Once exams are out of the way, I can focus on more important things, like jobs again. I spent enough time on my resume to feel pretty confident about it, but I think my cover letters are still lacking. Your example was very helpful.

Last edited:
Zap said:

My path out was through actuarial exams.

Likes math_denial
Zap said:

Locrian said:
My path out was through actuarial exams.

my path was masters in nuclear engineering, but that was 40 years ago. things are different now.

Zap said:
It should be apparent that I am not able to afford a doctor, anyway.
I am not from the US, so I am unable to comment on US health care system. One of my American acquaintances once summarised it If you're not rich, you're f****d. Hopefully it's not as bad as that.
Doesn't university pay for it though? I thought universities pay for health insurance when they bring overseas graduate students? Or do they only pay for international students?

Zap said:
I don't have the money or patience for graduate school.
Due to a number of reasons, I won't be able to enter grad school for the next 3 years. Just goes to show how one man's heaven is another man's hell. Why are you not enjoying your work as RA? If you had money, what would you rather be doing that would make your life meaningful? Oil & Gas? Maximising returns for the shareholders?

Are you good at teaching? If grad school is not for you, you could always get a quick certificate in education and become a school teacher, or something like that...? Spend 3-4 years working to financially and emotionally "recover". You can always go back to grad school at some point in the future? (Just a thought.)

Some universities provide health insurance, not all. The one I attend does not. I don't have a need for a doctor, anyway. I'm not terminally ill. I need more money for basic expenses. I've not even thought about health insurance.

My RA work seems meaningless. I don't see it helping me get a job. Therefore, it's useless. I'd rather be doing something more creative, like developing a program or building something. If I'm not graphing stuff, I'm injecting stuff into a tube. I mainly follow protocols, and that's pretty much it. I do a lot of clock watching and trying to find a way out. I've honestly been trying to find a way out of this lab since I started three and a half years ago. Somehow, I never get the balls to just apply to Walmart or something, and I fool myself into thinking this "research" experience will somehow pay off. So, I've been stuck in it. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to find funding anywhere else, and like I said, I never got the balls to just apply to a minimum wage job as a way out, which would actually pay more. I've applied to internships, but I think my credentials are just not that great. I went to the startup company today, but they weren't interested. Forgive me but I don't see a bright future ahead.

My advisor also randomly loses funding, forgets or intentionally doesn't pay me. I haven't been paid for over a month. It's a fricken nightmare. I don't know how much longer of this I can handle. I already reported him to the university, but he's still doing it. I can't imagine a worse situation to be in. I picked a god awful advisor who gives no direction, has zero networks, does useless and outdated research and randomly decides not to pay me. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I don't pursue the teaching thing, because I don't want to go to school anymore. I've applied to teach in other countries, because they don't require certification, but I didn't have any luck.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Zap, post: 6098664, member: 647625"]Some universities provide health insurance, not all. The one I attend does not. I don't have a need for a doctor, anyway. I'm not terminally ill. I need more money for basic expenses. I've not even thought about health insurance.

My RA work seems meaningless. I don't see it helping me get a job. Therefore, it's useless. I'd rather be doing something more creative, like developing a program or building something. If I'm not graphing stuff, I'm injecting stuff into a tube. I mainly follow protocols, and that's pretty much it. I do a lot of clock watching and trying to find a way out. I've honestly been trying to find a way out of this lab since I started three and a half years ago. Somehow, I never get the balls to just apply to Walmart or something, and I fool myself into thinking this "research" experience will somehow pay off. So, I've been stuck in it. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to find funding anywhere else, and like I said, I never got the balls to just apply to a minimum wage job as a way out, which would actually pay more. I've applied to internships, but I think my credentials are just not that great. I went to the startup company today, but they weren't interested. Forgive me but I don't see a bright future ahead.

My advisor also randomly loses funding, forgets or intentionally doesn't pay me. I haven't been paid for over a month. It's a fricken nightmare. I don't know how much longer of this I can handle. I already reported him to the university, but he's still doing it. I can't imagine a worse situation to be in. I picked a god awful advisor who gives no direction, has zero networks, does useless and outdated research and randomly decides not to pay me. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I don't pursue the teaching thing, because I don't want to go to school anymore. I've applied to teach in other countries, because they don't require certification, but I didn't have any luck.[/QUOTE]

[USER=647625]@Zap
, how close are you to completing your MS in physics? From your above description (and your earlier posts) it seems pretty clear that you are being taken advantage of by an advisor who is behaving unethically, but if you are only a short time away from graduating, perhaps you should cut your losses with a graduate degree in tow.

The questions now that you should ask yourself would be the following:

(a) What skills do you actually have, that you can demonstrate to a potential employer? What can you demonstrate that you can actually do? For example, with a quantitative degree one of the most important skills you should possesses should include programming. Can you program? If so, do you have any programs you've created that you can post (on places like GitHub)? Other skills you should possesses would be data analysis skills (from your experience in experiments). Can you spin that on your resume and/or cover letter?

(b) What type(s) of career do you wish to have? As I suggested above, will you be happy working as a software developer or data scientist (popular career choices for those with physics backgrounds)? Or do you want to do something else, say become an actuary (following @Locrian 's example)? Or do you want to do something different (e.g. patent agent, possible law school, the trades)?

Once you answered the questions posed in (a) and (b), then you need to think of ways to gain the skills that you actually need to get the kind of career you'd want. This may involve taking additional schooling (for example, a second degree in engineering or law school), an apprenticeship (say, if you go into the trades), or independent studies (for programming). And then you need to go out there and network your butt off. If you need to have a filler job in between, like a construction job or Walmart job (whatever jobs are most in demand where you are currently living) while you are gaining those skills, I think that is worth pursuing.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.[/USER]

Last edited:
People who cannot find value in their experiences, are definitely people not worth hiring. Therefore, yeah I agree your RA is useless for you, but not because it's useless. Maybe you're right, nothing you learn will directly apply to whatever job you think you want (doubtful), but maybe that's the case. However, a persons ability to talk positively, and meaningfully about their job says a lot about whether I want to work with that person or not. I don't want people who see problems and negativity but rather opportunities to succeed or change things. I can more or less ensure you that your attitude will preclude you from any success.

I lead a large data science team for a hedge fun. I interview hundred of candidates personally. Very few (if any) know anything about financial modeling, but I also believe that if you can get an advance degree in something technical, you can probably self-teach yourself what you need to know. I also happen to know that a myriad of data science teams feel the same as I do. You will be given opportunities simply because you have accomplished an advance degree. It'll be up to you to demonstrate that you are a self-learner and able to think through unfamiliar problems.

If you show that you're intelligent, capable, forward thinking, and have a base knowledge of simple statistics/ml algorithms, then you will probably do well. However, if you go into an interview demeaning your abilities then yeah I fully expect you to fail.

Likes russ_watters, plasmon_shmasmon, vela and 4 others
Maybe this is a little to pessimistic:
MarneMath said:
People who cannot find value in their experiences, are definitely people not worth hiring. Therefore, yeah I agree your RA is useless for you, but not because it's useless. Maybe you're right, nothing you learn will directly apply to whatever job you think you want (doubtful), but maybe that's the case. However, a persons ability to talk positively, and meaningfully about their job says a lot about whether I want to work with that person or not. I don't want people who see problems and negativity but rather opportunities to succeed or change things. I can more or less ensure you that your attitude will preclude you from any success.

I lead a large data science team for a hedge fun. I interview hundred of candidates personally. Very few (if any) know anything about financial modeling, but I also believe that if you can get an advance degree in something technical, you can probably self-teach yourself what you need to know. I also happen to know that a myriad of data science teams feel the same as I do. You will be given opportunities simply because you have accomplished an advance degree. It'll be up to you to demonstrate that you are a self-learner and able to think through unfamiliar problems.

If you show that you're intelligent, capable, forward thinking, and have a base knowledge of simple statistics/ml algorithms, then you will probably do well. However, if you go into an interview demeaning your abilities then yeah I fully expect you to fail.

To be a bit more optimistic, Zap, you may actually have been getting or did have some beneficial experiences or outcomes. LOOK FOR THEM! You might not recognize them right away.

Likes math_denial and plasmon_shmasmon
I found out that my advisor is already retired, and there isn't much I can do about the financial thing, other than try to find a quick job elsewhere. I cannot live off of nothing. Tomorrow will be a day I will apply to anything within walking distance. It will only be for December. I am already hired for a TAship in January, which will be a lot more money than my advisor is paying me. I don't trust the guy at all, and I can't keep working for him. Fortunately, I don't need to publish a thesis to graduate. I only need to take one more class. I am learning Python, and I would love to learn more about the machine learning thing. This experience has made me dislike anything related to university. I think learning Python in my free time is the way to go. Thanks for everyone’s inout. This is probably the most stressful period in my life and itwas good to talk to somebody

Last edited:
Likes atyy and symbolipoint
What country is this in? In the US one cannot simply refuse to pay someone, nor does someone "randomly lose funding".

I know. It's ridiculous. I've not yet had someone explain it to me. I just need to get out of this situation ASAP. I will see what my options are after that. My adviser simply blames the receptionists for not doing their jobs, and the receptionists and department head tell me that he is not telling them to hire me in a timely fashion. For example, he tells them to hire me one month after I already started, which then results in a lot of complications. I found out that I have some sort of healthcare. I think it is some form of medicare or medicaid, whichever it is, that has rolled over for the last couple of years. I thought that I had lost that, but I guess not. Most of his students are graduates from other countries, and they are too afraid to make the problem public. I'm not a foreigner, though, and it is my opinion that the situation I am in is unacceptable. So, I will be doing whatever I can to make sure this is dealt with properly.

Again, what country is this in?

We can't help you if you don't provide information - and I am beginning to come around to ZapperZ's position here.

Likes Bystander
One big problem with college students and recent graduates these days is they refuse to take personal ownership of their employability.

A college degree is not sufficient to make one appealing to employers.

You need to own your entire resume and make sure you are more appealing than all the mediocre and poor job applicants who also have college degrees. A degree is usually necessary, but rarely sufficient. What makes your resume stand out? What is it about your resume that effectively communicates your excellent work ethic and preparation for the job for which you are applying?

Having served on numerous hiring and interview committees, here are some things we often look for:
1. A degree in an appropriate and sufficiently challenging field.
2. The less work experience an applicant has, the more important the reputation of the degree-granting institution is.
3. The less work experience an applicant has, the more important their GPA is. GPAs below 3.0 never generate excitement or interest on hiring committees. GPAs that are not listed are presumed to be below 3.0.
4. GPAs between 3.0 and 3.5 sometimes generate interest if they are from good institutions in challenging majors: EE or Physics at Texas A&M or GA Tech, for example. A 3.2 GPA in Physics from a lower tier school will not generate much interest unless the applicant pool is fairly weak.
5. Other indicators of excellence, which may include work history or research. Full time employment is not necessary from a recent graduate, but a real work or research history provides both indications of quality as well as potential references.
6. Indicators of maturity and seriousness. No employer wants employees who are better at finding excuses for failure than ways to succeed. PF posts are fairly anonymous, but if an employer senses excuse making like that demonstrated in many of the above posts, they lose enthusiasm for a potential employee. What is it about your resume, interview, references, and social media that communicate to potential employers that you are much more strongly inclined to solve problems for your employer than to find excuses?

Likes jedishrfu, russ_watters, clope023 and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
What country is this in? In the US one cannot simply refuse to pay someone, nor does someone "randomly lose funding".

All of the posts that @Zap gave here indicate that he (or she -- unless if stated earlier, I can't figure out the gender of @Zap) is living in the US and is studying at an American college/university.

Likes symbolipoint
I think this thread has gone on long enough, it appears that @Zap isn't happy with his/her choice of major and needs to come to grips with their future.

Dr Transport said:
I think this thread has gone on long enough, it appears that @Zap isn't happy with his/her choice of major and needs to come to grips with their future.
It is not so clear. The last few posts indicate that Zap has more deciding and exploring to do.

I'm in the US. I decided just to look for another job. I don't want to report my adviser, again. The situation is pretty complex. I'd rather just resign on fair terms. Seeking revenge will probably make matters worse. There's more to it than the financial thing, but that felt like the last straw for me. It's not the first time it's happened, and I've been miserable working for him for awhile.

I think my resume is okay. I know it's not the best. I lack relevant experience. I have research experience, but it's pretty weak, in my opinion. I often have a hard time trying to make it sound worthwhile, but I try, and I suppose it's better than nothing. I have an equivalent amount of teaching and tutoring experience. My undergraduate GPA is 3.66. My graduate GPA is not so hot. It's currently a 3.2. However, it should increase, possibly to 3.5, before graduation.

My adviser wants me to publish this really obscure thesis, but I don't have much faith or interest in it. I don't feel like showing up to the lab anymore. I can work part time at McDonald's and earn the same, have a steady paycheck and experience less pressure. So, there's no incentive to stay. I was talking to professors in other departments, and almost started working with this dude in optics, but I decided to stay in this lab, thinking that publishing that paper was more important. But after this incident, I regret it.

Maybe, I can volunteer in more interesting research next semester during my TA assignment. I don't think an obscure paper that I doubt is publishable is all that important. Maybe, I'm wrong, but in any case, I don't want to force myself to continue doing something I don't like when I'm getting paid scraps for it in some unpredictable manner that is causing me more stress than it's worth.

I'd really like to shadow a few other professors around campus during my TAship to get a feel for what I actually might enjoy doing, instead. The department head knows that my adviser has not been treating me fairly. He already hired me as full time TA next semester. I don't even have to be a full time student, and I'm only teaching two labs. So, I will have extra time and extra money. I just need to get through this month. Good looking out, department head.

At least someone around here is helping me out. The physics and chemistry department heads really do care about the students. I can tell that. Not all of the professors do, though. So, I am thankful that I have a relationship with the heads. The head of physics comes back from sabbatical next semester. It will be good to reconnect with him. I consider him more-so my true adviser than my so-called adviser. I wanted to RA with him, but the dude went on sabbatical.

Things will be better next semester. With the thesis out of the way and stress levels down, I can focus on the qualifying exam and gtfo of here. I failed it the first time, because I didn't study. But, I feel like I will have a greater purpose once I get out of this lab. I'm actually excited about working at McDonald's or some place like that and trying something new. Literally, anything is better than that lab.

So, I've wrote my life's story. I'm glad people here were interested. These discussions are therapeutic. I appreciate you guys and/or girls (unlikely) hearing me out. I'm sure there is a lesson to be found in my experience.Zap.

Last edited:
I've been following this for a bit. I think the lessons to learn come partly from posts #191 and #197-199.

In general, one should try to be positive and look for things to gain from every experience. And it takes some thoughtfulness to spin your experiences into an effective resume. To bring it back to the theme of this thread, yes I think a physics major is worth it, but you have to make it worth it with an eye towards the economy that we all live in (i.e., by focusing on the skills that YOU think YOU should gain along the way). A physics major in and of itself will not get you employed, as has been stated numerous times in this thread.

One thing that I am unsure about is whether you should look for "any" employment out there. You said that you're almost 30, and I think it will be hard to get back into the scientific/technical "lane" if you take a random, unrelated job (maybe I'm wrong?). What about unemployment (for $$ I mean) while you keep figuring it out?

Finally, I wanted to note that my grad school experience was similar to yours in some ways. There were some months I didn't get payed (but that was resolved) and many semesters when I didn't know what assignment I was going to have (TA or RA) or the amount that my paycheck was going to be until the semester started. It's hard to describe how stressful this is (especially because I have a wife and a child) and I can appreciate your frustration. Everyone knows that grad students are payed very minimally (something that is usually compensated by the training that we gain and by tuition remission, etc.), but people don't realize how damaging financial uncertainty is to your spirit. I made it through okay and have a great job in education, but there were many times that I was uncertain that it would work out.

Likes Zap and Charles Link