Physics: When a 58-g tennis ball is served?

In summary: N.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net force acting on a 58-g tennis ball during a serve. The ball accelerates from rest to a speed of 36 m/s over a distance of 36 cm, and the question is asked about the magnitude of the net force. Various equations are used, including Fnet= ma, v=d/t, V-V_0=at, and x = (1/2)at^2, with some errors in unit conversions and finding the correct time. The correct answer is found to be 104.4N.
triplel777

Homework Statement

When a 58-g tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a speed of 36 m/s. The impact with the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 36 cm. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet= ma
to find a i need time
so i used v=d/t to find the time. 36=36/t so t=1sec
now to find a i used V-V_0=at so 36=a*1 so a=36
now i plugged it in
Fnet= 58g*36=2088

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are very sloppy with your units. Go back through your calculations making sure the units are correct. I can see at least two major place where you units are incorrect. See if this fixes the answer.

ok so i changed the m=0.058kg, and d=0.36m
so t=0.01s which makes a=3600m/s2 so fnet= 3600*0.058=208.8. did i do a conversion wrong/

The speed of the ball isn't 36 m/s during the entire acceleration, but only at the end of it, so you can't use v = d/t and the time you computed is wrong.
use x = (1/2) a t^2 to find out when the ball has moved 36 cm.

how can i use x= 1/2 at^2 if i don't know the t or a? what do i use for t? i tried using v^2-V_0^2=2a(x-x_0) but that didnt work out?

triplel777 said:
how can i use x= 1/2 at^2 if i don't know the t or a? what do i use for t? i tried using v^2-V_0^2=2a(x-x_0) but that didnt work out?

You know x = 0.36m = (1/2)at^2 and v = at = 36 m/s

oh ok thanks its 104.4

Related to Physics: When a 58-g tennis ball is served?

1. How fast does the tennis ball travel when it is served?

The speed of a tennis ball when it is served can vary depending on the strength and technique of the player. On average, a professional tennis player can serve a ball at speeds of 100-130 miles per hour.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a served tennis ball?

The trajectory of a served tennis ball is affected by several factors including the initial speed and angle of the ball, air resistance, gravity, and spin applied by the player.

3. How does the mass of a tennis ball impact its velocity when served?

The mass of a tennis ball does not directly impact its velocity when served. However, a heavier ball may be able to retain more energy and travel at a higher speed when served.

4. What is the role of air resistance in the flight of a served tennis ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the flight of a served tennis ball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences resistance which can cause it to slow down, change direction, and ultimately affect its trajectory.

5. Can the spin applied by a player on a served tennis ball change its flight path?

Yes, the spin applied by a player on a served tennis ball can significantly impact its flight path. Backspin, for example, can cause the ball to dip and bounce lower, while topspin can make the ball bounce higher and travel faster.