Post Your Grades for Spring Term

In summary, the conversation involves several individuals discussing their grades for the semester. Some are happy with their grades in difficult courses, while others are disappointed with their performance. One person mentions taking 25 hours of honors classes and getting mostly B's, while another mentions only taking two classes and receiving an A and a B. The conversation also touches on the topic of A+ grades and how they are perceived at different universities.
Nano-Passion said:
Woah.. Is this college? AP computer science is out of a 6.0?? That would reallyyy boost your gpa. I want to take honor classes now!

No, it's high school. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
TylerH said:
No, it's high school. :)

Silly me. :shy: I had a feeling there is no "AP" for college.

Numerical Methods - A+
Stats and Probabilities - A+ (honors)
Combinatorics - A (honors)
Intermediate Microeconomics - A+
Intro to Human Development - A+

kylem said:
Numerical Methods - A+
Stats and Probabilities - A+ (honors)
Combinatorics - A (honors)
Intermediate Microeconomics - A+
Intro to Human Development - A+

I'm assuming this is college. What is a GPA of A+ equate to? Because in my college they don't give A+.

Total Avg. GPA: 3.70
#################
Calc I: -A
Chem II: B+
Intro C++: A
#################

My course schedule got all screwed up so I ended up only taking 3 courses

Nano-Passion said:
I'm assuming this is college. What is a GPA of A+ equate to? Because in my college they don't give A+.

Yes, major state University. A+ = 4.0; the same as a straight A. All other plus and minus grades affect GPA, though. Wish the A+ counted for more. ;)

Physics: 88% (a month left)
Biology: 88% (a month left)
Philosophy: 78%... I don't want to talk about it (a month left)
Computer Science: 92% (a month left)

Statistical Mechanics: A
Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations: A
Nuclear and Particle Physics: A
Electronics Lab II: A

Calculus II: A
Physics I: A

Thermodynamics/Statistical physics: A
Quantum Physics: A
Applied Algebra: A
Linear Algebra : A
American literature: ? <- This english class better not eff up a perfect semester lol. Havent gotten it back yet.

Programming for Scientists/Engineers: A
Ordinary Differential Equations II: A-
Quantum Mechanics II: A
Statistical Methods I: A

I was so close with ODEs :(

School of hard knocks: B- ( i can do better)

Senior Projects: B
Molecular Gas Dynamics and DSMC: A
Propulsion: A-
High Speed Aerodynamics: A

Fizex said:
I'm about to start QM and electro & magneto statics, should I start studying for classical mechanics first this summer or dive straight into QM?

You should try to read ahead on QM since, personally, it always takes longer to digest than any other class (other than general relativity IMO). I always found it useful to supplement the QM text with some of the Susskind lectures online and re-reading also. Classical mechanics should be pretty straightforward and electro&magnetostatics is pretty accessible, just review your vector calculus.

Introduction to Physical Measurement - 97% (basically a circuits/lab course)
Physical Properties of Materials - 95%
Physics III (intro to quantum) - 93%
Advanced Calculus II (multiple integrals/vector calc) - 90%
Linear Algebra II - 90%

Or if you'd like in terms of GPA (I'm in Canada so we're on a 4.0 system) They're all A+ / 4.00

Modern Physics 2: A
Intermediate Physics Laboratory 2: A-
Electricity and Magnetism: A-
Elementary Linear Algebra: A-
Directed Readings (1 credit undergrad research): A

The curse of the A- strikes again. Overall GPA is now 3.84

Clever-Name said:
Introduction to Physical Measurement - 97% (basically a circuits/lab course)
Physical Properties of Materials - 95%
Physics III (intro to quantum) - 93%
Advanced Calculus II (multiple integrals/vector calc) - 90%
Linear Algebra II - 90%

Or if you'd like in terms of GPA (I'm in Canada so we're on a 4.0 system) They're all A+ / 4.00

You almost got an A- in two of your classes, be careful. As soon as you hit 89 it constitutes an A- (well in NJ college it does anyways).

I remember I got my only A- this year because of an 89, needless to say I'm still pissed about it. >.<

Looking at all your A's...I cannot help but wonder about grade inflation...but I mean no disrespect. PF is a community of committed learners and educators afterall.

Anyway, I will be getting my grades for spring term next monday. The college is tough on grade inflation, but nonetheless reasonable on the amount of A's (maybe the top 25% get A-, A, A+). 3A- and 2A are usually sufficient to place in top 5% of the class.

Nano-Passion said:
You almost got an A- in two of your classes, be careful. As soon as you hit 89 it constitutes an A- (well in NJ college it does anyways).

I remember I got my only A- this year because of an 89, needless to say I'm still pissed about it. >.<
I'm guessing you didn't read the part where he said he got an A+?

90% is an A+?

ych22 said:
Looking at all your A's...I cannot help but wonder about grade inflation...but I mean no disrespect. PF is a community of committed learners and educators afterall.

You also have to remember that this isn't a random sample. I'm willing to bet that people that get A's are more likely to report their grades than those who got B's and C's.

Jack21222 said:
You also have to remember that this isn't a random sample. I'm willing to bet that people that get A's are more likely to report their grades than those who got B's and C's.

Of course, I understand that.

It would be great to know how PF forumners do relatively against their classmates.

TylerH said:
90% is an A+?
Sometimes, yes. In one of the courses I even had around 88% and got an A+. I don't know what the cut-off was, though.

Ryker said:
Sometimes, yes. In one of the courses I even had around 88% and got an A+. I don't know what the cut-off was, though.

I used to think 96%+ was an A+...

I guess it is at some universities or in some classes. But the tests are then easier. I personally prefer harder tests with lower averages. Since it is curved, it evens out in the end anyway.

At my school (University of Colorado - Boulder, Aerospace Engineering), the grade cutoffs are very much class dependent. I've gotten a B with an 88 before, but I've also gotten an A with a 76. It all depends on how the professor sets the curve (and what the averages are). An A+ doesn't exist here.

As for grade inflation? I have noticed in my graduate classes that an A seems substantially easier to get than it was in undergrad (I'm in the BS/MS program that allows for a masters in 5 years - last year, I was in both graduate and undergraduate classes). I was sure that I was going to get a B in fluid mechanics in the fall, but I ended up with a solid A. However, the requirements also went up - a C is no longer passing, so the only possible passing grades are A and B. While this has helped my GPA (I have a 4.0 in graduate courses so far, compared to a bit over 3.4 in undergrad), it also has the effect of reducing the resolution of the grading scale. Where before, an A took substantial effort and well above average performance, an A in graduate school so far seems to be relatively easy to get, and only require average or slightly better performance.

I am curious to know how many of your schools grade on a +/- scale, as opposed to 90/80/70/60..

anonymity said:
I am curious to know how many of your schools grade on a +/- scale, as opposed to 90/80/70/60..

The uni I started at 10 years ago did 1/2 points (normal percentage distro):
A - 4.0 (92+)
AB - 3.5 (87-92)
B - 3.0 (82-87)
BC - 2.5 (77-82)
C - 2.0 (72-77)
CD - 1.5 (65-72)
D - 1 (60-65)

School I am at now does something similar, but they just call them +'s (there are no 'minuses') and have a slightly different suggested distro

A+ - 4.0 (95+)
A - 4.0 (90+)
B+ - 3.5 (85-89)
B - 3.0 (80-84)
C+ 2.5 (75-79)
etc

Personally, I think the second is very forgiving (all classes I have had so far use that percent-grade distro as well). But... the teachers do compensate a little bit knowing the actual grade points they're giving.

Yeah that second one is forgiving for sure...honestly, I thought my school (no pluses or minuses at all) was overly forgiving.

I guess there's two sides to it though, because if you just miss an A you don't get knocked down to a 3.0 (B) on the +/- scale (and your alternative + scale), whereas here you do.

My school does:

A: 4.0
A-: 3.67
B+: 3.33
B: 3.0
B-: 2.67
C+: 2.33
C: 2.0
D: 1.0

92+ is an A, 89-92 is an A-, and I can't remember the rest.

Of course, this doesn't take into account curved grades.

I ended up with around an 80% in E&M, but that was an A-; the median was around a 60.

TylerH said:
90% is an A+?

According to my school's grading system, I'm also using this conversion chart. It is different everywhere else though. According to Ontario my grades = perfect 4.00 average

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

My school is in column 3

Last edited by a moderator:
cjl said:
At my school (University of Colorado - Boulder, Aerospace Engineering), the grade cutoffs are very much class dependent. I've gotten a B with an 88 before, but I've also gotten an A with a 76. It all depends on how the professor sets the curve (and what the averages are). An A+ doesn't exist here.

As for grade inflation? I have noticed in my graduate classes that an A seems substantially easier to get than it was in undergrad (I'm in the BS/MS program that allows for a masters in 5 years - last year, I was in both graduate and undergraduate classes). I was sure that I was going to get a B in fluid mechanics in the fall, but I ended up with a solid A. However, the requirements also went up - a C is no longer passing, so the only possible passing grades are A and B. While this has helped my GPA (I have a 4.0 in graduate courses so far, compared to a bit over 3.4 in undergrad), it also has the effect of reducing the resolution of the grading scale. Where before, an A took substantial effort and well above average performance, an A in graduate school so far seems to be relatively easy to get, and only require average or slightly better performance.

Are you saying graduate classes are easier than undergrad classes? :confused:

lsaldana said:
You should try to read ahead on QM since, personally, it always takes longer to digest than any other class (other than general relativity IMO). I always found it useful to supplement the QM text with some of the Susskind lectures online and re-reading also. Classical mechanics should be pretty straightforward and electro&magnetostatics is pretty accessible, just review your vector calculus.

Thanks, I was beginning to think no read my post.

ych22 said:

Anyway, I will be getting my grades for spring term next monday. The college is tough on grade inflation, but nonetheless reasonable on the amount of A's (maybe the top 25% get A-, A, A+). 3A- and 2A are usually sufficient to place in top 5% of the class.

I'm sure many of the people in my classes got C's or worse.

Let's see:

Basic Probability: B
Functional Analysis: B
Complex Variables II: A-
Philosophy of Mind: A-
Differential Geometry II: A
Advanced Logic: A

And, that is probably the most difficult semester I will ever take.

klackity said:
Let's see:

Basic Probability: B
Functional Analysis: B
Complex Variables II: A-
Philosophy of Mind: A-
Differential Geometry II: A
Advanced Logic: A

And, that is probably the most difficult semester I will ever take.

How many credits is that? It looks like a lot, and since it was difficult I'm wondering why did you take so many?

I personally like to take a moderate amount but try to attain complete mastery of the material.