Post Your Grades for Spring Term

In summary, the conversation involves several individuals discussing their grades for the semester. Some are happy with their grades in difficult courses, while others are disappointed with their performance. One person mentions taking 25 hours of honors classes and getting mostly B's, while another mentions only taking two classes and receiving an A and a B. The conversation also touches on the topic of A+ grades and how they are perceived at different universities.
Spring Semester:
Upper Div Statistics B+
Upper Div Ordinary Differential Equations (Dynamical Systems) A
Required Upper Div Writing Class B
Non-major Music Lessons A

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
How many credits is that? It looks like a lot, and since it was difficult I'm wondering why did you take so many?

I personally like to take a moderate amount but try to attain complete mastery of the material.

It's 20 credits. Basic Probability, Complex Variables II, Differential Geometry II, and Functional Analysis are 3 credits each. Advanced Logic and Philosophy of Mind are 4 credits each.

It seems strange that the harder courses are 3 credits, but they are grad courses so they meet for less time each week (i.e., no recitation; more time expected to be spent reading independently).

The intention was to try to take the math courses I was going to take anyway, as well as begin work on my second major (philosophy).

One the one hand, it was really stupid to take so much at once. It's kind of wrecked my GPA, and I really had trouble balancing it all at once.

On the other hand, I probably worked harder and thought more than that I ever have before. I learned enough to continue thinking about things over the summer. I certainly still have a lot I still need to understand, but I don't think it's so out of my reach to do so. Moreover, it's not really such a good idea to stress over grades anyway.

I figure that I'm probably the type of person who does better when they are struggling than when they are doing just fine. So it's probably good for me to struggle sometimes.

Vector Calculus: A
Intro Korean II: A
Gen Chem (honors): B+
Electromagnetism: A-

Clever-Name said:
According to my school's grading system, I'm also using this conversion chart. It is different everywhere else though. According to Ontario my grades = perfect 4.00 average

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

My school is in column 3

From this, and my Calculus II instructor, I'm getting the impression that Canadians are pretty slack on grading (or that Americans curve too much because they set too high of standards). Today was the first day, so when, of course, went over the grading scale, etc. He uses a 20 point grading scale, as in 100%-90%=A+, 89%-85%=A, 84%-80%=A-, etc. His justification for it was that he was used to it from teaching in Canada, and he never has to curve grades with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TylerH said:
From this, and my Calculus II instructor, I'm getting the impression that Canadians are pretty slack on grading (or that Americans curve too much because they set too high of standards). Today was the first day, so when, of course, went over the grading scale, etc. He uses a 20 point grading scale, as in 100%-90%=A+, 89%-85%=A, 84%-80%=A-, etc. His justification for it was that he was used to it from teaching in Canada, and he never has to curve grades with it.

I'm not sure how it's really done here but all I know is that there's an average that must be fit for each course set out by the adminstration, let's just say 75% for argument's sake. So if the average after the final is 40% then that 40% is then bumped to a 75% to fit the curve. For all I know I could've gotten 60% in all of my classes, just in relation to all of the other people in my class I got what is equivalent to high 90's

I swear Canadian schools seem like they hand out grades. 88% is an A+? cmon now.

iRaid said:
I swear Canadian schools seem like they hand out grades. 88% is an A+? cmon now.
I didn't mean it like that. In fact, I think it makes sense. From my experience, American instructors just curve their grades to get a good distribution, presumably a distribution about equal to that of grades in Canadian schools. For example, if my Calculus I teacher would have given me the HW grade I deserved, I would have received a B in the class, but he guesstimated that I deserved a 90 so I would get an A in the class (which I believe I deserved, considering that I made a 94+% on every test). At least, from what I can tell, Canadians are open about what an A really is.

TylerH, what exactly are you basing your statements, such as "Canadians are open about what an A really is" and "Canadians are pretty slack on grading", on? At my (Canadian) university professors usually look for gaps between student scores and distribute grades accordingly.

Ryker said:
TylerH, what exactly are you basing your statements, such as "Canadians are open about what an A really is" and "Canadians are pretty slack on grading", on? At my (Canadian) university professors usually look for gaps between student scores and distribute grades accordingly.

TylerH said:

Yes, induction from 2 cases and a statement made by one of them is weak, at best.

Yeah, but even from what you cited, it does not follow that there are more A's given out in Canada than in the US. If you make tests harder, then obviously you're going to have lower averages and vice versa. And, again, it differs from course to course. In some of my classes, one needs >95% to get an A+, whereas in different ones 88% might be enough. I think this actually indicates curving is very much in effect.

Ryker said:
Yeah, but even from what you cited, it does not follow that there are more A's given out in Canada than in the US. If you make tests harder, then obviously you're going to have lower averages and vice versa. And, again, it differs from course to course. In some of my classes, one needs >95% to get an A+, whereas in different ones 88% might be enough. I think this actually indicates curving is very much in effect.

TylerH said:
I didn't mean it like that. In fact, I think it makes sense. From my experience, American instructors just curve their grades to get a good distribution, presumably a distribution about equal to that of grades in Canadian schools. For example, if my Calculus I teacher would have given me the HW grade I deserved, I would have received a B in the class, but he guesstimated that I deserved a 90 so I would get an A in the class (which I believe I deserved, considering that I made a 94+% on every test). At least, from what I can tell, Canadians are open about what an A really is.

I never said Canada "gives" more A's. I presumed the opposite.

We have a different grading system in the Philippines. 1 being the highest and 4 and 5 means failed and should retake the subject.

Differential Equation : 1.25
Probability and Statistics : 2.50
Optics and Atomics : 1.25
Computer Fundamentals and Programming 2 : 2.25
Computer Fundamentals and Programming 2 Lab : 2.25
Technical Writing and Reporting : 1.75
Philippine Government and Constitution : 1.50
General Sociology : 1.75
Team Games and Sports : 1.00

a total of 24 credits. Probability & statistics is very hard. By the way, I am civil engineering undergrad.

median27 said:
We have a different grading system in the Philippines. 1 being the highest and 4 and 5 means failed and should retake the subject.

a total of 24 credits. Probability & statistics is very hard. By the way, I am civil engineering undergrad.

Not to judge you or anything, but I'm curious at the least..please tell me why you took a total of a whopping 24 credits for the semester.

Or I hope those are the classes for the whole year?

median27 said:

:eek:

Yeesh, that nearly a full years worth in one semester.

I think our curriculum here in the philippines is different from the other countries or just in our university. Engineering here is 5yrs and the credits to be taken per sem is fixed with their respective subjects. Meaning, if you are a regular student, all you have to do upon enrollment is to copy the fix required subjects and make your billing. We have no opportunity to pick only the subjects that we like and to have lesser credits (for mastery). Freshmen and sophomore years cap higher maths and numerous minors while Junior to fifth year encompasses our majors. Additional info... The least amount of credits is 17 and 25 would be the greatest (i think) per sem from 1st - 5th year.

Finishing every sem here is very stressful! Like now, I am an incoming 3rd year student and my subjects are...

Eng'ng mechanics(statics)
eng'ng geology
eng'ng thermodynamics
advanced eng'ng mathematics
elem and higher surveying
elem and higher surveying lab

a total of 19 credits
EVALUATION: its hard to get good grades and what hurts more is the lower retention rate.

P.S. We have 2 sems per year.

iRaid said:
I went to high school for two years in Canada and two years in the US. At my Canadian school, 80+ was an A; at the American school, 90 was the cutoff. However, the coursework and grading at the American school was much, much easier.

In Canada, it was very difficult to get above a 90 in a course. In fact, every year, any student who got above a 90 average overall (in all their classes) got to attend a special banquet with the mayor. During the two years I was there, only 3 kids in my year (out of ~150) were able to do this.

On the other hand, at my American high school, I got above a 90 in every course I took.
Also, my grandmother is a retired Canadian high school teacher who would occasionally get American exchange students in her courses. She told me just the other day about how the American students would complain about the "harsh" grading ("but I've never gotten anything below a 98!")

Conclusion: Canada = harder work, lower grade cutoffs. USA = easier work, higher grade cutoffs.

Here goes:

Complex Variables - A
Numerical Analysis - A
Number Theory - A-
Introduction to PDEs - A
Intro to Modern Physics - A

I would like to point out thought that my Numerical Analysis was a joke, and I barely had to do any work for it. A friend and I are planning on discussing how the course needs to be revamped with the professor who teaches it and the head of the department. The class was essentially this: "Welcome to Numerical Analysis. Here are some things you will learn about if you later study Numerical Analysis. Please type this algorithm into your TI-89. Don't understand it? That's fine, you just have to know how to push buttons to get an A."

I will also say that I am extremely proud of my grade in Number Theory. That was one of the most difficult classes I've ever taken, second only to an Applied Math course I took last year that was taught at a graduate level. I think my raw score was somewhere around 80%, and I worked my *** off to get that.

Orgo II: A+
Lab: B+ (which is ridiculous, TA took off 15 points off on the report b/c I put the wrong date..)
Genetics: B (very interesting but hard professor)
Knowledge&Reality (philosophy): A- (friggin awesome)
Linear Algebra : A+

+/- scale applies here. Overall I'm happy :)