Powder coating: way to add more positive charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of powder coating at home and the challenges of using a cheaper powder coating gun. The article mentioned may provide helpful information on features that can enhance the charge for a better coating. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of thermoset plastic and the necessary equipment and techniques for successful powder coating.
stryped
TL;DR Summary
Powder coating
I am thinking of powder coating at home. I know the part to be coated is negatively charged because it is grounded. I assume the powder is positively charged by the gun. I wonder if there is a way to add more positive charge cheaply to an inexpensive gun like the one at harbor freight? I think this is one of the drawbacks of a cheaper made gun. Could some sort of static charge be added?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use to work in a powder coat factory, spray on powder is thermoset plastic. Hot oven melts plastic to clean metal parts. You can order powder any bake temperature you like. I think the lowest bake temperature is about 350°f. We used 540°f power. Metal parts are electrically charged + & - to make powder attracted to parts. Call PPG they sell powder, they will mail you 1 lb free samples. House is none conductive how will you make powder stick and how will you bake your house in an oven? Heat gun will take years.

Last edited:

Related to Powder coating: way to add more positive charge?

What is powder coating and how does it work?

Powder coating is a dry finishing process in which a powdered paint is applied to a surface and then cured under heat to form a hard, durable finish. The powder can be made of various materials including polyester, epoxy, and polyurethane. The process involves electrostatically charging the powder particles, which are then sprayed onto a grounded surface. The charged particles adhere to the surface and are then heated in an oven, causing them to melt and form a uniform coating.

How can I increase the positive charge on the powder particles during the coating process?

Increasing the positive charge on powder particles can be achieved by adjusting the electrostatic spray gun settings, such as voltage and current. You can also use additives that enhance the powder's ability to hold a charge, or ensure the powder is properly conditioned and dry. Additionally, maintaining a clean and controlled environment can help in achieving a stronger charge.

What are the benefits of adding more positive charge to the powder coating process?

Adding more positive charge to the powder coating process improves the adhesion of the powder to the substrate, leading to a more uniform and durable coating. It also reduces overspray and waste, as more powder is attracted to the surface. This can result in better coverage, fewer touch-ups, and a more efficient use of materials.

Are there any risks associated with increasing the positive charge in powder coating?

While increasing the positive charge can improve coating efficiency, it also carries risks such as the possibility of back-ionization, where excessive charge repels additional powder particles, leading to poor coating quality. High voltage settings can also pose safety risks, including electrical hazards. It’s important to balance the charge to avoid these issues and ensure a safe working environment.

What equipment modifications might be necessary to add more positive charge to the powder coating process?

To add more positive charge, you might need to upgrade your electrostatic spray gun to one with higher voltage capabilities or better charge control features. You may also require more advanced power supplies and monitoring systems to ensure consistent charge levels. Additionally, optimizing the grounding of the substrate and maintaining clean application equipment can help in achieving a higher positive charge.