Question about the current through a strong insulator

abdossamad2003
Suppose we put a strong insulator under our feet. In this case, when we connect the test light to the electrical outlet, the light of the test light lights turn on. I wonder how the electric current can pass through the strong insulator. If we calculate, the electric current cannot be more than 10^-18 amp which cannot turn on the test light lamp in any way.

Physics news on Phys.org
abdossamad2003 said:
I wonder how the electric current can pass through the strong insulator.
The current that flows is AC at the mains frequency. The small current needed to light the test light passes through the capacitance between your body and the nearby ground.

A thick sheet of good insulator will also conduct current across the hygroscopic dirty surface and around the edges of the sheet to ground.

Edit; Do the numbers.
Assume a minimum of 100 pF of body capacitance, 50 Hz, 230 Vrms.
Vpp = 2.8 * 230 = 650 volts slew in about 10 ms.
C = q/v = i·t/v ; i·t = c·v ; i = c·v/t
Average current; 100e-12 * 650 / 0.01 = 6.5 uA

Last edited:
Likes DaveE and Delta2
abdossamad2003 said:
Suppose we put a strong insulator under our feet. In this case, when we connect the test light to the electrical outlet, the light of the test light lights turn on.
I'm confused by your question and situation. By "test light", do you mean an isolated AC Mains Safety Detection Device? If so, the answer given by @Baluncore is correct.

1705426252567.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluke-FLK2AC-90-1000V-90-1000-VAC-Detector/102480670

Related to Question about the current through a strong insulator

What happens when a strong insulator is subjected to a high voltage?

When a strong insulator is subjected to a high voltage, it generally does not conduct electricity. However, if the voltage is high enough to exceed the material's breakdown voltage, the insulator can become conductive, leading to an electrical breakdown or failure.

Can current flow through a strong insulator under normal conditions?

Under normal conditions, a strong insulator does not allow current to flow through it. Insulators have a very high resistance, which prevents the movement of charge carriers, effectively blocking the flow of electrical current.

What materials are considered strong insulators?

Materials such as rubber, glass, ceramics, and certain plastics are considered strong insulators. These materials have high resistance and low electrical conductivity, making them effective at preventing the flow of electric current.

How does temperature affect the insulating properties of a strong insulator?

Temperature can affect the insulating properties of a strong insulator. Generally, as temperature increases, the resistance of an insulator decreases, which can lead to a slight increase in conductivity. However, if the temperature becomes too high, it can cause the material to degrade or even melt, significantly reducing its insulating effectiveness.

What is the breakdown voltage of an insulator, and why is it important?

The breakdown voltage of an insulator is the minimum voltage that causes the insulator to become conductive. It is important because it defines the maximum electrical stress that the insulator can withstand without failing. Knowing the breakdown voltage helps in designing electrical systems to ensure they operate safely within the limits of the insulating materials used.