Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
DSC01898-L.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Math100, Keith_McClary, collinsmark and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
rsk said:

That calls for a carefully chosen title – nothing too obvious though.

DennisN said:
Did you take it yourself?
Yes!

Likes DennisN
The red poppy was taken in Córdoba (ES) in April.

2400 km and 6 or 7 weeks later, here is a Welsh poppy (so I'm told, don't know why it's called that) performing the same feat. Northumberland, UK

i-vRQ39dL-L.jpg

• Love
Likes epenguin, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 3 others
rsk said:
Yes!
Very cool! It's very eye-catching. And it also makes you think (well, at least me).
Which makes it a very good photo, in my opinion. :smile:

Likes BillTre and rsk
DennisN said:
I started with buying a small Moon lamp, and I liked it so much I started looking for planet lamps too.
I gave away my small Moon lamp to my mother, and bought a bigger one for myself. I really like the Moon and Mars lamp in particular, because they are quite realistic looking (more than what is shown in the photos below).

Here are my lamps (I can change them to quite many different colors with remote controls):

The Moon
View attachment 281540

Mars
(I think it looks a bit weird for some reason on this photo. It looks better in reality.)
View attachment 281541

Jupiter
View attachment 281542

Various Moon and planet lamps are available on Amazon e.g. here.
I've made a display of mine, thanks to you:

small planets-1.jpg

small planets-2.jpg

I've rearranged the planets and moon. Here's my current arrangement (notice the new airplane in the upper left corner of the pic):
current planets.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Leo Liu, DrClaude, DennisN and 3 others
dlgoff said:
I've made a display of mine, thanks to you:

View attachment 284296
View attachment 284297
Oh wow!

I have a "moon in my room" wall light and have given them as presents to pretty much every newborn I've known for the last 5 or 6 years (that isn't as many newborns as it might sound).

Likes dlgoff
Afghanistan peace negotiations.
1623451389783.png

(Not my photo.)

Likes rsk and morrobay
IMG_20210613_134903.jpg

Likes BillTre, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person
This is one of today's facebook memories, the day I stepped out of the front door to go to school and found an elephant at the end of the lane.
I was living in Nepal at the time, and although I had seen this elephant a few times (it belonged to the zoo and they would take it out to eat leaves) it was the first time I'd seen it so close and practically outside my front door

i-X32W4kt-L.jpg

• Wow
Likes davenn, Astronuc, DennisN and 3 others
IMG_20210614_104523.jpg

Likes WindowSeat, DennisN and BillTre
Virga (precipitation falling from a cloud that evaporates or sublimates before reaching the ground).
S6300528.JPG

Likes collinsmark, DennisN, rsk and 2 others
Dock duck.

Or is it duck dock? I forget.

remaster-5x7dock_ducks_zpsurcdqkrt.jpg

Likes collinsmark, DennisN, rsk and 3 others
  • Haha
Likes DennisN
Keith_McClary said:
Virga (precipitation falling from a cloud that evaporates or sublimates before reaching the ground).
Very nice!

DaveC426913 said:
Dock duck.

Or is it duck dock? I forget.
If the pilings were made of hickory wood, it could be a hickory dickory duck.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, BillTre, rsk and 1 other person
IMG_20210619_130543.jpg

Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre and collinsmark
Another outside of a mall photo
IMG_20210623_110908.jpg

Likes collinsmark, rsk and DennisN
Not exactly random, they kind of follow on from the flowers growing through concrete.

Four photos of the same fence.

This tree seemed to have a gap cut in the fence for it
i-2fHRXN6-L.jpg

The fence keeper (?) showing some foresight here
i-fzwZnPk-L.jpg

And yet, for some reason, not here
i-KbcgTS8-L.jpg

And (almost) finally here one which must have grown too far out of the fence and was chopped down, but is now doing that thing trees do - when you think they're dead and finished, the green starts to appear again
i-p5WThCX-L.jpg
And here, 11000 km away and several years ago. The bench has put up a good fight but it's cracking so I'm calling this one for the tree
i-KtMqC3L-L.jpg

H

Likes DennisN
We've never owned a cat, but we don't need to, because we're often visited by our neighbo(u)rs' cats.

cat-carport.jpg

Likes Math100, collinsmark, rsk and 1 other person
Some random-color combinations
IMG_20210624_110117.jpg

Likes rsk and DennisN
jtbell said:
We've never owned a cat, but we don't need to, because we're often visited by our neighbo(u)rs' cats.

View attachment 284944
That cat is really stretching the definition of 'sitting in a box'.

jtbell said:
owned a cat
A friend took in a stray cat. It would go away for long periods. She attached a note to it and found out it had three "owners".

• Haha
Likes berkeman and rsk
Extreme telephotography:

I recently tried out my vintage Tokina 400 mm tele lens on very distant objects for fun, just to try it.
I have never photographed such distant objects (on Earth) except for maybe some clouds or mountains. One of the problems with photographing very distant objects is the huge amount of warm air between the camera and target, which distorts the light and thus the image.

Here is the Öresund Bridge photographed from ca 10 km (6.2 miles) away:

Öresundsbron (Tokina 400mm) - v1m1.jpg

And here is a ship photographed from ca 6 km (3.7 miles) away (I'm not exactly sure about the distance, I estimated it later using a map):

Fartyg 1.JPG

Also, here are two photos taken with my newly acquired Russian vintage Helios 44M-7 lens, which is a very fun lens to experiment with. Under the right conditions it can produce what is called "swirly" bokeh (background blur), as in this photo:

Trädgren 12.jpg

Here is another one taken with the Helios lens, using a very narrow depth of field:

Lövbuske.JPG

And a daisy, recently taken with my Canon FD 50mm lens:

Daisy.jpg

Likes collinsmark, DrClaude, rsk and 4 others
DennisN said:
problems with photographing very distant objects is the huge amount of warm air between the camera and target, which distorts the light and thus the image.
Funny you mention this. Just today, out sailing, me bro an me saw this black rectangle across the lake (left).

I surmised it had to be a large ship, heavily distorted by atmo (We don't tend to get container ships here in inland waterways). Me bro was skeptical. We decided it would be fun to go see, so we deployed "the iron spinnaker" and headed across.

We only got a few km closer before the mirage vanished and our quarry was revealed:

1624669845481.png

Canon G15 - f3.5 1/2000 ISO 80
(I am disappointed that the EXIF data does not tell me actual the zoom factor. It says 30.5mm but I was near max optical Telephoto: 140mm)

The pic on left was taken at approx point A, and the right at approx point B. They're only a few km apart, but it's a 40km distance across the lake:
1624670868206.png
*BTW, notice in the side-by-side photos, the huge difference in apparent height of the escarpment behind the ship.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude, davenn, rsk and 5 others
Conifer pollen:
S6300536.JPG

Poplar seeds:
S6300543.JPG

poplar.png

Last edited:
Likes davenn, rsk, DennisN and 2 others
Keith_McClary said:
View attachment 284417
Abandoned Grassy Mountain coal mine.
Edit:
Five years ago an Australian company applied to reopen this. Just last week (June 18, 2021):

what a wonderful piece of geology ... a whole lesson or two in what is going on there

davenn said:
what a wonderful piece of geology ... a whole lesson or two in what is going on there
I need the geological terminology for "skooshed".

IMG20210703051456.jpg

Likes rsk
IMG_20210624_090542.jpg

Likes rsk
morrobay said:
Oh, I haven't seen the sea for soooo long! There is sea quite close to where I am now, but our Covid numbers are on the rise and I'm wary of public transport.

Well good timing, Just got back from afternoon beach walk. The island offshore is where the #1op photo is.
IMG_20210703_145015.jpg
IMG_20210703_144307.jpg

Likes DennisN and rsk
Vandalism on a footbridge nearby. There's physics in there... is that surface tension effects?
Is it just that the paint prevents the water being absorbed?

i-WxBHQJT-L.jpg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, DennisN and Keith_McClary