Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #2,066
collinsmark said:
Ok, back to the Lily Pond.

This time I learned my lesson and set everything to manual. Manual-ISO, manual exposure (shutter speed and aperture), manual focus. Everything exposure and focus related.

View attachment 348062
Figure 1. Lily Pond again. This time with an airplane. At least I got the f-stop right this time.
Leica SL3
Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH
(ISO-640, F/8, 1/500 sec)

I decided to boost the ISO a little, thus allowing me to reduce the shutter speed, to sharply capture the airplane. They were coming in about once ever minute or two.

By the way, if you ever happen to fly into San Diego and have a starboard side window seat, you can see Balboa Park pretty clearly soon before you land.

The Leica glass did an excellent job with the sharpness. This scene is notoriously unforgiving in terms of chromatic aberrations. Something about the palm trees against the blue sky at this time of day tends to amplify any color limitations of lenses. This scene right here is one of main reasons I switched to the Leica system instead of sticking with my Nikkor lenses. Was it worth it? I don't know, but the Leica APO-lenses do hold up well.

I also redid that walkway photo, this time using a 50 mm lens instead of the 35 mm. The 50 mm lens offers a little more compression (relatively speaking). I'm not sure which photo I like better, but here it is.

View attachment 348061
Figure 2. El Prado walkway, this time with a 50 mm lens.
Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH (ISO-100, f/8, 1/30 sec, handheld)

I took a load of other pictures too, but most didn't turn out well. So I won't post them. Anyway, here's some flowers:

View attachment 348059
Figure 3. Flowers in the Alcázar Garden.
Same 50 mm lens (ISO-100, f/2, 1/2500 sec)

I decided to stick around to see what photo opportunities the park had to offer after dark.

Here's the Lily Pond again at twilight. Also taken with the 50 mm lens this time. (This is nice that I don't have to do this at any particular time of year. All the lighting here is artificial, except for some residual skylight.) The bottom of the camera was touching the railing for a bit of stability. I also had image stabilization turned on.

View attachment 348063
Figure 4. Lily Pond at twilight.
Same 50 mm lens (ISO-400, f/5, 0.4 sec, handheld [with the help of a railing for support])

I took a couple dozen images before deciding on this one. That duck in the middle of the image is very photogenically affable. All the other ducks swam around back and forth, but that middle duck posed in the center for quite awhile, as if he knew it was his place to be in the photo.

Also, notice the clouds coming in, reminding me that my telescope will not be in use for yet another night. Again.

On the way back to the car I had to stop and take a photo of these pillars.

View attachment 348060
Figure 5. Pillars near Casa Del Prado.
Same 50 mm lens. (ISO-40000, f/5, 1/100 sec, handheld)

I don't know what it is about this scene, but it captivates me. I think the palm fronds in the immediate foreground, the shadows of the palm fronds on the pillar, and the hand-railing to the left all play nicely together. As a matter of fact, Lily Pond be damned, I think this is my favorite photo of the day.

(All photos posted here were touched up, at least a little, in Lightroom.)

Those are absolutely stunning... Especially the second one. Well done :)

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,067
IMG_20240711_085128.jpg
IMG_20240711_083658.jpg
IMG_20240711_083239.jpg

Chinatown, Central Park, Washington Square

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Rive, DennisN, jtbell and 2 others
  • #2,068
morrobay said:
Chinatown, Central Park, Washington Square
The candidness of the last photo is amazing. It's a quintessential, authentic, NYC moment.

Likes DennisN and jtbell
  • #2,069
On a recent weekend trip to North Carolina, I stopped to see the wind-driven kinetic sculptures of Vollis Simpson. He called them simply "windmills", but his fans started calling them "whirligigs", and that name stuck. A park in the town of Wilson displays a collection of them.

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

• Love
Likes Rive, DennisN, morrobay and 4 others
  • #2,070
Reminds me of the Twister movie.

• #2,071
BillTre said:
Reminds me of the Twister movie.
No tornadoes, but it was hot. I lasted only about 10 minutes outside, then sat in my car for a while with the a/c running full blast so I could stop sweating before I hit the road again.

IMG_4760.jpg

• #2,072
There were a lot to of wind chimes in a scene in the Twister movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,073
“Take that, squirrels. Good luck raiding the bird feeder on the deck now!”
IMG_3298.jpeg

Likes collinsmark, DennisN and BillTre
  • #2,074
Flyboy said:
View attachment 348277
The squirrels will find a way!

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #2,075
BillTre said:
And once they do, we’ll combat that too.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,076
I'd prefer my co-mammals over dinosaurs at any time.

Likes BillTre
  • #2,077
fresh_42 said:
I'd prefer my co-mammals over dinosaurs at any time.
What about birds?

• #2,078
Flyboy said:
It's probably best just to get a squirrel-proof bird feeder (there are several kinds). Squirrels around us just climb nearby tall trees behind our house, drop onto our roof, then make their way to the front of the house to drop down onto the balcony. Once they are done on the balcony, they launch off to land in treetops in the front of our house.

We have a bird feeder similar to this one:

1720889677643.png

https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Outdoors-Hanging-Protection-Capacity/dp/B0CCDL8JS6?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes BillTre
  • #2,079
BillTre said:
What about birds?
They counts as dinos.

• #2,080
Flyboy said:
View attachment 348277

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgflip.com%2F1gyvn3.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Rive, DennisN, jtbell and 2 others
  • #2,081
berkeman said:
It's probably best just to get a squirrel-proof bird feeder (there are several kinds). Squirrels around us just climb nearby tall trees behind our house, drop onto our roof, then make their way to the front of the house to drop down onto the balcony. Once they are done on the balcony, they launch off to land in treetops in the front of our house.

We have a bird feeder similar to this one:

View attachment 348278
https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Outdoors-Hanging-Protection-Capacity/dp/B0CCDL8JS6?tag=pfamazon01-20
Problem is that it’s a tray feeder, not a hanging type. (Girlfriend loves the doves it brings.) The roof is basically inaccessible, as it’s a 3-story townhouse that is less than a decade old, so the decorative trees haven’t grown high enough for the squirrels to reach the roof.

Every bit of evidence says they’ve been climbing up the posts to get onto the deck, so we’re taking a page from the rural power companies and wrapping sheet metal around the posts so they can’t grab hold. So far, it seems to be working, but it’s only been a week.

• #2,082
Got any flying squirrels around there?

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Rive and DennisN
  • #2,083
BillTre said:
Got any flying squirrels around there?

Nope. It’s Iowa, so the only flying squirrels are the ones getting launched via catapults by irritated and/or bored folks out in farm country. 😂

• #2,084
So squirrel-launching is the new cow-tipping?

• #2,085
Less likely to cause injury, that’s for sure.

• #2,086
Today I visited the TVA's Wilbur Dam near Johnson City TN.

IMG_0526.jpeg

The lake behind it looks like a nice fishing spot.

IMG_0528.jpeg

I was actually on my way to visit the much larger Watauga Dam a few miles further upstream. It turned out to be a one-mile round trip hike from the visitor center to a viewpoint overlooking the dam, and another mile to the dam itself. In 90-degree heat? No thanks. I did get some nice views of Watauga Lake.

IMG_0530.jpeg

Likes pinball1970, Rive, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #2,087
Flyboy said:
View attachment 348277
IMG_20240714_074845.jpg

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, Rive and jack action
  • #2,088
BillTre said:

Flyboy said:

Remember what Jeff Goldblum said :smile: :

Likes pinball1970, jack action and BillTre
  • #2,089
Night/day photos of a large lantern at the Cleveland Zoo's Asian Lantern Festival:

Montage.jpg

Both shot w/ Nikon D810 + Zeiss 15/2.8 @ f/5.6, 1/30s auto ISO.

Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, morrobay and 3 others
  • #2,090
Some shots from May and June this year...

A young Chihuahua:
Chihuahua (4).jpg

A Siberian Husky:
Siberian husky (3) (Sony 55-210mm).jpg

Ivy:
Murgröna (1) (Yashica 35mm).jpg

Hollyhocks in the city:
City flowers (1) (Yashica 35mm).jpg

Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, morrobay and 4 others
  • #2,091
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Rive and 4 others
  • #2,092
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #2,093
A metal ladder wash up . This is from a pontoon platform for swimmers that broke loose from winds in Jomtien beach.
IMG_20240718_164709.jpg
IMG_20240718_164605.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark, Rive, pinball1970 and 2 others
  • #2,094
Yorkshire today, the lovely Hebden Bridge. I will try and get different spots to last time.

• #2,095
The Queen of Ice Cream along Jomtien Beach
IMG_20240721_170542.jpg
IMG_20240721_170807.jpg

IMG20240530110644.jpg

Likes collinsmark, docnet, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #2,096
pinball1970 said:
Yorkshire today, the lovely Hebden Bridge. I will try and get different spots to last time.
Well that did not work out. I did get a few near the station then played with the light to give them a Victorian feel.

IMG_20240720_110929_935.jpg
IMG_20240720_112343_539.jpg
IMG_20240720_112404_824.jpg
IMG_20240720_110807_903~2.jpg

Likes collinsmark, BillTre, docnet and 1 other person
  • #2,097
Why did the turtle cross the street?

IMG_0532.jpeg

Maybe it was looking for its sandals.

IMG_0534.jpeg

Likes collinsmark and BillTre