Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
I was searching for the name of an American sitcom. I didn't even remember its German title, let alone the original one. Then I thought about how I could find it on imdb.com remembering almost nothing. Well, I started with "Ghost Whisperer" and ended with "Unhappily Ever After", which was the answer I was looking for.

Can anybody follow that association chain of length 4 or am I ripe for one of those jackets that zips up at the back.?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Can anybody follow that association chain of length 4 or am I ripe for one of those jackets that zips up at the back.?
Shorter chains won't swing; use the loonnnggg ones, always...you/I got lots of memory to manage.

Likes fresh_42
Bystander said:
Shorter chains won't swing; use the loonnnggg ones, always...you/I got lots of memory to manage.
The sad thing about that chain was that it came down to a very, very basic instinct. (Hint: the last word of my previous sentence contains all letters that are necessary to describe it. And they definitely swing!)

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
fresh_42 said:
The sad thing about that chain was that it came down to a very, very basic instinct. (Hint: the last word of my previous sentence contains all letters that are necessary to describe it. And they definitely swing!)
Been managing my movie/history/military trivia; tie Michael Berryman to Vincent Schiavelli to ....

Bystander said:
Been managing my movie/history/military trivia; tie Michael Berryman to Vincent Schiavelli to ....
My chain was Ghost Whisperer > Jay Mohr > Nikki Cox > Unhappily Ever After.
(champ of useless knowledge)

Follow-up.
Tom.G said:
Here in the USA, calling someone a 'Jerk' generally implies that the accused lacks in both rational thinking and knowledge.

The most likely reactions are: raised voices, the accused leaves the situation and avoids you in the future, or somewhat strenuous physical contact occurs.

The accusation is generally serious enough that even after apoligizing, the two of you are not likely to have a serious conversation.

A somewhat 'softer' wording would be "Don't act like a jerk." That, at least, doesn't directly impugn their personality.

Accusing someone of actually being a Jerk, I would rate a 6 or 7 out of 10 for severity.

That's my take anyhow.

Cheers,
Tom
That is a definition for a male-on-male interaction.

A "jerk" accusation could also be triggered for a male-on-female for (some would argue) a less severe interaction.

A man starts buying drinks for a woman in a bar. He runs a tab for the drinks (charges them on his local account with the bartender). Later he decides to leave alone without paying for the drinks, leaving the woman to pay-up.

Another example would be a man notices a woman that intrigues him while shopping at a local store and decides to start a conversation. By the third sentence he is inviting her over to his home.

Both of those examples would definitely qualify him as a "jerk" in most circles.

Neither would likely trigger any physical aggression but the label would be quite appropriate.

These cases I would rate a 3 or 4 out of 10 severity -- however that opinion may differ if females are rating the severity.

Cheers,
Tom

This is too small to create a thread about.

How would you do an inline reference to a book in a report? I use critical values from one book and one book only (unless otherwise specified) and want to specify it in my experimental to avoid having to cite all the time. I was thinking [book title] [edition] [year] [ref], where [ref] refers to the bibliography with the full book details (authors, isbn, all that). This is just a university project, not a final thesis or article draft.

Exams? Completed it mate.🫡

Officially retired from Physics. (Thank God)

Likes fresh_42
gmax137 said:
I didn't like Excel when I first started using it (being a LOTUS123 man myself). But after awhile, yes, yes, it is an amazing tool.

I once checked a co-workers analysis results. He spent a couple weeks writing a PERL script to do the calculations; I spent two days writing an Excel sheet that gave identical results. He was shocked.
I was surprised to know someone who was doing an Excel ( otherwise unqualified) internship. Didn't think they existed. Didn't get a chance to speak to him beyond that. Wonder what it may have been about.

Tom.G said:
Follow-up.

That is a definition for a male-on-male interaction.

A "jerk" accusation could also be triggered for a male-on-female for (some would argue) a less severe interaction.

A man starts buying drinks for a woman in a bar. He runs a tab for the drinks (charges them on his local account with the bartender). Later he decides to leave alone without paying for the drinks, leaving the woman to pay-up.

Another example would be a man notices a woman that intrigues him while shopping at a local store and decides to start a conversation. By the third sentence he is inviting her over to his home.

Both of those examples would definitely qualify him as a "jerk" in most circles.

Neither would likely trigger any physical aggression but the label would be quite appropriate.

These cases I would rate a 3 or 4 out of 10 severity -- however that opinion may differ if females are rating the severity.

Cheers,
Tom
Score will likely be inversely proportional to the ( perceived) attractiveness of the man.

Weird. Took home a glass of Pepsi with ice from a meet. I let it sit for a couple of hours, then, I saw it again, it had this slightly slimy but solid pinkish , substance
somewhat of the consistency of a commercial ( i.e., not home-made) slice of turkey in the bottom of the glass, but slimier, comes appart at the touch.
20240611_235815.jpg

In the lower right. Packaging is just so I could take the pic. No idea what it could be. Google reverse images wasn't useful. Not something appealing to find in a drink. Smell is weak, hard to identify.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark
Don't build on unstable ground!

Part of Wyoming highway collapses in landslide, blocking crucial transit route
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teton-...de-block-crucial-commuter-route-jackson-hole/

‼ IMPORTANT TETON PASS UPDATE ‼ Teton Pass road closure continues, interim detour plannedWYDOT Teton County closed access to Wyoming State Highway 22/ Teton Pass due to a landslide at milepost 12.8 and a mudslide at milepost 15. Commuters have been asked to detour around using US 26 through Swan Valley and then into the Snake River Canyon. WYDOT crews are currently evaluating the stability of the area and investigating adjacent areas for potential safety hazards. This is being considered an extended closure, and there currently is no estimated opening date. WYDOT crews have been working closely with other agencies and partners to secure the area and explore potential interim access, as well as long term reconstruction options. Currently, WYDOT geologists and engineers are confident they can build a safe, temporary detour around the slide area using local fill material and paving two temporary lanes. . . .

Likes BillTre
Mayhem said:
How would you do an inline reference to a book in a report? I use critical values from one book and one book only (unless otherwise specified) and want to specify it in my experimental to avoid having to cite all the time. I was thinking [book title] [edition] [year] [ref], where [ref] refers to the bibliography with the full book details (authors, isbn, all that). This is just a university project, not a final thesis or article draft.
Does this help? https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide/citation-guide-2.html

Slowly but surely it is getting frightening, weird, eerie!

I thought - yes, thought! - yesterday of how difficult a mate with knight and bishop is and that I would probably offer a draw. Today, I found that in my FB feed:

Likes OmCheeto and collinsmark
Read about someone who drinks their first daily urine, on the grounds it contains healthy nutrients, cells.

fresh_42 said:
Slowly but surely it is getting frightening, weird, eerie!

I thought - yes, thought! - yesterday of how difficult a mate with knight and bishop is and that I would probably offer a draw. Today, I found that in my FB feed:

You're manifesting!

How could this be?
According to the Montenegrin public broadcaster RTCG, Sarkic woke up early on Saturday morning at around 6:00 a.m. and felt ill. Friends called an ambulance, but Sarkic died at around 6:30 a.m. The evening before, he had met up with friends and eaten in a restaurant.
Sarkic was 26 and a professional goalkeeper in England's second division. (Millwall, Counting EPL as first.)

And before the witch hunt starts:
https://www.eurosport.de/fussball/c...ltorhuter-noch-unklar_sto20011139/story.shtml

I am a capitalist when it comes to my income and a communist when it comes to my expenses.

Mayhem said:
I am a capitalist when it comes to my income and a communist when it comes to my expenses.
I know a few guys whose wives are the opposite.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and OmCheeto
Seems the cheapest and most basic " Intelligent Toilets", which chemically analyze the stool, start at $300, with higher end models going upwards of €8,000. Would be awkward if it gave the results verbally. More so if 3rd parties heard the results not knowing where they came from.

Got an A on my final exam. Now it's just projects and thesis work for the next year and half. Still want to pursue a Ph.d but my grade average isnt that great.

Likes Borg and fresh_42
Wow, a new AI that scans your assignment and prints out an answer. Also charges $47 for lifetime use. Lucky I'm not teaching/grading at this point.

Mayhem said:
Got an A on my final exam. Now it's just projects and thesis work for the next year and half. Still want to pursue a Ph.d but my grade average isnt that great.
Undergrad thesis?

WWGD said:
Undergrad thesis?
In principle master's. System here is bachelors -> master's -> Ph.d

i.e. a masters is required by law to come into consideration for a Ph.d position.

Would Godel have been a member of SAA; Society Against Abbreviations?

Can you write this: ... are cum grano salis all from the last century. in English? Or should I say more or less?

Welll... I suppose you could. Doesn't seem to make much sense as presented, Google translates 'cum grano salis' as 'with a grain of salt', which is a perfectly useful phrase here in the States.

The phrase implies that (what was just presented/ is about to be presented) is of questionable veracity; rather in the same way as salt being used to cover the taste of slightly spoiled food, often meat.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes fresh_42 and gmax137
Tom.G said:
Doesn't seem to make much sense as presented
The entire sentence is
The main contributions from Steinitz, Galois, Artin, Noether, Zariski, Hilbert, van der Waerden, Grothendiek, and not forget Andrew Wiles, are cum grano salis all from the last century.

I intend to say "all but a one", 99%, or "mainly". But "mainly" and "more or less" don't express "all but one". We use the Latin version since "mit einem Korn Salz" doesn't sound well in German. However, we don't have a problem with the Latin word for "with" because we pronounce it as it should be as [uĚź], a short form of "oo" and not [É‘].

Lately, I've seen a lot of nasty debates between electric and gas-powered cars. Apparently, one offers more for less money and the other can actually take you where you want in a timely fashion. People driving the other type just love wasting money or just don't expect to go where they want, when they want.

How come we never heard such strong emotive debates about electric vs gas-powered mowers?

If you are satisfied with what you have, how does it matter what others have chosen? Why try to laugh at them or humiliate them?

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, OmCheeto and BillTre
jack action said:
If you are satisfied with what you have, how does it matter what others have chosen? Why try to laugh at them or humiliate them?

I bet most if not all of them have forgotten ...

re_d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran_2016-10-14_%C3%A0_21.26.28.png

Gustave Trouvé, 1881, electric car.

And I have still no idea why that one ...

330px-Jamais_contente.jpg

didn't become a trend!

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
jack action said:
We live in uncertain times. People seek certainty. So people who are worried about Russia or China or climate change or the other political party or whatever clutch at trivial decisions as Absolutely Objectively Right. Only a fool would disagree with my choice of car, even if their circumstances were completely different.

That's my theory, anyway. And if you disagree that's obviously a moral failing on your part. :wink:

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, WWGD, Tom.G and 3 others
This is why I like Scottish football fans!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
jack action said:
Lately,...
Lately?
Ah! Hahahahaha!

You should start a thread on this topic. I'm sure it would get thousands of posts and last for years.

I can think of several reasons off the top of my head.
1. They were raised that way.
2. This is normal in their society.*
3. They are very old. ie, that's the way people treated each other in the olden days.
4. They have insecurity issues.
5. etc, etc, etc.

*The other day, one of the late night talk shows commented about the jury members of a recent New York City felony trial and said something to the effect that if they don't use the f-bomb as a noun, verb, and adjective against you in a single sentence, then they probably like you.

Example;
"You stupid [bleep]ing [bleep]head, how the [bleep] could anyone [bleep] something up as [bleep]ing much as you, you tiny brained, [bleep]-faced moron."
{Spoken with the voice of Joe Pesci}

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G
The entire sentence is

The main contributions from Steinitz, Galois, Artin, Noether, Zariski, Hilbert, van der Waerden, Grothendiek, and not forget Andrew Wiles, are cum grano salis all from the last century.
It looks like you want to say that their contributions were based on the knowledge available in their time.

Or maybe that they made some small contributions, and therefore are not very important.

Or maybe that considering the state of scientific knowledge they had to work with, they were true giants in history.

As you can tell, based on the information you have posted so far, I can not really tell what you are trying to express.

Cheers,
Tom