Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
fresh_42 said:
True. Shouldn't they at least place their logo somewhere?
Hopefully it's not a Logo Fail ;).

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I find TV ads most annoying
It's already for almost 15 years now that we no longer have a TV. Partly due the increasing amount of ADs and the decreasing general quality.

Every time we stay in a hotel and switch on the one for the room we conclude that we were sooo right to give it up o0)

• Haha
Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
Rive said:
It's already for almost 15 years now that we no longer have a TV. Partly due the increasing amount of ADs and the decreasing general quality.

Every time we stay in a hotel and switch on the one for the room we conclude that we were sooo right to give it up o0)
Weird. That's when I gave up TV. Being single, it's just as easy to watch programs on my laptop. One of my lady friends used to own a spare house at the coast and a bunch of us would spend a week there every year. On one occasion I got the deluxe room with a tv and cable. 500 channels, and nothing worth watching. I do still have a TV, but haven't turned it on in probably a decade. It's one of those old fashioned tube types.

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, WWGD and 1 other person
OmCheeto said:
Weird. That's when I gave up TV. Being single, it's just as easy to watch programs on my laptop. One of my lady friends used to own a spare house at the coast and a bunch of us would spend a week there every year. On one occasion I got the deluxe room with a tv and cable. 500 channels, and nothing worth watching. I do still have a TV, but haven't turned it on in probably a decade. It's one of those old fashioned tube types.
There was too, this weird situation that you have some 500 channels and a TV guide. You start browsing through the guide, and by the time you find something you like, you're a good 10-15 minutes into the hour , and so any show is ruined for you until the end of the hour.

It seems when I try to instruct newcomers on wrapping text, I run into a " Do not say the name Jehova" type of situation when giving examples on the wrapping.

Quit my project today. Well, I decided that I was done. Now I just have to write a report. Then I got moderately drunk.

God I am never doing work for the engineering faculty again. Nearly killed me.

It read " Caitlin's Fever wins!"
Ok, weird, but "Fever" is the name of a team.

DrGreg said:
The map looks quite straight, not much deviation.
Not by what I get from ...
1720804602598.png

The expectation value is a blueish red (195 red, 60 blue), like
1720804443958.png
with a standard deviation of 52.6/255 on red and 94.3/255 on blue. The grey data were insufficient so I neglected them.

My local is playing a live Jimi Hendrix concert on the PA. This is not a rock pub, it is Holts, what we call an 'Old man' pub.
Perfect antidote to pre final anxiety.

Likes ergospherical, DennisN and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Good luck tomorrow!

Likes collinsmark, ergospherical, pinball1970 and 2 others
Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 7.18.25 AM.png

• Haha
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, Astronuc, DennisN and 5 others
pinball1970 said:
The final starts in less than an hour. How's the anxiety? :biggrin:
I have made a bet with my dad regarding the match result (we have made some bets during the championship just for fun).

DennisN said:
I have made a bet with my dad regarding the match result (we have made some bets during the championship just for fun).
Anxiety high, expectations low which is a reversal of this morning's feeling.
Kick off in 27 Minutes.
I'm arguing with Fresh regarding Judy Garland v Eva Cassidy, a nice deflection.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Anxiety high, expectations low which is a reversal of this morning's feeling.
Kick off in 27 Minutes.
I'm arguing with Fresh regarding Judy Garland v Eva Cassidy, a nice deflection.
... and you abbreviated Judy Garland by JD. Judy Deflection?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
How hard is it to find hidden devices ( YouTube; I was bored)? Just check the local network see what's connected to it. Block other ( cellular) access.Block access to your place, so any batteries die out. Shouldn't that filter out a good 90%

DennisN said:
At first I thought these were students taking an exam.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
WWGD said:
At first I thought these were students taking an exam.
Don't mention the match.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes ergospherical and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Don't mention the match.
I won't either mention Jehova. Nor mention the Math.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
WWGD said:
I won't either mention Jehova. Nor mention the Math.
get-stoned.gif

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Getting stoned; albeit in a different sense, will help lower anxiety.;).

WWGD said:
Getting stoned; albeit in a different sense, will help lower anxiety.;).
Depends. It is quite nasty, but on the other hand, if you're a coyote in the Grand Canyon ...

fresh_42 said:
Depends. It is quite nasty, but on the other hand, if you're a coyote in the Grand Canyon ...
Yes ; Ive heard of shamans saying it should be practiced with care. Albeit Peyote for the coyote may work.

fresh_42 said:
Don't mention the match.
Spain were better and deserved the win. No doubt about that.

To propagate trees and green surfaces, a set of local rules were made to protect them. Consequently, it's almost impossible to legally remove even really problematic trees.

Result? Less and less people dares to plant any trees, to prevent future legal problems :frown:

pinball1970 said:
Yes, but England played very well, and they were very close to an equalizer at the end.
I hoped England would score so there would be extra time, because I enjoyed the match very much. :smile:

There is absolutely no shame in losing against Spain. They had an extraordinary team and won every single match in the championship.

And, hey, I'm from Sweden and we didn't even qualify. We would have been crushed in the championship.

Edit:

And congratulations to the second place, by the way! It's no small feat.
Both my dad and I thought it would be Spain vs Germany in the final, but those two teams battled it out already in a quarter-final.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I found it closer. My observation was that England had technical deficits in one-contact football. I saw a couple of chances where they failed because they had chosen to take another pass or tried to put the ball into a better position instead of shooting directly. Playing like Spain against Spain wasn't the best idea. They might have had a better chance if they had played the good old English style.

Likes pinball1970
Why never " Physics from Itch"?.

A bunch of people in my office are getting moved to another building. I'm staying but someone decided that I have to move into the next seat over - probably because they didn't want to adjust their planned seating chart. :rolleyes:

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
55 years this week Apollo 11 landed on the moon. With all the Space x crazy stuff plus the first Ariane 6 launch I wanted to compare footage.
Even today the 1969 footage is really amazing. The fact it is slow motion just adds to the coolness.
See the amount of debris? Wow.

Anyway, not worth a thread but certainly worth a mention.

Apollo 11

Space x last month.

Ariane 6 last week

Likes collinsmark, WWGD and phinds
I thought I had inadvertently walked into the NFL until I realized I was standing right in front of the men's room , with people desperate for a urinal.

Pretty bizarre, due to careless misreading. Free trial! Somehow, for a second, I thought it was a legal trial. Are they suing me for free? Then coffee kicked in.

• Haha
Likes jack action