Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,571
If I'm not mistaken, "marcen borkowski" translates as "Borek?"

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,572
zoobyshoe said:
If I'm not mistaken, "marcen borkowski" translates as "Borek?"

You are not mistaken.

That is, you made a spelling mistake :wink:

• #3,573
Borek said:
You are not mistaken.

That is, you made a spelling mistake :wink:
I think what this means is, you are the author of this book. If so, congratulations!

Likes Borek
  • #3,574
Borek said:
In Polish, so hardly readable for most of you, but it just hit the shelves here. Published by a small, but reasonably reputable publishing house.
A collection of nine short stories, sharing characters, and set mostly in the Zoliborz region of Warsaw in communist times, according to Google Translate.

Congratulations.

Likes Borek
  • #3,575
Borek said:
In Polish, so hardly readable for most of you, but it just hit the shelves here. Published by a small, but reasonably reputable publishing house.

odwlekane_porzadki.jpg

Congrats!

Please say you have an English version coming out :woot:!

Likes Borek
  • #3,576
Yes, if there's no English version, I won't ever be able to say this to him:

Likes Borg and lisab
  • #3,577
WWGD said:
Twilight Zone marathon for new years' eve, including the more recent ones in color (which I actually like more than the older, black-and-white ones). Despite enjoying socializing, I have somehow turned into a loner , and a TV marathon and some good food, caffeine is like a small party. Should be fun, although I may have to decide between different programming marathons (I think there is also one on Burn Notice, but they seem to have those almost monthly): life is so hard!
The most important point is to live with it. If you are sensitive to heat, then just feel free to heat yourself up openly (back and forth). You like me ? then accept me.
Over here and on FB I will grow vegies.

• #3,578
Silicon Waffle said:
The most important point is to live with it. If you are sensitive to heat, then just feel free to heat yourself up openly (back and forth). You like me ? then accept me.
Over here and on FB I will grow vegies.
Thanks, but I am one of the around 7 people in the world not in FB.

• #3,579
Kind of interesting to consider the relationship between one's mental state and the
condition of one's office/room/apartment : when one is sharp and has it together, it is clean and organized, and when one's condition is more confused, it reflects as messiness in one's physical environment. But more interesting to me is what happens the other way around, when one organizes one's place, this may help clear up one's mind. Of course, it is hard, since one starts with a state of confusion, but I wonder what effect his cleaning and organizing may have on one's mental state.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,580
WWGD said:
when one is sharp and has it together, it is clean and organized, and when one's condition is more confused, it reflects as messiness in one's physical environment.

Hmm. I know of many examples to the contrary. Perhaps there's a correlation, but I estimate only a loose one.

But more interesting to me is what happens the other way around, when one organizes one's place, this may help clear up one's mind. Of course, it is hard, since one starts with a state of confusion, but I wonder what effect his cleaning and organizing may have on one's mental state.

You might be onto something there. I would sometimes do cleaning as a form of procrastination. My apartment/room/office was often spotless during finals week or when a project deadline was imminent.

• #3,581
collinsmark said:
Hmm. I know of many examples to the contrary. Perhaps there's a correlation, but I estimate only a loose one.
You might be onto something there. I would sometimes do cleaning as a form of procrastination. My apartment/room/office was often spotless during finals week or when a project deadline was imminent.

Wonder if one could define a sort of measure of entropy in the environment and correlate it with mental state. Maybe some brain wavelengths also correlate with states of mind.

• #3,582
I was overhearing the song : " I am dreaming of a white christmas..."

Keep dreaming, it is 57 degrees out, expecting 71 deg for christmas day.

• #3,583
WWGD said:

Yes, I have been waiting for that day since many months ago. What can I do with 71 ?:DD

• #3,584
Silicon Waffle said:
Yes, I have been waiting for that day since many months ago. What can I do with 71 ?:DD

Yes, it seems we may end up with a mild spring...er, I mean winter.

• #3,585
WWGD said:
Yes, it seems we may end up with a mild spring...er, I mean winter.
Still it's better than a cold winter, I don't need a enjoyable spring at 57, 71 is clearly warmer and sure works better mentally.

• #3,586
Silicon Waffle said:
Still it's better than a cold winter, I don't need a enjoyable spring at 57, 71 is clearly warmer and sure works better mentally.
I agree, unfortunately there are environmental problems that result from such a warm winter. Otherwise, it would be great.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,587
What a pleasantly bizarre week.

Likes zoobyshoe
  • #3,588
WWGD said:

You might as well be in San Diego.

I keep hearing these jazz versions of Christmas carols from the early 1960's. They're awful. I don't understand what those people were thinking.

Likes jim hardy
  • #3,589
zoobyshoe said:
You might as well be in San Diego.

I keep hearing these jazz versions of Christmas carols from the early 1960's. They're awful. I don't understand what those people were thinking.

EDIT:Besides, white christmases* , snow is fun when you look at it from a window far away, or in a postcard. Or maybe I have the wrong attitude.*Is there a standard plural for christmas?

Last edited:
  • #3,590
WWGD said:
Besides, white christmases* , snow are fun when you look at them from a window far away, or in a postcard.
Or maybe I have the wrong attitude.*Is there a standard plural for christmas?
"Christmases."

Also, it should be, "Snow IS fun when you look at IT from a window..."

• #3,591
zoobyshoe said:
"Christmases."

Also, it should be, "Snow IS fun when you look at IT from a window..."

Yes, I don't know where I got the snow are fun from. Let me edit it (NOT let me edit THEM, etc.) .

• #3,592
They deleted that Russian crackpot thread too quickly, didn't even have time to appreciate it.

• #3,593
HomogenousCow said:
They deleted that Russian crackpot thread too quickly, didn't even have time to appreciate it.
It was pretty good as far as crackpots go. I must say that I've never seen one trying to go back in time to save Marilyn Monroe before. :oldtongue:

• #3,594
Borg said:
It was pretty good as far as crackpots go. I must say that I've never seen one trying to go back in time to save Marilyn Monroe before. :oldtongue:
I only google translated the first part, does he really go on to talk about Monroe?

edit: okay I see it now, my bad.

• #3,595
You really shouldn't repost his link. His Objective at the end was to save her. I don't read russian so I guessed that he wanted to go back in time.

• #3,596
Deleted the link. The bad translation makes it even better.

• #3,597
HomogenousCow said:
What a pleasantly bizarre week.

But I think that even "bizarrerer" is the contrast between the last week of December and the 1st week of January, much more so than the contrast between the last week of a month and the first week of the subsequent month. And the 1st week of January is also weird by itself, on its own.

• #3,598
I'm reading about the Fast Inverse Square Root function and this is truly remarkable.

• #3,599
HomogenousCow said:
I'm reading about the Fast Inverse Square Root function and this is truly remarkable.
Isn't the inverse of the square root function just the squaring function?

• #3,600
Borek said:

odwlekane_porzadki.jpg
Congratulations. :bow:

Likes Borek
  • #3,601
lisab said:
Please say you have an English version coming out :woot:!
I remember just how self-conscious Borek was about his English when he first joined? :redface:

• #3,602
dlgoff said:
Congratulations. :bow:
Ditto. Next in line for literature Nobel prize?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,603
Likes Borek
  • #3,604
WWGD said:
Twilight Zone marathon for new years' eve, including the more recent ones in color (which I actually like more than the older, black-and-white ones). Despite enjoying socializing, I have somehow turned into a loner , and a TV marathon and some good food, caffeine is like a small party. Should be fun, although I may have to decide between different programming marathons (I think there is also one on Burn Notice, but they seem to have those almost monthly): life is so hard!

I actually hate that Netflix carries the complete twilight zone series. The marathons used to be this magical event. Now that I can watch it any time I want it's just not the same.

• #3,605
Borek said:

odwlekane_porzadki.jpg

Congrats!
Unfortunately the only polish I know is my last name, and even that is half German.

Likes Borek