Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,606
HomogenousCow said:
What a pleasantly bizarre week.

Thank you for saying it like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,607
dlgoff said:
I remember just how self-conscious Borek was about his English when he first joined? :redface:

You mean it has changed? :eek:

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,608
WWGD said:
Next in line for literature Nobel prize?

About as likely as FTL.

• #3,609
Borek said:
I think it was a good compliment :smile:

Likes Borek
  • #3,610
Borek said:
Your English, yes. Your self-consciousness, ...

Likes Borek
  • #3,611
dkotschessaa said:
I actually hate that Netflix carries the complete twilight zone series. The marathons used to be this magical event. Now that I can watch it any time I want it's just not the same.
Maybe the Burn Notice one is not out yet. That's a great one too.

• #3,612
Borek said:
About as likely as FTL.
Pretty amazing nonetheless. FTL?

• #3,613
WWGD said:
FTL?
Faster Than Light travel?

• #3,614
Borg said:
Faster Than Light travel?
I don't know, since FTL has no vowels, I thought it may be a Polish word, or a Polish name? You know, like
less likely than vrqw ?

• #3,615
It's a common lie there are no vowels in Polish. "Ala ma kota" - which is a first phrase I was taught how to write (Ala has a cat) has more vowels than consonants.

And yes, FTL = Faster Than Light.

• #3,616
Borek said:
It's a common lie there are no vowels in Polish. "Ala ma kota" - which is a first phrase I was taught how to write (Ala has a cat) has more vowels than consonants.

And yes, FTL = Faster Than Light.
Of course, it is an exaggeration, but seems vowels are less likely in Polish words than in English (middle of page):

http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~krynicki/my_pres/my_pres_6c.htm

• #3,617
I've been watching a lot of YouTubes about electronics and am often irritated to hear people pronouncing the word "solder" as if the "l" were supposed to be pronounced. It isn't. It's a silent "l." Also, some people pronounce LED as if it were the word "lead," as in the heavy metal: "So, let's now sold-er our lead to the terminals." In reality, it should be pronounced like this: "So, let's now soder our ell-ee-dee to the terminals."

Likes collinsmark, Silicon Waffle and dlgoff
  • #3,618
I wish I could photo (or otherwise) copy today's 71 degree weather with a very slight cold breeze and play it every single day. I guess it is OK to have the stores closing early and kin of empty streets for a contrast and then go back to the busier routine.

• #3,619
My 'Deleted Items' folder went from having around 514 items yesterday to 14 today.

• #3,620
WWGD said:
My 'Deleted Items' folder went from having around 514 items yesterday to 14 today.
?

• #3,621
Silicon Waffle said:
?

No kidding. No idea why Outlook decided to delete them all in a single shot.

• #3,622
I don't understand.

• #3,623
In Outlook, when you delete a program, it is not completely removed, but instead, it is sent to a folder called 'deleted' (similar to the way you can send files in your desktop to the 'Recycling Bin' , so that they are not immediately deleted). Outlook keeps these deleted files for some time, after which it actually deletes them . This time somehow it decided to delete a large chunk in a single shot, I am not clear on why it did so.

• #3,624
WWGD said:
In Outlook, when you delete a program, it is not completely removed, but instead, it is sent to a folder called 'deleted' (similar to the way you can send files in your desktop to the 'Recycling Bin' , so that they are not immediately deleted). Outlook keeps these deleted files for some time, after which it actually deletes them . This time somehow it decided to delete a large chunk in a single shot, I am not clear on why it did so.
Oh I see it now, You can go back to your Account Settings, and select your email account that you're using at the moment, then click Change button of the Email tab to bring up the Change Account property page.
You will see a More Settings button if your account is set to POP/IMAP account settings, click it to bring up the Internet Email Settings property page, then go to Advanced tab and Look at the Delivery section to make changes to your message status on your email server.

Likes WWGD
  • #3,625
There should be some people on PF who were born on around Christmas day. I would like to say Happy (belated) Birthday and Merry Christmas to them ! :oldsmile:

• #3,626
WWGD said:
No idea why Outlook decided to delete them all in a single shot.
No idea why I continue to use Outlook mail.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,627
Silicon Waffle said:
There should be some people on PF who were born on around Christmas day. I would like to say Happy (belated) Birthday and Merry Christmas to them ! :oldsmile:
I was born on the 16th, Happy holidays to you too:biggrin:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,628
I love irony. My company sent me a bluetooth speaker for Christmas that I can't use with my work computer - security restrictions don't allow installing the necessary drivers. o_O

And Merry Christmas everyone! :woot:

Likes zoobyshoe and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,629
dlgoff said:
I continue because most of my contacts, official and otherwise know this address. Particularly Jarring is the
amount of times I have accidentally sent myself mail because of the way Outlook is laid out.

• #3,630
Borg said:
I love irony. My company sent me a bluetooth speaker for Christmas that I can't use with my work computer - security restrictions don't allow installing the necessary drivers. o_O

And Merry Christmas everyone! :woot:
I recently saw a pedestrian safety unit van (from the local PD) almost run someone over.

And a Merry ChristmaHannuKwanzaMadan to all (Did I leave someone out?)

Likes Borg and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,631
dlgoff said:

I've been happy with Thunderbird, never use outlook any more. . Took me a good while to learn to use its Filters to delete from server before loading, much less aggravation now.

Likes dlgoff
  • #3,632
A good answer for next time a high school kid asks why s/he needs to know Math:
I ordered a pizza at Papa Johns. A large garden is $20 + tax. It has 6 veg toppings.
There was a deal for a large one , 1 topping for $7.80. Each extra topping is $1.50.
So if I got the one for $7.80 with 1 topping + the 5 toppings for $1.50 each, for a total
of $15.30 vs $20. A saving of almost $5. Math ( at least arithmetic) paid off.

• #3,633
If your sales tax is more than about 6% then you save more than $5, in fact.

• #3,634
Ibix said:
If your sales tax is more than about 6% then you save more than $5, in fact.
Good point, it is 8.875% , so the savings are around $5.20.

• #3,635
Coming from a country where VAT - our equivalent of sales tax - is included in the price of everything, I always find a visit to the US a challenge for my mental arithmetic. I don't have any quick look-ups in my head for something like "What is 1.08875 times $7.43?"

• #3,636
Ibix said:
Coming from a country where VAT - our equivalent of sales tax - is included in the price of everything, I always find a visit to the US a challenge for my mental arithmetic. I don't have any quick look-ups in my head for something like "What is 1.08875 times $7.43?"

I am good at mental arithmetic, but there are some tricks: you can take 1.1 , the 10% and then subtract a bit more than 1% from it, which may not be too hard. Or, if doubling is easier for you, you can double three times , to figure out 8% and then add a bit less than 1%. But you have a good point, it is kind of complicated.

• #3,637
WWGD said:
A good answer for next time a high school kid asks why s/he needs to know Math:
I ordered a pizza at Papa Johns. A large garden is $20 + tax. It has 6 veg toppings.
There was a deal for a large one , 1 topping for $7.80. Each extra topping is $1.50.
So if I got the one for $7.80 with 1 topping + the 5 toppings for $1.50 each, for a total
of $15.30 vs $20. A saving of almost $5. Math ( at least arithmetic) paid off.
That's right. But personally, I would scrutinize things even further.

I am almost positive no veggie topping would cost them $1.50 to add, so they make profit there. Additionally, when they add topping #2, I bet they cut back on how much of topping #1 they use (by at least 5%, say). By that logic and procedure, each additional topping allows them to obfuscate how much of each topping they add, such that they make more and more profit per topping the more toppings you order (by topping #6 they are only adding 60% of topping #1, say). So, one topping is the hardest for them to play 3 card monty with, and you get the most mass for the least amount with one veggie only.

It could be I'm wrong and that each topping is pre-measured regardless of the number of toppings, but I would be on the lookout for this tactic

• #3,638
zoobyshoe said:
That's right. But personally, I would scrutinize things even further.

I am almost positive no veggie topping would cost them $1.50 to add, so they make profit there. Additionally, when they add topping #2, I bet they cut back on how much of topping #1 they use (by at least 5%, say). By that logic and procedure, each additional topping allows them to obfuscate how much of each topping they add, such that they make more and more profit per topping the more toppings you order (by topping #6 they are only adding 60% of topping #1, say). So, one topping is the hardest for them to play 3 card monty with, and you get the most mass for the least amount with one veggie only.

It could be I'm wrong and that each topping is pre-measured regardless of the number of toppings, but I would be on the lookout for this tactic

It may be hard to implement unless done very carefully. Workers are either Mexicans whoo don't speak English well, or high school kids who
can barely do Math. But if management wants to be cheapskates, they can always figure out a way of doing it I guess. And the pizza is pretty tasty too, so at least it seems I am getting reasonable quality.

• #3,639
WWGD said:
It may be hard to implement unless done very carefully. Workers are either Mexicans whoo don't speak English well, or high school kids who
can barely do Math. But if management wants to be cheapskates, they can always figure out a way of doing it I guess. And the pizza is pretty tasty too, so at least it seems I am getting reasonable quality.

EDIT: If anyone in PF is interested, I can do research for them and buy some 10 of each standard large garden and then 10 $7.80 ones with 5 added toppings, then measure the amount of toppings in each --and then eat it. So I am asking for a research grant from anyone out there.

• #3,640
WWGD said:
I am good at mental arithmetic, but there are some tricks: you can take 1.1 , the 10% and then subtract a bit more than 1% from it, which may not be too hard. Or, if doubling is easier for you, you can double three times , to figure out 8% and then add a bit less than 1%. But you have a good point, it is kind of complicated.
True - "somewhere between 8 and 9 percent" would probably do for most purposes. And then taking a quarter of the difference between 8 and 9 percent would get me the rest of the way. The problem is that it never even occurs to me to think about it until I'm stood at the till with my $10 item and my $10 bill wondering why they're charging me $10.88.

I used to be treasurer of a student society many years ago. Student societies don't pay VAT, so if the society bought something that included it you needed a "VAT receipt", which shows the amount of VAT paid, and the university could claim it back. The books refused to balance one time, which I eventually tracked down to one VAT receipt (from a well known national chain) that showed that we had paid (for the sake of argument) £10 for something, of which £1.75 was tax. The tax rate at the time was 17.5%...