Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,676
Just replaced the switch/socket in my desk lamp by cannibalizing another lamp I don't use anymore. The switch had been in bad shape for years, but I had become blithely used to the fact I just had to fiddle with it every time I turned it on. This morning it finally failed completely and decisive action was therefore required.

Likes jim hardy and Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,677
Book TV presentation on " How not to be Wrong", referring to Mathematical reasoning was deeply disappointing , I would even say grossly wrong/misleading in some respects.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,678
zoobyshoe said:
Just replaced the switch/socket in my desk lamp by cannibalizing another lamp I don't use anymore.

Way to go Z ! Beat the system...

I just fixed an old boat compass , epoxied a crack in bottom and filled it back up with liquid.
Stamped inside "Apr 24 1973"
but i don't really need it, just some obsession i have to save fine things from the junkpile.
Oh well, It'll go nicely in grand-daughter's pink boat.

Likes collinsmark and dlgoff
  • #3,679
jim hardy said:

I just fixed an old boat compass , epoxied a crack in bottom and filled it back up with liquid.
but i don't really need it, just some obsession i have to save fine things from the junkpile.
Oh well, It'll go nicely in grand-daughter's pink boat.
Nice! :smile:
Do you have Kelvin's balls to go with that?

(Same Kelvin as in "Lord Kelvin," namesake of the unit of temperature. His balls.)

• #3,680
collinsmark said:
Do you have Kelvin's balls to go with that?

Didnt know that was the name so expecting a brass monkey joke...

Same as this but missing the hood
upload_2015-12-28_9-15-47.png

compensation is by little bar magnets inside the housing ...

looks as if leakage is not uncommon with this model. Repair was easier than i thought it would be.

WIll post a photo after base is cleaned up and painted pink.

• #3,681
jim hardy said:
I wasn't exactly out to beat the system. My experience is often that when you try to replace an old thing you like with a brand new one, there is no comparable new version available.
Compasses are inherently cool. I have about 5 of them. Sometimes I use them to determine the polarity of permanent magnets.

• #3,682
Reminders to myself, and to all those lacking common sense (equivalently, those having common nonsense, I guess ):

If the question can be interpreted as either "Where is the Dog Spa" , or " Where is the Dog's Pa " , it is most likely the first.

The saying goes : " It is the first day of the rest of your life" , not " It is the first day of the end of your life" , tho the last one is tautologically true.

• #3,683
WWGD said:
Reminders to myself, and to all those lacking common sense (equivalently, those having common nonsense, I guess ):

If the question can be interpreted as either "Where is the Dog Spa" , or " Where is the Dog's Pa " , it is most likely the first.

The saying goes : " It is the first day of the rest of your life" , not " It is the first day of the end of your life" , tho the last one is tautologically true.
When you write your autobiography you should call it, "My Life as a Confused Foreigner."

• #3,684
WWGD said:

What is going on ?

• #3,685
zoobyshoe said:
When you write your autobiography you should call it, "My Life as a Confused Foreigner."

Wonder if my autobiography will be an authorized one or not.

• #3,686
Saw this lady whose eyes were very clearly at different heights in her face, like if she was a Picasso painting.

• #3,687
Silicon Waffle said:
What is going on ?
Just a bizarre day in one of the usually weird weeks in the year. The transition between the last and the first is also an awkward one, usually.

It seems it would be better to just let this last week of December be a holiday; life largely stops anyway around christmas and around new year anyway.Then in these two weeks people are awkwardly starting for a few days, stopping, then starting again, etc. Why not let the whole week of the 24th thru the 31st be a holiday and then start in full swing on the 1st , or maybe the 2nd? Or, even better, do like the Romans used to do , and I think Iranians/Zoroastrians still do, and start the year around March, at the beginning of Spring, when flowers start blooming and life reemerges from the freeze of Winter. I vote in favor.

• #3,688
WWGD said:
Just a bizarre day in one of the usually weird weeks in the year. The transition between the last and the first is also an awkward one, usually.

It seems it would be better to just let this last week of December be a holiday; life largely stops anyway around christmas and around new year anyway.Then in these two weeks people are awkwardly starting for a few days, stopping, then starting again, etc. Why not let the whole week of the 24th thru the 31st be a holiday and then start in full swing on the 1st , or maybe the 2nd? Or, even better, do like the Romans used to do , and I think Iranians/Zoroastrians still do, and start the year around March, at the beginning of Spring, when flowers start blooming and life reemerges from the freeze of Winter. I vote in favor.
Maybe they mean to extract every single drop of oil before dumping the containers away. Other than that, they want to collect data for some *secret* psycho-analytical reports. Another likelihood is to determine what is indeterminate :DD .

• #3,689
I've paid attention to maths lately and found people pretty much in love with space and its various metrics. I will head into a book of R^n space today. :approve:

• #3,690
I'd stick to R3. It's difficult to fit higher dimensional books on the shelf.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,691
OK point taken! I'd go with R*R*R :smile:.

• #3,692
WWGD said:
But a genuinely strange thing to do, I would say, is what I see some restaurants do, where they state their schedule as : Monday: 10-6 . Tuesday, 10:6 ,.., Saturday 10-6 , Sunday 10-6 . And then state _the exact same menu_ separately , for lunch and dinner every day, instead of : Open 10-6 daily, menu is ...

When I first toured my college, our tour guide (a fourth year communications major) took us to the library, where she informed us that "the lie-berry is open 24/7, but not on weekends."

I would not recommend people major in communications at my university.

• #3,693
WWGD said:
I only have low fat food for thought.

My wife has mostly thoughts of food, but as she is "in a motherly way" it is to be expected.

• #3,694
WWGD said:

Q: Where is the Dog's Pa?
A: At the Dog Spa.
Q: Oh, where is the Dog Spa?
A: I just told you!

Likes WWGD and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,695
dkotschessaa said:
:biggrin: This is a good one! Haha

• #3,696
dkotschessaa said:
How about adding to this: I always thought of making it into a sort of street theater by putting many of these together:

"Louisa adams was the only presidential wife born a broad (abroad)"

"Maybe Hillary has not finished her operation yet. "

Or
" Did you call your aunt Martha"

" No"

"Why"?

" Her name is not Martha"

etc. I always thought of holding a conversation in public putting together lines of this sort.

• #3,697
dkotschessaa said:
When I first toured my college, our tour guide (a fourth year communications major) took us to the library, where she informed us that "the lie-berry is open 24/7, but not on weekends."

I would not recommend people major in communications at my university.
Can they major ( or at least minor) in mis-communication ( which, BTW was the name of the beauty pageant in the communication department)?

• #3,698
The one-off Sherlock special is going to be aired simultaneously in the UK and USA January 1st, 2016. I think that's a good idea, and I wish they did it with more British TV shows.

• #3,699
zoobyshoe said:
The one-off Sherlock special is going to be aired simultaneously in the UK and USA January 1st, 2016. I think that's a good idea, and I wish they did it with more British TV shows.
Wonder if that name Sherlock is used by anyone else, never heard it. Sherlock Fernandez? Sherlock Jones?

• #3,700
The season of Fargo should be extended from two and a half months to three months, and they should have four seasons of it a year.

In other news, the current temperature at the South Pole is -18 F. Coincidentally, the current temperature in Fargo, North Dakota is +18 F.

• #3,701
WWGD said:
Wonder if that name Sherlock is used by anyone else, never heard it. Sherlock Fernandez? Sherlock Jones?
You've never heard of Sherlock Einstein?

• #3,703
WWGD said:
Is he one of the Einstein bagels brothers.
No, he's the drummer for the band, Adolf Mussolini.

I'm sayin' some names get stigmatized for one reason or another, and thereafter not used as much. Be a burden to someone to name them "Sherlock."

• #3,704
zoobyshoe said:
No, he's the drummer for the band, Adolf Mussolini.

I'm sayin' some names get stigmatized for one reason or another, and thereafter not used as much. Be a burden to someone to name them "Sherlock."

Luckily there have been no parents with the idea " Oh, Sherlock would be a cool name for my son" , which is equivalent to printing the sentence " Please punch the hell out of me" in the son's forehead when he attends high school.

Still, strangely, I have known of people born after the end of WW2 with first name a variant of Adolph. I guess 'Benito' does not have the same stigma attached to it; plenty of Bens, Benjamins, etc.

• #3,705
WWGD said:
Luckily there have been no parents with the idea " Oh, Sherlock would be a cool name for my son" , which is equivalent to printing the sentence " Please punch the hell out of me" in the son's forehead when he attends high school.
Exactly.

• #3,706
Kind of weird to see a homeless guy, someone sitting down with a sign in front of him asking for money, using his iPhone, while reading a book . Maybe he has a hashtag: # gimmeaquarter@ 35th and 3rd.

• #3,707
PBS just had an awesome documentary on Prohibition. I highly recommend it next time they show it.

• #3,708
Yesterday I had a Brooklyn Lager - "pre-prohibition style!" according to the can. I was trying to work out what was pre-prohibition about it. Ethanol and no methanol perhaps?

• #3,709
Ibix said:
Yesterday I had a Brooklyn Lager - "pre-prohibition style!" according to the can. I was trying to work out what was pre-prohibition about it. Ethanol and no methanol perhaps?
Here's the scoop:
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html

• #3,710
zoobyshoe said:
Here's the scoop:
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.3/fix.html
Thanks, Zooby. It wasn't bad beer at all, I must say, and my previous experience with American lager has not been positive. Interesting that thirteen years is all it takes to start such a change in style.