Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
Once in a while, there is some good news.

Target Teen Yasir Moore Returns to Store After Job Interview
https://gma.yahoo.com/target-teen-yasir-moore-returns-store-job-interview-180532244--abc-news-topstories.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
"Mockingbird" was a monster success, though, and it ought to have been clear to everyone, especially the editor, that any related book by her would be, at least, a financial success. However, it seems this author claimed for decades that she was content with the one hit, and there would be no more books. Something changed her mind recently about that. I'm not clear what it was.

Here it is.

Ms. Lee said she had thought the draft of “Go Set a Watchman” had been lost or destroyed. Then last fall, Tonja Carter, her friend and lawyer, discovered the manuscript in a secure place where Ms. Lee keeps her archives, attached to an original typed manuscript of “To Kill a Mockingbird.” According to Ms. Lee’s publisher, Ms. Carter didn’t understand what she had stumbled on at first, until she realized that the passages weren’t from Ms. Lee’s first and only novel.
Scholars have long been aware that Harper Lee wrote an earlier manuscript, but many thought it was an early version of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” not a separate story that unfolds 20 years later.

It looks like my original analysis was completely wrong. I guess I should have read the whole article.

Fascinating story, behind the story.

Ms. Lee has occasionally addressed the question of why she never published another book after “To Kill A Mockingbird.” She has said she found the publicity surrounding “To Kill a Mockingbird” overwhelming and that she had said all she had to say in that single work.

OmCheeto said:
Here it is.
It looks like my original analysis was completely wrong. I guess I should have read the whole article.

Fascinating story, behind the story.
OK. This is what I misread:
Ms. Lee said she had thought the draft of “Go Set a Watchman” had been lost or destroyed.
I came away thinking she knew it was around somewhere all along, but that others thought it was missing.

Tonight I saw what seemed at first to be a hummingbird drinking out of blossoms on a bush. I thought it was weird to see one at night, and went a little closer. I'm pretty sure it was actually some kind of moth - I could see distinct antennae - but it had all the flight characteristics of a humming bird. I suppose it might be a new kind of drone that runs on glucose, though.

Why do they call her MILF and she doesn't have kids?

zoobyshoe said:
Tonight I saw what seemed at first to be a hummingbird drinking out of blossoms on a bush. I thought it was weird to see one at night, and went a little closer. I'm pretty sure it was actually some kind of moth - I could see distinct antennae - but it had all the flight characteristics of a humming bird. I suppose it might be a new kind of drone that runs on glucose, though.
Aren't most bees we see basically drones that run on glucose (sucrose and fructose, as well)?

Likes OmCheeto
lisab said:
Aren't most bees we see basically drones that run on glucose (sucrose and fructose, as well)?
I would say they were, yes.

Seeing digoff's post gave me the idea of simply googling "hummingbird moth." And there it was.
dlgoff said:
Stunning! For my money, moths beat butterflies for beauty.

Likes dlgoff
I like hanging out in the forest because it looks so pretty. :)

Any forests in the US or Canada that comes to mind that might be an interesting visit? I like humid places. Lots of amphibians which I find marvelous. :)

It's a beautiful day.

:)

Likes Borg and lisab
zoobyshoe said:

There is a humming bird moth that is usually out in the daytime. Then there is the hummingbird hawk moth that is nocturnal. I saw both last summer and was confused as all H!. In Az we also have a nectar bat that is the ugliest thing that I have ever seen. The bats get the nectar by licking it. It didn't take them long to learn how to bump into my hummingbird feeders so that the nectar runs down the outside where they can get at it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk-moth#mediaviewer/File:Macrogl_Stellat.jpg

zoobyshoe said:
Stunning! For my money, moths beat butterflies for beauty.
When I was a child, my father had a taxidermist friend who set up the universities natural history museum, but his love was collecting butterflies and moths. He taught us how to bate for moths around this area then mount them. One would be surprised by what comes out at night. Here a Google image search on moths of Kansas. What a great learning experience that was for me; not to mention "time with dad".

edward said:
There is a humming bird moth that is usually out in the daytime. Then there is the hummingbird hawk moth that is nocturnal. I saw both last summer and was confused as all H!. In Az we also have a nectar bat that is the ugliest thing that I have ever seen. The bats get the nectar by licking it. It didn't take them long to learn how to bump into my hummingbird feeders so that the nectar runs down the outside where they can get at it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk-moth#mediaviewer/File:Macrogl_Stellat.jpg
That must be what I saw, then. I've lived here going on 30 years and had never seen one before. Likewise, I have not seen any bats here at all, but there could be plenty around that simply avoid the city.

It's crazy that two such distinct things could end up so resembling each other. Your average moth is a pretty clumsy flyer. This thing was equal in flying skill to the most co-ordinated of all birds. I'd say it was better than any bee I've seen.

Likes Silicon Waffle
dlgoff said:
When I was a child, my father had a taxidermist friend who set up the universities natural history museum, but his love was collecting butterflies and moths. He taught us how to bate for moths around this area then mount them. One would be surprised by what comes out at night. Here a Google image search on moths of Kansas. What a great learning experience that was for me; not to mention "time with dad".
Kansas has some great moths.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Now I understand what a "crackpot" is. :D

Psinter said:
I like hanging out in the forest because it looks so pretty. :)

Any forests in the US or Canada that comes to mind that might be an interesting visit? I like humid places. Lots of amphibians which I find marvelous. :)
Consider the Hoh Rainforest, on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoh_Rainforest

Google photos of it - it's spectacular!

Or the Everglades in Florida, but I've never been there so I can't speak of it directly.

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
I thought I had some chamomile tea.

Lisa! said:
Please sign this petition if you care about sick people:
http://accessourmedicine.com/
Done. Now where is the petition for people who care about zoobie's chamomile?

Likes Lisa!
zoobyshoe said:
This new used PC I have has been offline for, perhaps, two years, I'm not sure, but I am becoming alarmed at the number of updates it seems to require each and every time I shut it off.

I shut it off earlier and it said 180 updates! I was maybe hoping they were small ones, but I got back an hour and a half later and it was only to 52.

Is this normal or is it some sort of virus that bogs you down with bogus updates?

In case you have been living under a rock, you may have noticed that Gates & Co. do not much care about the customer's ease of use, Windows having a virtual monopoly. Specially the contempt is seen in the constant change of interface. Imagine the same thing happened with , say, cars, so that every time a new model rolled out , everything would be in a different place. The steering wheel may be on the roof, some of the screen controls in the back seat, window switches on the floor, etc.

WWGD said:
In case you have been living under a rock, you may have noticed that Gates & Co. do not much care about the customer's ease of use, Windows having a virtual monopoly. Specially the contempt is seen in the constant change of interface. Imagine the same thing happened with , say, cars, so that every time a new model rolled out , everything would be in a different place. The steering wheel may be on the roof, some of the screen controls in the back seat, window switches on the floor, etc.
I haven't been living under a rock for the past 4 years, but in the blissful paradise of having a Mac.

In comparing them, it is wrong to characterize a PC as merely ignoring ease of use. The PC is outright user-hostile. It deliberately seeks to destroy your peace of mind. It actively attempts to eat your soul. Owning a Mac compared to owning a PC is like owning a golden retriever compared to owning a hyena.

"Living under a rock" is a really ugly saying.

lisab said:
Consider the Hoh Rainforest, on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoh_Rainforest

Google photos of it - it's spectacular!

Or the Everglades in Florida, but I've never been there so I can't speak of it directly.
Whoa! Awesome! Just saw some pictures of it and it's by long on a league of its own. I have to go there although I would prefer to go alone. Rain forests are simply too awesome. All that water gives color and beautiful life not found elsewhere. Candy for my pupils.

Edit:

Lisa! said:
Please sign this petition if you care about sick people:
http://accessourmedicine.com/
This reminds me of this picture. If I ever move there... I guess I'll stop eating candies. Must preserve my health or costs could escalate very fast.

Someone: Want some candy?
Me: No thanks.
Someone: Why?
Me: The effects of candies can be devastating to my pockets. :-p

Last edited:
Pizza for dinner tonight - hot and spicy, quite delicious!

In other news, the tissue on roof of my mouth is peeling off.

lisab said:
Pizza for dinner tonight - hot and spicy, quite delicious!

In other news, the tissue on roof of my mouth is peeling off.
Spooky: I was just biting into a piece of pizza when I got to this post.

Computer backups... :oldruck:

Not unlike sewer backups. Satisfaction guaranteed or double your ---- let's not go there.

Borg said:
Computer backups... :oldruck:
Not having computer backups... :oldruck:

Bystander said:
Not unlike sewer backups. Satisfaction guaranteed or double your ---- let's not go there.
Maybe a teeny bit more valuable than what comes out of the sewer. :oldtongue:
Ibix said:
Not having computer backups... :oldruck:
Which is why I force myself to do it.

All done. Now I can get on to the more enjoyable things on my todo list. :w

I miss pizza!:oldfrown:

I miss lasagna!

Yesterday my sister flew from Santa Barbara, Ca. into the belly of Winter Storm Neptune in New England. It's 77F here and somewhere around 15F there.

The first time I saw ZapperZ's avatar I thought it was a freeway looking over a rocky hillside and a car was careening out of control and crashing through the median.

zoobyshoe said:
I haven't been living under a rock for the past 4 years, but in the blissful paradise of having a Mac.

In comparing them, it is wrong to characterize a PC as merely ignoring ease of use. The PC is outright user-hostile. It deliberately seeks to destroy your peace of mind. It actively attempts to eat your soul. Owning a Mac compared to owning a PC is like owning a golden retriever compared to owning a hyena.

So I guess , unlike me, you don't dream of breaking into bill gates' house and moving everything around every week? Hey, bill, I just randomly decided I would move your bed to the laundry room. Hey, bill, your soap and shampoo are in the kitchen--this week-- maybe next week I will put them in the garage. And your car will be... take a guess, bill, and get a sample of what windows users put up with. If I was more computer savvy, I would use Linux or some other operating system. But I'm not bitter...

Likes Borg