Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
A few days back, my laptop had an unfortunate encounter with a coffee tsunami. One shop said the motherboard and keyboard were "fried." Hard drive OK, though. Today I decided to try another shop which said they might be able to clean it, which is much cheaper. They won't get to it for three days, though.

In the meantime, I bought a used tiny PC for a backup. It's slow and weird and the screen is small.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
with no torn tissue?
The end of the cheater bar grazed my collar bone on the way down and scraped some skin. I was afraid there'd be a bruise, but there wasn't. What got wrenched was my right thumb. It was sore all the next day.

Thanks for showing me that link.
You're welcome, Psinter...

zoobyshoe said:
A few days back, my laptop had an unfortunate encounter with a coffee tsunami. One shop said the motherboard and keyboard were "fried." Hard drive OK, though. Today I decided to try another shop which said they might be able to clean it, which is much cheaper. They won't get to it for three days, though.

In the meantime, I bought a used tiny PC for a backup. It's slow and weird and the screen is small.
I thought you were going to share your experience of the life without PC and Laptop...:biggrin:

Seems like there too much bad news these days. It's time for some good news.

This Couple Built a School in Africa for Their Honeymoon
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/forget-the-vacay-this-couple-built-a-school-in-109973870977.html

Taking their love of traveling and philanthropy to the next level, Mallory Foster and Zach Wendel asked their wedding guests for donations instead of gifts to help fund a school being built in Africa, where they planned to volunteer for their honeymoon.
:approve:

I like magnets.

I respect diamagnets

I celebrate paramagnets.

This new used PC I have has been offline for, perhaps, two years, I'm not sure, but I am becoming alarmed at the number of updates it seems to require each and every time I shut it off.

I shut it off earlier and it said 180 updates! I was maybe hoping they were small ones, but I got back an hour and a half later and it was only to 52.

Is this normal or is it some sort of virus that bogs you down with bogus updates?

zoobyshoe said:
This new used PC I have has been offline for, perhaps, two years, I'm not sure, but I am becoming alarmed at the number of updates it seems to require each and every time I shut it off.

I shut it off earlier and it said 180 updates! I was maybe hoping they were small ones, but I got back an hour and a half later and it was only to 52.

Is this normal or is it some sort of virus that bogs you down with bogus updates?
It doesn't sound bad for a computer that's been off for two years. You should be fine.

Borg said:
It doesn't sound bad for a computer that's been off for two years. You should be fine.
Would Windows really bog someone down by sending them that many updates all at once, even if they were legit? I mean, they are keeping people from using their computer for hours! That's not the first batch I've gotten. It seems to take a minimum of an hour each time.

You could turn off auto-update and then select the ones that you want. They're all selected by default so you would still have to unselect all of the ones that you wanted to delay. With auto-update off, you could also choose not to install anything until you're ready.

zoobyshoe said:
Would Windows really bog someone down by sending them that many updates all at once, even if they were legit? I mean, they are keeping people from using their computer for hours! That's not the first batch I've gotten. It seems to take a minimum of an hour each time.
I've recently installed Win7 on two machines after finally saying good-bye to WinXP - yes, the initial updates were about that humongous. Took about three hours and then again a couple to plow through them all. A total of maybe three-four lengthy updates is all there was to get up to speed with all the update backlog.

Just leave it to its devices when you leave the house or go to sleep.

Bandersnatch said:
I've recently installed Win7 on two machines after finally saying good-bye to WinXP - yes, the initial updates were about that humongous. Took about three hours and then again a couple to plow through them all. A total of maybe three-four lengthy updates is all there was to get up to speed with all the update backlog.

Just leave it to its devices when you leave the house or go to sleep.
This is good to know. I still find it hard to believe they would bog someone down for that long without any warning you and giving you the option of choosing how long you can afford to be bogged down per update session. Windows so sucks in so many ridiculous ways.

In the meantime, I did what Borg said and turned off automatic updates.

Henry Winkler, aka (formerly, according to the add) the Fonz was at a local B&N advertising a recent book of his.
EDIT:He seems to have pulled of a 180, change from his show to his recent TV ads; he used to be a hip, worry-free guy in his TV show. Now he puts out ads for reverse mortgages, as a way of "securing your financial future", so much for worry-free. He also looked kind of
short, but looks like a nice, happy person overall, no pretension .

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Henry Winkler, aka (formerly, according to the add) the Fonz was at a local B&N advertising a recent book of his.
He seems to have pulled of a 180, change from his show to his recent TV ads; he apparently used to be a hip, worry-free guy in his TV show. Now he puts out ads for reverse mortgages, as a way of "securing your home ownership", so much for worry-free. He also looked kind of
short, but looks like a nice, happy person overall, no pretension .
He's been in a lot of TV shows playing one off characters. I recall him playing a very weird character with a cockroach fetish on Law and Order (I think). That's really what actors want to do; change it up and explore their range. It's an artistic kiss of death to be so successful in one role that no one will ever think of you as anything else.

I guess you're right, I may be focusing too much on his Fonz character. I have not seen him act in any other
movie nor tv show.

Wonder what would happen if unemployed FBI profilers became therapists. They could give a full diagnosis in one session and then
maybe just a month for a cure.

Anybody interested in making a secret organization, whose purpose is to prove that Earth is flat?

blue_leaf77 said:
Anybody interested in making a secret organization, whose purpose is to prove that Earth is flat?
Sure. Our secret code word for "earth" will be "The Big Pancake."

Incidentally, I'm so happy this is just between us and our secret is secure.

Likes blue_leaf77
Better Call Saul: I am impressed how they make such a hapless guy so interesting to watch.

First episode was bad. Second was better.

Astronuc said:
Here, have some Valentine's Chocolate:

PDER6Vu.jpg

zoobyshoe said:
Very interesting. But the article didn't make it completely clear to me why she is now allowing publication after decades of letting it sit.

Seems obvious to me. But then, I'm not you. And neither one of us, is her.

FEB. 3, 2015
Although written first, “Go Set a Watchman” is a continuation of the same story, with overlapping themes and characters. But Ms. Lee abandoned the manuscript after her editor, who was captivated by the flashbacks to Scout’s childhood, told her to write a new book from the young heroine’s perspective and to set it during her childhood.

“I was a first-time writer, so I did as I was told,” Ms. Lee said in a statement released by her publisher.

I used to be somewhat of an "obedient" person, and I've yet to get started on my first novel. And we both seem to comprehend how slowly society changes.

IMHO, this was perfect timing.

Likes edward
OmCheeto said:
Seems obvious to me. But then, I'm not you. And neither one of us, is her.
I used to be somewhat of an "obedient" person, and I've yet to get started on my first novel. And we both seem to comprehend how slowly society changes.

IMHO, this was perfect timing.
"Mockingbird" was a monster success, though, and it ought to have been clear to everyone, especially the editor, that any related book by her would be, at least, a financial success. However, it seems this author claimed for decades that she was content with the one hit, and there would be no more books. Something changed her mind recently about that. I'm not clear what it was.

Hair turning white

On the rare occasion when somebody decides to follow me on PF I feel torn between an obligation to reciprocate the gesture by following the follower in return, and a common sense realisation that the two of us would then end up going in circles.

It's only when I think to myself: 'what would Jesus do?' that I can resolve the dissonance and continue gathering my apostles with gleeful megalomaniacal abandon. Once I hit a more intimidating number than four we'll march on some palace, somewhere.

Bandersnatch said:
Once I hit a more intimidating number than four we'll march on some palace, somewhere.
I want to write the headline for that one.

POLICE: BANDERSNATCH'S BAND SNATCHES PALACE

Likes Bandersnatch and zoobyshoe