Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
T - 1

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Fortune's best 100 companies to work for just came out. I don't know if they are based where you live though, but if they are, maybe a good idea to give them a try?
Thanks, most of them seem to be US companies. I'm not sure how true this is but trying to get a job in US without the green card seem to be a pain (not to mention most of my job experience involves getting made drunk to near death with colleagues and second hand chain smoking)

T

1+3 = green

zoki85 said:
T
Are you retiring today?

OmCheeto said:
Are you retiring today?

Doh!

pf.2015.03.24.0316.pdt.Zoki85.1k.day.jpg

Congrats!

OmCheeto said:
Are you retiring today?
No. Just taking a break from posting on PFs. Especially on EE subforum. What's enough is enough.
OmCheeto said:
Doh!
View attachment 80907
Congrats!
Thx! :smile:

Come on, one more post to a palindrome.

989?

He went home. :oldsmile:

Chutzpah: n

Reversing round a corner from a minor road to a major road (illegal) where the view is blocked by parked coaches (dangerous), and drawing attention to yourself by making a mess of it because you are talking on a mobile phone (illegal and dangerous)...

...outside a police station.

Likes Silicon Waffle
If I owned a garden store, I'd call it Plant Parenthood.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Ibix
I have seen a medium sized bird (slightly smaller than a pigeon, with a yellow belly and definitely not a hummingbird) hovering a few seconds over the water before taking a drink.
However I had heard and read that hummingbirds are the only birds to be able to hover without wind help. For instance see http://www.bbc.com/news/28563737 or http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ealed-help-improve-helicopter-technology.html:
Hummingbirds are one of nature’s most energetic fliers and the only birds to hover in the air by relying on their strength alone.
and
BBC said:
of a hummingbird - the only bird capable of sustained hovering -
I think that they are spreading misinformation.

fluidistic said:
I have seen a medium sized bird (slightly smaller than a pigeon, with a yellow belly and definitely not a hummingbird) hovering a few seconds over the water before taking a drink.
However I had heard and read that hummingbirds are the only birds to be able to hover without wind help. For instance see http://www.bbc.com/news/28563737 or http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ealed-help-improve-helicopter-technology.html: and

I agree. I've also seen lots of birds, other than hummingbirds, hover. .

wiki said:
Hovering

Hovering is used by several species of birds (and specialized in by one family). True hovering, which is generating lift through flapping alone rather than as a product of the bird's passage through the air, demands a lot of energy. This means that it is confined to smaller birds; the largest bird able to truly hover is the pied kingfisher, although larger birds can hover for short periods of time.

As I interpret sophiecentaur's saying; "Classification, is stupid".

An ornithological pedant would probably point out the word "sustained".
At which point, I would bonk them on the head, with the nearest heavy object.

Likes Enigman and fluidistic
OmCheeto said:
I agree. I've also seen lots of birds, other than hummingbirds, hover. .
As I interpret sophiecentaur's saying; "Classification, is stupid".

An ornithological pedant would probably point out the word "sustained".
At which point, I would bonk them on the head, with the nearest heavy object.
Interesting. Though I am almost sure that the bird I've seen was bigger than a pied kingfisher. Ah, it may be that the definition of "true hovering" discards about 3 seconds hovering I guess.

Ibix said:
Why have Yahoo put this in the Beauty section...?
I read your question, think, till my head aches. She is a young strong teenager.
Maybe it's not so far as what I may think...

fluidistic said:
However I had heard and read that hummingbirds are the only birds to be able to hover without wind help. For instance see http://www.bbc.com/news/28563737 or http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ealed-help-improve-helicopter-technology.html: and
Could you tell if the bird was a raptor?

• #1,000
lisab said:
Could you tell if the bird was a raptor?
Yes: it wasn't a raptor. It had a very particular behavior of hiding in trees and going down over water making a "U" shape flight every 8 minutes or so. I didn't figure out what it was doing so quickly over the water, I don't think it was drinking nor catching bugs. But then after 40 minutes of observation or so it went over the water and hovered about 3 seconds and drank while doing so.

• #1,001
fluidistic said:
Yes: it wasn't a raptor. It had a very particular behavior of hiding in trees and going down over water making a "U" shape flight every 8 minutes or so. I didn't figure out what it was doing so quickly over the water, I don't think it was drinking nor catching bugs. But then after 40 minutes of observation or so it went over the water and hovered about 3 seconds and drank while doing so.

We have river raptors around here, that I'm sure I've seen hovering.
(google google google)
Ah ha!

"Osprey hovers like a hummingbird hunting in Yellowstone National Park"

ps. I can never remember the names of those birds, for some reason.

Likes edward
  • #1,004
fluidistic said:
Hmm. Perhaps a flycatcher. They often have yellow plumage, and some can hover for short periods.

• #1,005
lisab said:
Hmm. Perhaps a flycatcher. They often have yellow plumage, and some can hover for short periods.
I think it was bigger than that. Anyway next time if it ever happens again I'll try to take a photo.

• #1,006
hairless men look OK in public but hairy women doesn't.

• #1,008
Silicon Waffle said:

Where do you come on women with mustache ;) ?

• #1,009
Got rejected by Boston University, but admitted to Imperial College and U Chicago.
What the hell?

• #1,010
Silicon Waffle said:
Really? 3bn+ individuals, not one of whom could even appear "OK in public" with hair?

• #1,011
When a police officer is waving his hand up and down it means the driver has to slow down Not stop the car. I was pursued and pulled over and asked why I didn't pull over when the officer told me...

...it's not the first time it's happened to me -.-

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,012
nuuskur said:
When a police officer is waving his hand up and down it means the driver has to slow down Not stop the car. I was pursued and pulled over and asked why I didn't pull over when the officer told me...

...it's not the first time it's happened to me -.-

That guy pulling you over didn't know well the rules, or worse he wanted to show you that he was the rules.

• #1,013
Ah the joys of cataloguing an extensive collection of PDFs. 2 hours in, 200 named and tagged.
Expected to be done: 2020

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,014
JorisL said:
Ah the joys of cataloguing an extensive collection of PDFs. 2 hours in, 200 named and tagged.
Expected to be done: 2020
It's reasonable, I see a good future with PDFs. :oldwink:

• #1,015