Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,576
I saw an episode of Peppa Pig the other day (young children's series about an anthropomorphic pig). Peppa's family decided to go for a picnic, crossing a river in a rowing boat on the way. When they'd crossed they realized they'd left their lunch behind, so sent Daddy Pig back to get it. He found the packed lunch on the other bank with the Wolf family, who had just turned up and wanted to cross the river too.

So we have a packed lunch, a pig, some wolves, and a rowing boat - which turned out to be only big enough for two of these things at once. I know a lot of children's shows put in some jokes for the grown-ups who end up watching them under duress, but that one was unexpectedly nerdy. Try explaining why you're laughing at that to a bunch of four- and five-year olds...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,577
I thought I had hit the jackpot when I realized my new apartment kept at between around 59 degrees to 70 degrees in Winter without the use of heating. Unfortunately the news are not so good in hot, humid weather, where I do need to make use of AC to have the apartment be at a reasonable temperature and humidity level.

• #1,579
Kind of funny link about how nice Canadians are:

http://distractify.com/jake-heppner/friendliest-canadians-of-all-time-ever/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,580
I've seriously been considering moving there. For some odd reason I begun to kind of hate the United States.

• #1,581
Why not, I have thought about it myself. I will get some maple donuts tonight, at Tony Horton's.

• #1,582
It is a spicy meatball.

• #1,583
"Birds aren't descended from dinosaurs,
they are dinosaurs."

https://xkcd.com/1211/

By this logic, any chicken farmer could call his business "Jurassic Park," and charge people $10,000 a pop to see the "real, living dinosaurs!"

• #1,584
What is the answer to life , the universe , and everything?

• #1,585
I just solved my Rubik's cube for the 3rd time today. I'm getting pretty good. I think I will buy a yo-yo next. Have you seen the tricks you can do with those things?

• #1,586
zoobyshoe said:
"Birds aren't descended from dinosaurs, they are dinosaurs."

There is an interesting discussion of different ways of treating the problem in one of Dawkins' books, I think it was a whole chapter. Sadly, I can't remember which book.

• #1,587
Borek said:
There is an interesting discussion of different ways of treating the problem in one of Dawkins' books, I think it was a whole chapter. Sadly, I can't remember which book.
I like my way of treating the problem:

WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK!
SUGUNA_POULTRY__8981f.jpg

Likes Evo
  • #1,588
Sigh, another thunderstorm, i was on my covered patio making sure all of my potted plants would be safe when a huge gust of wind went through the trees and I heard "SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP" branches breaking. My dog was in the middle of a stretch when a loud clap of thunder hit and he froze in that position until I "undid" him. :frown:

• #1,589
This may be me being ignorant of common knowledge, but how does one "undo" a dog?

• #1,590
I feel like instead of a random thoughts thread, or supplementary to, we need a confession thread. In that sense, I started drinking way too early with nothing in my stomach.

• #1,591
Ibix said:
This may be me being ignorant of common knowledge, but how does one "undo" a dog?
I had to massage him and sing to him to get him to "unfreeze" the position he was in, he's deathly afraid of thunder and couldn't move. I had one dog that would have seizures when it thundered, he'd pass out, eyes rolled back in his head and foaming at the mouth and we'd have to bring him out of it, really scary.

• #1,592
zoobyshoe said:
I like my way of treating the problem:

WELCOME TO JURASSIC PARK!
SUGUNA_POULTRY__8981f.jpg

And then we also get : Kentucky Fried Jurassic , (or Jurass is Fried ) and you get half a pterodactyl leg (plus mashed potatos) for $6.99 . I think it was Wilma and Fred's favorite, they had it every time they went to KFJ.

Last edited:
Likes Evo and zoobyshoe
  • #1,593
Dang storms.

dangstorms.png

Likes Evo
  • #1,594
rootone said:
What is the answer to life , the universe , and everything?
How come no one replied, it's common knowledge...42 of-course.

• #1,595
So, this odd young lad approached me tonight as I was drawing in a coffee shop and was taken by a case I had made to hold my drawing pad. He did woodwork and it intrigued him. He asked if he could take a picture of it, and he pulls out a 35mm camera. I commented that was an expensive way to record random images, and wondered why he didn't just use his phone, save the 35mm for serious photographs.

He said he bought bulk film and loaded it himself, and that he was going to develop it himself using coffee as the developer. I started to suspect he was on drugs. He claimed you could develop film using coffee, because of the acid in it. That was news to me.

• #1,596
zoobyshoe said:
He claimed you could develop film using coffee, because of the acid in it. That was news to me.

He should be ready for a surprise. But judging from the story chances are he will see the film as properly developed.

• #1,597
Pursuing an introverted girl has turned out to be extremely draining on my mental health, but my gut feeling says, it if things work out, it will all be worth it.

• #1,598
What was god's final message to his creation ?

• #1,599
Evo said:
Sigh, another thunderstorm, i was on my covered patio making sure all of my potted plants would be safe when a huge gust of wind went through the trees and I heard "SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP" branches breaking. My dog was in the middle of a stretch when a loud clap of thunder hit and he froze in that position until I "undid" him. :frown:

well you will live in America, in the UK the weather is much more convivial,

• #1,600
wolram said:
well you will live in America, in the UK the weather is much more convivial,

...If you don't mind having a full 2 days of sunlight every year? At least that is the reputation.

Last edited:
  • #1,601
Blank Tournament, failed! :H

• #1,602
And, I'm off again!
Can't say no.

Though, there are only 5 Vespa Virgins heading in that direction this time. :oldeyes:
See you on Monday.

• #1,603
WWGD said:
...If you don't mind having a full 2 days of sunlight every year? At least that is the reputation.

Ha, we are basking in a 70f heat wave at the moment:-p

• #1,604
Borek said:
He should be ready for a surprise. But judging from the story chances are he will see the film as properly developed.
So, I had to google, and there's something people are calling "Caffenol."

http://caffenol.blogspot.com/

Instant coffee, vitamin C, and washing soda.

• #1,605
wolram said:
Ha, we are basking in a 70f heat wave at the moment:-p
With occasional exciting thunder/rain/hail storms. I almost had to swim to work this morning. :wideeyed:

• #1,606
zoobyshoe said:

Fascinating.

Now I'm thinking that good ol' espresso (no cream, sugar or washing soda) might make a good stop bath.

I don't know what one would do for fixer though.

• #1,607
zoobyshoe said:

Interesting, but the original statement (as quoted by you) that you can develop the film "because of acid" is quite inaccurate. Caffeic acid (as well as ascorbic acid) are reducing agents - and it has nothing to do with the fact they are acids.

• #1,608
Borek said:
Interesting, but the original statement (as quoted by you) that you can develop the film "because of acid" is quite inaccurate. Caffeic acid (as well as ascorbic acid) are reducing agents - and it has nothing to do with the fact they are acids.
Even if his reasoning about why it works is wrong, I'm still surprised there is any truth to it at all.

It makes me wonder how this got started. A freak accidental discovery, or did someone with some chemistry knowledge McGyver it up when caught short on developer?

• #1,609
Getting pissed of by these course notes (quite possibly the worst I've ever had including scans of old slides for an overhead projector with just sketches)
The mass-velocity effect. The dependence of the electron mass on the electron velocity causes altered orbits for high-speed electrons (= the ones closest to the nucleus).

Really? Relativistic mass?
Mind you these notes are aimed at master's students and there have been plans to make a book out of them.
Only 190 pages to go :-(

Way too distracting.

\end{venting}

• #1,610
The Idea of Wellbeing
The Reith Lectures, Dr Atul Gawande: The Future of Medicine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v380z#auto

Health care accounts for 10% of the global economy and there are about 8 million doctors in the world.