Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,646
Shyan said:
I'm wondering how people think US (government) is honest in his worries about Iran's nuclear program!
The chants of Death to America and Death to Isreal probably have something to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,647
Shyan said:
I'm wondering how people think US (government) is honest in his worries about Iran's nuclear program!
As a matter of fact I don't think any government of any country in the world is honest about anything. Not that I'm anti-government. Just that I don't trust them. It's not like they trust me either... The feeling is mutual :-p.

• #1,648
Borg said:
The chants of Death to America and Death to Isreal probably have something to do with it.
Well, those chants are what US authorities have bought for themselves with their actions in Iran and other countries in the world. Also the fact that they don't seem to be willing to change their path.

• #1,649
Shyan said:
Well, those chants are what US authorities have bought for themselves with their actions in Iran and other countries in the world. Also the fact that they don't seem to be willing to change their path.
I don't consider either country to be blameless. We all live in countries with their own propaganda. If you want to PM me, I'll be happy to discuss. Otherwise, I think this would get us both banned. :frown:

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,650
Borg said:
I don't consider either country to be blameless. We all live in countries with their own propaganda. If you want to PM me, I'll be happy to discuss. Otherwise, I think this would get us both banned. :frown:
I didn't say one of them is blameless too. But the fact that all over the world, its Iran who is doing all the wrong thing and US is the saviour, is extremely ridiculous.
Yeah, we shouldn't continue this discussion here. I also I would love to have such discussions but I don't think there can be any good result.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,651
zoobyshoe said:
like a wrecking ball
"wrecking ball", lol.

By the way, Jurassic World was just being premiered. Guess this would be another thrilling survival series of Steven Spielberg's, despite the possible inaccuracies in the scientific aspect.

• #1,652
Shyan said:
I didn't say one of them is blameless too. But the fact that all over the world, its Iran who is doing all the wrong thing and US is the saviour, is extremely ridiculous.
Yeah, we shouldn't continue this discussion here. I also I would love to have such discussions but I don't think there can be any good result.

Try discussing it on Facebook. I have many FB friends from here at PF.
It's more relaxed, as you can say whatever the hell you want.
And you can ban all the idiots, and not have to wait for the Mentors to do it for you. :oldtongue:

• #1,653
Isn't the expression : " s/he lives in place x" a little strange? If s/he lives in x, what is s/he doing when
s/he is not in x? Is s/he not living while in y ? e.g., if this author is said to live in Chicago, what is s/he
doing if s/he travels to New York? Shouldn't it be something like "S/he _resides_ in x "?

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,654
WWGD said:
Isn't the expression : " s/he lives in place x" a little strange? If s/he lives in x, what is s/he doing when
s/he is not in x? Is s/he not living while in y ? e.g., if this author is said to live in Chicago, what is s/he
doing if s/he travels to New York? Shouldn't it be something like "S/he _resides_ in x "?
live1/liv/
verb
  1. remain alive.
  2. make one's home in a particular place or with a particular person.

• #1,655
zoobyshoe said:
live1/liv/
verb
  1. remain alive.
  2. make one's home in a particular place or with a particular person.
I think the original phrasing is, or at least should be
1)Staying Alive.

So, how about "s/he is ##Staying Alive^{TM}##" in place x.

• #1,656
Just thinking about the living, staying alive issue. They broadcast the movie "Staying Alive" a few nights ago.
I first saw it (ON TV) like 20 years ago, and I thought it was just a light-hearted movie. But when I watched it
last time it seemed to have more serious, even dark undertones. The theme song itself has the line (which I never
paid attention to the times I have heard the song) :"...I am going nowhere, somebody help me...". According to online
reviews, many consider this movie to be a masterpiece, and they have made good supporting arguments to this effect..

• #1,658
Today, was an epic level of weird.

I liked it.

:smile:

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,659
OmCheeto said:

I liked it.

Those days are the best.

• #1,660
Staying alive=Staying hideous.

• #1,661
OmCheeto said:

I liked it.

It was a Weird day for me as well. It was epic Mandatory Fun!

WeirdAlTickets.jpg

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,662
According to an advert for double glazing that I've just seen, the average home can leak up to 20% of its energy through windows and doors.

Could they add any more caveats to that, do you think?

• #1,663
Ibix said:
According to an advert for double glazing that I've just seen, the average home can leak up to 20% of its energy through windows and doors.

Could they add any more caveats to that, do you think?
For a glass house, it's close to 100%.

• #1,664
Borg said:
For a glass house, it's close to 100%.
Depends how many stones they throw, I guess.

Likes Borg
  • #1,665
Borg said:
It was a Weird day for me as well. It was epic Mandatory Fun!

WeirdAlTickets.jpg

Well, that's weird.
I made a mutual Facebook friend of Borek's who lives in Bulgaria some time back, as she posts weird and delightful pictures.
I mentioned my weird day on Facebook also.
She posted a picture:

Heceta.Head.Lighthouse.jpg

and said she; "had a grandly weird moment".

Which I thought was weird, when I discovered that the image is of a lighthouse which is about an hour away from where I'll be in 4 weeks.
Which is also weird, because she posted something about Burning Man about a week ago, which is kind of like the event that will put in proximity of the lighthouse.
I said I might stop by the lighthouse, and get a picture.
She said I should take one for her.
I think I will, as my brother has a house on the coast, about 30 minutes away from the lighthouse.
I do like going to the coast.

ps. This was just a fraction of the weird. And it's getting weird today, again...

Likes Astronuc, Silicon Waffle and Borg
  • #1,666
That's a nice picture Om. Nothing weird about it. :smile:

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,667
I don't know - I think it has a certain SF other-worldly feel to it. Something about the red landscape under the blue sky, and the way the tree and the lighthouse and the peninsula behind it interact breaks up the outline of the lighthouse and makes it look faintly organic.

• #1,668
Definitely something wyrd about it.

Likes OmCheeto, Silicon Waffle, Borg and 1 other person
  • #1,669
PF mods really cramping my style lately.

• #1,670
phion said:
PF mods really cramping my style lately.
If you change your style PFs will be more sympathetic , some of my posts are blocked and i know why.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,671
Last nights episode of Last Week tonight with John Oliver was awesome.

• #1,672
JorisL said:
Last nights episode of Last Week tonight with John Oliver was awesome.
:-p:-p:-p
Remember to breathe while watching it :DD

• #1,673
Another wyrd day...

Went to the convenience store this morning around 9 am.
I then followed a fire truck, hazmat truck, and the fire chief's truck, to my house.

Fortunately, they kept going.

Two blocks away this morning, an MDMA* house was busted.

I just went down and looked at the house. It looks very normal.
The next door neighbors were having a yard party, as if nothing had happened today.
I thought that was weird, in a nice kind of way.

*MDMA = ecstasy

• #1,674
This is the only thing I've found good about all the rain this summer.

onethinggood.png

Likes Silicon Waffle and Evo
  • #1,675
Why does it seem that every 4 years folks running for president of US tell the public that the country is headed in the wrong direction and that they will turn it in the right direction?

• #1,676
Astronuc said:
Why does it seem that every 4 years folks running for president of US tell the public that the country is headed in the wrong direction and that they will turn it in the right direction?
Because the straightest path to nowhere is a random walk? o_O

Last edited:
Likes Enigman and lisab
  • #1,677
I read somewhere that the reason the country is in such a state is that all the people who would find it simple to run are too busy driving cabs...

It's worth noting that, however much they decry the other guy's inept policies, they don't raze the legislative landscape back to what it was when they were last in power. Doubtless part of that is simple practicality, but it seems suggestive to me that the other guy's policies weren't completely crazy. Even if only by accident. :wink:

• #1,678
Years ago, my brother team signed a short termed contract to work for a US oil company to upgrade their outdated system. After some months seeing that the work was being done so smoothly, they promised to offer his team a bonus at the end of the contract. But after the product got released and now already goes into maintenance stage, even a single candy hasn't been given to anyone.

Lesson learned, I don't want to win on losing anymore.

• #1,679
So, I'm sitting on the patio of a coffee shop, only person out there, facing the street, because watching the interesting goings on on the Avenue is the normal thing to do, when this weird guy comes out of the coffee shop. Instead of obeying the farthest-seat-away rule, he comes over to my side of the patio and sits in front of me, and instead of obeying the sit-facing-the-street rule he turns his chair around and sits facing me. Staring at me. I can't watch the street without looking right in his direction. Then he goes, "How're you tonight?"

So I get up and go back inside to my drawing. He comes in and does basically the same thing to several other people. He goes and stands behind one kid whose watching a movie and stares at the kid's laptop screen, and he goes up to random tables and asks them what they think of the art on the walls. Then he gives the barista some poems he's written.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,680
I got into a kind of awkward conversation with an English teacher/professor (EDIT not clear which). I know 2-3 things about literature ( not proud of it, but it's true), and I corrected him on the line " It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" being from a Tale of Two Cities. It is one of the few things I know, probably from watching Jeopardy. He seemed embarrassed and kept apologizing and trying to explain why he had gotten it wrong. Any other line, I would most likely not have been able to source, but somehow this line came up in the conversation.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle