Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,926
Same thing today: another deluge from the sky!

Today, though, there was a mysterious lack of concomitant electrical activity.

In any event, it would be nice, if somewhat inconvenient, if this kept up till our drought was reversed.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,927
The "Watch blah, blah online" spammers have changed their tactics to create posts with semi-plausible titles with links to their spam on reddit. Every one of the ones that I've reported in the last two weeks has been posted in the Quantum Physics thread. Such weird quantum behavior...

• #1,928
I was asked if I wanted to do Pro Bono Work. No idea what Bono has to see with it, but I think he's rich enough as it is..

Last edited:
  • #1,929
WWGD said:
I was asked if I wanted to do Pro Bono Work. No idea what Bono has to see with it, but I think he's rich enough as it is..
I can't believe you edited this, but failed to correct, "...has to see with it...".

Didn't you mean, "...has to do with it..."?

• #1,930
I think this
zoobyshoe said:
I can't believe you edited this, but failed to correct, "...has to see with it...".

Didn't you mean, "...has to do with it..."?

I think here in the NEast " it has to see with it" is common, though I am not sure. But definitely not as tubular as "has to do with it".

• #1,931
WWGD said:
I think thisI think here in the NEast " it has to see with it" is common, though I am not sure. But definitely not as tubular as "has to do with it".
Never heard the expression "has to see with it" when what is meant is "has to do with it". I lived in the NE for a number of years.

• #1,932
Evo said:
Never heard the expression "has to see with it" when what is meant is "has to do with it". I lived in the NE for a number of years.
Maybe it has to _do_ with my weirdness, making up my own sayings.

Last edited:
  • #1,933
WWGD said:
Maybe it has to do_ with my weirdness, making up my own sayings.
LOL! I make up my own words, it's a good thing.

• #1,934
I like to move my head side-to-side , when I see someone listening to music and moving their head up-and-down. It seems to have a weird confusing effect .

EDIT: Though I did get a few hits for "nothing to see":

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nothing_to_see

• #1,935
WWGD said:
EDIT: Though I did get a few hits for "nothing to see":

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nothing_to_see
I've never heard of this. Even if people are saying it, I wouldn't emulate them. It has a brain-damaged aura to it, like the speaker has severe expressive aphasia.

• #1,936
zoobyshoe said:
I've never heard of this. Even if people are saying it, I wouldn't emulate them. It has a brain-damaged aura to it, like the speaker has severe expressive aphasia.

The French use the expression "Rien a Voir" , which I think translates to "Nothing to see With"

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/french-english/n-avoir-rien-%C3%A0-voir-avec

• #1,937
WWGD said:
The French use the expression "Rien a Voir" , which I think translates to "Nothing to see With"

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/french-english/n-avoir-rien-%C3%A0-voir-avec
The French are all brain damaged, yes. Ignore them.

• #1,938
zoobyshoe said:
The French are all brain damaged, yes. Ignore them.

Good, I can now eat Freedom Fries!

• #1,939
From "Dilbert", Wed 15 July 2015:
Dilbert said:
Advice is just ego and ignorance disguised as helpfulness.
I must try harder to remember that. :olduhh:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,940
strangerep said:
From "Dilbert", Wed 15 July 2015:
I must try harder to remember that. :olduhh:
Strange from a science "Advisor"!

• #1,941
SomeGuy said:
Dilbert is just ego and ignorance disguised as humor.

Likes Enigman
  • #1,942
Shyan said:
Strange from a science "Advisor"!
Heh, I never asked for that title, and was somewhat embarrassed when it magically appeared one day. Remember: I am only a "Strange Representation of a Science Advisor".

[OTOH, the award did make me more careful about the things I'd say. :oldwink: ]

Perhaps the Dilbert quote should say "Unsolicited advice [...]".

• #1,943
zoobyshoe said:
[...] Dilbert is just ego and ignorance disguised as humor.
You don't like Dilbert?? :confused:

• #1,944
Can electrical sockets in the UK handle desktops with 1500 watt PSUs?

• #1,945
HomogenousCow said:
...PSUs?

Power Sucking Units?

• #1,946
HomogenousCow said:
Can electrical sockets in the UK handle desktops with 1500 watt PSUs?
The standard UK electrical socket handles up to approx 3KW (nominally 13A at approx 230V).

• #1,947
Just applied to a dream job at MLBaseball. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• #1,948
Jonathan Scott said:
The standard UK electrical socket handles up to approx 3KW (nominally 13A at approx 230V).
Should be fine then. But just in case, would connecting my desktop computer to its own power socket help? (as in, having my monitor and other peripherals on another socket)

• #1,949
A couple days ago this guy I know asked on Facebook if anyone knew how to get a restraining order. He was being stalked and harassed by an ex-girlfriend.

Today he posts that she broke into his house last night when he was out and trashed thousands of dollars of stuff, mostly electronics. Then, she came back late at night when he was asleep and attacked him with a knife and tried to cut his member off.

He and his housemates restrained her and called the cops. She was still screaming insanely when the cops got there and took her away.

Then he said something mysterious, which is that a judge granted him an immediate restraining order today: he didn't have to go through the usual filing and wait. Now, what is mysterious to me is that he shouldn't need it now: she should either be in jail or undergoing psychiatric evaluation. I posted that, but he hasn't responded yet. What I'm afraid of is that he might not be pressing charges for the attack.

• #1,950

• #1,951
zoobyshoe said:
A couple days ago this guy I know asked on Facebook if anyone knew how to get a restraining order. He was being stalked and harassed by an ex-girlfriend.

Today he posts that she broke into his house last night when he was out and trashed thousands of dollars of stuff, mostly electronics. Then, she came back late at night when he was asleep and attacked him with a knife and tried to cut his member off.

He and his housemates restrained her and called the cops. She was still screaming insanely when the cops got there and took her away.

Then he said something mysterious, which is that a judge granted him an immediate restraining order today: he didn't have to go through the usual filing and wait. Now, what is mysterious to me is that he shouldn't need it now: she should either be in jail or undergoing psychiatric evaluation. I posted that, but he hasn't responded yet. What I'm afraid of is that he might not be pressing charges for the attack.

If there was an attempted deadly assault, shouldn't the police file charges?

• #1,952
HomogenousCow said:
If there was an attempted deadly assault, shouldn't the police file charges?
Well, it turns out I read his post wrong (it was a ginormous wall of text type thing, and kind of confusing). The incident with the knife was on thursday night, and the vandalism was Friday night. It seems they didn't even call the cops about the knifing, and she came back the next evening when they were out to dinner. His roommates got home first and found her vandalizing the place and they called the cops. She pulled a knife this time, too, but didn't stab anyone. The cops were there when my friend got home, but he hadn't called them, his roommates had.

Anyway, he responded to my query to say she was in jail at the current time. But earlier he said she was only being charged with the vandalism, presumably because he didn't call the cops about the knifing the previous night when it happened. I'm trying to get the story on why that would be.

He says she was fighting the cops, so they should be able to charge her with battery on a police officer, which I hope they do, but that's up to them, and is a completely separate crime than the ones committed against my friend.

• #1,953
:DDThe word "foolish" sounds strange, I know its meaning but people I think tend to call the fools idiots more often. I think I am called so almost every day.

• #1,954
zoobyshoe said:
Then, she came back late at night when he was asleep... and tried to cut his member off.
Sounds like he wakes up kinda hard... lol

• #1,955
The Physics of Football

Likes Borg and OmCheeto
  • #1,956
Remind me I have to change my oil today.

• #1,957
zoobyshoe said:
Remind me I have to change my oil today.
Change your oil today, Zooby!

• #1,958
Astronuc said:
Change your oil today, Zooby!
Doh!

Well, it's too late now. Maybe tomorrow.

• #1,959
There's a laundromat I pass often that has a sign boasting, "Every Wash is Sanitized!" And the more I think about it the less idea I have what the hell that's supposed to mean.

• #1,960
my schizo is going away. thanks to all of the people who helped me. :smile: