Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,206
HomogenousCow said:
Was that unintentionally funny?
Cant you talk to someone there in person?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,207
HomogenousCow said:
Was that unintentionally funny?
Maybe not for you. But I don't know how much of a pain in the butt this is for you, so I'm not aware of how un-funny it really is.
It's just too absurd a situation.

"Too much money in your bank account delays your visa application?"

That's like one of those internet memes about maths:

Question: When do you know you have too much money in the bank?
Answer: Purple

• #2,208
OmCheeto said:
Maybe not for you. But I don't know how much of a pain in the butt this is for you, so I'm not aware of how un-funny it really is.
It's just too absurd a situation.

"Too much money in your bank account delays your visa application?"

That's like one of those internet memes about maths:

Question: When do you know you have too much money in the bank?
Answer: Purple

I need to demonstrate that I have at least a certain amount of money in a bank account for living fees, somehow some clerk has taken that to mean i must have THAT exact amount of funds available, and no other.
This is absurd.

• #2,209
HomogenousCow said:
I need to demonstrate that I have at least a certain amount of money in a bank account for living fees, somehow some clerk has taken that to mean i must have THAT exact amount of funds available, and no other.
This is absurd.

I agree completely - I can imagine how you feel, bureaucratic screw-ups make me feel helpless and furious at the same time. I hope it all gets set straight, as soon as possible.

• #2,210
I'm back again, merry autumn everyone :D

Likes lisab
  • #2,211
HomogenousCow said:
This is absurd.
I think that's what I was getting at.
Would transferring all of your spare money into a separate account solve the problem?

Your situation sounds like a scene out of the movie "Idiocracy".
Have you ever seen it?
It's set in the distant future, and everyone is as stupid as the person you are dealing with.

I've never had to get a visa, so I didn't know that the destination country issued them.
I don't get out much. :redface:

• #2,212
OmCheeto said:
I think that's what I was getting at.
Would transferring all of your spare money into a separate account solve the problem?

Have you ever seen it?
It's set in the distant future, and everyone is as stupid as the person you are dealing with.

I've never had to get a visa, so I didn't know that the destination country issued them.
I don't get out much. :redface:

I have. Well I called them and the problem seems to be sorted out, there was "some confusion" apparently.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,213
OmCheeto said:
Have you ever seen it?
Would it be wrong to say I'm Not Sure? :oldtongue:

• #2,214
tp%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2Fffc4a2bb8d08ad3f22f3351efac51e4e%2F0x600.jpg

Likes Astronuc, lisab, Enigman and 1 other person
  • #2,215
Borg said:
Would it be wrong to say I'm Not Sure? :oldtongue:
I'll have to watch the movie again, as I'm not sure I understand your reference.
Lisa! said:
tp%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2Fffc4a2bb8d08ad3f22f3351efac51e4e%2F0x600.jpg
hmmm... Looking around the image for something I can comprehend.
Is this the maths that explains "baseball"?
I see a baseball diamond.
Girls and maths are beyond my comprehension.

• #2,216
OmCheeto said:
I'll have to watch the movie again, as I'm not sure I understand your reference.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,218
I was reading a report that many skateboarders are unwilling to wear helmets , because " helmets don't look cool".

Wow, looking cool seems more important to them than getting brain damage. Hard to understand.

• #2,219
Borg said:

O.M.G.
I really do need to watch that movie again.

• #2,220
OmCheeto said:
O.M.G.
I really do need to watch that movie again.
You forgot that the computers didn't get any smarter either. :wink:

• #2,222
57101785.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,223
I think I love my husband to the moon.

Last edited:
  • #2,225
Astronuc said:
Why rich political donors are wasting a lot of money

Speaking of which, my dad is a high powered stock broker in Santa Barbara and I think his new wife is trying to cut me out of the inheritance. This drives me nuts, he's such a spineless $%^@%. i don't know what to do. He's got a new kid with that %$6#&. And I think he's too spineless to give his first-born son his fair share. I'm not greedy, but if I don't get my fair share I'm going to feel like a chump. My grandma died 3 years ago and left a 250K estate that he was the governor of and I didn't see a dime. That's not a harbinger of great success with his legacy and the rest of the aging family. What should I do? I want to call him out on it but he'll put his tail between his legs and clam up. He's very sophisticated as playing dumb and playing poor and using his attorneys to cover his ass. I need a more clever approach.

• #2,226
Silicon Waffle said:
I think I love my husband to the moon.
Sounds like a dangerous proposition.

• #2,227
nuuskur said:
Sounds like a dangerous proposition.
I'm missing him. And I realize so. Why is it dangerous ?

• #2,228
Lisa! said:

Beautiful :angel:!

Likes OmCheeto
  • #2,229
lisab said:
Beautiful :angel:!

I agree. She's got that look like she's going to smack your knuckles with a ruler if you say you don't understand Dirac's "bra-ket" notation :eek:

• #2,230
DiracPool said:
Speaking of which, my dad is a high powered stock broker in Santa Barbara and I think his new wife is trying to cut me out of the inheritance. This drives me nuts, he's such a spineless $%^@%. i don't know what to do. He's got a new kid with that %$6#&. And I think he's too spineless to give his first-born son his fair share. I'm not greedy, but if I don't get my fair share I'm going to feel like a chump. My grandma died 3 years ago and left a 250K estate that he was the governor of and I didn't see a dime. That's not a harbinger of great success with his legacy and the rest of the aging family. What should I do? I want to call him out on it but he'll put his tail between his legs and clam up. He's very sophisticated as playing dumb and playing poor and using his attorneys to cover his ass. I need a more clever approach.
It sounds like he is pretty mean to his own children. But you are meaner and greedier. How much do you expect to get from him beside part of the properties you have contributed to (if you have) that you claim he is keeping for his own ? ?:)
I was in a similar case to yours and my husband's relatives have always been thinking (they are still now) that I was married to him because I wanted to get all his and their things (How odd! He signed everything, they are all his). And several of his family members are still leading a traditional life. But I advised him to give all his money and properties to his children and relatives so that they would not get sad, as I only needed his love. Provided that I could always have jobs to do, I would definitely buy back all of them.
In your case, do you ever think if you find yourself relaxed and enjoyable for everything after you could get anything from your parents with your tricks ? If my husband had been like your father, I wouldn't be loving him this much.

• #2,231
Silicon Waffle said:
But you are meaner and greedier. How much do you expect to get from him beside part of the properties you have contributed to (if you have) that you claim he is keeping for his own ?

Well, sorry about the rant, but it gets really frustrating when you can't connect with a loved one, a family member. As Pink Floyd puts it, "Beating your head against some mad bugger's wall." As I said in the original post, the only thing I'm really looking for is not feeling like a "chump" because I'm getting pacifically railroaded out of my inheritance. I really don't care about the money per se much at all, to be honest. In fact, I'd much rather he'd be a bum and be asking me for help. Not financial help because I'm not a bank, but maybe emotional help or something like that. Something so that I can feel like my existence means something in his life. He's never asked me for anything, ever. I think that's a terrible thing to do to a child. Everyone wants to feel like they are helping their loved ones in some capacity. To deny this is a real emotional infraction in my opinion. And that's the case with him.

Another case in point is my brother, or half-brother as is were. He's now in graduate school, I think he's 23 or something. But I never knew him. I think I met him 3 or 4 times in those 23 years. He's a good kid but he does have some emotional problems himself. You'd think my dad would say, hey (DiracPool), your brother is having a rough patch and I think he could use a talk with his big brother. But that never happened. He could have said that he wanted to send me and my brother on a trip somewhere so we could get to know each other better, but that never happened. Instead he took a divide and conquer approach and as far as I'm concerned everybody loses. So I'm not going to dwell on it, I'm at the age now where I really don't much care about it anymore. However, I do care about not feeling like I'm getting ripped off. It's just brass taxes, bottom line, that simple.

In any case, sorry again for whining, but it's fresh in my mind because I saw my "analyst" today. And I'm just answering your post :biggrin:

• #2,233
Gramps wanted to assemble a cupboard and put it in a room. The only entrance to the room had X meters in height, the smallest measurement of the cupboard relative to the door's height is exactly the same. Result, assemble cupboard outside of room only to discover it won't fit through the door (NO MEASUREMENTS WERE MADE BEFOREHAND !). Disassemble parts of it to get it through, but the parts that were removed supported the entire thing in the first place. Consequence: nigh everything is broken, most of the details are damaged beyond repair, especially the parts that connect details together. Facepalm...

Moral of the story: measure the damn thing and see if it will fit through somehow in the first place. Oh, but no, what do I know, I'm just a uni student (their exact words)..
god !#¤%#¤% damn it!

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,235
Likes lisab, Astronuc, Lisa! and 2 others
  • #2,236
Evo said:
I made sure that Evo Child traveled the world before she became burdened by a job.
Wish there were more parents that share your opinion. I had to "escape" to see the world before uni and work.

• #2,237
nuuskur said:
Wish there were more parents that share your opinion. I had to "escape" to see the world before uni and work.
That's a shame. :frown:

• #2,238
Evo said:
I made sure that Evo Child traveled the world before she became burdened by a job.
You're a good lady. :bow: You've had you fair share of the world; more than me that is.

• #2,239
Neither me nor my parents were that rich to travel the world. We only traveled to Rome and Paris last year!:angel:

• #2,240
I read PF using my very old hand phone and see all images/avatars in posts' quotes are mine. I don't want to change the phone because I don't have money and I'm still so much in love with the old one.