Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,241
How did I not know Iron Maiden released a new album today?

What an awesome year, Lamb of God, Disturbed and Muse already released an album.
Slayer is soon to come.
And I saw some awesome shows AC/DC for free even :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
Lamb of God still rocking? :eek: Hell it was like 05 or so when I last heard from them.

• #2,243
Lisa! said:
Neither me nor my parents were that rich to travel the world. We only traveled to Rome and Paris last year!:angel:
Sounds like my family. The only reason we got to go to Canada, was because my dad was in the Air Force. We were so poor, we had to drive all the way to Alaska.
Though I did get to visit Germany when I was eleven. My mother was born there, and went back to visit all of our relatives about every 3 or 4 years. It's quite a bit cheaper to travel when you have a place to stay for free.
I didn't care for the trip much. I didn't speak very many words of German, and whenever I would meet my relatives, they would look at me, mumble something, mother would say; "elf", and then they would stare at me, and mutter; "elf", and then go; "hmmm..." (probably where I picked up that habit...)

I was very sensitive about being a bit on the short side, and did not appreciate everyone referring to me as "an elf".

I hated them all...

Ok. A bit of hyperbole, on my part, as I didn't hate my cousin Klaus. We had fun playing Soccer. Or, as he called it; "Fussball".

-----------------------
For all of you who do not speak German, "elf" is their word for "eleven". So, for all you English speakers, who may in the future, happen to travel to Germany, with a diminutive 11 year old, please advise them of that fact. :oldgrumpy:

Likes lisab, edward, Silicon Waffle and 2 others
  • #2,244
OmCheeto said:
I was very sensitive about being a bit on the short side, and did not appreciate everyone referring to me as "an elf".

I hated them all...

Ok. A bit of hyperbole, on my part, as I didn't hate my cousin Klaus. We had fun playing Soccer. Or, as he called it; "Fussball".
I would have been surprised if Klaus didn't get along with an elf. :oldwink:

• #2,245
I have never been to Europe before. And I also don't like it.

• #2,246
Silicon Waffle said:
Heard the tap water over the pond sucks, not so here :)

E: Apologies for the confusion, I am from Europe and to my knowledge the tap water is crap over the pond, relative to my frame of reference. You may unlike my post now :D

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,247
Silicon Waffle said:

If you like 'special' beers, come to Belgium.

I've tasted some beers England, Germany, the Netherlands and France and I don't like 'em.
I am however curious for the craft beers available in the US. Mainly because they are 'new' (in comparison to ours)

Our music is better as well :devil:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,248
just bought some tuning forks, going to learn all I can about them at least down to the metal structures. PHYSICS!

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,249
Evo said:
I made sure that Evo Child traveled the world before she became burdened by a job.
One reason that I took my first job was that it required me to travel overseas. I've enjoyed all my trips to Europe and Asia, and I would love to see the rest of the world.
JorisL said:

I've tasted some beers England, Germany, the Netherlands and France and I don't like 'em.
I am however curious for the craft beers available in the US. Mainly because they are 'new' (in compare son to ours)
I enjoy Trappiste ales, but my favorite beers are various Imperial Stouts (and to a lesser degree, Imperial Porters) aged in bourbon barrels. I also like certain Scottish ales aged in Whiskey or Rum barrels.

One will find a large variety of craft beers in the US, in addition to imported beers from UK and EU.

• #2,250
Astronuc said:
One reason that I took my first job was that it required me to travel overseas. I've enjoyed all my trips to Europe and Asia, and I would love to see the rest of the world.
I enjoy Trappiste ales, but my favorite beers are various Imperial Stouts (and to a lesser degree, Imperial Porters) aged in bourbon barrels. I also like certain Scottish ales aged in Whiskey or Rum barrels.
I'm glad that I allowed her to travel when she had the opportunity, who knows when she'll have the same opportunities. I was lucky that I was able travel in my 30's, thanks to winning trips as prizes at work. It's sad that the trip we won to the Middle East was canceled due to the Gulf War. From the information we were sent about the places we'd visit like the Blue Mosque, it would have been fascinating.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,251
Evo said:
I'm glad that I allowed her to travel when she had the opportunity, who knows when she'll have the same opportunities. I was lucky that I was able travel in my 30's, thanks to winning trips as prizes at work. It's sad that the trip we won to the Middle East was canceled due to the Gulf War. From the information we were sent about the places we'd visit like the Blue Mosque, it would have been fascinating.
Yeah - I was looking at traveling to many places in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and parts of the ME, before I started college. In retrospect, I should have gone then, because it's been downhill since. It would be difficult for me to travel there now.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,252
Likes OmCheeto, lisab, jim hardy and 1 other person
  • #2,253
nuuskur said:
Heard the tap water over the pond sucks, not so here :)

E: Apologies for the confusion, I am from Europe and to my knowledge the tap water is crap over the pond, relative to my frame of reference. You may unlike my post now :D
Then my Like for your post is as a present for your confession! Amen!

• #2,254
JorisL said:

I am however curious for the craft beers available in the US. Mainly because they are 'new' (in comparison to ours)

Our music is better as well :devil:
I don't smoke and drink. Tabaco's smoke makes me cough a lot; I am allergic to beer or alcohol, I can sleep immediately after taking it a little. I love the music part and sightseeing but I don't have $$$ to travel far.

• #2,255
dlgoff said:
this picture shows what it's all about.

wow...

Fair Anne and i just watched the "14 Diaries" of WW1 on Netflix. It's a re-enactment of what several people experienced in "The Great War", taken from their actual diaries. They wove in lots of film footage from the times .
Drives home that caption.

Ever read Mark Twain's " War Prayer "?

• #2,256
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Mooneyhan is a male pageant winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,257
jim hardy said:
Ever read Mark Twain's " War Prayer "?
No. I prefer material with equations. :oldbiggrin:

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,258
jim hardy said:
Fair Anne and i just watched the "14 Diaries" of WW1 on Netflix. It's a re-enactment of what several people experienced in "The Great War", taken from their actual diaries. They wove in lots of film footage from the times .
Drives home that caption.

I just searched Netflix to review that and didn't find it. Are you sure it's still on there? I remember watching this series because I'm a world war bough, though I think I didn't really like the 14 Daires series much, but I can't remember why.

• #2,259
30 military cadets hurt in West Point pillow fight - Seriously!?
http://news.yahoo.com/30-military-cadets-hurt-west-point-pillow-fight-055055865.html

Washington (AFP) - Thirty cadets who just completed their first-year summer training at the prestigious US Military Academy at West Point were injured when an annual pillow fight tradition turned bloody, The New York Times reported.

The brawl left 24 young cadets with concussions, The Academy told the paper, after reports that some stuffed their pillows with hard objects.

. . . , the list of wounds included one broken leg as well as dislocated shoulders.
. . .
the August 20 pillow fight took a turn for the worse when some cadets reportedly stuffed the helmets they were encouraged to wear during the fracas inside their pillow cases.
. . .
And these young men are supposed to be proud of themselves?

Building esprit de corps is fine, but is it really necessary to batter one another to do so?

It is apparently an annual tradition since 1897.

• #2,260
Astronuc said:
It is apparently an annual tradition since 1897.

I personally think we should consecrate Kevin Bacon's hazing an iconic gesture to eradicate any future hazing ceremonies!

• #2,261
DiracPool said:
I just searched Netflix to review that and didn't find it. Are you sure it's still on there? I remember watching this series because I'm a world war bough, though I think I didn't really like the 14 Daires series much, but I can't remember why.
might be actually titled "The Great War Diary"
upload_2015-9-5_7-57-23.png

under genre 'emotional war documentaries' on our machine
but i don't trust computers to be consistent.

i'm not versed enough in history to know how complete it is
but it covers a LOT of military actions
from sides of both soldiers and civilians.
And delivers a feel for the carnage.

I'd rank it the most moving anti-war film since Peter Watkins' "The War Game"
this one from 1965,
http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/documentary/international/wargame.php

not that silly kids with computers "War Games" from 1983

• #2,262
jim hardy said:
not that silly kids with computers "War Games" from 1983

C'mon Jim, you really didn't like War Games with Matthew Broderick and Dabney Coleman? I haven't seen a movie with Dabney Coleman I didn't like. He's the perfect straight man jerk you love to hate.

Btw, I did find that series under "the great war diary." And it looks as though I watch all 8 episodes in their entirety. So maybe I didn't dislike it so much after all. I will revisit a few episodes and check back in on that. What I'm especially frustrated over, though, is that I ran a search on Netflix, both on my smartphone and on my laptop on World War documentaries and it didn't show up. Check it out for yourself. If I had more initiative I'd contact Netflix about their substandard search engine

• #2,263
I have a random thought...Since no one wants to engage me in a political or scientific tete-a-tete here on PF at 7:38 AM Pacific Standard time, I'm going to log out and watch Rambo 3 on Netflix :kiss:

• #2,264
jim hardy said:
I'd rank it the most moving anti-war film since Peter Watkins' "The War Game"
this one from 1965,
http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/documentary/international/wargame.php
From your link,
The War Game can also be likened to Lynne Littman’s Testament or Nicholas Meyer’s The Day After (both 1983).
A lot of "The Day After" was filmed in Lawrence, Kansas. I watched some of that filming. Here's a little tidbit from Wikipedia that I find amusing.
On Monday, August 30, 1982, ABC shut down Rusty's IGA supermarket in Lawrence's Hillcrest Shopping Center from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. to shoot a scene representing panic buying. A local man and his infant son came to the market, apparently unaware that ABC was filming a movie. The man reportedly saw the chaos and ran back into his car in fear.

• #2,265
My daughter just called from Ponce, Puerto Rico to tell me how things were going and her "after tournament" plans, as she planed for four extra days. Her Master's son, who's also in the competition, lives in San Juan and is going to take her to non-touristy areas to see. Monday, snorkeling along the west shoreline; Tuesday, a day in the mountainous regions, Wednesday, in the San Juan area until coming back late Thursday. Sounds like a plan to me; lucky girl. :oldcool:

Likes lisab
  • #2,266
DiracPool said:
C'mon Jim, you really didn't like War Games with Matthew Broderick and Dabney Coleman? I haven't seen a movie with Dabney Coleman I didn't like. He's the perfect straight man ******* you love to hate.

Can't say i disliked it, just it's a non-memorable piece of entertainment.
The Watkins film though was so powerful it still gives me chills after fifty years. I saw it at a theater in Columbia, Mo in '65 or '66.

DiracPool said:
I'm going to log out and watch Rambo 3 on Netflix :kiss:
Fair Anne and i went to local theater to see Terminator IV and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Arnold is aging gracefullly.
3-D has got a lot better since i was ten yrs old...

• #2,267
My big cat knows when the milk I offer him turns sour. He refuses or stops drinking it immediately. Yes he should. :cool:

• #2,268
I just got a message
Established Member
Happy one year anniversary! Thanks for being a member for so long!

Has it really already been a year? :eek:

Likes Borg and lisab
  • #2,269
I'm doing some studying today and ran across the following video.
I had to do a double take when I saw the name of the speaker. o_O

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,271
I don't know how much farmers collect after each crop rotation.
Today is different from yesterday, now they just need to sit, type, call, then have some laborers collect the food. So easy and leisurely. No one gets infected with germs or virus. :oldcool:

• #2,272
Picking potatoes in the rain is so much fun -.- On the bright side, the potatoes are already clean more or less, not covered in semi-dry mud thing thing, the rain's washed the surface. Much easier to peel clean potatoes.

The cleanliness of the whole system (me and the field of potatoes) is conservative, though. What ever dirt washed away from the potatoes, stuck on my clothes. yucko

• #2,273
nuuskur said:
Picking potatoes in the rain is so much fun -.- On the bright side, the potatoes are already clean more or less, not covered in semi-dry mud thing thing, the rain's washed the surface. Much easier to peel clean potatoes.

The cleanliness of the whole system (me and the field of potatoes) is conservative, though. What ever dirt washed away from the potatoes, stuck on my clothes. yucko
:DD Bhuahha...

• #2,274
Found this new channel, "AHC" , while recently surfing, American Heroes Channel , but strangely, around 95% of the programming ( at least recently) is about Hitler's life and WW2, before the involvement of the U.S. Without the context I have, it would seem to imply that Hitler is an American hero.